• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farmer or Rancher?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Don't you just HATE it when you post, and then someone jumps right over you without even acknowledgement to carry on an argument with someone else??? LOL

Happened to me, SO, once again,

Here in Arizona, if you don't know the difference between a farmer and a rancher....you're not a rancher! :lol:

Just for the record everything I grow goes into my cows we have to harvest due to extreme cold and deep snow.My piggies on the other hand are being fed free feed and when that gravytrain runs out so will the piggies.

I eat sleep and breathe cattle BEEF CATTLE not dairy we trail doctor and work cows horseback I do have a 4-wheeler but its used for fenceing (for the cows) and I drop it off on hayfields for a ride back to the truck at days end I am by no means the best roper in the world but I can catch and doctor cows,bulls or calves.But in this country if you don't spend time on a tractor your cattle will starve to death come winter.I consider myself a rancher with an open mind if I see something outside the box that will make some money to support the ranch I will most likely try it.I have built livestock trailers for 20 years now and I would much rather shovel pigcrap than breath welding and paint fumes.

The best part is were all free to do as we please and to that we can thank our servicemen and women..

Ranchers whine about there not making any money in cattle, Farmers Whine that there is no money to be made in the crops they grow....

Those that whine about both...We just run from them,

;-}

PPRM

I don't like doing anything except from the back of a horse.

She likes wading in the muck and plucking chickens.

What does that make us?

Goodpasture said:
I don't like doing anything except from the back of a horse.

She likes wading in the muck and plucking chickens.

What does that make us?

Compatible??? :D

Doug Thorson said:
I was talking to a mechanic friend the other day about fixing machinery on-site as opposed to in the shop and he told me a lot of farmers had as good a shop as the dealership. the way he put it "If a farmer has a quarter he will spend a dollar, if a rancher has a dollar he might spend a nickel"
That being said I am a rancher, no shop as there is no need to fix it if you can cobble it.
"I have done so much for so long with so little I can do practically anything with almost nothing"
8) Well said,only thing I could add to that is-Farmers work TOO hard,and ranchers don't call it work,cause they luv it too much?

I,m new to ranchers.net so I hope you don't mind me joining your conversation. I don't believe theres much of a difference. a rancher in defintion is a person dedicated to the husbandry of cattle,sheep,and horses a farmer is a person dedicated to the husbandry of hogs ,cows ,sheep, and grain, But don't ranchers farm grass? they just harvest it with a cow not a combine.

Farmers like to buy iron-ranchers stay up at night wondering if they upgraded their fencing tool they could sell their hammer. Farmers just run through life alot faster then ranchers there's only so far you can push a cows gas peddle.

Denny, theres nothing wrong with all Realtors, I'm a licenced Realtor in Texas, own and operate 2 dairies of over 800 milk cows, run beef cows, raise bucking bulls, grow oats/wheat and seem to spend a lot of time horseback. Not sure what that makes me but a very busy individual in the agricultural world. Not all Realtors are bad you just have to watch out for the snakes that give the rest of us a bad name.

Carter said:
Denny, theres nothing wrong with all Realtors, I'm a licenced Realtor in Texas, own and operate 2 dairies of over 800 milk cows, run beef cows, raise bucking bulls, grow oats/wheat and seem to spend a lot of time horseback. Not sure what that makes me but a very busy individual in the agricultural world. Not all Realtors are bad you just have to watch out for the snakes that give the rest of us a bad name.

It was more of a joke around here Realtors buy up farms and subdivide them into 20 acre parcels they have no morals..

If farmers grow corn and ranchers grow cattle . what is a person who feeds corn to cattle to grow beef? :???:

Okay - I'll jump into the fray!

Ranchers raise "Ruminants" (cattle, sheep, goats, etc.), primarily, and the CROPS with which Ruminants are fed.

Farmers raise "Crops" (Hay, grain, ,etc), primarily, to which Ruminants are fed, AND they MAY also raise NON-Ruminants (Swine, poultry, fish, etc.) and the CROPS with which NON-Ruminants are fed - AND the "Crops" with which HUMAN BEINGS (Men, women, children, and, occasionally, Politicians) are fed.

Some RANCHERS are Ranchers AND Farmers.

Some FARMERS are Farmers AND Ranchers.

Unfortunately - some RANCHERS and FARMERS are NEITHER Ranchers NOR farmers!

DOC HARRIS

I agree with Doc Harris! a simple way to call it. If you have livestock you should be a stockman. if you have crops your an agronismist. if you do both your a very busy person!

Latest posts