• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Finally getting a little bit of rain here.Rain totals the last 4 mornings at 7 AM were; .6, .1, .4, .35. It's amazing what 6/10ths of an inch of rain did to the hybrid grasses in 12 hours time. They are like sponges,and were already making chlorophyl in just 8 or 9 hours.The leaders were Coastal Bermuda,B Dahl Bluestem,and Kleingrass. The 3rd evening I noticed Lovegrass,Swictchgrass,and Buffalo grass starting to turn.

Overnight and tomorrow morning are going to be or last good chances for any moisture until the middle of October.With the recent moisture I can at least get some land tilled and prepped for wheat now. Will probably dry plant around the 10th of October, or just before I think it's going to rain again.

It is about 40 out there this morning. Yesterday was one of the first mornings in a long time that the day didn't start out wearing irrigation boots. I think I am done irrigating until next May.

It was 38 this morning when I went out to do calf check as the sun just starting to show up. I either need wait an hour or two to do this check or break out the warm gloves. My fingers got cold putting around on the quad looking at calves who were looking at me.

Handlebar warmers are worth every penny no matter the cost.
In your neighborhood I would insist on them too. Frankly I have never seen or heard of anyone having them here. When I bought that quad during Covid it was very difficult to find a quad let alone one with additional options.

In your neighborhood I would insist on them too. Frankly I have never seen or heard of anyone having them here. When I bought that quad during Covid it was very difficult to find a quad let alone one with additional options.
Just because you haven't seen or heard of them in your area does not make them a bad idea. You could be a trend setter. And you will thank me later. I would expect there will be many cool mornings and in fact days at your place over the next 6 months. Treat yourself. Get the thumb warmer too.

We had a real downpour last night and this morning. Here is our yard

Attachments

• 20230922_110721.jpg
    20230922_110721.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
Our rain chances are over for about a month it looks like.Got a little over 2 inches,in a 5 day period, that started about 2 weeks ago and ended a week ago.Mud is gone.Barely made the creek run again,and I've got some new grass coming up in the pastures,as well as,old greening back up.I'm still supplementing a little hay,but have cut back on protein as some of the girls have the runs a little bit.Prepped 90 acres yesterday for wheat that I'll dry plant just before our rain chances around the 20th of October.

Life is good.HaHa

High of 48 today, to be a tad warmer tomorrow but gusts to 40 mph...and we are trailing the cows home. At least they shouldn't get hot.

High of 48 today, to be a tad warmer tomorrow but gusts to 40 mph...and we are trailing the cows home. At least they shouldn't get hot.
Better have a stampede string on your hat. Sitting down in this hole we don't get much wind but it howled last night and is still howling this morning.

Finally getting a nice ran this morning ,not sure how much yet but the first puddles on the sidewalk have seen all summer
Yard full of hunters, we have 4 CO's/ game wardens here hunting plus one's Dad and we have 4 with 2 more coming upland bird hunters, These folks all run Weimaraner dogs.
We get to meet people from all over hosting hunters, so many great people.
Nicky I know I have asked before but what breed do you and Mike use?
I was talking to a dog trainer on the phone last night, a Phil from Toronto but his wife/partner was a Sarah was from Idaho. Sorry I don't have a last name, they are staying at a neighbors place training by the sounds of it about 4 different breeds of pointers and retrievers,
They just had 4 of the Gray Ghosts out for a morning run and a 6 month old pup just pointed on a Pheasant The lady was pretty happy.

Latest posts