• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Your Greatest Rodeo Hero

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Don Brestler used to put those pencil sketches in the 'Cattleman' magazine. He had one about a one legged bronc rider too-he got in a bad wreck doing an exhibition ride at a church picnic-got hung up by his good leg. Those oldtimers were made of sterner stuff.

The Etbaur's have to be at the top of my list. Such class acts. 100% every time out of the chute. As humble as can be which is a big plus in my books. Yes Soapweed, Will Rogers is absolutely incredible. It'll be a while before someone that can handle a rope like he did comes along.

The eight seconds that I will remember forever in my life, was the night I saw Freckles Brown ride Tornado at the 1967 finals in Oklahoma City. Freckles Brown was 42 years old and Tornado had never been rode.

Tornado, was owned by another cowboy that would get my vote as one of the greats,Jim Shoulders,worlds champion all-a-round I don't remember how many times, he rode all three rough-stock events.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

I have to wonder about Etbauer :lol: He is great, but the greatest? Like im wondering if he tends to make the rides look wilder because of the way he rides? Example his head snapping back and forth, every jump the horse makes, little Billy gets back farther and farther on the end of his rein :D By the time the 8 seconds is up he tends to be pretty loose on a strong bronc.
I just have to wonder if Rod Warren or Dan Mortonson was riding the same bronc if it would look as wild?
One thing for sure is that he is about the most interesting guys to watch when he gets on a Kesler horse :lol:

RoperAB said:
I have to wonder about Etbauer :lol: He is great, but the greatest? Like im wondering if he tends to make the rides look wilder because of the way he rides? Example his head snapping back and forth, every jump the horse makes, little Billy gets back farther and farther on the end of his rein :D By the time the 8 seconds is up he tends to be pretty loose on a strong bronc.
I just have to wonder if Rod Warren or Dan Mortonson was riding the same bronc if it would look as wild?
One thing for sure is that he is about the most interesting guys to watch when he gets on a Kesler horse :lol:

Yup, Billy gets to poppin' and floppin' a little, but I don't think those other two you mentioned can outride him. Tho' Dan has won 6 titles. But he sure don't like to turn his toes out. :wink:

Somebody asked Casey Tibbs how he won so often. He said, "It' s easy. You just make the tuff ones look easy and the easy ones look tuff". :wink:

I think some of these guys took a page out of his book. :)

Cow Palace {a few Years back}

5 or 6 of us were walking around the out side of the arena were all sale booths are.

This young lady walked by with Tight Tight 'Sprayed' on pants!

I just had to ask
"Excuse me young lady – Just how do you go about getting into your pants?"
She looked at me and answered "You Start with a Kiss!"
Boy did I get the He-Ha

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

Yup, Billy gets to poppin' and floppin' a little, but I don't think those other two you mentioned can outride him.

Although Billy Etbauer is one of my top favs,he just is in no way better then Rod Warren,nope,no sirry there Jinglebobby......another young guy that I'm always really impressed with when I watch him ride is Cimmeron Gurke{sp} Was hoping to see him ride live at the Canadian Finals but didn't make the finals this year.

Slim Pickins last Clown at the Cow Palace

My roommates and I were talkin to him over the Mote Fence - as Cotton and his hands ran a bull out - slim walked over to adjust the rope on his 'Monkey on a Rope'.
The bull turned back and hit Slim from behind like someone kicked a football!
---------------
Brown Derby Hotel - Denver
Our party was getting kind of out of hand - when the Manage came up to ask us to hold it down a couple Bull Doggers grab him and held him out a 3rd story window by the ankles. Our party went on until the cops showed up.

More Cowboys:
Marty Woods
Jack Roddy
Dave Mason
Jerry Fletcher
Stan Holt DBA: "World Champion Tag Team Wresler" Stan Nelson
Paul Templeton - One of the first Flying Cowboys - Died a couple months ago

Mrs.Greg said:
Although Billy Etbauer is one of my top favs,he just is in no way better then Rod Warren,nope,no sirry there Jinglebobby......another young guy that I'm always really impressed with when I watch him ride is Cimmeron Gurke{sp} Was hoping to see him ride live at the Canadian Finals but didn't make the finals this year.

I didn't say he was better, I said them others couldn't outride him. I'd say they were about even. :wink:

Billy Etbauer rides like he's showing off for a pretty girl-Rod Warren rides like he's ten cold miles from home and doesn't feel like walking. Billy is more flashy but Rod is harder to buck off-what has he ridden 38 straight at the NFR. He grew up riding broncs that make Americans wake up in a cold sweat lol. There are alot of good bronc riders out there now a days for sure.

Northern Rancher said:
Billy Etbauer rides like he's showing off for a pretty girl-Rod Warren rides like he's ten cold miles from home and doesn't feel like walking. Billy is more flashy but Rod is harder to buck off-what has he ridden 38 straight at the NFR. He grew up riding broncs that make Americans wake up in a cold sweat lol. There are alot of good bronc riders out there now a days for sure.

That was well said NR, Those are the words I was looking for. The real tough bronc riders are pulling fur and not shineing their boots.

Northern Rancher said:
I'd agree with that. Billy spurs them all the way to the ground, never seems to saftey up. He either gets a good sacore or bucks off. He's won a lot of money over the years, doing that.

I always thought Red Lemmel and Bud Longbrake would have doner better, but they are both ranch raised hands, so if they got in a storm, they would maybe saftey up a jump or two and therefore get the horse rode but not score as well. JMO.

I could never choose one. There are so many a person could list. Cowboys, Cowgirls, Stock, Stock Contractors!

Where does a person start? :D

Latest posts