• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Young Horse Attitude

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Had a good morning,

Been working with a yearling getting the spooks out of him and getting him used to picking things up in both eyes. He's been real good to work with as far as picking up his feet. Usually they are good for me by weaning, but I bought this mare with the baby by her side and he was 4 months. Took a long time to get halter and close enough to do anything. Lucky for me I don't need a finished horse by 2 years, lol.

Anyway, I had him to where I could put a felt pad on him haltered and pull it off the other side under the neck, through the front feet. Last night when i was done I threw the pad on the fence and commenced to feeding. Forgot the pad and sure enough it was in the middle of his pen. I guess he hasd a chance to take out any frustrations, lol.

I shook the pad out and the colt went to the other corner, He snorted, blew and then came to me and the pad. I put it on his back anbd ran it under hs neck, he stood fine with no halter.

It'll be ten months before I take him to the guy that starts them for me. Lots of time to get him used to lots of things, a little at a time.

He's kinda at the point where I am a break in the monotany of life and he almost gets a kick outta seeing what I am going to put him through next. This one has been rewarding as the mare was raised by a guy that really taught me a bunch when I was in my twenties. Th colt had never been handled and he was pretty wild even with his momma. It's taken a lot of little steps, I kinda like that better than a 20 minute session, but that's me. People that get my horses are amazed by what they don't pay attention to that freaks out a lot of horses,

Anyway, when they finally lock onto trusting you, it makes for a good day,

PPRM

Untill my kids joined 4H I never realised horses could have so many problems. I am a firm believer in leaving the colts with thie mom untill they are at least a year old. Also they learn to follow their mom over bridges, thru tight places, thru creeks, up and down hills, calmly walk thru cattle, etc.

I have sold colts at a year and the people who buy them are so suprised that they have brains. I have never had a problem with biting or kicking in my colts as their mother will not allow that type of behavior and so it does not become a habit. I see so many people who should not have a goldfish and go out to buy a horse and can't figure why they have problems. Many of the new breed of 4H kids do not see their animal until show day and that can lead to a great many blow-ups. I blame a lot of this on the leaders who are so desperate for members they put up with it. But then you see a young person who really gets good from the program and that makes up for a lot. I have given 11 registered quarter colts to deserving youngsters over the last few years and most have made me proud. I would lease the colt to them for $1.00 for a year and if they took good care of the animal and showed it I then gave them the papers. Two cousins took the colts I gave them to the local auction the following week after I gave them the papers and their grandfather got mad as I would not give them more colts for the following year. But that was two dissapointments and 9 kids that made me proud - - - I guess that is not to bad.

George said:
Untill my kids joined 4H I never realised horses could have so many problems. I am a firm believer in leaving the colts with thie mom untill they are at least a year old. Also they learn to follow their mom over bridges, thru tight places, thru creeks, up and down hills, calmly walk thru cattle, etc.

I have sold colts at a year and the people who buy them are so suprised that they have brains. I have never had a problem with biting or kicking in my colts as their mother will not allow that type of behavior and so it does not become a habit. I see so many people who should not have a goldfish and go out to buy a horse and can't figure why they have problems. Many of the new breed of 4H kids do not see their animal until show day and that can lead to a great many blow-ups. I blame a lot of this on the leaders who are so desperate for members they put up with it. But then you see a young person who really gets good from the program and that makes up for a lot. I have given 11 registered quarter colts to deserving youngsters over the last few years and most have made me proud. I would lease the colt to them for $1.00 for a year and if they took good care of the animal and showed it I then gave them the papers. Two cousins took the colts I gave them to the local auction the following week after I gave them the papers and their grandfather got mad as I would not give them more colts for the following year. But that was two dissapointments and 9 kids that made me proud - - - I guess that is not to bad.
I would have "DROP-KICKED" Grampa into the middle of next week - he needs a pretty strict session of 'tough-love' and some common sense pills! DON'T GET ME STARTED! I have three sons, seven grand kids, and three GREAT grandkids. Do any of you who know me think that any of my 'down-line' would sell those colts to ANYONE? Hah! And they wouldn't have to be told, either. Suggestion: Lease one of your colts to Hanta Yo's 4H daughter! She would teach it to read and understand Egyptian Hieroglyphics in about a week and a half - - - maybe two weeks! :shock:

Latest posts