• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whats it worth?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

paniolo

Reaction score
My wife, kids, and I are planning on buying a ranch and moving back to the mainland (Wyo/Mont) and have been toying with the idea of setting up a place and calving 1st calf heifers until I can get a herd built. What would be a fair price per heifer? I was figuring feed and 60-90 days. I know of one place that calved the heifers kept them for the year and rebred them. sent them back bred three year olds, in exchange the got the calves. How willing would ranches be to go this route. The ranch I'm looking at will run about 300AU
Thanks for any input.

I was offered a deal to take heifer calves in the fall and give them back as bred coming three's.

I'd have a yr's feed in them at first preg check, another one at first calf check--$$. I'd get all the calves. Two yrs feed for one yrs calf crop don't work for me. If a guy had lots of cheap feed, it might work for him.

If I'm understanding deal you've heard about, you put in one yrs feed for one yr's calf crop---I'd say that don't work for cow owner.

If a guy's got lots of cheap winter feed, about 8 outa 10 yrs it should work to buy a gob of old cows starting right about now. Oughta be able to take them up a grade. And price on same grade should be higher in say 3 mos. And you got more pounds. And should have some to sell as bred. And only operating on borrowed money for about 3 mos or so.

Litle Joe Thnaks for the reply

[I was offered a deal to take heifer calves in the fall and give them back as bred coming three's.

I'd have a yr's feed in them at first preg check, another one at first calf check--$$. I'd get all the calves. Two yrs feed for one yrs calf crop don't work for me. If a guy had lots of cheap feed, it might work for him. ]

I agree time form when you enter up and get paid would be too long for me.

The place I metioned not sure how they calculated but heard they were happy with how it worked out. It may have been more an issue with facillities, and labor.

On a per head basis what do you think the market would bare, if they came in, calved out and went home? I was thinking of a scale

1) easy calf no or little assistance X amt
2) easy pull X amt
3) hard pull X amt
4) C-sec X amt

[If a guy's got lots of cheap winter feed, about 8 outa 10 yrs it should work to buy a gob of old cows starting right about now. Oughta be able to take them up a grade. And price on same grade should be higher in say 3 mos. And you got more pounds. And should have some to sell as bred. And only operating on borrowed money for about 3 mos or so.]

Would be worth trying!

Thanks Tony

'On a per head basis what do you think the market would bare, if they came in, calved out and went home? I was thinking of a scale

1) easy calf no or little assistance X amt
2) easy pull X amt
3) hard pull X amt
4) C-sec X amt "

I'd keep it simple. A per head price, straight thru---enuf to cover feed, yardage, labor and profit. You'd probably have some of all above calving ease categories. If the guys cattle have many c=sec at all, that bill's on him===

Latest posts