• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I doubt ever in recorded history that Canada has had a strong $, high grain prices and high cattle prices and lots of hay around all at the same time. I bought $900 U'S for some travelling money yesterday and it cost me $.81 not the $400 it would of cost me back in the day. I had a credit card act up on our first trip to Farmington so like to have some real money just in case. My conversation with support was pretty interesting after three of us had lived on a dozen hot dogs and a loaf of bread for three days. We just sold about 2/3 of our cows yesterday-between the market and the Dr. report I figured maybe that was best. We'll breed a load or so of heifers just in case the sawbones was wrong.

I had planned on planting 80 acres anyhow and that won't change just 10 acres is going to be combined. I am also going to plant 20 acres of oats and barley.

burnt said:
You may find that you will need a big crop to stay ahead of the expenses! :?

I know what the seed, spray, planting, and harvesting costs are. I have the manure and will spread ourselves for the fertilizer. Our land costs are cheap compared to farm country, and I know what that is as well. It may sound crazy, but if we only get a 65 bushel yield, we will be ahead of the game, compared to buying $6 corn.

How far west do they grow corn in South Dakota?

Do you use the corn in your feed ration for your bulls?

nortexsook said:
How far west do they grow corn in South Dakota?

Do you use the corn in your feed ration for your bulls?

They grow it further west than we are. Our area is REALLY sandy and pretty dry. But our neighbors plant corn so I think we should be able to as well.

Yes, we do feed a little corn to our bulls. Most of their grain comes from distillers though.

Northern Rancher said:
I doubt ever in recorded history that Canada has had a strong $, high grain prices and high cattle prices and lots of hay around all at the same time. I bought $900 U'S for some travelling money yesterday and it cost me $.81 not the $400 it would of cost me back in the day. I had a credit card act up on our first trip to Farmington so like to have some real money just in case. My conversation with support was pretty interesting after three of us had lived on a dozen hot dogs and a loaf of bread for three days. We just sold about 2/3 of our cows yesterday-between the market and the Dr. report I figured maybe that was best. We'll breed a load or so of heifers just in case the sawbones was wrong.

I go north a lot---your $ is worth 1.0247 at this moment---up .08%---you shoulda got extra---but no matter which way you cross, somebody wants to hose ya'---sending a check recently, they wanted 3% over actual posted rate, a wire was worse----

Weigh-up cows sold quite well in Valentine today. I took ten open cows that averaged 1330 pounds per head @ $81.90 per cwt, to bring $1088.82 each. Costs other than the ride in our stock trailer averaged $14.36 per head, so the net check was $1074.45 per cow.

Here is the break-down:

3 blk cows - ave 1458# - 84.25 - ave $1228.65

3 blk cows - ave 1276# - 80.00 - ave $1021.33

2 blk cows - ave 1285# - 86.50 - ave $1111.75

1 blk cow - 1260# - 72.00 - $907.20

1 blk cow - 1260# - 80.00 - $1008.00

It gave me a little bull buying money for later in the day. :wink:

Faster horses said:
Congratulations!! Bet it was fun watching them sell.

I missed getting to watch them sell. Dinner and visiting seemed more important at the time. It was fun picking up the check. :)

Faster horses said:
So now, tell us about the bulls. :D

They are black Angus. :wink: I'll try to take some photos at some point.

Big Swede said:
I was watching the sale on the internet Soap, I heard your name mentioned.

nortexsook said:
New game plan? Or are these still cheap yearling bulls?

Due to not planning to buy any bulls, I didn't get a buyer's number. Towards the end of the sale some real nice bulls were selling rather reasonable so I ended up buying five. Two of the five weren't even registered, but this fact will not be of any concern to my cows. :wink:

Two of the registered bulls are sired by OCC Legend 616L (one of these has a Pathfinder mother), and the other bull is a son of Connealy Freightliner. They look good and are in just right condition to go to work in another six weeks or so.

http://www.farmfutures.com/story.aspx/livestock/call/by/john/otte/22/33817

Nationwide auction receipts were fairly light (22% less than the same week a year ago) and the year-to-date totals are now 8.5% lower than the five-year average, despite early sell-offs this year as producers took advantage of lofty prices.

Milestones were reached again last week. But talk of record breaking price levels are starting to sound like a broken record.

We have now moved to a whole new tier or echelon of cattle market levels with the average feeder steer worth just over $1,000 per head (750 lbs times the CME Index) and the average finished steer (829 lbs. dressed) selling for $1,650 per head.

Needless to say, cattlemen are enjoying this run-up in price levels. But this inflation has been accompanied by higher inputs and costs of production. It simply costs more money to own cattle of any class. Luckily, futures contracts have kept up with the cash market and cattle feeders can still hedge their investment, albeit at much higher levels than ever before.

Many drafts of feeder cattle sold in auctions across the country brought a resounding response of ooohs & aaahs from the crowd last week. The Hub City Livestock Auction in Aberdeen, SD sold a fancy load of 945 lb. steers at $134 on Wednesday. The Torrington, WY Livestock Commission sold a similar load weighing 620 lbs. for $161 and a package of thin 528 lb. steers at $187. Not long ago these quotes would have seemed like an April Fool's joke.

Black Out said:
Yes I still have them planning on going to grass with some of them. I hope I am not crazy. :D
Black out have you still got them and do you need a body guard for them? :lol:

549# strs brought $1.5925

478# strs $1.6975

538# hfrs $1.46

458# hfrs $1.4625

Hope the buyers make money but I'll take the money and run. Just two blks to bank and made it w/o being robbed.

Congratulations Cook and good luck with your sale blackout. Prices should be very rewarding for you.

Black Out said:
redrobin
Yes I still have them, two loads of steers are scheduled to be sold on July 14th at Bassett livestock in Bassett Ne. Hope I need bodyguards!
What are they going to weigh black out? Almost limit up today. You're fixing to kill a bear. :lol:

Latest posts