• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Your Greatest Rodeo Hero

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Canadian_Cowgirl

Reaction score
I want to know who you guys think is the greatest rodeo cowboy. Im really interested in the rodeo, id love to participate in one or lots, but you see my parents aint interested in it so its not like they will drop everything to take me out to the rodeo. and i cant afford a good horse, even a broke one, we have 2 unbroke 4 year old fillies, there real nice and great compainion horses but we dont have the time or money to break them. but back on topic. Who do you think is the greatest rodeo cowboy, so I can learn something about the heros of the rodeo. and id love to hear about some great experiances you've had or stories you've heared. if it aint to much trouble of course!

Thank you

Katy :heart:

Bodacious ......... hard to argue with a bull who has his own line of merchandise. Plus he beat up Tuff Hedeman almost as bad as I whooped him in Strong City, Kansas!

Canadian_Cowgirl said:
which bull killed a guy? there was one a few years ago if i recall right. :???: i could be totally wrong!

"Taking Care of Business" killed Lane Frost several years ago at Cheyenne....There was another big ol Char bull that stepped on and killed a Canadian bull rider 4-5 years ago...I can't remember his name off the top of my head.......

katy, being from the great state of wyoming, i have to nominate Steamboat as one of the great rodeo heroes. i've just finished a book written about him. yes, he was ridden by 38 different bronc stompers, but this was back when a cowboy usually had to top off a bronc before the days work began. he was bought and used in a wild west show and was also a main attraction in the cheyenne frontier days for several years. there are five bucking horses that have made it into the national cowboy hall of fame and Steamboat is one of the five. clay danks rode him several times but guy holt is the one that the staue at wy, st. u. is based on. he was one of the best and also voted most popular cowboy at the time. the rodeo cowboys today are good, that is no doubt. truth be told though, they cant hold a candle to the cowboys of yesteryear.

Does anyone remember Dave Appleton? He was on top there for a while, then I don't know what happened to him.

Edit.....I googled

Australian-bred Dave Appleton, a superstar on the professional rodeo circuit, arrived in America with nothing but a suitcase, a saddle and a goal - to be the world champion all-around cowboy. He reached his goal nine years later when be became the first Australian and first non-American to win a world rodeo championship. Currently, he is the color commentator on Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie's Day at the Races.

Theres so many I like but if I have to pick one it would have to be Rod Warren,just because of his total try in the game.100% every time he leaves the chute.

We have a friend that knows alot of the 'Older" cowboys,I wish you could hear his stories Canadian Cowgirl,they're really worth listening to :!:

My kids would yell a resounding "LANE FROST" to answer your question on "greatest rodeo cowboy"!!! I, however, am pretty partial to Ty Murray.

:wink:

Well Rob Smets is the guy for me-as for broncs 'AirWolf' is the rankest horse I've ever seen out-was fortunate to see him closeup quite a few times-he was a prick in the chutes and a bastard when the latch opened.

Chris LeDoux. I figure anyone who can rodeo and sing has got to be "the real deal" :)

I am with you Judith...:) sorta partial to Chris Ledoux myself. TY Murray would be my second choice. I like that not only did he do the rough stock but he aint a half bad roper.

Easty

It`s a real challenge to pick out my favorite, so I won`t try. Some of the real top hands worked ever event they had entry fees for and went home dureing the week to keep the ranch going. Todays top contestants have sponsers. I`ve seen top tie down horses run barrels, used as dogging horses, haze, pickup broncs, head and heel, and then used for calveing or gathering cattle. Maybe in their spare time they baby sat too.

Soapweed said:
jigs said:
Bodacious ......... hard to argue with a bull who has his own line of merchandise. Plus he beat up Tuff Hedeman almost as bad as I whooped him in Strong City, Kansas!

Oh, do tell us more. :???: :wink: :)

Tuff made a trip or two to Strong City, and he was one guy NO ONE screwed with...I believe he was quite the womanizer....
and I whooped the snot out of a kid named after Tuff, so I am chalking it up as I whooped Tuff! :p

jigs said:
Soapweed said:
jigs said:

Oh, do tell us more. :???: :wink: :)

Tuff made a trip or two to Strong City, and he was one guy NO ONE screwed with...I believe he was quite the womanizer....
and I whooped the snot out of a kid named after Tuff, so I am chalking it up as I whooped Tuff! :p

Close enough. :wink: Congratulations, I guess. :? :wink: :)

Latest posts