• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Will SH follow through?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Will SH follow through?

• Yes, he has integrity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he's full of it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Three of the most positive attributes of the hereford breed are:

1. Feed efficiency - a large economic factor

2. Longevity - also a large economic factor considering the costs to get a cow to productivity

3. Beef tenderness - proven by CHB knocking CAB out of the water in a side by side taste test.

4. Survivability in harsh, parched environments.

This picture is bigger than the well known eye and bag problems that the hereford industry has corrected with pigmentation in recent years.

You can't get a baldy without a hereford.

~SH~

Juan, no disrespect intended, but I have spent over half of my ranching years raising Herefords. Even my dad, who was much more of an ardent Hereford fancier than myself, didn't have a Hereford on his ranch the last few years before he retired. When I was a kid, my dad "ate, lived, and breathed" the American Hereford Journal. He raised registered Herefords, and sold bulls from the time he was in high school in the late 'thirties, until about 1985. We held an annual bull sale at our ranch for eleven years, that my dad called the Green Valley Country Music Bull Sale. There was always a band to entertain while the meal was being served.

An Angus cow doesn't eat any more for her size than does a Hereford cow weighing the same. The work load is immensely diminished with Angus. There are no horns to worry about, and many other Hereford problems just magically disappear. Sore udders, bad eyes, prolapses, bad feet, big balloon teats, and smaller weaning weights become a thing of the past. As they say, "Once you go black, you'll never go back."

Dad sold yearlings to the same buyer, privately, for many years. Finally, the buyer leveled with Dad, and said he liked his cattle but if he didn't cross breed the Herefords with some other breed, he would have to quit buying them. The buyer bought the baldies and loved them after that.

Heck, I had to experiment with cow dogs once, too. Life has gotten a whole lot easier and more fun since I have eliminated both Herefords and cow dogs from my life. My darling bride, who is the best cowhand I ever knew, would divorce me if I brought any more Herefords onto the ranch. For that reason alone, my Hereford days are over. :)

Soapweed said:
Juan, no disrespect intended, but I have spent over half of my ranching years raising Herefords. Even my dad, who was much more of an ardent Hereford fancier than myself, didn't have a Hereford on his ranch the last few years before he retired. When I was a kid, my dad "ate, lived, and breathed" the American Hereford Journal. He raised registered Herefords, and sold bulls from the time he was in high school in the late 'thirties, until about 1985. We held an annual bull sale at our ranch for eleven years, that my dad called the Green Valley Country Music Bull Sale. There was always a band to entertain while the meal was being served.

An Angus cow doesn't eat any more for her size than does a Hereford cow weighing the same. The work load is immensely diminished with Angus. There are no horns to worry about, and many other Hereford problems just magically disappear. Sore udders, bad eyes, prolapses, bad feet, big balloon teats, and smaller weaning weights become a thing of the past. As they say, "Once you go black, you'll never go back."

Dad sold yearlings to the same buyer, privately, for many years. Finally, the buyer leveled with Dad, and said he liked his cattle but if he didn't cross breed the Herefords with some other breed, he would have to quit buying them. The buyer bought the baldies and loved them after that.

Heck, I had to experiment with cow dogs once, too. Life has gotten a whole lot easier and more fun since I have eliminated both Herefords and cow dogs from my life. My darling bride, who is the best cowhand I ever knew, would divorce me if I brought any more Herefords onto the ranch. For that reason alone, my Hereford days are over. :)
No offense taken.Bet you haven't tried a different"darling bride"either.LOL
There are so many variables it's hard to figure.I have seen this winter when a mixed bunch of calves come through the sale barn the baldies and the herefords sell together.

Well, it appears 29 people are wrong. SH didn't come through, as expected. They should have a better gauge on how he operates now.

Jinglebob: "Yup, just what I thought."

Obvious how independent your thinking is.

GO SANDHUSKER GO! RAH RAH!

Sandhusker failed to show anyone where I said I quoted R-CALF, the organization, as he claimed after I requested it three times. Did you miss that part Jinglebob? Of course you did! Because it didn't support your bias.

Like Saddam claiming victory after the gulf war, Sandhusker ignores the obvious and claims victory. It's an R-CULT thing!

~SH~

I demand a recount,I should have known better than to vote PRARIE DAWG, having any thing but BOOL SHEIST................good luck PS BE THE LAST TIME I VOTE FOR A DAMN PRARIE DAWG.

Soapweed said:

Your wife sounds like mine NO Herefords no matter what.

We have a black bull throwing some red calves 3 to 5 a year we had a big blow up here last week over 2 red calves born the same day.
She wanted to know which bull was throwing those calves I told her and she wants him gone and she's serious about it.

We used a hereford bull the first years I had cows. Sold calves that fall the black baldies sold for 20 cents higher than their hereford looking 1/2 brothers which were from black baldy cows no more herefords here.

Latest posts