• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

There was a fire just down the freeway a couple miles yesterday. It has been so smokey from the big one that I couldn't see the smoke from a local one. I heard about the fire but not a good description of where. All the fire equipment was gone and I couldn't find anyone. Finally two neighbor ladies came back with a brush truck. They said nobody pumped a drop of water. The site is so steep it was entirely fought from the air. They had just sat there and watched the show. It got to the top of the ridge and just stopped. Must have been some fire retardant up there. Both sides of the fire have red retardant strips on the hill.

We got almost .20" this early morning, then .50" while we were gone this afternoon! Must've come fast as there is water standing everywhere. Good thing as there was lightning with it.

I didn't see any lightning but I heard lots of thunder. I haven't looked at the rain gauge but I am sure Nicky got more rain than I did.

Woke up this morning to lots of thunder and lightning. The lightning strike map shows hits all around me. There wasn't a drop of rain. Now, an hour later it is raining a little. This could get interesting. It is just now starting to get light out. We will see what the day brings.

More thunder and lightning this afternoon. This time the lightning strike map shows strikes up in the area of the 2016 fire in the head of Ebell and Alder Creeks. That is over 100,000 acres of standing dead trees from the fire and a ton of dry grass this year. If a fire starts up there it will be Katy bar the door.

Only one rain here since June and it was paltry. The smoke has finally moved out. Only one week of it and 3 days in high hazard. Really cooled today and the nights are nice. There is a fall feeling in the air.

The 4th cutting of alfalfa was just baled and looks about the same yield as 1, 2, and 3. All of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have been sold and hauled off headed west. A few bales of the 4th have been sold. No idea about the price but I can imagine the price of dairy products will go up again. No water has yet started on the fields so I doubt with the cool weather and frost time approaching that they will bother with a 5th. I doubt the yield would pay for the harvest cost.

It is 74 now after 5 PM with a light wind. 44 predicted for tonight.

I heard we got over 9 inches of rain in august snd it's powder dry on top. I sorted some calves day before yesterday and I could wipe dust off of my arms with my hands . No rain in a couple weeks and we're dry again.
That is amazing you could get that much in a month and still be dry. 9" is our average annual precipitation.

Latest posts