• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ammunition Control

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MPR, I have never had bullets explode or guns fire when the weren't intended to be fired. Since Obama got elected and all the gun control advocates started licking their chops, we got the gun safe. It is fire rated for 1400 degrees for a couple of hours. So we use it now.

I don't believe having such storage should be a condition for purchases.

Kolo's arguments don't make any sense to me either way. What good is it to have legal rights to firearms if they cannot be used?

In for 5 minutes......I'll be back in about 2 hrs or so....then I'll tell you why I KNOW that bullets are dangerous kept carelessly in the house.

News @ 6!!! :lol:

kolanuraven said:
In for 5 minutes......I'll be back in about 2 hrs or so....then I'll tell you why I KNOW that bullets are dangerous kept carelessly in the house.

News @ 6!!! :lol:

"Bullets" or "Loaded Ammunition"?

Bullets themselves are no danger to anyone.

Loaded ammo might be if carelessly stored and if ignited somehow but there are no limits on the number that can be stored.

Black Powder is the only explosive I know of that demands a special container for 20 lbs. or over and it is to be made of 12 gauge metal and plywood, minimum. It is designated a "Low Explosive" by the BATF.

This is long....but ya'll asked why I am against large amount of live/loaded AMMO in the house.

All this happened about 5-8 yrs ago.

I live in a rural area. If your house catches on fire, well the Vol. Fire Dept might get there in 45 minutes. If you've not paid your fee ( $85.00 last yr)to the real " Red Truck" Fire Dept....and you're outside of a certain mileage limit...they won't even come out on a fire call, you're on your own.

OK.... a friend had a nice big house and a HUGE fireplace that he built. He was about 8 yrs older than me...we all grew up together as rednecks here!! We all shot birds, skeet, targets, varmits...whatever. He was also an avid hunter. He had a ammo vault also.

BUT....he had a room off the LR , basically a closet, that was stacked case upon on case with live/loaded ammo. I mean everything from .22 to AK-47 and lord knows what else. He was also a retired Ga State Trooper, with all the problems and paranoia that comes with it.

Anyhoo....I hear via the grapevine that his house caught fire. Don't know why, assume the fireplace as he had a habit of leaving out for days on end and not telling anyone he'd gone. His 22 yr old son had moved in with him---no one knew this at the time.

So, we've got a house fire. It's about 45 minutes or so and the Vol Fire Dept comes in....but they can't get anywhere near the house cause the ammo is going off left and right. It sounds like a freakin' war and it's dangerous.

They tried to call into the house , no answer. Couldn't see any vehicles about so they all thought that he'd gone " walkabout" like he's known to do and wasn't home. Remember no one knew about the son being back.

After the fire died down and they could get near it , pure horror scene.

Th son was dead at the front of the house. He and his Dad were trying to fight the fire themselves. Now whether he died from a bullet right away or lay there a bled to death I don't know. The father was at the side of the house and he'd been hit in the hip area. I didn't kill him but it was bad enough that he had about 3 hip surgeries and lived in hell for the last 10 yrs of his life due to all the pins, plates, screws and nerve damage it caused.

The ammo in the vault....safe as it should have been. Yeah it a burned up a bit as the house was an inferno....but the damage came from the stored ammo in the closet.

This is why I say it's STUPID to keep large amts of live/loaded ammo in your home un-secured. You never know what might happen and it just might happen to you.

This is long....but ya'll asked why I am against large amount of AMMO in the house.

I live in a rural area. If your house catches on fire, well the Vol. Fire Dept might get there in 45 minutes. If you've not paid your fee ( $85.00 last yr)to the real " Red Truck" Fire Dept....and you're outside of a certain mileage limit...they won't even come out on a fire call, you're on your own.

OK.... a friend had a nice big house and a HUGE fireplace that he built. He was about 8 yrs older than me...we all grew up together as rednecks here!! We all shot birds, skeet, targets, varmits...whatever. He was also an avid hunter. He had a ammo vault also.

BUT....he had a room off the LR , basically a closet, that was stacked case upon on case with live/loaded ammo. I mean everything from .22 to AK-47 and lord knows what else. He was also a retired Ga State Trooper, with all the problems and paranoia that comes with it.

Anyhoo....I hear via the grapevine that his house caught fire. Don't know why, assume the fireplace as he had a habit of leaving out for days on end and not telling anyone he'd gone. His 22 yr old son had moved in with him---no one knew this at the time.

So, we've got a house fire. It's about 45 minutes or so and the Vol Fire Dept comes in....but they can't get anywhere near the house cause the ammo is going off left and right. It sounds like a freakin' war and it's dangerous.

They tried to call into the house , no answer. Couldn't see any vehicles about so they all thought that he'd gone " walkabout" like he's known to do and wasn't home. Remember no one knew about the son being back.

Th son was dead at the front of the house. He and his Dad were trying to fight the fire themselves. Now whether he died from a bullet right away or lay there a bled to death I don't know. The father was at the side of the house and he'd been hit in the hip area. I didn't kill him but it was bad enough that he had about 3 hip surgeries and lived in hell for the last 10 yrs of his life due to all the pins, plates, screws and nerve damage it caused.

The ammo in the vault....safe as it should have been. Yeah it a burned up a bit as the house was an inferno....but the damage came from the stored ammo in the closet.

This is why I say it's STUPID to keep large amts of live/loaded ammo in your home un-secured. You never know what might happen and it just might happen to you.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a friend who along with his wife and two kids were in a car wreck and they all died. Now I am pushing to outlaw all cars and hope you go along on this agenda with me.

Larrry said:
This is long....but ya'll asked why I am against large amount of AMMO in the house.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a friend who along with his wife and two kids were in a car wreck and they all died. Now I am pushing to outlaw all cars and hope you go along on this agenda with me.

Too bad you didn't ride along with them.

kolanuraven said:
This is long....but ya'll asked why I am against large amount of live/loaded AMMO in the house.

Kolo that is about the dumbest reason that I ever heard. What do you suppose the odds are of ones house catching fire ? Knowing they had that much ammo in the house they should have got out and far away from the house instead of trying to fight the fire.

I am the Chief of our VFD and I can tell you we get there as fast as we can,you want faster service move to the city.We deny no one fire service and roll on mutual aid to areas outside of ours.

Was this fire in a manufactured home ? If so I can assure you it is almost impossible to get there fast enough to save one. Even a full time paid FD has a hard time saving one.

I can appreciate your concern for your friends but your logic don't hold water.

Mahoney-Pursley Ranch said:
kolanuraven said:

Kolo that is about the dumbest reason that I ever heard. What do you suppose the odds are of ones house catching fire ? Knowing they had that much ammo in the house they should have got out and far away from the house instead of trying to fight the fire.

I am the Chief of our VFD and I can tell you we get there as fast as we can,you want faster service move to the city.We deny no one fire service and roll on mutual aid to areas outside of ours.

Was this fire in a manufactured home ? If so I can assure you it is almost impossible to get there fast enough to save one. Even a full time paid FD has a hard time saving one.

Good you go to all fires.

Here if you are not reg. and paid up.....all you'll get is the Vol Fire Dept.
Believe me or not...I really don't give a double damn to be honest.

House....stick built/brick and only about 7-8 yrs old.

Listen...I was asked as to why I felt the way I did.

I answered that question.

If you don't like the way I answer questions....don't read my replies .

It's that simple!

I can appreciate your concern for your friends but your logic don't hold water.[/quote]

It's that simple![/quote]

Your really something aint ya. A regular smart ass.

Your answer still doesn't account for why they didn't get out of the house and seek shelter.

It's that simple![/quote]

Your answer still doesn't account for why they didn't get out of the house and seek shelter.[/quote]

You must have reading problems. They were outside the house...trying to put out the fire themselves. RE READ it.......

The son was dead at the front of the house. He and his Dad were trying to fight the fire themselves. Now whether he died from a bullet right away or lay there a bled to death I don't know. The father was at the side of the house

I wasn't at their house when it broke loose....I can't dig'em up and ask'em why they didn't run...it's just what happened.

No matter where they were they should have gotten far away knowing all that ammo was in there.

If we know any explosives are in a structure we back off till it is safe to fight the fire. Common sense and regulations last time I checked.

kolanuraven said:

It's that simple!

Your answer still doesn't account for why they didn't get out of the house and seek shelter.[/quote]

You must have reading problems. They were outside the house...trying to put out the fire themselves. RE READ it.......

The son was dead at the front of the house. He and his Dad were trying to fight the fire themselves. Now whether he died from a bullet right away or lay there a bled to death I don't know. The father was at the side of the house

I wasn't at their house when it broke loose....I can't dig'em up and ask'em why they didn't run...it's just what happened.[/quote]

That is usually the case her logic never holds water :D :D

Ever notice that no matter what happens she has done it
seen it knows someone who had it happen to them
she must be the 300 yr old woman to have done,seen, lived, heard, all the experiences she CLAIMS to know about!!!

Does that come from all that experience she has digging up dino bones? lol lol lol lol

I kind of agree with Kolan to a certain degree :shock: Storing to much ammo is not safe unless it is done properly. I think a person that is storing mass amounts should have to do it in some responsible way. A responsible Gun owner should do this anyway.

I do believe though that people should be able to own all they want, but they should be held accountable if they are radicals that have thousands of rounds stored in an unsafe manner!

God help me am I turning Liberal? :eek:

She may be right, he should have stored it in waterproof containers in different locations, ammo caches. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. On the other hand, maybe he did do that!

Ben H said:
She may be right, he should have stored it in waterproof containers in different locations, ammo caches. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. On the other hand, maybe he did do that!

If the bullets had been subjected to the traces in current legislation, it would not have prevented the incident.

The news said 137 traffic deaths were attributed to the current ice storm. Are we going to make it harder than hades to buy cars now? Or are we going to limit the amount of fuel a person can put in the gas tank?

All I want to do is buy another box of ammo when I run out. That has already been compromised. Wally world is in the retail business and I couldn't buy ONE box of shells from them for months. If it is not because of Obama and the current rhetoric, why?

I went into WalMart the other day for dog food and bought some shells.....no problem and they had plenty.

Maybe it's was just a shipping delay in your area.........there is no shortage in these parts.

What about all those pressurized cans of pam, fly spray, spray paint, etc etc, should they be stored in a fire proof safe, I have seen some of them become pretty dangerous when exposed to fire!

Some place a long time ago I read an article about ammunition in a fire not being overly dangerous unless it was in the chamber of a gun due to all the pressure of the powder being dispersed in a big area and not concentrated on one area of putting the bullet down the barrel where it gains it's force,
If I have time I will search for the information and post it.

Now do not get me wrong I am not advocating unsafe practices, but I am saying bad information is worse than no information at all!

Latest posts