• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ben, the master plan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben Roberts said:
Bill said:
MoGal said:
http://www.themarketworks.org/issuesbeforeus.html

The packers are already singing the "blues".

Beef imported into the USA should not be issued a USA origin label.... no matter how many days (like it is now) it spends time in a feedlot in the USA.

So are you saying an animal born in Canada but fed in the US and slaughtered in a US plant should be labeled as Canadian?

Given all the irregularities and infractions that US plants have become known for and the chicken litter still allowed in US rations it sure as heck shouldn't have a product of Canada label on it .

Bill, how about a load of eared steers, or #2 Okies born in the USA, fed in Canada, slaughtered in the USA, and labeled Product Of Canada. Dosen't that make you feel proud!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

:lol: :lol: :lol: The good thing about that is they don't feed well up here so its not too likely but still possible!

MoGal's comment makes as much sense as saying you can't put a made in the USA sticker on a truck because it was made with steel from a plant in Canada or has some component manufactured in Mexico or Japan.

You mention in another post Ben that the COOL rules are being written but I think they already have been and yes there may be some very small concessions but MID will also be part of it. I recall that you were coming to Canada to speak to the NFU up here. Good luck with that and I am sure you will do a fine job but I hope you realize how small of a following they have and that they have a very hard time attracting credible media exposure. Siding with striking grain handlers unions and railroads and such tends to swiftly lose actual producer support from any org.

Keep the posts coming Ben they are one of the few things worth coming back here for.

Kato said:
allowing folks to choose cattle TOTALLY born, raised, fed, and slaughtered in the USA-- and thats the option people want...

Therefore, there must be a paper trail to confirm this.

Buyers/Feeders down here have been doing it for years (even pre BSE) for Japan that was already requiring proof of origin (county & state born & pastured-feed and medicine given- feedlot history right thru slaughter) and they have done it with signed affidavits....

Even after BSE the Packers were able to segregate out Canadian and foreign beef at the request of Japan, Korea and others-- thereby essentially giving them COOL, but they won't do that for the US consumer...

Oldtimer said:
Kato said:
allowing folks to choose cattle TOTALLY born, raised, fed, and slaughtered in the USA-- and thats the option people want...

Buyers/Feeders down here have been doing it for years (even pre BSE) for Japan that was already requiring proof of origin (county & state born & pastured-feed and medicine given- feedlot history right thru slaughter) and they have done it with signed affidavits....
Even after BSE the Packers were able to segregate out Canadian and foreign beef at the request of Japan, Korea and others-- thereby essentially giving them COOL, but they won't do that for the US consumer...

Are you trying to tell us that all the shipments of tongue, tripe and other "specialty meats" sent to Japan was source verified in the US?

Sandhusker said:
Mike said:
Sandhusker. WE control the cattle. Without cattle the packers can sell no beef.

WE CAN BE IN CONTROL!

We just don't realize it. :shock:

OK, how are we going to get control while staying out of USDA's jurisdiction? If you and/or Ben know how it can be accomplished, I'm all ears.

How do you see we would be under the jurisdiction of the USDA, when we would only contract, our cattle to be slaughtered by the packers?

Also, we could neutralize the USDA, by organizing into a organization the size of the Sierra Club.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Kato said:

Are you trying to tell us that all the shipments of tongue, tripe and other "specialty meats" sent to Japan was source verified in the US?

I can't tell you if ALL was-- but I know going back even into the late 90's the buyers and feedlot reps for thousands of cattle I was inspecting were requiring/getting signed affidavits-- which they told me was mainly for cattle bound for the Japanese market...And that copies of the affidavits were sent right with the meat...
A lot of it really started with Future Beef, that required lots of paperwork...

Most buyers here last year did not want/would not give anyone credit or premiums for ID tags-- instead they preferred the hot iron brand (permanent ID ), brand inspection (3rd party verification), and signed affidavits....
And I don't think thats changed much-- as from the USDA's last figures only 4% of Montanan's had signed onto the NAIS plan and got a ranch ID #....This tells me they still are not offering anything for premiums for eartags.....

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

I can't tell you if ALL was-- but I know going back even into the late 90's the buyers and feedlot reps for thousands of cattle I was inspecting were requiring/getting signed affidavits-- which they told me was mainly for cattle bound for the Japanese market...And that copies of the affidavits were sent right with the meat...
A lot of it really started with Future Beef, that required lots of paperwork...

Most buyers here last year did not want/would not give anyone credit or premiums for ID tags-- instead they preferred the hot iron brand (permanent ID ), brand inspection (3rd party verification), and signed affidavits....
And I don't think thats changed much-- as from the USDA's last figures only 4% of Montanan's had signed onto the NAIS plan and got a ranch ID #....This tells me they still are not offering anything for premiums for eartags.....
So in fact very little if any US beef shipped to Japan was source verified by any credible means before or after BSE.

Sure didn't take you long to backtrack and turn that into another anti MID rant though did it?

Maybe now you can dance around the statement of segregating Canadian beef for the Japanese.

Oldtimer, the reason why no small feedlot or small packer wants RFID tags, is because in this country that tag would allow the USDA access to their financial records.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Oldtimer said:
Kato said:

Oldtimer, signed affidavits, mean nothing in reality! they only protect the packer in this case from liability!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:
Kato said:

Oldtimer, signed affidavits, mean nothing in reality! they only protect the packer in this case from liability!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Well they have been the way folks have done business for thousands of years- have given many an attorney a good lifestyle for just reviewing them-- and I've put several folks behind bars for signing false ones....

What do you have thats better? Even with the NAIS eartag, someone along the line has to provide the info and verify that the info is correct- and put this in writing and sign off on it if requested ... With a signed affidavit....

Oldtimer said:
Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Well they have been the way folks have done business for thousands of years- have given many an attorney a good lifestyle for just reviewing them-- and I've put several folks behind bars for signing false ones....

What do you have thats better? Even with the NAIS eartag, someone along the line has to provide the info and verify that the info is correct- and put this in writing and sign off on it if requested ... With a signed affidavit....

The word of a person/organization of integrity, has no need to give a signed affidavit!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Kato said:

Producers won't as long as the folks at the border to their job. Packers will have to back it up and they have shown they can already do that.

Ben Roberts said:
Sandhusker said:
Mike said:
Sandhusker. WE control the cattle. Without cattle the packers can sell no beef.

WE CAN BE IN CONTROL!

We just don't realize it. :shock:

OK, how are we going to get control while staying out of USDA's jurisdiction? If you and/or Ben know how it can be accomplished, I'm all ears.

How do you see we would be under the jurisdiction of the USDA, when we would only contract, our cattle to be slaughtered by the packers?

Also, we could neutralize the USDA, by organizing into a organization the size of the Sierra Club.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

If you raise one calf, you're involved in agriculture and thus, under the juristiction of the USDA. Look at what they did with Creekstone; they made up a requirement that hadn't previously had - one that even contradicted - and still contradicts - established policy and they meddled into an area they have no business in. They completely pulled a bunch of nonsense out of their rears - and they can do the same thing with cattle contracts if they want to, and I'll guarantee you if you try to take control from the big packers, they WILL sic the USDA on you. Ben, they have already proven their actions don't have to make sense and they have no problem sticking their noses where it doesn't belong. If they want to trip you up, they'll do it.

Sandhusker said:
Kato said:

Producers won't as long as the folks at the border to their job. Packers will have to back it up and they have shown they can already do that.

Sandhusker-- I've spent months/years following all the news, editorials, blogs (conservative and liberal) about the immigration bill, Chinese and foreign food chaos, and M-COOL-- and thats exactly what 70-80% of the US people are saying (both conservative and Liberal)...They are telling the government that if these corporations want to import- put restrictions and guidelines/strict testing/costs of testing on these imports first-- and quit putting the restrictions/costs/dangers on the US citizen, and US producer ......The screwups of the current and last administrations failure to do any corporate/import enforcement are quickly moving the US populace into a much more isolationist way of thinking..,

People are fed up with the rich getting richer off foreign products/labor while the middle class pays the cost at the tax table...

And now that many of these folks are awakened, this will not change overnight-- there is going to be a huge rebellion at the polls this next election- and the populist, that believe in the US first supporters will be the ones that come out winning- which will be a first step at taking back this country....

Oldtimer, I just returned from a quick trip to Seattle, I passed three Wal-mart Super Centers (open 24 hours) on my way over and back. The parking lots of those super centers were full of cars, do you believe that those consumers are fed-up-with the rich getting richer off foreign products!

I can hardly wait until the next election, I don't want to miss this huge rebellion at the polls, you are talking about. Just in case I fall to sleep however, call me, so I won't miss all of the excitement.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Bill - sorry my response didn't make sense....... but (hopefully) we aren't eating steel .... we are talking about the food supply. These products imported in may not be so enticing/cheap if the company has to have accountability for it.

Sandhusker-- I've spent months/years following all the news, editorials, blogs (conservative and liberal) about the immigration bill, Chinese and foreign food chaos, and M-COOL-- and thats exactly what 70-80% of the US people are saying (both conservative and Liberal)...They are telling the government that if these corporations want to import- put restrictions and guidelines/strict testing/costs of testing on these imports first-- and quit putting the restrictions/costs/dangers on the US citizen, and US producer ......
People are fed up with the rich getting richer off foreign products/labor while the middle class pays the cost at the tax table...

That's the same thing I'm hearing but I live in a rural area. Now whether they will remember all this at the polls is another matter. But what I have seen on the local news when they went out and interviewed people on the street, 4 out of 5 were asking why we even import those products when we raise them here.

Most Americans were not aware that we import so much of our food until the pet food scare and then to find out it was in the food chain as well.

I also think a lot of people are fed up with corporate greed. They see their paychecks getting smaller and its on the news how many millions/billions these companies are making posting their quarterly profits.

Ben Roberts said:
Bill, how about a load of eared steers, or #2 Okies born in the USA, fed in Canada, slaughtered in the USA, and labeled Product Of Canada. Dosen't that make you feel proud!

And therein lies my second objection to COOL. I know dozens of Montana/Dakota cattle producers that send their calves to Canada for grass in the summer, then finish and slaughter them in the US.

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban. You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada. Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

Rod

MoGal, I agree, people are fed-up with corporate greed! But it's not against the law to make money. Draggin "N" made a statement that is very true, people are in a "hang-on" and "wait for the government to fix it" mode. We as Americans have short-term memories though, when it comes to casting votes, we don't even show up to vote. What else do you expect, from a government that is greatly influenced by multi-national corporations, greed dosen't stop at the corporate level.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Ben Roberts said:

And therein lies my second objection to COOL. I know dozens of Montana/Dakota cattle producers that send their calves to Canada for grass in the summer, then finish and slaughter them in the US.

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban.
Under the current rule it would be and should be labeled Product of Canada or Product of Mixed Origin-- as it was not born, raised, and slaughtered in the US...It could have got exposed to some of those dangerous Canuck chemicals that Kathy keeps telling us about....

You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada.
Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

And who the HE!! are you to think you should tell a foreign country how to market the product once its in their own country :???: Thats where a big part of the burn is about imports-- all these treaties and and little papers arrogant Presidents keep signing that continues to give away our sovereignty-- and all these countries/foreigners and illegal immigrants that then come along and scream about their "rights" so the can shirttail on the US economic system.... :roll: :( :mad: :mad:

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Ben Roberts said:

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban. You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada. Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

Rod

There is a category for that. I'm thinking it is called "mixed"?

Latest posts