• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Who's everyone supporting and why?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleArmy said:
Texan said:
But you have to really have your head stuck up your ass not to see it.

Texan is speaking from experience to viewing life in the above mentioned manner. :p
Guilty as charged. :lol:

Well, with unemployment on the increase I think more and more will be on food stamps they expect 28 million by Oct. 1st and I recently saw 1 in 6 in West Virginia in addition to 1 in 10 in Ohio, 1 in 8 in Michigan, 1 in 10 in New York.

But don't worry, they took the added food stamp money out of the farm bill.... they can't agree on reducing millionaire farmers in getting subsidies but they did agree to cut food stamps....

I was talking to a fella today and its like he said, makes one wonder if the government isn't trying to make everyone dependent on them.

While I agree with you Texan there is abuse in any government program, but I wonder how many of these people are trapped in their situation, an exhusband who doesn't pay child support.
Not every state allows the same benefits (some are higher, some lower) and MO doesn't seem to want to help with childcare preschool (2 kids ages 2-5 would cost between $250-$300 week around here). While I would think many would like to work, there's not much left in a check (probably not enough to even fill the gas tank let alone enough to buy food since they cut their food stamps because they work..... its kind of a catch 22 .... darn if you do and darn if you don't.

True, they didn't ask you or I if they could have kids, but they're here now so what are we gonna do. Tell them they have to give them up for adoption?? Anything you did here would be a dictatorship population control agenda and would have to be carefully thought out. I don't know how they do it in Texas, but anyone here that I have ever heard of getting section 8 had to be on the waiting list for 3 years (maybe that is true only for rural areas I don't have a clue and I don't have any ideas what their regulations are.)

I used to rant and rave about it myself..... in fact it would tick me off to no end when I worked for the state and we spent more on one mental health client just so they could live in an apartment program so they would not feel like they were "institutionalized". They'd pay more for the client that I would get paid in a month and I'd think to myself, "now who's the sane one here"???? The real kicker was that a majority of these people were NGRI (not guilty by reason of insanity) but a judge said they had been rehabilitated or else they had just got out of prison and we picked them up under DMH.

My point is that there is abuse under all the government programs and lets not even start about all the programs, cable tv, sweat lodge and computers and law library they have at prison............

MoGal said:
True, they didn't ask you or I if they could have kids, but they're here now so what are we gonna do. Tell them they have to give them up for adoption?? .

The problem is in "what are we gonna do" the question is what are THEY gonna do! You make it out like people are starving and no jobs and no one can do anything. Well there is Hundreds of millions of people that make things work. Maybe the majority of these food stamp and welfare recipients need to follow that example.

Heck there is so many jobs out there available that we need millions of illegal immigrants to come over and fill those jobs. Seems funny that illegals can come over and find work, but all these American citizens can not?

There is a need for a welfare program to take care of the Truly sick that is all but humane thing to do. But the figures should be more like 1% of population not 10% or more.

Reading the posts tonight it dawned on me. Some people are on all the programs because simply if you grew up and all you know is living like that a child doesn't know any different. They don't know that there is another way of life. Much the way that until I traveled some I didn't realize there was any other way then the Nebraska ranch small town way. Once I got out there in the great big world I realized how sheltered in a sense I had been and that there was so much out there to experience and enjoy.

Some of these welfare "deadbeats" as some like to call them are third and fourth generation. Maybe the key to helping to stop this cycle is education. How can a person/family change if no one has taken the time to explain to them or simply show them their is another way of life?

Maybe instead of throwing fits that these people are abusing the system their should be fits thrown that the welfare system isn't trying to educate and help clients to get off of the system.

CattleArmy said:
Maybe instead of throwing fits that these people are abusing the system their should be fits thrown that the welfare system isn't trying to educate and help clients to get off of the system.

Why would the welfare system want to get them out of the System? If they do then they may loose their jobs. They need so many case workers per welfare recipient. Welfare workers do everything they can to get everyone they can some sort of aid its called job security.

aplusmnt said:
CattleArmy said:

Why would the welfare system want to get them out of the System? If they do then they may loose their jobs. They need so many case workers per welfare recipient. Welfare workers do everything they can to get everyone they can some sort of aid its called job security.
Like how many millions of dollars have been spent on Oglala Lakota College? They've certainly turned out some damn good grant writers....and some questionable teachers and nurses...some good.

aplusmnt said:
CattleArmy said:

Oh aplus aplus aplus. Wrong wrong wrong. We CELEBRATE when a client can no longer be serviced. Once one client is moved out of the system it just leaves an opening for another. There are people who simply have very bad luck when it comes to life, there are those that only know the one way of life, and there are even those that won't try. It's not fair to lump everyone on the system together.

Cal said:
aplusmnt said:
CattleArmy said:

Like how many millions of dollars have been spent on Oglala Lakota College? They've certainly turned out some damn good grant writers....and some questionable teachers and nurses...some good.

Their questionable teachers and nurses they turn out is due to the quality of staff they hire. A good professor in any area isn't gonna let mediocre pass.

Sometimes and remember I said sometimes. Women or young girls aren't very choosy with their men and they pick a scumbag all the while knowing if it doesn't work out they can find a new sugar daddy. That sugar daddy is all to often Uncle Sam.

CattleArmy said:
aplusmnt said:
CattleArmy said:

Oh aplus aplus aplus. Wrong wrong wrong. We CELEBRATE when a client can no longer be serviced. Once one client is moved out of the system it just leaves an opening for another. There are people who simply have very bad luck when it comes to life, there are those that only know the one way of life, and there are even those that won't try. It's not fair to lump everyone on the system together.

Not sure what field you are in were you offer financial assistance (or why you edited that out of your original message)? But Welfare and food stamps do not have to wait for someone to leave the system so someone else can qualify, whatever you do is different than food stamps and welfare. To get a monthly check or food stamps you either meet the qualifications or you do not.

And I am sure some are happy when someone does not need it anymore, but the system as a whole survives along with their jobs by how many people need assistance. If half the people getting food stamps and monthly checks got jobs tomorrow half the case workers would be laid off.

aplusmnt said:
CattleArmy said:
aplusmnt said:

Not sure what field you are in were you offer financial assistance (or why you edited that out of your original message)? But Welfare and food stamps do not have to wait for someone to leave the system so someone else can qualify, whatever you do is different than food stamps and welfare. To get a monthly check or food stamps you either meet the qualifications or you do not.

And I am sure some are happy when someone does not need it anymore, but the system as a whole survives along with their jobs by how many people need assistance. If half the people getting food stamps and monthly checks got jobs tomorrow half the case workers would be laid off.

I edited out of my original message because of half the wackjobs on this board anymore. (Not meaning you aplus.) Sorry folks but that stalking crap is not cool!

You are correct it's not handing out food stamps and there are a limited number of clients served. In all reality there are always going to be clients needing food assistance and welfare. I don't think it's realistic to every think they will run out and I doubt that many that work within the system see the clients as a money train. What it seems so many on this board forget is that yes there are some deadbeats that do just work the system, but there are many people that NEED the system. Due to life circumstances, age, mental illness, handicaps.

CattleArmy said:
What it seems so many on this board forget is that yes there are some deadbeats that do just work the system, but there are many people that NEED the system. Due to life circumstances, age, mental illness, handicaps.

I agree with you there will always be those that need it and I think we should always offer help to those that do need it. I just think there should be more done to go after the deadbeats! Rather they are abusing food stamps or rather they are not paying child support.

I would like to see some system like back during depression where we put people to work not give them hand outs (excluding those that truly can not work due to health). I would like to see a classification of welfare, if you are physically able to work then you are classified into a work program to serve the community to pay back your financial aid.

I would like to see government food dispersion instead of stamps or cards to buy what you want. Bag of beans and bag of potatoes to those that physically can work but are applying for assistance. When they get tired of beans every day they will go get a job to buy that steak they crave.

I would like to see a task force or whistle blowing system for those abusing the system. And if they abuse the system then they do jail time because they stole.

What torks me off is that I know of several families on food stamps. Most of them smoke and all of them drive a newer outfit than I do.

Latest posts