• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is the primary truck brand on your operation?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

What is the primary truck brand on your operation?

• Chevy/GMC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dodge

• Ford

• Toyota

• Other

• Total voters

Triangle Bar

Reaction score
In the September issue of the FarmJournal magazine, there was an interesting poll of what the primary brand of pickup that was used by farmers. I was certainly surprised that Dodge didn't have a better showing in the poll. You can read the entire article at the link below
http://www.agweb.com/farmjournal/article/pulse_report_truck_and_tractor_habits/

I was wondering if those results were representative of the folks here, so I thought it might be fun and interesting to have a Rancher's.net poll.

IMG_0429.png

If the poll had been taken in the oil field, Dodge would have won all the way! :D That's about all you see here. Not saying Chev and Ford aren't good, they are. It's the Cummins that makes Dodge popular. Friend of ours has a Ford one-ton for town and a Dodge 1-ton for work. :D

B Reversed Crazy B said:
Ford without stimulas cash and bail outs thank you--

Welcome to the board, B Reversed Crazy B!

While Ford did not take a 'bailout' it did take federal money:

While Ford was making noise about not taking federal bailout money, they and other major automakers (both foreign and domestic) got federal aid to the tune of tens of billions of dollars when the economy tanked in 2008.

Yesterday, the federal government released the names of companies and the amounts of loans handed out during the financial crisis of 2008 to keep loans flowing as credit dried up everywhere. A number of those companies were the lending arms of automakers.

Automotive blog Jalopnik broke down which automotive lending companies got the most help, and leading the way was Ford Credit, which borrowed $15.9 billion. GMAC, GM's financing arm which provided auto loans beyond the GM family of vehicles, took $13.9 billion. BMW took $6.2 billion. Chrysler $4.9 billion and Toyota $4.6 billion.

The GM and Chrysler loans were completely separate from those two companies' government-financed bankruptcies.

While the news and numbers aren't earth shattering — funds to the automotive lending companies totaled just $57.9 billion out of $3.3 trillion in TARP funds — it could color Ford's perception as the only Detroit-based company that didn't need a federal handout during the economic crash.

That's a perception the company has fueled itself, by making statements about how not taking a "bailout" has been beneficial to its recent resurgence. We realize the two transactions are quite different, and this loan was not a bailout.

But we wonder how the public will see it.

All of this aid has since been repaid with interest to the government

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/12/report-ford-took-federal-funds-too.html

Faster horses said:
B Reversed Crazy B said:

While Ford was making noise about not taking federal bailout money, they and other major automakers (both foreign and domestic) got federal aid to the tune of tens of billions of dollars when the economy tanked in 2008.

Yesterday, the federal government released the names of companies and the amounts of loans handed out during the financial crisis of 2008 to keep loans flowing as credit dried up everywhere. A number of those companies were the lending arms of automakers.

Automotive blog Jalopnik broke down which automotive lending companies got the most help, and leading the way was Ford Credit, which borrowed $15.9 billion. GMAC, GM's financing arm which provided auto loans beyond the GM family of vehicles, took $13.9 billion. BMW took $6.2 billion. Chrysler $4.9 billion and Toyota $4.6 billion.

The GM and Chrysler loans were completely separate from those two companies' government-financed bankruptcies.

While the news and numbers aren't earth shattering — funds to the automotive lending companies totaled just $57.9 billion out of $3.3 trillion in TARP funds — it could color Ford's perception as the only Detroit-based company that didn't need a federal handout during the economic crash.

That's a perception the company has fueled itself, by making statements about how not taking a "bailout" has been beneficial to its recent resurgence. We realize the two transactions are quite different, and this loan was not a bailout.

All of this aid has since been repaid with interest to the government.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/12/report-ford-took-federal-funds-too.html

If the aid has been repaid with interest to the government, it should now be a non-issue.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:
B Reversed Crazy B said:

All of this aid has since been repaid with interest to the government.

If the aid has been repaid with interest to the government, it should now be a non-issue.

I'm glad to see you are feeling better, Soapweed! :D

It said ALL THE AID, so I suppose that means from all the auto companies, so I agree, it should be a non-issue. I only mentioned it since it was something that was brought up on this thread. :D

Wish yota would make a ton diesel. I would be all over it. But my vote went for ford. 3-7.3's hard to beat....

4Diamond said:
Wish yota would make a ton diesel. I would be all over it. But my vote went for ford. 3-7.3's hard to beat....

They make 3/4 & heavier truck and there was some rumor of them being sold here but I'm sure the lobbyists won out.

I have three GMCs a 77', 92', & a 02', all pre obambi :wink: motors and a 99' Dodge.

I owned Fords for many many years. My first was a 63, that I bought when I was 11 years old, and pretty much only owned Fords up until I bought a 2001, 1 ton, 7.3 4X4. Between it and the local dealer, I am now a Dodge owner, and will be as long as they keep building them like the one I now own.

While I appreciate you trying to educate me--- It was much different deal than the other makers took though agreed a handout is a hand out- in fact there was no way to compete if they didn't influx cash to keep up adn ahead of the others.-- I'll still take my 7.3 against anything else wish I could get a new one--- chevy for ride- dodge to keep you afoot and ford for the tough work---- Thanks for the welcome.

Faster horses said:
If the poll had been taken in the oil field, Dodge would have won all the way!

I think that would depend entirely on which oilfield. They are the exception rather than the rule in our oilfield.

I bought my first Ford a year ago because I won't buy anything owned by Obama Motors and the unions. However, I'm really hoping that GM can get the govt paid off and the unions paid off and get back to making trucks on their own. I don't want another Ford. Mine is a 1 ton 6.2 gas. My 07 Chevy didn't pull as well as the Ford but quality was much better. The Ford seems like a cheap version of the Chevy to me.

B Reversed Crazy B wrote:

I Agree

Ford didnt need the bail out with as much as they make from there service departments since the 6.0 came out.

I have all Fords. And always have, but it everything goes right i am hoping to have anything but Fords in the near future. If you like ford and want to end up hating them buy a couple 6.0 powerstrokes. $14500 in repairs last year on 3 pickups, put around 50000 miles/year combined total. And we are gonna top that this year after a new motor gets put in one.

eatbeef said:

I Agree

Ford didnt need the bail out with as much as they make from there service departments since the 6.0 came out.

I have all Fords. And always have, but it everything goes right i am hoping to have anything but Fords in the near future. If you like ford and want to end up hating them buy a couple 6.0 powerstrokes. $14500 in repairs last year on 3 pickups, put around 50000 miles/year combined total. And we are gonna top that this year after a new motor gets put in one.

Yup, Ford stepped in it with the 6.0. At least they had enough sense to abandon that ship.

Silver said:
eatbeef said:

I Agree

Yup, Ford stepped in it with the 6.0. At least they had enough sense to abandon that ship.

And how long did that take?

Silver wrote:
eatbeef wrote:
Quote:

I Agree

Well they made them from 03 to 07. What a joke they are. 6.4 aren't any better. They say they got the 6.7's figured out but who in there right mind can afford a new $50000 plus pickup and actually put it to work. Ford is going to continue to lose business over this for a long time. I have owned all fords in my life, 77, 82, 86, 91, 96, 97, 99, 04, 05, 06, 08, and i will never buy another one.

Faster horses said:
Silver said:
eatbeef said:

Your point? The 6.0 was only one engine offered during that time. If Dodge gives up on their current diesel offering in 2014 then it will have taken them a similar amount of time to learn the error of their ways. ;)

Heard of a diesel shop that had a cure for Ford's powerstroke problems...........installing rebuilt 24v 5.9 cummins for not much more than what a 6.0 l head gasket rebuild cost! Always meant to check that one out as Ford would finally have a real engine.

Latest posts