• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Spring sprung past few days in 40's low in 15f no new snow thank u,. calving any day now

Gone from Winter right into Summer.It doesn't look like we will have a Spring.We are still very dry with only about an inch of rain since August.Temps here are mid 90's now and the wind is high during the day.Several big fires around have everyone on high alert.Some people have lost everything.

100% chance of rain tomorrow, which actually at the time being is not great. We're trying to rebuild an old barn on our property and doing the tractor work clearing some of the brush around the old barn made the ground real boggy, so I'd rather give it time to dry up. I don't make the rules, though, and we'll work with what we get.

Got hailed on some today and the rain gauge showed barely a tenth of an inch. But I sure ain't going to complain. We will take all that comes. Snowpack is dwindling much too fast. Grass is trying to come. Praying for April and May rains. Sorry to hear about the Texas fires. Pray y'all get some rain soon 🙏

I got a little rain yesterday but most of it dropped on Nicky before it got here. The morning shower didn't do much good but the evening shower seemed to make the grass jump.

Big and wet snow!

Attachments

• 2E40E44B-ACD0-4FA9-9718-47379304C409.jpeg
    2E40E44B-ACD0-4FA9-9718-47379304C409.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 5D235367-09AB-443E-B8B8-B5E8C139FBC9.jpeg
    5D235367-09AB-443E-B8B8-B5E8C139FBC9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Nice rain here again last night. Water is now in the ditch and wheel lines ready, but no need to turn them on yet. Pasture and even the higher dryer range grass look exceptional. A big hostile wind is predicted here for today with warnings of power outages and possible downed trees. I am not too excited about that. Temperatures are a bit on the cool side for April.

Not looking good here, got maybe .10" last week, only rain so far. Snowpack is 4 FEET below last year. When the snow went off and the frost went out it was dusty.
That will probably translate into early irrigation cutoffs around here for those getting water from reservoirs.

We got maybe an inch of snow in the night. High wind warnings through tomorrow til noon. Could be gusts up to 70 mph. We have lots of trees around our house and this wind, and those trees are making Mr. FH nervous. Today I will call tree trimmers to come and take a look at what can be done. They are Golden Willows to the west, and they are old. We don't have any idea of the root system of Golden Willows. We get most of the wind from the NW. We have Blue Spruce and Ponderosa trees to the north and east, plus other trees like quaking asps (my favorite) and cottonwoods. We lived where there weren't many trees for so long it's been nice having them, but we sure don't want them to fall on the house. I belong to a local CattleWomen's group here and when an older lady called to let me know of the April meeting, we talked about the wind. She said "the wind never used to blow here." That's what we remember, except when there was a blizzard, we didn't have wind like this.

Anyway, according to the local weather, we could get up to 12" of snow starting on Sunday and run through Wednesday morning. It will be cold too. This could mean a bad spring storm. We've been through those before when we ranched here in the 60's and 70's. We suffered a Good Friday Storm in 1973 that killed a lot of livestock. We found some of the neighbors sheep that had blown under. We looked for steam coming out of a drift and started shovelling the sheep out. It blew so hard, 98 mph winds with record snow that it blew the cracks of barns and sheds so full of wind-driven snow that what was inside died from lack of oxygen. A lady sheep rancher near Gillette had sheep in a shed that had just been sheared, or was just going to be sheared (not sure which) and the shed plugged up with snow and they all died. There were layers of dead sheep, and the ones on the bottom were cooked from the heat of those on the layers above. It was a 3 day KILLER storm, the worse we had ever experienced. Friends lost 800 head of sheep. There are a lot more stories of what on during that time, it was awful. Then there was a bad spring storm in 1984, they said was worse than the one in 1973 but we were in Montana at that time. I know it killed all the birds and again, a lot of livestock. Blew the hair off the cattle, even.

Yesterday morning we had around a foot of nice wet snow. It started blowing a warm wind during the night often in the 70 mph range and it hasn't let up yet. All the snow in the valley is gone and the sky is brown with dirt. Crazy! I've never seen so much moisture disappear so fast.

Latest posts