• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Connecticut School Shooting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The mental health system in our country is largely broken because it relies on voluntary commitments until the person has committed a criminal act or carried out an attempt to injure themselves. So long as we are unable to commit dangerously mentally ill individuals we are going to continue to see these senseless acts. The presence or lack thereof of a gun has little to do with the fact that the person was insane and had no regard for law or life. Every instance of shooting sprees in recent times have been perpetrated by an individual who should have been committed rather than allowed to roam free and prey on society. We have to be more concerned with protecting innocent life than we are with protecting the "civil rights" of mentally ill individuals.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around this absolutely awful shooting. As a Mom of 3 little girls, one of whom is the exact age of the children killed, I cannot fathom what these parents are going through. As a sister and aunt of teachers, I again cannot imagine but know what my lengths my sister and neice would go to to protect their students . We went Xmas shopping with our girls yesterday and I as a parent felt the very real need to ask my kids if they knew where their "hiding spots" were at in their classroom, they all 3 were very matter of fact in describing where they were to go and what needed to be done in a ''bad" situtation....6, 9, and 11 yr olds know they need to be very quiet and hide so they won't get shot and die....read that last sentence again and then ask yourself.....why are there guns that can be legally purchased that can shoot 6 bullets a second? what possible reason other than a soldier defending their country possibly need to own something like that? I am not anti guns at all, my husband owns his fair share, but I am now more than ever against these kind of guns and how easily obtained they are in the US.

why are there guns that can be legally purchased that can shoot 6 bullets a second? what possible reason other than a soldier defending their country possibly need to own something like that? I am not anti guns at all, my husband owns his fair share, but I am now more than ever against these kind of guns and how easily obtained they are in the US.

A gun that shoots 6 bullets per second would be classified as "fully automatic" or a "machine gun". Those type guns are NOT easily purchased.

A special BATF license must be obtained for ownership or transfer. A THOROUGH (more thorough than normal) FBI (plus local & State) check and the license is not cheap.

Someone's been listening to Nancy Pelosi?

Here's what can happen when owning a "Machine Gun" out of compliance:

Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself.

[49 U.S.C. 781-788, 26 U.S.C. 5861 and 5872]

Yanuck said:
I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around this absolutely awful shooting. As a Mom of 3 little girls, one of whom is the exact age of the children killed, I cannot fathom what these parents are going through. As a sister and aunt of teachers, I again cannot imagine but know what my lengths my sister and neice would go to to protect their students . We went Xmas shopping with our girls yesterday and I as a parent felt the very real need to ask my kids if they knew where their "hiding spots" were at in their classroom, they all 3 were very matter of fact in describing where they were to go and what needed to be done in a ''bad" situtation....6, 9, and 11 yr olds know they need to be very quiet and hide so they won't get shot and die....read that last sentence again and then ask yourself.....why are there guns that can be legally purchased that can shoot 6 bullets a second? what possible reason other than a soldier defending their country possibly need to own something like that? I am not anti guns at all, my husband owns his fair share, but I am now more than ever against these kind of guns and how easily obtained they are in the US.

My kids are both in elementary school too. And i cannot come close to figuring out why somebody could murder a child. But try and follow my logic for a second.....Bad people will do bad things. There have been lots of cases where parents kill thier own kids. Maybe something snaps in thier brain or maybe they are just pure evil? But whatever the reason, they commit horrible acts. Guns and especially assualt style weapons are easy to blame. But everytime we ban or limit them, another shooting takes place. Columbine, Virginia Tech, University of Texas, Trolley square here in Utah and on and on. It isnt the weapon! It is the crazy person behind it! I am all for keeping guns away from people that have mental issues. But we cant even keep them away from criminals who are prohibited by law to have them! I just dont think taking them away would fix the issue. I have friends who own and shoot assualt waepons. They are good, law-abiding citizens who work in places thet require security clearances. Why should they have to give up their guns because some insane person goes nuts?

Yanuck, I am heart broken for these kids. I feel like i have been in a cloud since it happened. It is sickening and tragic and unthinkable. I know you are feeling just as bad if not worse. But the gun isnt the trouble in this country. It's the parenting, the violence, the unaccountability, the lazyness, the forgetting about God, the loss of work ethic and the good folks who have allowed evil to surround all of us without realizing their will be consequences. I have know idea except for from the media, how this 20 year old that killed these kids was raised. He must of had a lot of wiring problems in his brain. If he couldnt of gotten guns he may have used dynamite or a car or a million other things. I dont know the answers and hope we all can focus on loving our kids and being decent human beings. God bless the families and everyone.

Yanuck, I hope ya know my whole family thinks the world of you and your family. I sure dont want to tick ya off by my comments. And i can sure see where you are coming from. Be Blessed.

why does anyone other than a soldier defending his/her country need a gun that shoots 6 bullets per second? and because it is in the constitution about the right to bear arms is not feasible/reasonable answer and the thoroughness of background checks and expense doesn't cut it either.
I realize there are evil sick mentally screwed up people in this world..I get that....why is it that this happens in the US more than anywhere else in the world? because guns that shoot 6 bullets per second can be obtained here. and no Mike I didn't get that from Nancy Pelosi

http://now.msn.com/sandy-hook-shooting-weapon-was-223-caliber-rifle-designed-for-combat

Adam Lanza, who allegedly shot and killed 26 people at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school, reportedly had an exceptionally lethal rifle originally designed for use in combat. Along with two handguns, a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle was found at the scene. The Bushmaster is a type of semi-automatic weapon that was first used by American troops during the Vietnam War and which can fire up to six bullets a second. According to firearms expert Ronald Scott, a former head of the Massachusetts State Police's firearms lab, the rifles can be obtained relatively easily by "people with the legal right to buy them," but said the weapons are designed for combat. "There's really no other use for them," Scott said.

I don't think of my self as a gun nut as some would say, i don't quit know what that it is. All i have to say is i totally agree with allot of the above post and the gun can't kill unless there is one to pull the trigger. When we took god, prayer and discipline from the school it has been all down hill. If this wack job wanted to kill many and didn't get a gun he would have just knifed them to death or made a bomb from house hold supplies and blew them up. Where the evil lies and there is a will there is a way. So taking the guns from up standing citizens only lets evil into my house and space. The second amendment saves lives we just don't here as much about it. My prayers are with, them and time is the only things that will make it better. SB

Yanuck said:
why does anyone other than a soldier defending his/her country need a gun that shoots 6 bullets per second? and because it is in the constitution about the right to bear arms is not feasible/reasonable answer and the thoroughness of background checks and expense doesn't cut it either.
I realize there are evil sick mentally screwed up people in this world..I get that....why is it that this happens in the US more than anywhere else in the world? because guns that shoot 6 bullets per second can be obtained here. and no Mike I didn't get that from Nancy Pelosi

http://now.msn.com/sandy-hook-shooting-weapon-was-223-caliber-rifle-designed-for-combat

Adam Lanza, who allegedly shot and killed 26 people at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school, reportedly had an exceptionally lethal rifle originally designed for use in combat. Along with two handguns, a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle was found at the scene. The Bushmaster is a type of semi-automatic weapon that was first used by American troops during the Vietnam War and which can fire up to six bullets a second. According to firearms expert Ronald Scott, a former head of the Massachusetts State Police's firearms lab, the rifles can be obtained relatively easily by "people with the legal right to buy them," but said the weapons are designed for combat. "There's really no other use for them," Scott said.

But why stop there? What about 3 shots a second or 1 shot a second? I guess i dont have much faith in government to do the right thing. When Regan was almost assinated it was "ban handguns"! Politics will do away with common sense. And shooting sports like compition shooting and varmint hunting are very valid uses for them. It sounds like even Mr. Scott, the firearms expert, has an agenda? :? Bullets per second really isnt the issue. A shotgun is a deadly weapon that would of done as much or more damage. To me it's the ability to defend the kids that should be a bigger part of the issue.

Heading to church now so i'll quit arguing with ya. :) I respect your thoughts though even if we dont agree.

There definitely is something fundamentally and deeply wrong in our country.

Wouldn't it be effective if laws already on the books were enforced,instead of consequences watered down by lawyers and others? I believe it probably is pretty hard to legally get automatic weapons, but I know a guy who got into a lot of trouble and is not supposed to have guns, but has a sawed off shotgun, colt semiautomatic 45, and a SKS rifle. He got those illegally, has been reported, but nothing is done because law enforcement (sheriff in rural SD) wont' deal with it. "Too much to do" with real crime. So, how common is this situation? And, yes, jails are too full as it is, so around and around we go.

As we are enforcing what is already on the books, then we can reasonably and logically make societal changes.

I'm thinking a quick solution is to round up young men age 17-24 and put them in the military for some real rigorous training and discipline. Regardless of their status' in the world; , 2 parent family, single parent home, affluent, poor, welfare, good student, bad student, all of them go. It looks like whatever is wrong with our country affects them the most, as they are the ones doing the massacres. I know, I know, not realistic, but wth is going on with these guys?

Oh, at the same time that NFL player, Belcher, shot an killed his girlfriend and then himself, a young white man drove from Conn. to WY, stabbed his dad's girlfriend to death, went to his dad's classroom and shot his dad in the head with a bow and arrow. He then stabbed himself to death. This was in Casper, WY. It did not make the MSM news ( as Bob Costas was busy editorializing gun control) because when this kid could not get a gun in Connecticut (gun laws working), he had to go with plan B. And plan B does not promote the gun control agenda.

I realize there are evil sick mentally screwed up people in this world..I get that....why is it that this happens in the US more than anywhere else in the world?

Because we, in the United States of America, think we need to know what is happening, instantly!! Things like this happen world wide, but here we hear about it, almost before it does happen.
The media has turned these SICKOS into a form of heros.

Yanuck said:

The writer of that MSNBC article is wrong, wrong,wrong :roll: Unless you can pull the trigger 6 times per second!

It's articles like that get the public in an uproar about banning guns. You can believe that crap all you want.......................................

Yanuck said:

Question, why does owning a gun seem to equate to turning a person into a crazed maniac. Guns equal safety. Some people think that if you make it a crime to own guns, criminals are going to automatically start obeying the law.

Mike said:
Yanuck said:

The writer of that MSNBC article is wrong, wrong,wrong :roll: Unless you can pull the trigger 6 times per second!

It's articles like that get the public in an uproar about banning guns. You can believe that crap all you want.......................................

all right Mike...tell me, just how fast is the gun capable of firing then? 26 people shot, some as many as 11 times...little kids shot 11 times..... think about that.....how much do you think is left of them? the shooting was 8 minutes long
Lazy WP..yes things like this happen in other parts of the world, what is the ratio of deaths in the US of this type of shooting compare to other countries...the US is far higher I'd bet.

Larrry said:
Yanuck said:

Question, why does owning a gun seem to equate to turning a person into a crazed maniac. Guns equal safety. Some people think that if you make it a crime to own guns, criminals are going to automatically start obeying the law.
that is not what I said at all

A research poll found that 85% of Americans would find it appropriate for a principal or teacher to use "a gun at school to defend the lives of students" to stop a school massacre

According to the National Safety Council guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year—or about 6,850 times a day. This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.

Remember the magic cure to stop criminals doesn't exist. There is no utopia. You could outlaw these so called fast guns but why would this lunatic decide to obey that law when he already chose to ignore the law and go on his killing spree.

Yanuck said:
Mike said:
Yanuck said:

all right Mike...tell me, just how fast is the gun capable of firing then? 26 people shot, some as many as 11 times...little kids shot 11 times..... think about that.....how much do you think is left of them? the shooting was 8 minutes long
Lazy WP..yes things like this happen in other parts of the world, what is the ratio of deaths in the US of this type of shooting compare to other countries...the US is far higher I'd bet.

That gun won't shoot any faster than the .22 rimfire semi-automatic my 10 year old nephew squirrel hunts with.........................................

But that's not the point. You took the libera media bait and ran with it by blaming the gun. :roll:

Yanuck said:
Larrry said:
Yanuck said:

that is not what I said at all

When you want to do away with these guns you are perpetuating that stance.

If we outlawed these so called fast guns can you honestly say children wouldn't have been killed. Statistics point to the opposite.

Yanuck said:
Mike said:
Yanuck said:

All right put it this way, you have 3-5 (does it matter) people coming threw your door to rape and pillage everything you have, do you want to be able to just shoot one? Not me i want as many rounds in them as i can spare. But i am a GUN NUT! SB

I resent it when someone decides I should be deprived of my rights to defend my children because of some crazy lunatic. Furthermore if the school administration would have been allowed their rights there would by all statistics been a lot less deaths

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but just a reminder that this is Ranch Talk, not Political Bull. Let's all try to keep this discussion civil so that we can keep it in here where more members are comfortable participating in the discussion.

There's no way that we can keep all of the politics out of an issue such as this, but we certainly don't have to act the same way toward other members in here that we would if we were in PB.

If we can't keep it civil and free of insults, it will be moved. Thanks.

Latest posts