• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A perfect seedstock operation.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob said:
Tap said:
Jinglebob said:
Listen to what I mean and not to what I say, comes to mind on my posting! :lol:

Yup, you both understood. :wink:

I've about exhausted myself with this topic. It is kind of like talking politics. You can argue with someone till you are blue in the face, and neither give an inch when it is over. So live and let live I say. :wink: :D

Weeeelll, don't know as I would agree with that!

:wink:

:p :p :p

Badlands said:
Dr. Diven sites studies that show cow condition at calving is most important to breed back.

Right, RobertMac.

But, let's go beyond the surface.

The studies that Dr Diven cites, were made after folks started selecting for more performance and started calving earlier, and ran into trouble with cattle rebreeding. In those situations, it is very true. If you calve in the Winter, they dang well better have some condition on them, because they are trying to breed before peak forage.

However, he then extrapolates the same result to Summer calving systems. I don't think that BCS at calving is as important in April calving systems as it is in February calving systems. And in Summer calving systems, I think it's even less important.

Although it may be a trap. By the time they breed in the Summer, they are eating pretty low quality stuff, so then it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy that they have to be fat when they calve in the Summer, doesn't it? I think the Summer calving programs waste resources because they run behind the peak, whereas Winter programs are costly because they are ahead of the peak.

Maybe both of them are "out of sync" with Nature so then they have to have enough BCS at calving to rebreed?

Badlands

Right, Badlands.

Using research studies might not be a good idea. :? :wink: :)

It is my observation that Nature brings young into the world during times of abundant feed sources. I believe, ideally calving should be timed close to, but prior to peak forage. Lets the cow improve condition on early forage growth...then post calving, she has abundant feed to raise the calf, recover from calving and start to cycle to rebreed. The cows number one job is to have a calf and rebreed to have another calf the next year. Doing that around peak forage is efficient and economical. Down side is that the calf might not weigh as much at weaning, but if you save enough on the front end(not feeding a nursing cow in the winter), the bottom line should still be better.

It is my observation that Nature brings young into the world during times of abundant feed sources.

RobertMac, abundant perhaps, but not peak. If you study any FWP research, we know that animals born early enough in the season to be the oldest w/o having been killed by weather are favored for 1st Winter survival. Early, but not too early. Later born animals are at a distinct disadvantage. Mother Nature tends to naturally flush the females for a big burst, then they peter out.

I believe, ideally calving should be timed close to, but prior to peak forage.
Nature doesn't really suggest this, Robert. I'll agree from a nutrient management standpoint for MAN's cow, but not for nature. Peak forage occurs here in NY in another couple weeks, but the geese and deer are already over 2 months old. That is nearly 1/4 of a year before peak.

Lets the cow improve condition on early forage growth...then post calving, she has abundant feed to raise the calf, recover from calving and start to cycle to rebreed.
Agreed. I'm not so sure the animals in my area are at their peak fatness or even gaining too much before birthing, though.

The cows number one job is to have a calf and rebreed to have another calf the next year.
Exactly that is the cow's job, and from the Ma Nature perspective with wild animals, getting pregnant is more important than actually producing offspring over the long haul. Think about it. Deer/elk/antelope will all voluntarily slough offspring to make it through a Winter. Birds will sacrifice an early hatch for the opportunity to have them as early as possible. I think so many times that one person says something and the rest of us agree w/o really thinking about it. Many people also don't consider than the animals they are modelling after all have shorter gestation and are generally Autumn breeders (except for Bison). And those Autumn breeders are all breeding after the Fall rains produced more high nutrient forage. Again, they breed when they should first, when they fawn is secondary. Remember how Ma Nature flushed the females? In these late calving systems, there is no flushing going on when breeding on August grass.

Doing that around peak forage is efficient and economical.
I think this is what the low cost guys say. They may be right, but they are out of sync with Nature IMO. Possibly rightly so, but still out of sync. The simple point is that they should talk about economics, rather than relying on the "greenie, hippie" points. Economical, I would agree. Efficient, I'm not convinced of that.

Down side is that the calf might not weigh as much at weaning, but if you save enough on the front end(not feeding a nursing cow in the winter), the bottom line should still be better.
According to our pricing structure, yes. In the full market model, it would depend on how nutritional stress played into affecting the growth and maturity curve and it's effects on quality.

RobertMac, not at all disagreeing with your point of view or picking you apart, just kicking out ideas for thought or discussion or showing you how I think about the points. I'm sure you'll understand that. Most of the ideas really just look at the question of "mimicing Nature or making economic decisions". Those are distinctly different points that have become intertwined in the grass based circles, in my opinion.

These points are NOT about being right or wrong in the sense of anyone being a better manager than anyone else, but about thinking about the biology behind what we do as stewards of our resources. Totally about thinking and learning, rather than the measuring stick of being "right" or "wrong".

Badlands

I never get tired of listening to this topic or discussing it with you folks. So many ranchers/farmers in our area looked at us sideways when we switched to calving "IN SYNC". Sorry for using those bad words Badlands, but I couldn't help it. My cows are just coming to the end of their first cycle of calving, and the fawns are just starting to surface from the thickets and coulees. If that isn't "In Sync" I don't know what is.

That's beside the point of course. My point is that we should forget research studies on this topic, and watch Mother Nature's own test plot. If we watch and listen carefully, to animals, plants, the soil, whatever, there are test plots right in front of our noses at every turn. We make our cows work for everything through the winter, and trust me, by the time they hit grass in the middle of April, they are a little thin. But since we don't calve until the end of May/first of June, they have a month to gain weight. And even though they're heavy in calf at that point, they gain weight quickly. Almost all of our cows that I had scored as a lower BCS (2-2.5), are now a 2.5-3 with a baby at side, or very soon will have. It's working much the same as it does for the deer and such.

Badlands, I'm sure many are tired of seeing this thread pop up, but then that's the beauty of the internet...they don't have to read it. 8)

You make some good points...domestic animals aren't wild animals and mimicking Nature can be/is economically painful. I know the second point well because that is the general direction I've taken. But I find the long term benefits were worth the economical pain...a care free, reproductively efficient herd.

I like your deer example, so I hope you don't mind if I turn it on you.

Badlands said:
...getting pregnant is more important than actually producing offspring over the long haul.

And those Autumn breeders are all breeding after the Fall rains produced more high nutrient forage. Again, they breed when they should first, when they fawn is secondary.

What if you have an exceptional summer that produces an abundance of high nutrient forage, will the deer breed early because getting pregnant is more important than actually producing offspring?

I think not because there is another important natural factor, especially for plants, but also for animals...photo period. The deer are waiting to breed when it is appropriate for them to be fawning. Having young at the appropriate time is more important for survival of the species then simply getting bred.

In the plant world, the timing of moisture and warming temperatures in sync with photo period is the trigger for increased plant growth. For herbivores, this is the time to give birth.

For our domesticated cattle, Nature has given the cow a set gestation period and this establishes her nutrient requirements through that yearly cycle. Nature has also established a forage cycle on each ranch depending on plant species and environmental conditions. What I mean by "in sync with Nature" is to put the cows highest nutrient requirements at the same time as my highest natural forage production. That is both economical and efficient.

I'm an agronomist from the late 70s and 80s, so I guess I can't help but be a little "greenie, hippie"! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Badlands said:
In the full market model, it would depend on how nutritional stress played into affecting the growth and maturity curve and it's effects on quality.

This should be the subject of another thread I'd like to pick your brain on! :D

Badlands, the beauty of production agriculture is that there are many roads to get to the same destination..."right" or "wrong" is more in the context of which road you take. Studying Nature and being in agreement with Nature will make for an easier journey. This is one of my favorite quotes...

"I think Nature is smart as hell. I help as much as I can, but I try to let Her do most of the work." __Tom Lasater

RobertMac,

We'll have to pick it up later. I'm not quite 1/2 way home to MT from NY. Beloit, WI right now. Will be home to the ranch on Saturday, then up N/W to Conrad on Sunday to have a baby. Well, my wife is having the baby, not me. I'm just driving the other three kids home while she flies. Can't stand to have a kid born in NY-just wouldn't be right, LOL.

Badlands

Latest posts