• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bundy Ranch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven said:
rem_243 said:
Faster horses said:
No, Forest Service Rangers are not law enforcement. Neither are BLM Personnel.

In the Forest Service there are Rangers and there are Officers.

Officers are the actual law enforcement for the forest. They are basically the forest cops.

Rangers are the people who take groups on hikes and do all of the traditional park ranger duties.

USFS Ranger positions are usually college students are usually seasonal and have no law enforcement duties.

In the West, we understand these things. :wink:
FH you are incorrect about Forest Service Rangers. The Forest Service is comprised of several regions. Each region is comprised of forests and or grasslands. Each forest or grassland is comprised of districts. The head of a district is a Ranger. Rangers are permanent full time positions and they are the decision makers for the districts, not a summer tour guide. The west doesn't understand everything :wink:

Double SMACK!!!

guess you didn't really know the answer cause you had to let others answer.

Don't you get after Hopalong for these kind of trolling antics? :roll:

Well we can argue over jurisdiction and all but the bottom line is there is no reason for the Feds to come in with helicopters, SWAT teams, snipers and backhoes in order to remove these cattle. They could have went in with a few people and gathered these cattle up over a period of a few months on horseback and accomplished their court order. Instead they have to make this big grandios power play showing how mighty they are.

So why would they feel the need to use overwhelming force in this situation. I say it is probably sending a message to anyone else resisting and also to use it for political leverage back on the coasts to show the city folks how we are all just a bunch of unsophisticated, right wing, anti govt, anti environment, tea party types that must be crushed by any means. The progressive bloggers will eat this up and it will give them justification and proof of their mission and that is an all powerfull federal govt. It fits their narrative for the next round of elections and it is fodder to push their agenda.

I say that we need to play their game too. The rest of us need to use this a tool to educate those who are wiling to listen about property rights, and grazing rights and how the federal govt agencies have aligned with environmental groups and are using the endangered species act to force people off the land and deprive them of their rights through fraud, extortion, mail fraud and racketeering. I am not saying they have in this case but there is a history of it out there and it needs to get more publicity.

One such case was proven recently.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/15602-federal-judge-rules-for-property-rights-smacks-down-abusive-feds

An excerpt from the article: "Judge Jones said he found that "the government and the agents of the government in that locale, sometime in the '70s and '80s, entered into a conspiracy, a literal, intentional conspiracy, to deprive the Hages of not only their permit grazing rights, for whatever reason, but also to deprive them of their vested property rights under the takings clause, and I find that that's a sufficient basis to hold that there is irreparable harm if I don't … restrain the government from continuing in that conduct."

In fact, Judge Jones accused the federal bureaucrats of racketeering under the federal RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corruption Organizations) statute, and accused them as well of extortion, mail fraud, and fraud, in an effort "to kill the business of Mr. Hage"

Big Muddy rancher said:
kolanuraven said:
rem_243 said:
FH you are incorrect about Forest Service Rangers. The Forest Service is comprised of several regions. Each region is comprised of forests and or grasslands. Each forest or grassland is comprised of districts. The head of a district is a Ranger. Rangers are permanent full time positions and they are the decision makers for the districts, not a summer tour guide. The west doesn't understand everything :wink:

Double SMACK!!!

The answer seemed so obvious and I made the mistake thinking that most people knew that information..... because" In the West, we understand these things". That is a GREAT line, thanks FH, I gotta write that one down!!

Hopalong is too chicken shite to follow his own shadow, but you are right...he is truly a troll!!!
:wink:

kolanuraven said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
kolanuraven said:
Double SMACK!!!

The answer seemed so obvious and I made the mistake thinking that most people knew that information..... because" In the West, we understand these things". That is a GREAT line, thanks FH, I gotta write that one down!!

Hopalong is too chicken shite to follow his own shadow, but you are right...he is truly a troll!!!
:wink:

I'm so glad that I made your day! I'm sure you will find future opportunities
to wisely remind me of what I said. :) In fact, I expect it. :)

I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong. We do that in the west, ya know. :)

I stand corrected. Long ago, when we were around forest service and forest rangers, they were not law enforcement. The Game Wardens were and they took care of enforcing the law. My mistake. I need to keep up. I did check it before I posted it, but the information I got was incorrect. There, you can make an issue out of that, too, sweetie. :)

In the meantime, lets get back to the subject at hand. I talked to
a person who is the grass manager on a forest permit. What he said that
he deemed very important, is the forest service is PUBLIC LAND. The permittees do not own the land, the public does. The public, of course with environmental activists pointing it out, were concerned about the tortoise.

Leanin' H is right, there is more sympathy to wildlife species than there is toward ranchers or cattle, sad to say.

The man I spoke with said this matter has gone to court and Mr. Bundy was to remove his cattle. He didn't so they are in the process of a roundup. He didn't know about running the cattle to death with helicoptors. :cry:

I'm not saying who is right or wrong; this was just the take on it from a government employee. I think the whole thing is more than unfortunate and of course, I tend to side with the rancher.

The plot is not as transparent as one might think.

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-sen-harry-reid-behind-blm-land-grab-of-bundy-ranch/

per said:
The plot is not as transparent as one might think.

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-sen-harry-reid-behind-blm-land-grab-of-bundy-ranch/

My God.

It's about time some bastards got hung....this is wrong on so many levels, and my guess is that OT's colleague in the Clark county Sheriff's Office done got his payola and is content to let it happen.

Thought I would share our State Cattlemen's Association's statement on this situation. There are many unanswered questions but I have very little doubt that the way the BLM is handling this wrong. Their response with what amounts to riot police is way out of line. Add in the political angles and all the emotions from the rancher and his supporters and you have the perfect storm. I hope none of you are naïve enough to think the endangered species act is stopped by the fence line around your private land. When radical environmental groups can basically write the agenda for the BLM and Forest Service, using the ESA as a weapon, of course public land users will keep suffering. (Logging, mining, off-roading and ranching) While Mr. Bundy isn't perfect, this entire fiasco was started by the over-reach of the federal government backed and supported by radical anti-ranching groups in the federal agencies pockets! Turtles and wolves and grizzlies and mustangs are all merely chess pieces in a game that has a goal of ending public land ranching. When they accomplish that goal, private land will be next. Unless you play by the rules as dictated by the money pulling the strings!

The Utah Cattlemen's Association (UCA) recognizes that the issues surrounding cattle removal in Clark County, Nevada are complex and have been contentious for many years and involves several issues.
1. The root of the current controversy goes back to the action taken by the federal land management agencies when they used the Endangered Species Act as a reason to reduce grazing and remove cattle from the grazing allotment, giving land management preference to the tortoise over the permitted grazing use. The Utah Cattlemen's Association opposes the Endangered Species Act as it is now written and enforced and supports the action in the US Congress to amend the Act.
2. The Utah Cattlemen's Association recognizes county ordinances, state laws, and federal laws. We support the concept that the government closest to the people is a government that is heard and ran by the people. We oppose the federal government from taking any action of usurpation of any state or county sovereign rights within the local government boundaries.
3. The Utah Cattlemen's Association supports the mandate in the Federal Land Policy Management Act (FLPMA) that requires the Secretary of Interior to coordinate all law enforcement through local sheriff departments.
4. The Utah Cattlemen's Association opposes both voluntary relinquishment and conservation retirement of grazing allotments or AUM's. UCA encourages county and state governments, as well as the BLM, to keep grazing allotments and animal grazing AUM's in beneficial use by bona fide livestock operators as outlined in the Taylor Grazing Act.
5. The Utah Cattlemen's Association supports the full implementation of the Transfer of Public Lands Act in the State of Utah in order to protect the state's cultural and economic vitality. The transfer of management will preserve the important historical and cultural contributions that our public lands provide to the state of Utah, the nation, and the world.
6. The Utah Cattlemen's Association is opposed to the removal or reduction of livestock from rangelands as an option or tool to mitigate impacts of other uses. We support the concept of multiple use of public land and request that one use of the lands not be given preference over other permitted uses.
7. The Utah Cattlemen's Association recognizes Utah law that says no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property, without the due process of law. We support responsible law enforcement which protects the individual citizen and private property rights, under the Constitution.
8. The Utah Cattlemen's Association recognizes the private property rights of ownership of cattle. We require that any agency involved in this process, recognize and respect those private property rights.
9. The Utah Cattlemen's Association has met with and requested to state government and federal agencies that the cattle in question not be transported across state lines. In the event that the cattle are transported, we demand that all legal requirements for transportation, brand inspection, and animal health and welfare be observed. The task of ensuring compliance falls under the responsibilities of the states involved and the requirements must be met by the BLM.
10. The Utah Cattlemen's Association recognizes that this issue has generated a great amount of emotion and discussion on other issues such as the over-population of wild horses and burros on public as well as private lands. We support the action taken by several county commissions in Utah to address the wild horse issue, and demand that the BLM work with the local county commissioners to address the federal government's obligation to manage the wild horses and burros at the levels established in the management plans.
11. The Utah Cattlemen's Association has met, and continues to meet with the BLM, the State of Utah, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, Utah Attorney General's Office, the Utah Congressional Delegation and any other agency or avenue that we can to resolve these conflicts.

The Utah Cattlemen's Association is a membership organization that works to represent our association members' issues in the legislative and regulatory arena, provide educational information and assist with industry networking opportunities.

The jack booted thugs doing this, and their leaders, are making the Mafia look like a bunch of Sunday School teachers.

I did a little more digging and found that the first BLM rangers were hired in 1976- apparently after passage of the The Federal Land Policy and Management Act, or FLPMA that authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to contract with local law enforcement or hire their own law enforcement...The Act was signed by the President Ford on October 21, 1976, and became Public Law 94-579, 90 Stat. 2743. While the first Rangers were hired for California in 1976 it appears they did not receive full federal law enforcement authority until 1978...

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/history/sidebars/law_enforcement.html

The Federal Land Policy and Management Act, or FLPMA (Pub.L. 94–579), is a United States federal law that governs the way in which the public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management are managed. The law was enacted in 1976 by the 94th Congress and is found in the United States Code under Title 43.

(c) (1) When the Secretary determines that assistance is necessary in enforcing Federal laws and regulations relating to the public lands or their resources he shall offer a contract to appropriate local officials having law enforcement authority within their respective jurisdictions with the view of achieving maximum feasible reliance upon local law enforcement officials in enforcing such laws and regulations. The Secretary shall negotiate on reasonable terms with such officials who have authority to enter into such contracts to enforce such Federal laws and regulations. In the performance of their duties under such contracts such officials and their agents are authorized to carry firearms; execute and serve any warrant or other process issued by a court or officer of competent jurisdiction; make arrests without warrant or process for a misdemeanor he has reasonable grounds to believe is being committed in his presence or view, or for a felony if he has reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing such felony; search without warrant or process any person, place, or conveyance according to any Federal law or rule of law; and seize without warrant or process any evidentiary item as provided by Federal law. The Secretary shall provide such law enforcement training as he deems necessary in order to carry out the contracted for responsibilities. While exercising the powers and authorities provided by such contract pursuant to this section, such law enforcement officials and their agents shall have all the immunities of Federal law enforcement officials.
(2) The Secretary may authorize Federal personnel or appropriate local officials to carry out his law enforcement responsibilities with respect to the public lands and their resources.
Public Law 94–579—Oct. 21, 1976, as amended through May 7, 2001 ———— 23
Such designated personnel shall receive the training and have the responsibilities and authority provided for in paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(d) In connection with the administration and regulation of the use and occupancy of the public lands, the Secretary is authorized to cooperate with the regulatory and law enforcement officials of any State or political subdivision thereof in the enforcement of the laws or ordinances of such State or subdivision. Such cooperation may include reimbursement to a State or its subdivision for expenditures incurred by it in connection with activities which assist in the administration and regulation of use and occupancy of the public lands.
(e) Nothing in this section shall prevent the Secretary from promptly establishing a uniformed desert ranger force in the California Desert Conservation Area established pursuant to section 601 of this Act for the purpose of enforcing Federal laws and regulations relating to the public lands and resources managed by him in such area. The officers and members of such ranger force shall have the same responsibilities and authority as provided for in paragraph (1) of subsection (c) of this section.
(f) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as reducing or limiting the enforcement authority vested in the Secretary by any other statute.

http://www.blm.gov/flpma/FLPMA.pdf

Interesting- the choice is given to the Interior Secretary to contract with local law enforcement agencies or hire their own... Like any good bureaucrat given a choice to build upon their empire - guess what they did :???:

And I find it interesting- what some are calling a mandate in the FLPMA actually says "The Secretary is authorized to"... Sounds like it was left open to the discretion of the Secretary if he works with local regulatory and law enforcement officials and definitely doesn't say he has to as being put out by some folks and groups....

Oldtimer said:
And I find it interesting- what some are calling a mandate in the FLPMA actually says "The Secretary is authorized to"... Sounds like it was left open to the discretion of the Secretary if he works with local regulatory and law enforcement officials and definitely doesn't say he has to as being put out by some folks and groups....

I wonder if there previous law that requires them to coordinate with local law? Would take a lot more digging into the law to find out.

The Congress shall have Power To ...exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States....
Article I, Section 8, Clause 17

Cedarcreek said:
Oldtimer said:

I wonder if there previous law that requires them to coordinate with local law? Would take a lot more digging into the law to find out.

Well if there is we sure didn't find them... Back in the 90's when some were losing their grazing rights to the CMR expansion- about every legal beagle in the state looked into it and could find nothing... We had some of the top private and state attorneys and Judges researching- and they couldn't find anything... The rumor mill had all kinds of "urban legends" floating around- but no one was ever able to come up with anything spelled out in black and white.... This was also during a time when some authorities in the State were upset about the US Marshals dumping relocated "witness protection" subjects in their counties without anyone knowing about it....

This brought on the push to pass a State Law requiring that Federal authorities must coordinate or notify the Sheriff before any action within their county- and that is when we were told it would be tossed out the first time as unconstitutional the minute it was enacted under the Supremacy Clause...

Article VI, Clause 2
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution, known as the Supremacy Clause, establishes the U.S. Constitution, Federal Statutes, and U.S. Treaties as "the supreme law of the land." The text decrees these to be the highest form of law in the U.S. legal system, and mandates that all state judges must follow federal law when a conflict arises between federal law and either the state constitution or state law of any state. (Note that the word "shall" is used, which makes it a necessity, a compulsion.)

The "supremacy clause" is the most important guarantor of national union. It assures that the Constitution and federal laws and treaties take precedence over state law and binds all judges to adhere to that principle in their courts. - United States Senate

The last time they tried to run this thru the legislature was in 2011 (Senate Bill 114) - but got nowhere mainly again because its unconstitutional...

So when this ADMINISTRATIVE branch of government brings in MWRAPS, and heavy weapons - then what?

Because I am betting they are either on the way or there now.

People of the US of A have let the feds become their masters in more ways than one.

I am sure we are not far behind

bc

REAL story is how one old rancher demonstrates more intestinal fortitude than ALL elected representatives put together. One old rancher does more to stand up to government aggression than all the lawyers ever born.

Go Cliven

found this online...

Written By Kena Lytle Gloeckner

There have been a lot of people criticizing Clive Bundy because he did not pay his grazing fees for 20 years. The public is also probably wondering why so many other cowboys are supporting Mr. Bundy even though they paid their fees and Clive did not. What you people probably do not realize is that on every rancher's grazing permit it says the following: "You are authorized to make grazing use of the lands, under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and covered by this grazing permit, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this grazing permit and payment of grazing fees when due." The "mandatory" terms and conditions go on to list the allotment, the number and kind of livestock to be grazed, when the permit begins and ends, the number of active or suspended AUMs (animal units per month), etc. The terms and conditions also list specific requirements such as where salt or mineral supplements can be located, maximum allowable use of forage levels (40% of annual growth), etc., and include a lot more stringent policies that must be adhered to. Every rancher must sign this "contract" agreeing to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS before he or she can make payment. In the early 90s, the BLM went on a frenzy and drastically cut almost every rancher's permit because of this desert tortoise issue, even though all of us ranchers knew that cow and desert tortoise had co-existed for a hundred+ years. As an example, a family friend had his permit cut by 90%. For those of you who are non ranchers, that would be equated to getting your paycheck cut 90%. In 1976 there were approximately 52 ranching permittees in this area of Nevada. Presently, there are 3. Most of these people lost their livelihoods because of the actions of the BLM. Clive Bundy was one of these people who received extremely unfair and unreasonable TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Keep in mind that Mr. Bundy was required to sign this contract before he was allowed to pay. Had Clive signed on the dotted line, he would have, in essence, signed his very livelihood away. And so Mr. Bundy took a stand, not only for himself, but for all of us. He refused to be destroyed by a tyrannical federal entity and to have his American liberties and freedoms taken away. Also keep in mind that all ranchers financially paid dearly for the forage rights those permits allow - - not rights to the land, but rights to use the forage that grows on that land. Many of these AUMS are water based, meaning that the rancher also has a vested right (state owned, not federal) to the waters that adjoin the lands and allow the livestock to drink. These water rights were also purchased at a great price. If a rancher cannot show beneficial use of the water (he must have the appropriate number of livestock that drinks and uses that water), then he loses that water right. Usually water rights and forage rights go hand in hand. Contrary to what the BLM is telling you, they NEVER compensate a rancher for the AUMs they take away. Most times, they tell ranchers that their AUMS are "suspended," but not removed. Unfortunately, my family has thousands of "suspended" AUMs that will probably never be returned. And so, even though these ranchers throughout the course of a hundred years invested thousands(and perhaps millions) of dollars and sacrificed along the way to obtain these rights through purchase from others, at a whim the government can take everything away with the stroke of a pen. This is the very thing that Clive Bundy singlehandedly took a stand against. Thank you, Clive, from a rancher who considers you a hero.

Written By Kena Lytle Gloeckner

Latest posts