• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tough day ahead for Texas cattle. We had temps in the mid-70's a couple of days ago but 30's and raining here this morning. A lot of Texas is under a Winter Storm Warning with some heavy snows expected in West Texas, but a Flood Watch over most of East Texas with a cold, heavy rain. If you've got some sun wherever you are, enjoy your day. For the rest of us, suck it up and get busy 'cause it's gonna be a long day.

Best of luck to y'all. We woke up to more snow and a balmy 14. After -4 the night before it feels plumb warm. Had three ewes lamb in 24 hrs. And that's why I've spent so much time building good sheds and barns. All are doing great.

Finally getting some much needed rain. So far we have gotten 2.50 inches and the weather man said we could get up to 5 by this time its done. Most of the creeks around here have been dry so this might get them to flowing again. A lot of the winter cover crops planted earlier in the year still hasn't came up yet. Several ranchers was worried that this year was going to turn into the 2011 year. That rain we got around 16 inches the hold year when we normally get 38- 40 inches. So this water will take a lot of the pressure off of peoples minds. Now if the calf prices will go back up.

Tough day ahead for Texas cattle. We had temps in the mid-70's a couple of days ago but 30's and raining here this morning. A lot of Texas is under a Winter Storm Warning with some heavy snows expected in West Texas, but a Flood Watch over most of East Texas with a cold, heavy rain. If you've got some sun wherever you are, enjoy your day. For the rest of us, suck it up and get busy 'cause it's gonna be a long day.
What part of Texas are you at? It got down right hot the other day. My day mare started losing her winter coat I notices the other day. I bet she wishes she had it now.

Here at the Golden Triangle we got 1 1/2 inches of much needed rain, don't see many puddles, but it looks like the cracks are filled back in.
Winter grass, winter weeds and clover will grow good now.
Lows over the past week down to 34, no freeze this time. Going back up to normal for South Texas this next week.
Cattle will get off the hay feeders. Calves will grow now and the price of calves will be coming up.
Just hope we get some more later to keep everything going.
Farmers down the highway has planted their corn, will be up next week with the afternoon temps back in the mid 70's.

Today is nasty outside. Wind and snow. Winter has finally arrived. 29 degrees. Blowing snow. YUK.
We had a horrible 100 mph winds Wednesday night and into Thursday. got a covering of snow last night as at least a couple weeks of colder weather on it's was. Tammy was going to a bigger center today to do banking ect but turned around as snow was sticking on main highway making it poor for traveling.

We are having our standard for this winter. Clear, high of 40 and low around 20. Where we are the wind would almost have to blow straight down to get to us. A little breeze once in a while but no wind. Some snow up higher but none down here in the valley.

We are having our standard for this winter. Clear, high of 40 and low around 20. Where we are the wind would almost have to blow straight down to get to us. A little breeze once in a while but no wind. Some snow up higher but none down here in the valley.
What, No wind?

You don't know what you're missing.

What, No wind?

You don't know what you're missing.
Between selling out on the coast and buying this place we lived for the better part of a year on the east end of the Columbia Gorge. Believe me I know what I am missing. And I don't miss it at all.

The house sits at about 2,700 feet. The hill to the south side a mile away is 4,700 feet. The one to the west is 5,100. The ridge to the north is shorter but it is right up close there blocking the wind. To the east is the open side going down the valley. But to that side there is a little rocky ridge to sticks out into the valley that acts as a wind block to the house. Drive 3 miles down the road to B's house and it will be blowing. But back up here there is barely a breeze. The old timers who built here knew what they were doing. Except this time of the year the sun doesn't hit the house until 10:00 AM and goes behind the hill at 2:00.

Warmest winter to this point that I can recall. I know we will pay, in fact the weather man claims we are about to get some seasonal weather the next week or so, but I've enjoyed every day of this balmy winter.

A rare site to see the hills bared off this time of year.
CBF465C9-001E-427F-BEA2-961FA34CEBC1.jpeg

We have been very mild and little snow. A few days of horrid wind.
Today was one of the rawest days we have had for a while and we were putting windows in the daughters house. Been ready for over a month and they showed up today.

We have been mild. When it does snow it is gone by the afternoon. If the weather guessers are right next week will be different. They say snow every day starting Monday. This little bit from this morning is gone now.

Attachments

• P1202313.JPG
    P1202313.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 25
Mild temperatures here, but persistent wind. Not horrid, but we have seen some "I ain't ever seen that befores". Electric fence posts are getting stretched out flat with corn fodder. North side of every tree row is decorated and the power lines have the occasional corn stalk draped on them, horizontally. The poor cows are fat, although probably psychologically damaged. Some of them arrived in a similar fashion. Saving about 9 loads of cow hay per week, so I will carry on until the end of next month. I had a bunch of hay available in case it snowed so I knew it wouldn't. Not sure what those pairs will turn out on next spring.

We had a skiff of snow last night, sure helped with the dust. Almost no wind today, that's written down for sure.

Woke up to 3 inches of heavy wet snow!!!!!! More may come later today and Monday. Wish y'all could see me dancing a jig. Or possibly be grateful you can't 😂

Latest posts