• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another little story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

azcowpuncher

Reaction score
There once was a farmer who had some cows , he couldnt gather them with his feed truck or his buckett so they all got away . Then he had to pay a guy like me $ 250.00 a head to catch them for him so farmer john could have his happy farm back again . Ohhhhh and you should have seen it all , lilly white flowers and daisies were growin again , the big bad wolf was thousands of miles away . His garden was comin in good his tractors never broke down his wife wasnt sleepin with the cowboy down the road she was content with half of a man farmer john is and life was all right again .

Hows that no more big bad cow tale for you whiners i wouldnt wanna give ya nightmares and make you loose sleep cause somwere out there is a cow runnin round out there who has been abused , sound slike i am talkin to peta folks dont it ? Well hope you like the new story it has a happy ending i think you all will enjoy .

that was down right entertaining,i beleve your getting as handy with the keyboard as with a rope.i really enjoyed both stories,it must be nice to ride that big country.down here big spreads are getting scarcer every year,hard to run cows when damn developers are paying 30,000 an acre. every time an oldtimer dies the kids sell out.maybe we'll get a few more hurricanes and a few more will pack up and head back north.anyhow keep them storys coming :clap: :clap:

Yup, that's a good one!

'Course them bunny huggers might take exception to it, but what the hell do they know? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If they had to deal with an ol' rip even half that snorty they'd quit the country in a hurry! :D

Liked the story! I'm surprised you actually told what you did. I've mentioned a time or two about putting the boots to a critter and kind of got jumped on about it. But you know, sometimes that's all you are left with doing when you're dealing with an uncooperative critter.

I can of had to appreciate the try the old cow had. She didn't weaken right off.

azcowpuncher said:
Well you all have Jinglebob to thank he was the one that helped me with these gettin then in story form . But 100 % truth .

I have been pucnhin cows round the southwest for all of my grown up years been all over a little i guess . A few years back I was on a little rough country Arizona ranch under the mogollon rim , big canyons with cedar mesas and big ponderosa pine stands up in the higher parts more rocks and boulders than there was grass , holdin down a camp and enjoying the solitude of the northern Arizona range . we were hard at the spring works brandin calves workin in my piece of country that i take care of . Now i had this ole high horned bramer cow that just dont like group functions , she is bad about runnin off from the holdup or jumpin over gates and leavin the country and you would have to catch her everytime .Well today was a bad day for her all around she just didnt know it yet .

but i was layin for her just waitin for her to pull her run off routine . Well we get to the holdup ( for all you folks that dont know what a holdup is its were the drive comes together at one spot and throw the cattle all together you buckaroos know it as a rodear , and the brush hands a ways east of here usually dont get to see it cause they ride by it or around it or just plain never make it to it ) well anyway she is with the bunch when i go to workin the bulls off i see her with her head high in the herd lookin for an escape route , she usually would round the outside of the herd till she found some cowpuncher day dreamin and make a bust for it . So I slip around pretty close to her without her knowin that i am after her and when she throws her tail in the air i roll the iron under ole jigaboo and we are in hot persuit , now jigaboo is a good ole pony lots of speed and and a boulder poundin s.o.b. . well it aint far from the holdup and i get her caught and we were camped right on her ass so i threw a coil or two of my rope at her and she managed to step over it with one front foot and ole jigaboo put the binders on and send her ass over tea kettle , and she got the wind knocked out of her pretty good and layed and i steped off and got her tied .
Well by the time i get to her and get her tied i am pretty peeved about the whole deal cause she is always interupting a smooth operation , well in the whole double gainer that me and ole jigaboo sent her into she broke a horn . Well she was pretty hooky and sure liked to hook a horse if you werent payin attention . so i decided to saw the other one off as well . Some of you boys out there are askin why i hadnt done it before when i had her tied down , well the boss man sure did get his feelins hurt when he made a gather and cows that normaly have high horns would start showin up to the holdup with short horns . well i get her horn tipped and go to trottin back to ole jigaboo , well she hooks at me there on the ground and got that little stubble horn in the bottom of my leggins and sent me ass over tea kettle my self . so now i am real red in the face mad cause the whole crew is watchin me . so i go back and i start puttin the boots to her head well when i get her worked over good i pack her top eye lids full of good ole copenhagen cause i have spit in my own eye once or twice and its not a pleasurable thing . Then i give her a good ole wack on both eyes for good measure ( and a good smear ) . any other time i let her up , wich i had tied her down a few times before like i said she was pretty hooky if you didnt get out of her way and she would be on the fight but for the most part you could get around her and get her back to the herd with out havin to catch her again or lead her , then she didnt seem to mind hagnin out till the party was over . well when i let her up this time i am thinkin we are in for a hell of a fight cause fightin to get up she is facin away from the holdup when i let her up . when she got up it looked like somone just set her ass on fire but when she got up she threw her tail up and right back into the herd she went .

She was the best lead cow we had after that you could make a drive and she would always be out in the lead and them ole cows would just fall in behind her and walk like troopers . when you got everything throwed together she would stay in the middle of the holdup and with out a fuss you could wean her calf without so much as a bawl , and in a couple of those camps we weaned outside with no corral and just threw the cut outside with a few old cows and drove them to the shippin pens , there is only maybe 2 outfitts that i know of in arizona still do it that way . Once in a while she would get to were she was feelin good and act like she was gonna pull out but all you had to do was hollar real loud "HEEEEEYYYYY " and she would fall right back in the bunch like nothin was goin on . So it might not be the most humane thing to do but thanks to copenhagen and paul bond boots we had us a hell of a cow .

With all due respect, you brag about this? I'm glad you are so proud of treating God's creatures like this! :mad:

I'd think your old Bramer cow was justified for sending you ass over tea kettle for sawing on her horn (something about more nerves in the horns than in any other part of the bovines body makes me think it probably hurt a little,) and even more justified for packing her eyes with chew. :roll: :roll: :mad: :mad:

I'm glad you don't punch for us. We respect our stock much more than this.

And, yes, I was raised in rough and tumble country not too far from where you are...and yes I know about wild cows and how dealing with them takes some different measures. But I also know about treating stock with respect, and this would never happen on our ranch.

Go ahead Jinglebob and heckle me all you want for being a "bunny hugger" if it means treating stock with care and respect, I'll gladly take the title.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Edited: By the way, I have stewed over this since I first saw it earlier today, trying to decide whether it was worth it to respond. I finally decided it was...if you can stand up for what you believe is "right" then you don't stand for anything at all. I apologize for being so ornery and negative. TTB :cry: :cry: :cry:

I agree with you TTB. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

IMO there are a lot of folks who read this forum that we don't know and they don't know ranching. They'll lump us all together because they don't know any different and we'll all be branded as 'inhumane' or worse. It's too bad that they can cause us problems when they get the wrong idea, but these days it's a fact. We wouldn't treat a cow this way, either...but
I know it is different in Arizona. And remember, AZ doesn't own any cattle...he rides for other people.

Anyway, there are just some things you don't talk about on a public forum.

As a matter of fact i do own my own cattle 75 of them to be exact me and my brother partner on a cow deal and we treat our stck with the respect that it deserves just like anything else and yes we do make money . I am glad i dont work for you either cause the first time i got chewed out for tippin a horn you would get your teeth knocked down your throat and may get your horns tipped to boot . You dont like the way i do things it dont bother me in the least i get the job done and have a job to go back to anywere i have worked in the past . So i supose i am doin somthin right . You dont know why you tip horns to begin with so i would try and comment on it till you understand the reason .

Faster horses i dont care if you are a moderator or what ever you should think about what you say before you open your mouth and let the crap run out , if you think that the comment sayin that i work for other people and dont have cows of my own is suposed to make me look bad you have some re thinking to do . If anything i would be ok with doin that to my own stock i would think someone who you work for would see it different . so maybe you should re think your statement ? Cause the last one didnt make any sence . Sorry to have pissed everyone off with my little story but workin cattle is not all daiseys and fluffy calves .

When I first read that I thought oh my gosh how could he do that!!?? But I reread it and thought well if the cow hooks the horse and cowboys with her horns she doesnt need them, It hurts when you get hooked with horns. And when she gets up she would go after the person, so you put chew in her eyes so she couldnt chase you right away. I dont handle my cows that way, but papa used to spray stuff in the crazy cows eyes so they wouldnt get after you, after you let them out of the chute or untied them.

I know JB thinks im a bunny hugger, and i might care for animals more than the next person, but if I had to do something to get a cow from running over me id do it. Im sure we have all had our fair sure of kicking cows, it doesnt kill them. They will live to moo another day. And Im also sure we've all had our fair share of cows kicking us, its just something that happens.

But I dont think we should get on to AZ for doing something that more or less had to do, so he could get out of her way intime.

JMO

Katy

azcowpuncher said:
As a matter of fact i do own my own cattle 75 of them to be exact me and my brother partner on a cow deal and we treat our stck with the respect that it deserves just like anything else and yes we do make money . I am glad i dont work for you either cause the first time i got chewed out for tippin a horn you would get your teeth knocked down your throat and may get your horns tipped to boot . You dont like the way i do things it dont bother me in the least i get the job done and have a job to go back to anywere i have worked in the past . So i supose i am doin somthin right . You dont know why you tip horns to begin with so i would try and comment on it till you understand the reason .

Faster horses i dont care if you are a moderator or what ever you should think about what you say before you open your mouth and let the crap run out , if you think that the comment sayin that i work for other people and dont have cows of my own is suposed to make me look bad you have some re thinking to do . If anything i would be ok with doin that to my own stock i would think someone who you work for would see it different . so maybe you should re think your statement ? Cause the last one didnt make any sence . Sorry to have p****d everyone off with my little story but workin cattle is not all daiseys and fluffy calves .

Mr. Puncher...

I don't mind the fact you tipped the horns, I am just saying she probably sent you sailing for a reason, and that's because it hurt. I myself have tipped the horns of lots of cattle.

I was always taught you should treat animals like you own them, regardless if you do or don't. Do you really think the Copenhagen deal was necessary? Do you think it was really necessary to "wack on both eyes for good measure"? Are you sure your ego didn't get a little damaged by Miss Bramer, so you were just being Mr. Studly and gettin' her back?

I didn't think you could make any cash with only 75 head in Arizona...at least that is what you said previously in Cows and Cowboys
azcowpuncher said:
.....here in Arizona they say anything less that 500 head and your losin money thats here in the state i am not speaking for other states.

I myself don't judge folks on whether they have one or 10,000 head...I've seen good operations of all sizes in all locations of the country. I am sure you have a nice set of cows that do you well.

I have no doubt you're probably pretty talented with horse and rope, but that doesn't mean I agree with your treatment of Miss Bramer.

And, Sweetroll, if you're gonna jam my teeth down my throat, you'd better be packing a lunch :wink:

Cheers---

Canadian_Cowgirl said:
When I first read that I thought oh my gosh how could he do that!!?? But I reread it and thought well if the cow hooks the horse and cowboys with her horns she doesnt need them, It hurts when you get hooked with horns. And when she gets up she would go after the person, so you put chew in her eyes so she couldnt chase you right away. I dont handle my cows that way, but papa used to spray stuff in the crazy cows eyes so they wouldnt get after you, after you let them out of the chute or untied them.

I know JB thinks im a bunny hugger, and i might care for animals more than the next person, but if I had to do something to get a cow from running over me id do it. Im sure we have all had our fair sure of kicking cows, it doesnt kill them. They will live to moo another day. And Im also sure we've all had our fair share of cows kicking us, its just something that happens.

But I dont think we should get on to AZ for doing something that more or less had to do, so he could get out of her way intime.

JMO

Katy

Katy....

The last person I know who kicked a cow spent 4 hours in surgury fixing his broken foot...those ol' gals heads are HARD and they seem to be quicker than man. If tippin' horns and kicking was all that was done...I'd say all's fair...but I'm still not taken with the chew deal and wacking on the eyes...

Cheers---

See again you folks jump to conclusions about what you think i have and taken my words out of another post , i have 75 of my own and me and my brother are partners on a cow deal were he pastures 1000 head in the spring i dont work for him but i am partner in the land becuase the land was left to us by our grandparents and just happens to be next to a forest permitt that we got a hold of , so you should ask before you just talk . Yes belive it or not i do make money off my little herd . No the copenhagen didnt hurt her one bit long term wise , i am sure it burned her eyes then , i wanted it to thats why i did it . She was a good cow after that just like i said in the deal i wrote so in the long run it all worked out .

Well now I feel bad. I was the one who encouraged Az to share some stories.

I guess I am a lot like Az in that I have lost my temper and done some things that looking back, maybe don't look all that good.

I don't think he hurt this cow too much and probably saved her life as if she had gone on the way she was, she was going to get shipped to the canners.

TTB (who by the way is a pretty nice lady Az, as is FH) have you ever had Copenhagen in your eyes? I have. Sure didn't blind me, but it made my eyes water pretty bad for a bit. Matter of fact, when driving long late hours, it's been known to help keep a feller awake! :)

And yup, Katy is a bunny hugger. I like little bunnies myself, but the fact remains that there are a lot of people who have never had to deal with rough, tuff, bad livestock. If you can hurt a cow with your feet or bare hands, let me know how. I've seen bulls and cows fight and really hurt each other and I've yet to find a way that I can inflict enough pain on one WITH MY BARE HANDS OR FEET that even made a slight impression on one.

Sure, feel sorry for a man hatin', horse cripplin' rip who should probably of been culled years ago, but never show any mercy on the feller who has to deal with them on a day to day basis. Join in the enviro, bunny huggin' movement, as it works both ways. Lets outlaw dehorning, branding and casterating also. Each of these is necessary and most of us ranchers do it, but I bet you can think of good reasons to do them and rationalize these practices. But you sure raise hell with someone who maybe loses his temper when he has put up with enough of this crap from this cow.

If you had read the story closely, you would see that Az and her had had lots of encounters before. Cattle like this will spoil the other cattle just like a fence crawler will train other cattle to crawl fence. He gave the old rip lots of chances to rectify her ways and become a christian. Finally, he had to get tuff and it got her turned around. Kind of like tuff love. and didn't hurt much more than her pride and she had some respect for a man and horse afterwards.

Maybe this wasn't a tale to be shared on an open forum and better to be heard by folks who know all about this first hand, but I got a chuckle out of it and it is dang sure a COWBOY story.

I'll bet Asz could tell some stories about spending countless hours moving dry cattle to water and other acts of kindness, but they probably wouldn't be as interesting.

Don't crank on Az, crank on me, as I was the one who told him to share it here.

Sorry Az, I thought we had more people who dealt with livestock on here, other than in gentle cattle in pens and with buckets of cubes to gather them. :wink:

If the cow had killed a horse or man, would you ladies have been happier with the story? Cause that has happened with cattle like this also.

I wasnt sayin that i was gonna knock your teeth down your throat ttb i was making a point that if you dont leave me alone and let me do what i think needs to be done then you will end up ina bad way as well and short a cowboy .

Jinglebob said:
Well now I feel bad. I was the one who encouraged Az to share some stories.

I guess I am a lot like Az in that I have lost my temper and done some things that looking back, maybe don't look all that good.

I don't think he hurt this cow too much and probably saved her life as if she had gone on the way she was, she was going to get shipped to the canners.

TTB (who by the way is a pretty nice lady Az, as is FH) have you ever had Copenhagen in your eyes? I have. Sure didn't blind me, but it made my eyes water pretty bad for a bit. Matter of fact, when driving long late hours, it's been known to help keep a feller awake! :)

And yup, Katy is a bunny hugger. I like little bunnies myself, but the fact remains that there are a lot of people who have never had to deal with rough, tuff, bad livestock. If you can hurt a cow with your feet or bare hands, let me know how. I've seen bulls and cows fight and really hurt each other and I've yet to find a way that I can inflict enough pain on one WITH MY BARE HANDS OR FEET that even made a slight impression on one.

Sure, feel sorry for a man hatin', horse cripplin' rip who should probably of been culled years ago, but never show any mercy on the feller who has to deal with them on a day to day basis. Join in the enviro, bunny huggin' movement, as it works both ways. Lets outlaw dehorning, branding and casterating also. Each of these is necessary and most of us ranchers do it, but I bet you can think of good reasons to do them and rationalize these practices. But you sure raise hell with someone who maybe loses his temper when he has put up with enough of this crap from this cow.

If you had read the story closely, you would see that Az and her had had lots of encounters before. Cattle like this will spoil the other cattle just like a fence crawler will train other cattle to crawl fence. He gave the old rip lots of chances to rectify her ways and become a christian. Finally, he had to get tuff and it got her turned around. Kind of like tuff love. and didn't hurt much more than her pride and she had some respect for a man and horse afterwards.

Maybe this wasn't a tale to be shared on an open forum and better to be heard by folks who know all about this first hand, but I got a chuckle out of it and it is dang sure a COWBOY story.

I'll bet Asz could tell some stories about spending countless hours moving dry cattle to water and other acts of kindness, but they probably wouldn't be as interesting.

Don't crank on Az, crank on me, as I was the one who told him to share it here.

Sorry Az, I thought we had more people who dealt with livestock on here, other than in gentle cattle in pens and with buckets of cubes to gather them. :wink:

If the cow had killed a horse or man, would you ladies have been happier with the story? Cause that has happened with cattle like this also.

Jingle Bob you "flip flop more than Pamela Anderson's jog bra" There is know doubt that AZ can handle himself on horseback.

My big question is that why did this old rip last that long? We have had this discussuion on here before about the purebred guy not treating his cattle like true commercial cattlemen do. Well that old rip would have been gone....gone....gone... (Life is too short to put up with that stuff as you fully pointed out when you stated if someone would have been injured or killed from this cow.) Or maybe that story could be our next footnote about some of the bulls we try and sell next spring. :lol: :lol: I would bet money that you would be the first to sit on your hands and watch them pass out of the ring.

AZ my dad has been a faithful supporter of Copenhagen for more years than you have been alive. I'm not sure he would have wasted it on that cow. :lol: :lol:

I'm sure this looks like I am trying to help my wife but trust me she can take care of herself.

have a cold one

lazy ace

AZ my dad has been a faithful supporter of Copenhagen for more years than you have been alive. I'm not sure he would have wasted it on that cow.

That was my thinking too....Now I see there is talk of the Feds wanting to raise the tax again... :roll: :mad:

Soon there won't be an affordable vice around.... :wink:

lazy ace said:
My big question is that why did this old rip last that long?

Danged if I know. Probably owned by one of them "cowmen' who hates to sell one that might raise a calf and who cares less about someone who is dumb enough to want to "cowboy" for a living. :roll:

Yup, I would set on my hands.

But I've run some for a feller who would have bought her cheap and sent her to me to run and put up with.

Sorry some of us ain't been able to get back into the cow/calf business yet and we have to do what we have to do to pay the bills. :wink:

they ain't all sweetness and light when you got cows as I am sure you know.

In the end, he made a cristian of her and she saw the light and saved herslef from the canners.

I've gotten pretty rough with a few who were bound and determined to be fence crawlers and they came to see the light also. :wink: :lol:

When you work for other people and have to run what the guy sends you, you learn to deal with the sorry ones. Sometimes it ain't real pretty, but it works.

If I'd a been Az I believe I'd a made beef out of her and told the boss she "broke a leg" and I'd a never had to deal with her again.

I admire Az for his course of action and if it was my cow I'd a stood there and cheered him on.

You know, out in the roughs where there ain't much but rocks and trees and no pens, a feller has to do what it takes to get the job done. Them fellers been doing it for a long time and I notice that most of them still have jobs and there is still cow outfits and cowpunchers in them parts of the country. Must be working for them, huh? :D

In AZ defense, the story he told is more the norm than than the unusual in rough wild brushy cattle country -- tying cattle down, leading cattle for miles to get them where they can be penned or loaded, dealing with wild maverick bulls, tracking and locating wild cattle, and handling horned cattle on the fight are all a type of cowboying foreign to most and truthfully require some cowboying skills that not every cowboy has --He's the real deal folks --and for his zip code, he's very normal.

It's just how it is. Not wrong, not bad, just how it is. And it's very real.

It's got nothing to do with working your own or someone elses cattle ---plenty of those cowboys come off the big ranches where they been hired and it what is done because that's what you do -- it is expected of them.

I also have been on these I-net boards long enough to know not all stories are good for "public consumption" because like was mentioned...some people just don't know or understand and it's taken completely out of context --

I could mirror Az's story with a few more like it or "worse" -- first hand stories. But I don't tell them because you sorta just "gotta be there" to understand. I think this thread has proved that point.

Old timer...I know a guy who, every time the price of chewing tobacco goes up....he claims that they are finally getting it up to what it's worth :)

All a matter of perspective. :) :)

or justification :) :) :???: :???:

Latest posts