• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

where are the free loaders

Help Support Ranchers.net:

memanpa

Reaction score
WEATHER BULLETIN--DENVER

Up here, in the "Mile-Hi City", we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe SOME people (Like New OrleAns and Wash. DC freeloaders) will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living. The Government and Tax $ are not your insurance company. You and your community are supposed to deal with the problem. The rest of us do.

Yeah- but they are getting the Democratic National Convention in '07 :roll: :lol:

This kind of article just causes problems,between people within the USA...I am not sure buildings are laying in rumble by the thousands in Colorado...I am not sure half the city or more became homeless over night...And i suspect their was people helping people in New Orleans with out asking for money ......I do agree more shoud of been done by the people of New Orleans while being given government help....Just comparing the two makes no real sense,I am sure if the multiple home loss that happened in New Orleans were to of happened in Denver help would of been given and accepted,as should be the case..

nonothing said:
This kind of article just causes problems,between people within the USA...I am not sure buildings are laying in rumble by the thousands in Colorado...I am not sure half the city or more became homeless over night...And i suspect their was people helping people in New Orleans with out asking for money ......I do agree more shoud of been done by the people of New Orleans while being given government help....Just comparing the two makes no real sense,I am sure if the multiple home loss that happened in New Orleans were to of happened in Denver help would of been given and accepted,as should be the case..
two weeks before it hit, they KNEW it was coming anyone who stayed is at their own risk. I have no reason to feel guilty for those who CHOSE to ignore the warnings, stayed and suffered !

nonothing said:

It's not the catastrophe that's being compared. It's the ATTITUDE of those involved.

About 15 miles from me is the repair center for the trailers that were delivered to New Orleans area. Guess what. They are bringing them here and repairing them the best they can and will start auctioning them in a few weeks.

One guy I knows who works there says that most are totally demolished on the inside. UNREPAIRABLE. Why, you say? Because there was a conscious effort to tear them up because they didn't want to live in a trailer, that's why.

Again, the article above is not about the amount of damage, but the difference in the "Will" of the people in two different parts of the country and those who appreciate help and those who EXPECT it!

Mike said:
nonothing said:

It's not the catastrophe that's being compared. It's the ATTITUDE of those involved.

About 15 miles from me is the repair center for the trailers that were delivered to New Orleans area. Guess what. They are bringing them here and repairing them the best they can and will start auctioning them in a few weeks.

One guy I knows who works there says that most are totally demolished on the inside. UNREPAIRABLE. Why, you say? Because there was a conscious effort to tear them up because they didn't want to live in a trailer, that's why.

Again, the article above is not about the amount of damage, but the difference in the "Will" of the people in two different parts of the country and those who appreciate help and those who EXPECT it!
feed a man fish, and he will expect it again tomorrow and the next day, and then Jessie Jackson will demand we feed him because he DESERVES it, teach a man to fish, and he will become a thriving conservative !

I think this same message went around last year in the Spring when that big blizzard hit the Dakotas with just Dakota replacing Colorado basically...

I don't think anything will compare to the magnitude of what happend in New Orleans with Katrina unless a bigger one hits an Urban Center (the History Channel did a simulated one on New York City, yikes).. It is so dang hard to deal with the magnitude of people in such a small area being affected... But they did have adequate warning, why they didn't shut down the inbound part of the highway and turn it into outbound to double the amount of traffic that could flow out, why the busses didn't run and all of those things are only things the Governor and the Mayor can answer....

The reaction to the trailers always bugged me. Not saying they were as nice as living in the hotels that they got to stay in originally but it is a lot better than some of the houses I see folks living in around here, or more so in some other areas I have been too... I think in a situation like that I would just be so grateful to have a roof over my head and a dry place to sleep.

I agree,that the attitude by many was not in the spirit of getting back on ones own feet...My point is knowing or not the damage done in many cases cannot even be repaired..It must be rebuilt..I agree if you live in a place that you know will one day get hit by a hurricane you own some of the responsiblity for rebuilding your own home and city...A helping hand when needed should always be accepted but never abused......

Saw they had a march against the Crime and Murder in New Orleans. Some were holding signs leave Iraq and Help New Orleans.

These people can not solve any problem on there own. They have a high murder rate and there answer is the Federal Government needs to do something.

I say they are getting what the deserve, they chose to re elect Nagin after he left them on roof tops. They should have made a local government change when they had the chance.

Well...look at it this way IF the ranchers knew this blizzard was coming well in advance, as the weather men predicted, why didn't they gather their cattle closer, make feed stations throughout their pasture & fields various things such as that? Blizzards happen on a regular basis in the West and yet some are still not prepared.

It's all relative in YOUR WORLD when it's crashing around your head!

Now kola, that was quite a stretch.

And like most libs, you are equating animals with humans... :p

Stockmen don't ask the government for help after a blizzard either.
If it's bad enough, other ranchers/states help on their own
and it is returned as necessary.

Make feed stations in advance? :shock: :lol: :???:

But then, you don't have blizzards in Georgia, do you?

Contrary to what you think we've had 2 that I know of in my 46 yrs. Yes, they were classified as true blizzards with the last one in March in the early 90's. I had 36" of snow here on flat ground.

Anyway...animals mean income to ranchers and you protect income right? So the more you go to protect that income the more of your own arse is covered.

I heard an estimate this AM that the total cattle value lost due to the various storms so far is estimated about $10M.

So, if they are just animals not income in your mind and you ( pl) can afford NOT to go to any extra efforts with advance knowledge of bad weather, so be it. It's your pocketbook not mine!

kolanuraven said:
Well...look at it this way IF the ranchers knew this blizzard was coming well in advance, as the weather men predicted, why didn't they gather their cattle closer, make feed stations throughout their pasture & fields various things such as that? Blizzards happen on a regular basis in the West and yet some are still not prepared.

It's all relative in YOUR WORLD when it's crashing around your head!

I agree 100%, I could pasture my cattle for another month or two away from home and not have to feed them but I thought what if a blizzard hits? How will I feed and water them? If you can't bring your cattle close this time of year because you don't have enough hay put up then you have to many cows.

Mike said:
nonothing said:

A bunch of those same type trailers ended up west of here after a tornado wiped out a bunch of gov. houses (local dialect: gubbermunt). Most of them look pretty well trashed as well, but don't think that they even came after them.

Kola, you have gone and crossed the line now
IF the ranchers knew this blizzard was coming well in advance, as the weather men predicted, why didn't they gather their cattle closer, make feed stations throughout their pasture & fields various things such as that? Blizzards happen on a regular basis in the West and yet some are still not prepared.

First when this was coming this storm was not predicted to be as bad as it was.
Also many feed piles that were placed at different locations were drifted in.
This storm does not happen on a regular basis. Even the oldtimers do not tell you of a worse blizzard.
Everyone I know around here did move there cows to a better location. There were cows in places that were 300 yards from a homestead and guys couldn't get to them. Numerous cases as where guys could see their cows but couldn't get to them. Sure snowmobiles were used but that wouldn't haul water or haul feed. There have been guys who scooped snow with their loaders that were used more than all the feed they have ever scooped. There is no way for a whole industry to have it all under control for a catastrophe like this. Give me three foot of flat snow and I can plow through that like soft butter, but give me 10 to 15 foot drifts and that is a different story.
Gotta remember that even the gov transportation entities were caught. When they tell you that NO essential services are available..........that means none.

For some reason the libs think that the gov is here helping out.
It is not declared a national disaster here. Sure the gov came in, but they rescued people(didn't have to worry about looters though). They helped feed cows, ranchers supplied the feed and even helpeed with air costs, plus they accepted donations from some to help defray the air costs. So...........we are on our own, not complaing just stating a fact. We will survive someway. Even farmers without cows helped plow snow to rescue people. One guy told me after two days that he had spent 750 dollars on fuel..........and no he won't be reimbursed. The guy who was a volunteer for the ES shut down his business for over a week only to come back and find a roof that was not safe to work under. He will not be paid through the gov for his efforts.
So NN, WHSH and Kola don't try to sell me your crap, I ain't buying

IL Rancher said:
The reaction to the trailers always bugged me. Not saying they were as nice as living in the hotels that they got to stay in originally but it is a lot better than some of the houses I see folks living in around here, or more so in some other areas I have been too... I think in a situation like that I would just be so grateful to have a roof over my head and a dry place to sleep.

I agree Rancher, when my family and I 'lost' everything we spent two months stayng in a single room, first with one family of friends, then with another, closer to a job I had found. It has been a long haul but we have a home and a few acres, and have started up our new herd.
Two adults and three adolescent children, two of them disabled sharing one room is stressful, but we were gratefull for good friends and shelter of any kind, a trailerwould have been a palace in comparison!

Just like a bunch of liberals, try to find fault with people that are helping themselves grasping for some bad or way to put them into the same category as the people in New Orleans that sit back waiting for hand outs.

All people are not the same, it is not that far fetched to think that people living in Agriculture areas might be made from a little better quality mold. Seem Cattlemen that hang on this site even Liberals would be more willing to recognize the quality of individuals that come from rural, for one they are those people also.

Stink Holes like New Orleans are obviously going to produce the kind of people that wait for the Government to save them. If we lived in Bible Times God would have already through down some fire and brimstone on that town! I wouldn't visit that town on vacation if it was free and they paid me for my time!

aplusmnt said:
Just like a bunch of liberals, try to find fault with people that are helping themselves grasping for some bad or way to put them into the same category as the people in New Orleans that sit back waiting for hand outs.
Yep. Just like 'em. Pretty damn sad. :???:

Latest posts