• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

You must be living right! Or the elk are what you get for the nice weather, lol
Luckily the elk spend most of their time on my neighbors. I enjoy seeing them and listening to them during the night but I do feel for my neighbors.

The rain's been missing us lately. We started swathing hay and I tried to bale yesterday. A shower hit that was just enough to wet the hay down followed by 50 mph winds that messed up the windrows. There is still a stiff wind blowing so I haven't gone out to see what can be salvaged. I may have to replace the leaky kitchen faucet my wife has been complaining about today. I hate plumbing!!!

The rain's been missing us lately. We started swathing hay and I tried to bale yesterday. A shower hit that was just enough to wet the hay down followed by 50 mph winds that messed up the windrows. There is still a stiff wind blowing so I haven't gone out to see what can be salvaged. I may have to replace the leaky kitchen faucet my wife has been complaining about today. I hate plumbing!!!
Deff, where abouts in central Montana are you?
I'm just off the north east corner above Plentywood.

Triple digits starting Sunday for 10 days. 103 today with a cooling tomorrow and high 90s through Saturday. High fire danger with a hot breeze. It looks like my AC will run 24/7 into August. I try to get my outside work and daily walk in before 10 AM.

Coming back from Buffalo, WY today there was a sign across the interstate.
Fired spotted. Do not call 9-11. I looked over to the mountains and there was a lot of smoke. 😥
Hope they can get it out fast. Some years ago we were along the Big Horns and we spotted smoke.
We called it in, was told they were aware of it and were watching it. Lo and behold, week or so later it had burned a huge area and firefighters had to be called in. Slurry planes and the whole ball of wax.
Wonder who was watching it?

101 today. Stiff south wind. No rain in sight. Reservoir is empty. 1st crop (only crop) was about 2/3rds of a normal year. Last year was the worst I'd seen in 54 years. I think it's worse now. I'm an upbeat and positive person by nature. But it's grim for the hope of keeping my cows this winter. I'll keep fighting until I can't.
A special message for Leanin and a word of hope for all of us surviving triple-digit temperatures in desert country.

295828403_10160229310545786_4316705542300223794_n.jpg

At the urging of a man at church we went up past Nicky's to pick huckleberries. A week too early as all the berries were still green. But the nice thing was it was only 75 back up in the mountains. We drove clear back to West Eagle Meadows. On our way home as we went by Nicky's it was 91 (we waved but I don't think she saw us). Getting gas in Baker the car thermometer once again said 75. Got home and it was 91 again. I decided that that I like 75 a lot better than 91.
The TV out of Portland was complaining about a heat wave this week. Our 10 day forecast shows above 100 until Wednesday next week. My forecast says I will be sitting in the recliner in front of the AC most of the time this week.

No, I didn't see you, our yard shady thermometer said 94 so was much hotter in the not green shade. Rode this morning, got done at 12:30 and it was plenty hot.
Going to be hauling hay in the afternoons this week, tractor and pickup both have AC

Triple digits every day and not cooling below the mid-70s at night. AC running 24/7. 3rd cutting alfalfa looks great. Hot sunny and dry. No relief is predicted in the next 10 days. To escape the boredom of being inside, I went to the fruit stand. Watermelon is good now but not great. Tomatoes are better than last week but still not up to what I have become accustomed to. I think I will grow my own tomatoes and zucchini next year.

Last edited:
Decided yesterday I had enough sitting in the house by the AC. So we took a drive sitting in the car with the AC going. We went up to the Owyhee Reservoir. We had never been there before. Beautiful rock walls and canyons. I asked the wife if she brought the camera. She asked me the same thing. I guess we both forgot it. Big dam built in 1932 by the Bureau of Reclamation. The reservoir is something like 52 miles long. The last 5 miles or so of the road is interesting to say the least. Narrow, straightup on one side and straight down on the other. Where one curve stops another is starting. You look way ahead where you can for on coming vehicles. If you spot on you start looking for wide spots to pull to the side. Got to the end of the road and stepped out of the car. Just about melted on the spot. It didn't seem all that cool in the car before I got out. But after being outside for just a minute or two inside the car felt like paradise. On the way home the car thermometer said 109 at Farewell Bend. Heard on the news later that it hit 110 at Ontario.

It's HOT here! 90 degrees and SUNNY. UGH.
We are hoping to take our camper to the mountains Tuesday, if we can find a place to park it without
feeling like we are in a city. WAYYY too many people camping there. Another UGH!
I've been cleaning it up to get ready to go, but the heat stopped me. I'll have to finish after dark...third UGH! Or turn on the generator to run the air conditioner. I used to camp with my parents in a tent. It was fun back then, but glad I don't have to do that anymore.

It is 111 F with no breeze here now and a friend's kids that went to their families mountain cabin to escape, report it is 104 there. There is no escape hahaha! I hope it cools before your camping trip FH.

Latest posts