• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Conneally Freightliner

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I stand for R-Calf, I stand for the SDSTA, I stand for USA beef. If standing for those groups makes me an a-hole then so be it. I am not ignorant where my money is made. Currently we sell our beef at the producer level, if we cow tow to the Canucks we will end up the same way they are. I do not have a Canadian neighbor, I have a banker that I am establishing a beef herd through. I have wife and kids that do not have a surplus of money to GIVE to the Canadians. They have a BSE problem, Christofer TITUS had an HBO special where he said "Mad Cow" was a Canadian problem. The money I put into R-Calf is well spent when the general USA public associates BSE with Canada. YOU don't believe our tests tests so why should I believe yours???

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
I stand for R-Calf, I stand for the SDSTA, I stand for USA beef. If standing for those groups makes me an a-hole then so be it. I am not ignorant where my money is made. Currently we sell our beef at the producer level, if we cow tow to the Canucks we will end up the same way they are. I do not have a Canadian neighbor, I have a banker that I am establishing a beef herd through. I have wife and kids that do not have a surplus of money to GIVE to the Canadians. They have a BSE problem, Christofer TITUS had an HBO special where he said "Mad Cow" was a Canadian problem. The money I put into R-Calf is well spent when the general USA public associates BSE with Canada. YOU don't believe our tests tests so why should I believe yours???

Go back and check where your top genetics originated. Canada is that place, specifically Western Canada.

If you are just building a herd you have a lot to learn. You will never GIVE a Canadian any money, we earn it by hard work and better genetics.

"Structure, udders and feet, disposition, desire to calve, mothering ability, all traits that are not by the numbers." You are right, Jason! One day the EPD's for these "FUNCTIONAL" traits may be available, or some combination of several expressions which could help focus on those traits which are ethereal at this time. Probably the best alternative at the present time is "The Eye of the Master!"

DOC HARRIS

How a simple topic can be twisted, turned about in the wind, never to be the same! Yes WHSH, we all have axes to sharpen and water to carry. When we all wake up it is the same tired face in the mirror that was there yesterday. We put our pants on the same one leg at a time.

I admire your beliefs but don't discount ours. We banter back and forth and if you believe you are granted sainthood because you haven't found BSE in 14 month old steers, well carry on. We up here are to at the mercy of packers and that is where it all stems from. If we were all paid fairly no one would be fussing. Yes we have found some cattle with issues and so have you, we are living with it alot harder than you are. NOW FOR THE TWIST!

In two years when no for cases are found, north or south and the ethenol craze has made raisng cattle HELL who are you going to blame.

Learn to adjust, roll with the punches and life can be fun!

Say HI to the wife and kids and wish the banker well too.

CA

Is the bull with lots of hair that you are talking about SAV density, available through genex? I'm looking for an AI angus bull that throws hair and is smaller to medium framed. Anyone tried PINEBANK WAIGROUP 41'97 with calves or yearlings on the ground yet?

rainie said:
Is the bull with lots of hair that you are talking about SAV density, available through genex? I'm looking for an AI angus bull that throws hair and is smaller to medium framed. Anyone tried PINEBANK WAIGROUP 41'97 with calves or yearlings on the ground yet?
rainie-

Just for my own devious inquisitiveness, why are you looking for an AI Angus bull that "throws hair, and is smaller to medium framed"? What are your goals?

DOC HARRIS

To Doc Harris

In answer to your question. I live in manitoba. -40 temperatures are very common along with what seems like 10 feet of snow every winter.We don't get the chinooks that they get out west. We have started bale grazing for the last 3 years, and before that we grazed corn for 7 years. We can't swath graze here because of the snow. Other parts of the province guys are swath grazing because they don't get as much snow.We just want to get a smaller framed easier keeping cow with LOTS OF HAIR to cope better with the climate in our part of the country.We are trying to keep these cows out of the corral as much as we can, as a way to reduce our costs.We can terminal cross these cows to whatever for extra performance, but these cows have to earn their own way around here.A good thick haircoat helps these cows to handle the extreme cold we can get. A smaller framed cow can still bring in a 600 lb. calf and I won't have to spend as much time making hay for her as I would for a large framed cow still bringing in that 600 lb calf.

rainie said:
To Doc Harris

In answer to your question. I live in manitoba. -40 temperatures are very common along with what seems like 10 feet of snow every winter.We don't get the chinooks that they get out west. We have started bale grazing for the last 3 years, and before that we grazed corn for 7 years. We can't swath graze here because of the snow. Other parts of the province guys are swath grazing because they don't get as much snow.We just want to get a smaller framed easier keeping cow with LOTS OF HAIR to cope better with the climate in our part of the country.We are trying to keep these cows out of the corral as much as we can, as a way to reduce our costs.We can terminal cross these cows to whatever for extra performance, but these cows have to earn their own way around here.A good thick haircoat helps these cows to handle the extreme cold we can get. A smaller framed cow can still bring in a 600 lb. calf and I won't have to spend as much time making hay for her as I would for a large framed cow still bringing in that 600 lb calf.
rainie- Good answer! I had hoped that you had a practical answer such as that rather than seeking club calves to raise. Have you considered Highlanders or Dexters? I think you would have a better chance for the Hair coverage with a "Hair" breed rather than Angus. Just a thought.

DOC HARRIS

I'm pretty much an Angus person. I was raising them before they got popular, at least out here.There is no perfect breed. I'd just like to hear of a bull that has a tendency to throw more hair. Dexters are too small for where I market and Highlanders have too much hair and would get dinged going through the ring, at least where I am.

From what we see Density won't increase size but are well haired, better than the Freights. Good footed and yes we too swath graze and the right cattle will weed themselves out in the winter and we feel the Desities will be one of the sire groups that will do it.

CA

There's more to haircoat than length-we clip everything to brand them and actually our South Devon cattle have the densest haircoats of all. They winter better than cows that appear to have way more hair.

If you want hair from an Angus bull, I have 1 for you.

Commercial I can sell the semen, purebred I can direct you to the guy that bought the bull from me.

rainie said:
I'm pretty much an Angus person. I was raising them before they got popular, at least out here.There is no perfect breed. I'd just like to hear of a bull that has a tendency to throw more hair. Dexters are too small for where I market and Highlanders have too much hair and would get dinged going through the ring, at least where I am.

Of the Angus bulls I have used Alberda Traveler 416 seeemed to sire progeny with a lot of hair.

Thanks for the info folks. We've tried a'ing to some different Hereford bulls too to get the hair. We got the hair but they just got too framey when they matured out as cows and some still have udder problems. Kind of get , should I say disgruntled, when you go to the work, feed and expense of raising these heifers to cows, just to find out down the road that their udders are terrible and the calf can't get ahold of the tit. Just makes for extra work.What really burns me is when the owners prophesize up and down that the whole cow family has had good udders. Well I know that the bad udders genetics didn't come from our cows. I'm sure there is good uddered throwing bulls out there but I haven't been that lucky yet to find one. Thanks again.

Latest posts