• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The guys that sold the seed corn-their cows- to switch to an all yearling program are experiencing advanced bunghole puckeritus lately. I went and inspected a few hundred grass steers the other day-he asked me what I thought he chances were-I said the cattle are right to gain and you know what your doing after that ????. The forward contract getting offered on 9 weight steers $1.20 is a bit weak considering the fat cattle futures I think. The most successful multigenerational ranches in our country are cow/yearling outfits-they used the yearlings as a relief valve-if the spring is dry they sell yearlings early or go to feedlot with them. They never sell off the base cowherds completely. Straight yearlings can be good money but it's not for the faint of heart and your stockmanship and herd health skills have to be the best. Hearing alot of stories about guys with alot of grass to use but are froze at the sale ring-it's daunting to pay these prices for sure especially on a steer-they can't be made into a cow and amortized out like good heifers can. We live in interesting times!

Even though I love the marekt report you all get and I know most of the real ranchers have a much better marketing program. I just wanted to add the local sale barns here are getting some of those price just a handful to make the market report. Its 20 cents less here. Even though these cattle are resold in OKC or Joplin at those prices.
A good order buyers do come IF they can get several pots of simular weights and sexes of calves.
How about wheat pasture cattle??

Big Muddy Rancher you have a real dilemma, probably a tax problem is your biggest!! You could've sold like i did in the fall [ cause i thought it would be nice to have some carry over hay again, it's been awhile. Then i'm finding out that i could have bought 4 times of what i have got left over with the profits of keeping calves.] So if you need any advice from me of what to do, let me know. I'm obviously not making the right decisions at home, but maybe you will give me a cut, if i help with your dilemma!!

turkey track said:
Big Muddy Rancher you have a real dilemma, probably a tax problem is your biggest!! You could've sold like i did in the fall [ cause i thought it would be nice to have some carry over hay again, it's been awhile. Then i'm finding out that i could have bought 4 times of what i have got left over with the profits of keeping calves.] So if you need any advice from me of what to do, let me know. I'm obviously not making the right decisions at home, but maybe you will give me a cut, if i help with your dilemma!!

You could be the ideal "Consultant" :wink:

Never make the right decision at home but get paid for making someone else's decisions. :D

How do I get a job like that? :?

I was thinking the same way. I was going to sell a load of strs to help stock pile some hay and cut back on the work load some but hated to change my plan as even a broke watch is right twice a day.

I guess last fall after eating bread and water for so long a piece of cheese on the cracker looked pretty tempting. :)

Northern Rancher said:
The guys that sold the seed corn-their cows- to switch to an all yearling program are experiencing advanced bunghole puckeritus lately. I went and inspected a few hundred grass steers the other day-he asked me what I thought he chances were-I said the cattle are right to gain and you know what your doing after that ????. The forward contract getting offered on 9 weight steers $1.20 is a bit weak considering the fat cattle futures I think. The most successful multigenerational ranches in our country are cow/yearling outfits-they used the yearlings as a relief valve-if the spring is dry they sell yearlings early or go to feedlot with them. They never sell off the base cowherds completely. Straight yearlings can be good money but it's not for the faint of heart and your stockmanship and herd health skills have to be the best. Hearing alot of stories about guys with alot of grass to use but are froze at the sale ring-it's daunting to pay these prices for sure especially on a steer-they can't be made into a cow and amortized out like good heifers can. We live in interesting times!
The most successful ranches around here run gas/oil wells on their lease land and cross them with hereford cows. And yes I'm jealous. :D :D

The grain markets have nosedived for the last week, I can't help but think the cattle market is in for a correction too. There are so many variables to marketing any more since a problem anywhere in the world affects everything we have to sell.

I sold some corn at the high, wish I had sold more.

Big Muddy rancher said:
turkey track said:

You could be the ideal "Consultant" :wink:

Never make the right decision at home but get paid for making someone else's decisions. :D

How do I get a job like that? :?

I was thinking the same way. I was going to sell a load of strs to help stock pile some hay and cut back on the work load some but hated to change my plan as even a broke watch is right twice a day.

I guess last fall after eating bread and water for so long a piece of cheese on the cracker looked pretty tempting. :)

I got thinking about it and you probably wouldn't make a very good consultant cause you have been on your place to long. :D

You need to go broke in three or four different parts of the country before you have real expensive advice to sell. :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy Rancher i'm starting to get nervous, i hope i don't owe you something for that advice.

What's your yard like for getting a semi in when it's thawing like this, hear i would have to wait.

turkey track said:
Big Muddy Rancher i'm starting to get nervous, i hope i don't owe you something for that advice.

What's your yard like for getting a semi in when it's thawing like this, hear i would have to wait.

Our yard is pretty good, Lane comes and goes with his truck quite often. He was out of here at 3am for a load of mud/ dirt for the disposal site and I had a load of pellets come in on Monday evening.

We don't have that rich black dirt like you have up there. :wink: :D :D

Ya your painting a pretty picture, i call it gumbo, and when ya get in the hay flats there is that white stuff that only foxtail likes to grow. I like your picture better, just like your place their's nothing like home. Looking forward to green grass and full water holes.

MARCH 29, 2011

MARKET REPORT AND ANALYSIS

Cash trade in Nebraska at $196 in the beef sent optimism into futures and raised asking prices across all regions. Cash prices were $10 higher than the bulk of last week's trade and $5 higher than late week. Frustrated packers complained of changing asking prices but complaints fell on deaf ears. Show lists were mixed with more cattle on offer in the north and less offered in the south. The north may lose recent premiums this week as prices are established. Cattle are priced mostly at $122.

Box prices inched higher in early week trading. The choice cuts were quoted at $186 with select at $185. Export demand is keeping a floor under the beef market.

The feeder market moved higher in most auction sales across the country. Dry weather in the southern plains is still plaguing the area but short supplies of calves is keeping stocker prices high. Movement of feeder cattle off wheat fields is concluding and few will remain for graze out. Current prices for 750# steers on the southern plains are $132.

Corn prices fell on Monday as traders fade the long side of the grain markets. Corn is being offered currently at 20 cents over May corn. Corn is now pricing into most rations at $12.00 cwt..

Great times ahead I hope. We'll be fireing up our grain drill and corn planter to insure we have enough home raised feeds to cover the bulls and replacement heifers next fall.I know it's not free but the ground it's going on is already tilled up for the most part.

Saw a Charolais bull today that was thick but not a top dressing bull that weighed 1815 bring 106.50

I guess I don't feel so bad now about paying $2,500 a piece for a bunch of registered yrlg bulls now. If the market hold we may get a good chunk of that back :D

Denny said:
Great times ahead I hope. We'll be fireing up our grain drill and corn planter to insure we have enough home raised feeds to cover the bulls and replacement heifers next fall.I know it's not free but the ground it's going on is already tilled up for the most part.

For the first time in 30 some years, their will be corn planted on our fields. We will have it done custom as we know nothing about farming, but the stuff is to darn expensive to buy. A good chunk of it will be put in a silage pile, and hoping we get some to combine to sell to buy some cheaper distillers.

Latest posts