• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wheel Rake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

we have only had a 6 wheel MF rake and it still runs and does a nice job. As near as I can figure it is around 40 years old. It has raked everything from level hay, turned swaths and raked thousands of acres of prairie. It has even done a few trees with some limited degree of success :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a nice "fixerupper" rotary rake I will let go real cheap!! bought it off an internet auction, was missing the camcollar.... guy lied to me anyway, it is NOT wide enough for an 18 foot swather

Rancher3! said:
I called the guy with the one in the paper, it was a carted rake that the wings fold up on. A few nieghbors have had them and in heavy going they will plug up. Where else can a guy look for a used rake at?

That MF rake was in the producer and it was at Val Marie.

After running my Vermeer power rake for the past two years, I don't think I'd go back to a wheel rake!
On the power rake, the teeth "never" hit the ground, virtually no dust/dirt ends up in the air or the bale!

Frank in West Dakota said:
After running my Vermeer power rake for the past two years, I don't think I'd go back to a wheel rake!
On the power rake, the teeth "never" hit the ground, virtually no dust/dirt ends up in the air or the bale!
but to cover the acres, you need 3 of them to keep up

jigs said:

:?: :?:

Obviously you've never run a Vermeer power rake, Jigs? :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
I have a 14 wheel Sovema.

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. :(

Ditto. We have the 12 wheel, very cheaply made.
Neighbour has a Jiffy, and I think that's what I'd get next time.

i've heard some good things about those vermeers. i like my H&S, but when it's time to trade, i'm darn sure going to take a look a power rake.

jigs said:

I watch my neighbor run three of them... and I can almost out rake him with one wheel rake. I will admit, the power rake works better on the corners. but in stuff that is pounded into the ground by rain, it is hard to beat a rotary rake

jigs said:
jigs said:

I watch my neighbor run three of them... and I can almost out rake him with one wheel rake. I will admit, the power rake works better on the corners. but in stuff that is pounded into the ground by rain, it is hard to beat a rotary rake
I don't know your neighbors situation, does he have enough employees to run 3 rakes, plus the balers, cutters and management to keep everything running? I have one kid running the swather, one running the rake, and I'm baling and keeping everything going. When things stop it's usually not mechanical error, meaning the implement is not at fault! It's usually operator error or weather. If I have hay rained on so hard that my Vermeer can't put 2 windrows together, it ain't worth balin!

I have a Kuhn speedrake now and really like it but if I was back in flat country I would go back with the vermeer or JD power rake I had 1 and really liked it on flat ground

we improvised ours to where you ran it off of the pto instead of the hydraulics that way you didn't have to worry about the hydraulics getting hot on the tractor also can use a smaller tractor that way

when you look at vermeer rakes there are two types there is a cheaper model i think it is a WR model the other is a WRX the WRX is cashier but are hay raking son of a guns and they don't plug up like the WR models and they have lots of ajustments so you can maintain windrow with a pick the number of windrows you want to put together. they are worth looking at. If your a low budget outfit like mine the WR models work ok as long as the hay is real real heavy then they just plug up a little

jigs said:

I don't know your neighbors situation, does he have enough employees to run 3 rakes, plus the balers, cutters and management to keep everything running? I have one kid running the swather, one running the rake, and I'm baling and keeping everything going. When things stop it's usually not mechanical error, meaning the implement is not at fault! It's usually operator error or weather. If I have hay rained on so hard that my Vermeer can't put 2 windrows together, it ain't worth balin!

We had hay on the ground for a month this past summer, rained almost every day :x . Hay might not have been worth much but it had to be baled!! How would you ever get the swather threw the rows on the next cutting? A power rake worked the best on that hay, a wheel rakewouldn't pull the windrow out of the regrowth even if we raked it twice. It all depends what crop you will need to rake the most. Wheel rakes are the most versitile and if set and run right i think are more gentle on the hay, like alfalfa. On the other hand power rakes won't pull dirt into your windrow and will rake most all kinds of crop. They say, althogh, that a power rake knots the hay and makes it hard on a baler pickup. I own a Darf rake, it is very adjustable, I can raise and lower each side separatly. If you do get a wheel rake no matter what kind make sure it has the extra set of wheels out front, they handle rough terran exspecially pivot tracks and also keeps the rake wheels upright.

I run a darf rake also and wouldn't go to anything else. Lot more gentle on hay than a power rake. Had one power rake it was a allen rake, that thing was a piece of $%^#.

Latest posts