• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Who's your favorite cowboy artist?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I got to spend a week in 1993 with ten of the Cowboy Artist of America at a workshop in Montana What an experience!!! I was 1 of 2 Canadians that were accepted. The ten CAA artist that were there were Joe Beeler, Gary Carter, Loren Entz, Fred Fellows, Bud Helbig, Mehl Lawson, Bill Moyers, Jim Norton, Robert Pummill and Grant Speed. I found Gary Carter and Joe Beeler to be two of the nicest guys there. I got to sit at the right hand side of Gary while he worked on a painting of a Mountain man name Big Medicine Bert I took lots of pictures and I decided to do a watercolour of Big Medicine Bert myself here it is. I also did my own framing on my paintings

BigBert.jpg

This is another painting of a dog I did for a lady from Montana that made her living from selling Aussie puppies and Border Collie puppies.

BearTheDog.jpg

So I guess I would have to say Gary Carter is one of my favorites then probably Tim Cox I love the way he paints too.

Nice paintings, Tam. Looks like you sure know what you're doing.

My dad does some very nice oil paintings. My grandmother, my daughter, and a cousin and his son are all real good artists. I must have had my hat and slicker on too tight, when the talent rained down, because it dripped off of me and plumb soaked into the ground.

I just hate people with talent!
I hear that from alot of people Jinglebob I think the one that was surprized the most from my ability to paint was my Dad. He just loved to see what I was working on. Since you asked so nice I will post a couple more these two painting hang in my house and my husband won't part with them The first one he even bought so I couldn't sell it on him. It is his mare and colt
Paintings010.jpg

this one is a painting of our ranch
Paintings008.jpg

Good pictures, Tam. Thanks for showing them to us.

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in town the same day as my cousin who is also a rancher. He said, "I have something to show you," and then went back to his pickup. He brought out an old piece of tin from an antique windmill fan blade. On it he had painted a nifty mountain scene with a cowboy on a horse leading a packstring of three mules. It turned out real good. I asked him how much he wanted for it if a feller wanted to buy it. He said he really didn't want to sell it (yeah, right :wink: ), but I kept upping my offer until he finally said yes. It looks pretty quaint hanging on the wall under a hatrack in our house.

More good ones! Thanks for sharing. I have more prints around here that I have bought over the years, that need to be framed and hung up. Someday when I am rich, I'll build a house big enough to hang them all up. Really like the looks of thaty mare and colt. [/i]

Tam,

The way you captured the focus of the dog with the eyes and ears is incredible. All of your paintings looked good, but the dog one has me thinking that's where your knack may lie. Or maybe you posses an etra talented ability to capture eyes,

anyway, long way around of saying well done

Thank you PPRM I'm a self taught artist so I guess I must have some God given talent. I love painting eyes they to me are a window to the soul and if they aren't just right the painting isn't right.
This post was started with who is your favorite artist well I can tell you who my least favorite is as he was also at the work shop in Montana. He is Robert Pummill. We had a change for some of the Pro artists to look at our painting and tell us what they thought of them and Mr. Pummill looked at my watercolours and he told me I was to never work with watercolours again. After a bunch of the other artists that were not pros told me to forget what he said, I can home mad and painted the Mountain Man and the dog just to prove to myself he was wrong.
I'm working on some new stuff now so maybe when I get them done I'll post them. Glad you all liked them and thanks for the kind words.

Soapweed said:
Good pictures, Tam. Thanks for showing them to us.

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in town the same day as my cousin who is also a rancher. He said, "I have something to show you," and then went back to his pickup. He brought out an old piece of tin from an antique windmill fan blade. On it he had painted a nifty mountain scene with a cowboy on a horse leading a packstring of three mules. It turned out real good. I asked him how much he wanted for it if a feller wanted to buy it. He said he really didn't want to sell it (yeah, right :wink: ), but I kept upping my offer until he finally said yes. It looks pretty quaint hanging on the wall under a hatrack in our house.

I also paint on things other than canvas. I have painted on bone, sandstone, metal, wood and feathers. I really find painting on feathers a challenge but it does look nice when they are done. I had a guy ask me to paint on an old ice saw once. I painted what he wanted and took it back to him and I never did get paid for it. I guess I was lucky I didn't have to buy a saw to paint on or I would have been really mad. I did learn a lesson though, don't trust you are going to get paid just because someone ask you to paint something for them.

Howdy folks! What a great bunch of comments and pictures! You folks are gonna be famous. I decided to do a blog about art of the American West and Southwest, and you have given me so many good ideas and suggestions about artists, etc. I have checked out a lot of them, and I plan to write about them and give them some exposure. I hope it will help sell some art for a lot of them.

Anyway, let's keep up the good work, and I will be sure to give credit where credit is due. Check out the blog when you have a chance and leave a comment or two. Just click on "comments" and then click on "anonymous" (if you don't have a blog of your own) to type in and submit your comment. I'm looking forward to getting some good comments there, also. You folks are the greatest! Thanks so much for your participation. And the artists thank you, too. Now, here's the link.

http://americanwestandsouthwestart.blogspot.com

:D :D

Good writing at the site, wheres the pictures?

I was in Kanab last summer for the poetry rodeo. Had a good time and sure is beautiful country, but didn't look like the stocking rate for cattle was too high! :lol:

I'm a little late for posting my opinion, I love all the old cowboy pics, but for modern days I really like Bev Doolittle. We were driving into Roundup the other day and saw a Paint mare. We didn't know she had a colt by her side until he moved! He fit so much into her body spots there was no way you could find the little feller until he moved. We now know he's there, maybe we can catch him in the future on camera.

Hanta Yo said:
I'm a little late for posting my opinion, I love all the old cowboy pics, but for modern days I really like Bev Doolittle. We were driving into Roundup the other day and saw a Paint mare. We didn't know she had a colt by her side until he moved! He fit so much into her body spots there was no way you could find the little feller until he moved. We now know he's there, maybe we can catch him in the future on camera.

wow...i had forgotten about bev doolittle....her way of "hiding" objects in plain view is simply remarkable!! truly a talent! :D

I was at "Arts in the Park" in Brookings, SD a few summers ago...mostly for the turkey legs and the corn on the cob boiled in butter...and ran across a pencil artist by the name of Don Greytak. He had some really neat pictures of which I bought one. The one I bough depicts a "wreck" about to happen at a branding. The facial expressions of the hands seeing the "wreck" developing is what makes the picture seem so real.

http://www.dongreytak.com/

Miss Tam,
Love your art! You are one talented lady! :D I'm very poor at drawing, etc, but I have talents in other places.

JingleBob,
Your talent is in poetry! Don't forget that! :D

Hanta Yo said:
Miss Tam,
Love your art! You are one talented lady! :D I'm very poor at drawing, etc, but I have talents in other places.

JingleBob,
Your talent is in poetry! Don't forget that! :D

Thank you Hanta Yo. I have heard the expression I can't even draw a straight line so many times but all I tell them is neither can I, I just do the best I can with the crooked ones. We all have talents and the challenge is to do the best we can with what god gave us. And I'm sure you are great at your talents. Thanks again

Shelly said:
Tam, was that a few Bernie Brown's I seen hanging on your wall, too?

I do like Bernie Browns work but don't have any of his. All the work that was posted is mine. I work in Acrylic, watercolor, pen and the one of the wagon wheels that Murgen posted is an ink.

Thanks Hanta Yo and thanks Radar for the site for Don. I think I bought some of his prints years ago. I like pen and ink or pencil about as good as anything.

Latest posts