• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ben, the master plan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike may be able to correct me on this, but the last I heard, M-ID stopped at the killing floor.

You are right unless the packing plant runs the ScoringAg and Meatbooks software.
https://www.scoringag.com/scoringag/3/Public/docs/packingplant_solution_model.pdf

QUESTION said:
Sand M-ID provides a proof of where beef comes. simple if it is good for the goose it is good for the gander. If you want acceptance do it M-ID in the US has more benefits than you are seeing. I realizes that it opens up the liability for food borne illness but i thought you wanted to hold the packers accountible for high quality food. As for your borders how many mexican workers come in let alone cattle undocumented every year?
Canada took the US feed ban improved it and it strill wasn't good enough so it had to be strenghtened again to get it right and are you saying the original is better. In reality cattle are still eating cattle in the US and this isn't a feed ban. Give it up and start eliminating the loopholes before you start saying the canadian ban doesn't work as well as the US one.
At least i can debate with you sand, while others who don't agree with what i say start name calling. Like OT and econ callling me a idiot , i guess in the US independant thought is frowned upon, as well as higher education like a degree in animal science. But they can keep on callling me names it is a sign of a limited intelect to start calling names. They can't bully me so they call names like grade school kids. How will i ever recover from this emotianal damage. :lol: . LOL

Question, I don' remember calling you anything. If I did, I apologize. If you are really x, I don't retract the apology but you have to realize it was for those particular posts, not you personally.

Why all the oppositiion to an ID and tracking program? Cost has been sited, but in the long run it givens the consumer comfort that there is a way to trace the animal back and isn't that what you are saying the US consumer wants. Also it provides a way to track a disease outbreak. A ID program makes sense on so many levels. Set it up like the canadian system that the imfo on a particular animal is to be released only in a disease situation to govenment officials. so personal information can't be abused by packers or buyers or who ever.
SAND i know of over 100 head of canadian cows still alive and well in the US they are PBs and were brought in just prior to the first BSE case when they were heifers. And i am 1 guy not to mention all the commercial hfers that went south prior to the first BSE case. 80% of calves born in canada prior to the BSE outbreak were exported to the US as feeders . How many of the females were turned into the US cowherd? There are many more canadian born cows in the US than most US cattlemen think there are. Think about it the estimates are 10 - 15 % of the US cowherd was born in canada. And that number grows as you get closer to the border.
The US market in my mind is one that should not be ignored. But the reality is that the Canadian cattle industry has revived it's packing industry and in some cases by partnering with the the big packers. The kill capacity of canada will exceed its production in this calender year. So congradulations to r-calf they just helped make another competator and took jobs out of the US . Way to Go. Because of things like this econimists are predicting a recession that may turn into a depression in the US economy.

I'm not adamantly opposed to an ID system, but, for starters, I'm not convinced we need one. I have seen evidence that consumers do care whether their food comes from this country or not, but I haven't seen that which state, county, or ranch draws any concern. A consumer won't be able to pick up a package of beef and get any information from it at the store, so what good does it do them?

What about the states that can already track animals? It concerns me that the ID folks have an existing system that already meets their stated goals in front of them, but they choose to promote a totally different unproven deal. It makes me think there are other reasons not being stated.

Another huge red flag for me is the pro ID folks are anti-COOL, and one of their claims against COOL is that it will be too expensive. Now think about that; They want to be able to keep track of every pasture an animal has been in in their life, but just knowing which country an animal came from is too expensive? The dots don't connect.

I doubt many feeders were converted to breeding stock. That's just not how it generally works. Yeah, you may know of 100 head and 9 of your buddies may know of another 100 head, but we've got 90 Million head down here. A couple thousand amounts to a fart in a thunderstorm. :secret: Also, if they're PB, the owner knows where they came from.

I've heard that arguement that R-CALF helped the packers up there and I don't buy it. Yeah, your packing capacity expanded so now you can hire Africans to work there instead of Mexicans doing it down here. I actually see that as a positive! R-CALF is looking at the big picture which is a government selling out producers and putting their livelihoods at risk for the greed of big business. What I'm hearing is people saying that R-CALF shouldn't shoot the coon in the chicken house because the shot might wake up grandma. Canada processing more animals isn't going to kill us - a government agency in the habit of arbitrarily reversing health policy designed to protect us will.

Sure there are Africans working here, but they are all legal, and they pay taxes like the rest of us. :roll: :roll: Lots of taxes. :roll: :roll:

Why do you say the pro-ID folks are against COOL? :?

Porker, I don't know about ?, but we've got RFID tags on every animal we own. So does everyone else up here. If you want to take something to the vet, it even needs a tag.

Kato said:
Sure there are Africans working here, but they are all legal, and they pay taxes like the rest of us. :roll: :roll: Lots of taxes. :roll: :roll

Good for you. Most of our's burden social services, schools, law enforcement etc... and end up sending their money out of country. US taxpayers pay and get nothing in return. It's finally coming to a head down here.

Why do you say the pro-ID folks are against COOL? :?

Ask them and see if their answers make any sense.

Porker, I don't know about ?, but we've got RFID tags on every animal we own. So does everyone else up here. If you want to take something to the vet, it even needs a tag.

If i see your animal at a sale yard can I read the RFID tag into the Canadian national database to see if it was Vaccinated or to see how old it was ?

Not yet, but the database has been linked to a vaccination program by Boehringer now, and I expect that other companies will be wanting to link their programs too.

If you see one at a sale barn, just ask.... we always stay and watch them sell. :D :D

Sandhusker said:
Ben Roberts said:
Sandhusker said:
I'm delegating that to you. Think you can have that done by, say, a week from Friday?

No! This is your plan, not mine. Surely you had thought of a way, to implement this master plan, besides giving me a list of things to do by a week from Friday!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

It's going to take all of us bending the ears of Washington so hard they they have no choice but to do what we want.

The cattle industry in this country, will be history before that happens!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Porker i'll answer it in depth - Every animal on the place carries a RFID tag, a herd id tag ( metal ketchum tag with my adress, land location and name )and a individual identification drop tag, PB and % animals carry tattoos, as well ALL are branded. I want people to know my cattle, i am proud of them and willing to put them on the line against anyones. When i sell my commercial calves the buyers know them and pay extra for the chance to buy my calves that make them the extra dollars when finished. I have no problem having my animals identified. With the tags tattoos and brands you can track an animal back to my herd very easily. My motto for the PB and % bulls i sell commercial cattlemen - I ID my bulls because want everyone to know who sold you the bull that sired those great calves. How much ID do your cattle have Porker ?

Ben, "The cattle industry in this country, will be history before that happens! "

Then I guess we'll be history.

I just read on the television that the FDA suspended seafood imports from China.

I happen to like to eat smoked oysters. In all the cans I have bought, I have noticed they all come from China. Needless to say, after the melamine scandal and realizing that there really is no oversight on these products, I stopped eating those oysters. Now I will have to use them in trapping coons or possums or other furbearers. I am sure not going to eat them. They might taste good but so does rat poison to rats.

I ID my bulls because want everyone to know who sold you the bull that sired those great calves. How much ID do your cattle have Porker ?

1 RFID Bolus and 1 Ear tag .

Ben, there has to be a starting point for changing the industry. If you don't know where you want to go, you might end up walking around forever going no where.

I think Sandhusker's goals should be the ideal goals of most if not all cattle producers. It might be a good thing for the USDA to keep these in mind instead of all the garbage the packers feed to them.

Sandhusker makes many valid points.

We don't need ID here unless its voluntary, ANY product imported in should be labeled for the consumer as to product of origin and none of this stuff that if its on american soil for 100 days it qualifies as an american product.

An American product must be born, produced, grown, raised in the USA..... and that is what the American consumer wants to know.

It is not the American people's responsibility to make sure other countries prosper, such as the WTO and if it were left up to the American people there would not be a United Nations nor a WTO or at least the United States of America would not be participating in it. Other countries see what our government does, they don't see or know what the actual people want. If it was up to the people, our borders would be shut down and illegals would be shot on sight.

Econ101 said:
Ben, there has to be a starting point for changing the industry. If you don't know where you want to go, you might end up walking around forever going no where.

I think Sandhusker's goals should be the ideal goals of most if not all cattle producers. It might be a good thing for the USDA to keep these in mind instead of all the garbage the packers feed to them.

With the cattlemen's organizations that we have today, and the control the multi-national corporations have in the USDA, I believe those goals are unrealistic. Until the cattle producers take back the control of this industry! I agree there has to be a starting point, that starting point, it's not in Washington DC.

Econ, when you speak of all of the garbage the USDA is being fed, it may be garbage, but it is wrapped in hundred dollar bills!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

PORKER said:
An American product must be born, produced, grown, raised in the USA.....COOL

What about the USA feeders that are fed in Canada, then shipped back to the USA for slaughter? What about the Canadian feeders that are fed and slaughtered in the USA? What about the thousands of Canadian feeder pigs that are fed and slaughtered in the USA?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben Roberts said:
PORKER said:
An American product must be born, produced, grown, raised in the USA.....COOL

What about the USA feeders that are fed in Canada, then shipped back to the USA for slaughter? What about the Canadian feeders that are fed and slaughtered in the USA? What about the thousands of Canadian feeder pigs that are fed and slaughtered in the USA?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Won't get the "Product of USA label". You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Latest posts