• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Best place to ranch?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Zilly said:
gcreekrch said:
I can't get the link to work but here is the listing # and realtor.
#12314 Landquest Realty

I did a search of Landquest's offerings and I didn't find a ranch to buy. But I did find Selkirk Wilderness Skiing. Hopefully it sells and remains open so I can one day contribute to the B.C. economy. Amazing what you find when you're not looking for it!

I found it on page 3, I think. You better buy this one. I think you would fit right in up there.

Big Muddy rancher said:
redrobin said:
hayguy said:
lot's of great places but there are none any better than the foothills south and west of calgary
So I hear. I also hear the pampas of south america are equally productive. From a productivity and cost effective standpoint, central southern missouri is hard to beat.

I'd have to see that to believe it. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which part? The pampas or missouri?

redrobin said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
redrobin said:
So I hear. I also hear the pampas of south america are equally productive. From a productivity and cost effective standpoint, central southern missouri is hard to beat.

Well my mother always said I was from Missouri. :D :D

Show me. :D :D

Missouri isn't too bad, quite a bit of grass and the opportunity to grass 300+ days a year in the good times, also several different livestock markets many within 60 miles.

Big Muddy rancher said:
redrobin said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Well my mother always said I was from Missouri. :D :D

Show me. :D :D
I guess compared to here it's cheap. It's all deeded with no crown ground or blm. You can find nice ranches of pretty good size (400 head deals) for around 5000 (conservatively) per a.u. and not much of a winter feed bill, if any. Some of it would even raise some feed if you were so inclined. Most of them have some source of live water. Trucking to market is close and cheap. Trips to town aren't bad either. You would have some pasture spraying or bushogging and fertilization or rotational grazing that isn't required in dryer climates but it's not bad. You don't have to wear coveralls 9 mos out of the year either. :lol:

Greenswede said:
hayguy said:
lot's of great places but there are none any better than the foothills south and west of calgary

Why? What's the climate like? Rainfall? Tell me more.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nothing more needs to be said about that. You better have several million to even consider that area, and if you have that much, why bother ranching.

Rainfall isn't that great really, and if you like at least a week or more of 40 to 50C below in the winter and average about 18C in the summers and if you enjoy snow in all 4 seasons this place would be for you.

So I have been thinking of what makes a place perfect for ranching???

Is cost of production the most important thing?

The scenery?

Year round grazing?

Heat?
Cold?

Proximity to amenities?
-international airport
-theater
-symphony
-shopping

People density?

Labor?

Is the perfect place just a matter of what opportunity presents itself?

burnt said:
per said:
People density?

i don't know if there's much difference in that category, per.

I find there are some pretty dense people no matter where you go . . .

:wink:
There is a self appointed comedian in every community. :wink: :wink: :roll: :) :D

per said:
burnt said:
per said:
People density?

i don't know if there's much difference in that category, per.

I find there are some pretty dense people no matter where you go . . .

:wink:
There is a self appointed comedian in every community. :wink: :wink: :roll: :) :D

It's like the village idiot in a small town around here. :D

We all take turns. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kinda like right where we are at. It sure isnt perfect for most folks, too dry most years and too cold and snowy some winters. But it's in my blood and someday i'll be planted under the sage and granite ledges. I really like the fact we are remote and people are scattered. Probably the only thing that would make me want to move would be if folks start crowding me. I don't play well with others. :D The sandhills are cattle paradise as is that Montana and Alberta country. Texas is, well, Texas of course and has lots of cow country. I guess the only thing more adaptive than a bovine is a bovine owner. We are scattered from heck to breakfast and seem to do o.k. where ever we are found.

Good morning Gang, thought I'd chime in here while I've got a morning off - kind of - siince we're snowed in in southern Saskatchewan. I think everyone's ideal location is different for everyone, much like what is your ideal breed of this species or that, ideal truck, ideal wife, which I dare not get into on a sunday. lol

For someone who wants to run several hundred head in a traditional ranching fashion and just sell weaned calves or grass yearlings, you would want to prioritize water, affordable land in one block, and accessibility to markets. For us, we direct market everything and have little use - literally and metaphorically - for the conventional markets. So my priorities would be water, access to health conscious consumers willing to support their local farmers, and very important would be well balanced topsoil. I have tried to grow high brix forage in snady soils for the past 10 years and have come to the conclusion that I could spend a fortune on soil amendments, mob graze, bale graze, holistic graze and do whatever else I want to it, at the end of the day, it takes a long time to improve the productivity of blow sand that started with a pH of 5 and organic matter below 1%.

So, if I'm going to relocate, I'll be doing ALOT of research into areas with mineral rich soils, such as the BC or Alberta sides of the Rocky Mountains, northern Alberta, northern Saskatchewan, etc. Myself I could live in the boonies on a quarter section, but I'm not sure the wife wants to be too remote.

But like I said, it's different for everyone. Have a great day all,
Darcy

SO PC you haven't fallen in love with the bald prairies yet? :D

How far along are on you pipeline? The section directly north of us was finished up before Christmas. The next section to the east I heard wasn't to be built until next summer. :?

If you are connecting to the line east of Assiniboia you are less then 90 miles from here. Drop on down for a visit. :D

I think one of the most important things you can do to improve your odds of success is to live in an area with good moisture and soil. Of course that usually comes at a higher cost. Our place is on the north edge of the sandhills with better soil on the north end. The heavier soil is so much more productive than our sand there's no comparison. Luckily we can irrigate our sandy soil and with fertilizer can raise a lot of grain and feed. Living in an area that doesn't get buried in snow that allows winter grazing ranks right up at the top too.

VB RANCH said:
some history of Big Muddy http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtscdgs/outlaws.html

I have read that one before. In it it mentions a John A. Davis, it was his ranch that Tam grew up on. The Mckell ranch is right to the east of us. Carlyle Coulee on the Marshall ranch to the south of us is where Carlyle was shot after he got drunk and didn't blow up a bridge to stop a train. The Huntleys live in this yard and boarded the Mounties the first summer they were patrolling the Big Muddy and before they built a barracks on the Marshall ranch, Jasper Huntley was also the running iron expert for changing brands on the horses.
Tam has wrote a book about the area and has a gallery/museum in the yard and can tell a hour long story on the history of the area. We are also on the Willow Bunch to Big Muddy trail that Sitting Bull followed when he surrendered to the US troops at Plentywood.

Latest posts