• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull vs. Dogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Breeder said:
Don't get me wrong, We have a 3 year old Choclate Lab and love her dearly, however she has the ability to retreive bred into her not the ability or fondness to kill. That being said if she ever acted aggresively towards children I would put her down in the blink of an eye as hard as that is to say! There is just an erie feeling of helplesness when you are being chased across your own yard!!!!! Hope nothing ever happens but be prepared for if and when it happens. The neighbor lives about 200 yards from us. Crossing my fingers that she cannot afford them anymore or they decide to play on the road one day. Easier to explain a run over dog than anything else. I don't want to sound like a bad neighbor but there are some things that just push the line. Side note: She refuses to pen them up and the county has no leash law or viscious dog laws. Any thoughts on how to best handle the problem.
The answer as to how to handle your problem (and believe me my friend - you have a PROBLEM! whether you are willing to accept that fact or not - -YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!) - that answer has been revealed to you - in spades - in several posts on this Forum! I am wondering if your little child (or children as the case will probably be someday) will or would be able to "outrun the dogs" chasing them back home "across their OWN yard??" HELLO out there?! Are you getting the message?? Or are you going to have to spend several months or years in a rehabilitation hospital - or a mortuary - before you say, "Why didn't someone TELL me?" - "She REFUSES to pen them up!!" Cut me some slack, Daddy! Wake up before you have to attend a Memorial Service for your Babies. Crossing your fingers won't cut it! A healthy seasoning of Strychnine carefully mixed into (3) count 'em (3) beautiful, lucious pounds of Hamburger and discreetly presented to the subjects of this post - - - - - :eek: - - - - - CASE CLOSED!

DOC HARRIS

Now Doc Harris I agree :clap: :clap: :clap: and who ever does'nt is a :dunce:

This is how stray dogs are dealt with at our place! :shock:

Except that this is not a stray dog. 8) But it sure is a good little donkey. She was only three months old when her dog skills kicked in.

RunZelda.jpg

I am convinced that many of our friends on this post do not understand the significance of "PIT BULL" dogs! :shock:

Three Pit Bull dogs could make mince meat/bone meal Mush out of :
1) Donkeys
2) Llamas
3) Coyotes
4) Wolves
5) Guinea foul
6) Doberman Pincer
7) German Shepherd
8) Mule
9) Stallion
10) Enraged Mother (any species)
11) Children (ANY AGE!)
12) Adult Human (ANY AGE)
13) Illegal Immigrants
14) Liberal Left-Wing Politicians
15) YOU NAME THEM!

They possess HIGH kill EPD's, Folks. :twisted: Need I say MORE??

DOC HARRIS

Over the years I have had to deal with several dogs. If possible I give the owners a warning - - - note I said a (as in one ) warning.

You would be suprised how many of them react.

In 1996 I bought a 5 acre mini ranch at Fort Drum Florida for my mother and step father. My daughter was visiting and the neighbor had several girls her age so they would play toghther. One of thier dogs was a doberman mix and it chased my daughter home and bit her. We discussed it with the family but they would not believe it. Later the dog attacked my step father on his own porch and got a lethal dose of lead.

They called the sheriff who sided with my parents but the neighbors have been very vindictive.

I raise german shepards and I would hate it if one was shot but if it was causing problems I would need to handle the problem myself.

If you catch them over a fresh dead calf or a bloody one still alive, and then go running towards home,that was their warning. Once they get home they are innocent creatures, just ask their owners.
If you run them off the first time they kill, they will get sneakier but they will be back. I went through this.

I agree pit bulls are in a class by themselves. They are not normal dogs. The usual rules don't apply to them when they turn on the aggression.

Their owners are also the last to see it. We've seen lots of them at the vet clinic, and most are good, which is a good thing, because if the owner left his dog with us, and it decided to be nasty, there would not be much we could do. They are too strong to argue with. And too persistent to quit once they start. The fight will only end one way.

I think sometimes you should be a little bit careful about whose dog you shoot and keep an eye on his owner if you do shoot one. A few years ago near rapid city there were two fellows in a house and one of them had a dog. I don't remember the details of what the dog did but one of them picked up a gun and shot the dog and killed him. The dogs owner got the gun away from him and shot the guy that shot his dog and killed him. The cops were called and when they arrived the fellow who shot the guy who shot his dog came out of the house with the gun in his hand, was told to drop it, he didn't and the cops shot him and killed him. That was the end of that. There was another fellow in the house I used to know. He was a pretty easy goin harmless sort of person. I'm bettin when the shootin started he crawled under the bed and when he came out he had his hands in the air and was hollerin don't shoot! I haven't seen him or talked to him but my brother did about a year ago and he was telling about it.

Tumbleweed said:
I think sometimes you should be a little bit careful about whose dog you shoot and keep an eye on his owner if you do shoot one. A few years ago near rapid city there were two fellows in a house and one of them had a dog. I don't remember the details of what the dog did but one of them picked up a gun and shot the dog and killed him. The dogs owner got the gun away from him and shot the guy that shot his dog and killed him. The cops were called and when they arrived the fellow who shot the guy who shot his dog came out of the house with the gun in his hand, was told to drop it, he didn't and the cops shot him and killed him. That was the end of that. There was another fellow in the house I used to know. He was a pretty easy goin harmless sort of person. I'm bettin when the shootin started he crawled under the bed and when he came out he had his hands in the air and was hollerin don't shoot! I haven't seen him or talked to him but my brother did about a year ago and he was telling about it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say don't shoot first and ask questions later.

Pit bulls or any other aggresive or mean acting dog needs to be dealt with. If anything chased me across my yard, I would have to retaliate. But it might not be with bullets. I think Doc's idea about the poison with hamburger is a hell of a good idea, tho' I blame the people who raise and keep worthless mutts, no matter what the breeding, more than the dogs.

Having a good neighbor is worth a lot and killing what they think of as a pet, without warning or talk, before hand, probably isn't very neighborly.

Sorry about where you live and the jerks who live around you Denny. I see your side now, but you made it sound as if anything that comes on your place is fair game.

Say, didn't you have a bunch of neighbors help you out with some haying, or something or do I have you confused with someone else who posts here?

My cowdogs are just that and if they are causing harm, I want to know. 'Course it helps that they are very seldom out of my sight. But if they are a problem, I don't want a neighbor to have to deal with it, I will do it my ownself! :mad: And then find a new dog. I've done it in the past. It ain't too hard! :lol:

And I sure won't go out of my way to make a neighbor mad. If that is old fashioned then I guess I am proud to be old fasioned.

We don't have problems with neighbors dogs, tho' the GF&P's pets are somewhat of a bother at times. I deal with them the same way. :wink:

mp.freelance said:
Hey Doc - How about a gorilla with laser beams shooting out of its eyeballs?
Upon careful cogitation I have concluded that it would depend entirely upon the caliber of the laser beams, and the intensity of the bio-electron amperage generated by the voltage ethereally emanated via the gaseous isotope diffracting proportionally DIRECTLY into the axones and dendrites of the intended canines by the gorilla thereby activating photodisintegration and nucleization of the dogs' fissionable critical masses. Assuming that the monkey's eyeballs remained intact, one could say with probable particularity that the "Pits" were the "Pits"!

DOC HARRIS

Jinglebob said:
Tumbleweed said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say don't shoot first and ask questions later.

Pit bulls or any other aggresive or mean acting dog needs to be dealt with. If anything chased me across my yard, I would have to retaliate. But it might not be with bullets. I think Doc's idea about the poison with hamburger is a hell of a good idea, tho' I blame the people who raise and keep worthless mutts, no matter what the breeding, more than the dogs.

Having a good neighbor is worth a lot and killing what they think of as a pet, without warning or talk, before hand, probably isn't very neighborly.

Sorry about where you live and the jerks who live around you Denny. I see your side now, but you made it sound as if anything that comes on your place is fair game.

Say, didn't you have a bunch of neighbors help you out with some haying, or something or do I have you confused with someone else who posts here?

Yes my fellow rancher's helped finish my haying and hauling of it.

These are the same people who are resposible with there dogs.

The problem dogs generally come from these Minneapolis /St.Paul transplants.Usally I send the dog home with a whippen with a sorting stick if they come back well...

In our area there are lots of people hence lots of dog running wild someone has to thin them out but when it happens its done neatly and discreatly...It's not an honor to kill these dogs but it has to be done...

Denny said:
The problem dogs generally come from these Minneapolis /St.Paul transplants.Usally I send the dog home with a whippen with a sorting stick if they come back well...

In our area there are lots of people hence lots of dog running wild someone has to thin them out but when it happens its done neatly and discreatly...It's not an honor to kill these dogs but it has to be done...

Yup, now thats the kind of logic I can understnd and agree with. OK, maybe I do wish you were my neighbor! :lol:

If you don't feel comfortable toting a gun around while gardening, what about bear spray? Just make sure it won't blow back towards you!

The barber that cuts my hair said when he was a young guy a big neighborhood dog would use their yard to dump his loads. One time he and his brother caught him, scratched his bung hole with a wire brush, poured turpentine on it then turned him loose :shock:. Said that dog went yippin all the way down the street and never came back. Don't think that would be a good thing to try on a pit bull though, might trigger an attack :!: .

Latest posts