• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Here we go, WET again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We had 1.5 inches here at the ranch yesterday but up near the place at town they had 3-4 to 7- 9 inches farther west and north. We have fences washed out bridges and culverts washed out. But we are GREEN

East of us it's a disaster, towns have lost sewer and water capabilities, roads under water, roads washed out. My son got a call to haul coal for the big power plant at Estevan because the heavy haul roads are under water between the coal mines and the power plant so they have to load coal on trucks and haul it around by the hiway. He might as well cause the oil patch work has been really hit and miss because of flooded roads and leases.
What a mess.

kris said:
raining here in the madison....again...just what the rivers and creeks needs...more moisture!!! :( the rain will also melt the snow we still have in the mountains!!

The Sun, Belt Creek, probably Teton got about 4X normal snowpack moisture. Forest Service guy the other day said Badger's got 29" inches of actual water where they measure it. Another cool overcast day---if it turns hot and--worse yet---rains with it, we'll get another dandy flush. Too bad it can't come more timely--and a shame to see all the water leaving a semi-arid envirionment.

3words said:
Checked the rain gauge when i got up this morning,2 inchs of very welcomed rain :D .Hope you guys that are in need of rain,get some very soon!!

Finally someone is getting it who really needs it. :D Hope it continues throughout the summer for you all.

Guess the drought is kinda over-over two inches and our grid road about to go under water!! Going to brand down south here on Tuesday/Wednesday if it doesn't rain today-Ty and I have been doing Cowboy Lego all morning finishing off the pen.

We went from a drought to a flood in three days-Shauna said the creek through the pasture is running bankful so my west meadows will be under water. Hopefully it set the hoppers back a bit-hoping showers stay away from the Waldorf so we can get branded this week.

We got another very welcome 3/4" yesterday, bringing us to 2" over the last week, so things are about perfect now. If we get more that's great, if it doesn't rain for a few weeks that's okay too. We had worked up some pasture last fall but hadn't got it seeded back, we were about to start when the rains came. Was up and looked at it a few days ago and I don't think we'll seed it this year as the grass and clover are coming on very thick and healthy. Life is much easier with moisture.

We got a very welcome 1.35" overnight. Could use a little more, and don't know how widespread it was over the ranch, at this time. Forcast and looking like more today and tomorrow, at least. We don't need a lot of run-off, and I'm sure this all went right in to keep our grass ahead of the large number of tiny hoppers. Sure wish they would get terminal rot!!!

mrj

2 1/4 inches since friday, am looking south, it appears that Per is getting a major rain/hail event. looked like he had one earlier today as well. hope it misses him as i'm sure the area doesn't need anymore right now

littlejoe said:
kris said:
raining here in the madison....again...just what the rivers and creeks needs...more moisture!!! :( the rain will also melt the snow we still have in the mountains!!

The Sun, Belt Creek, probably Teton got about 4X normal snowpack moisture. Forest Service guy the other day said Badger's got 29" inches of actual water where they measure it. Another cool overcast day---if it turns hot and--worse yet---rains with it, we'll get another dandy flush. Too bad it can't come more timely--and a shame to see all the water leaving a semi-arid envirionment.

NO RAIN HERE TODAY AND THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO WARM UP AND DRY UP A BIT FOR THE WEEKEND (JUST IN TIME FOR OUR ANNUAL RELAY FOR LIFE!!)....HAVE SNOW STILL IN THE MOUNTAINS TO MELT OFF SO WILL WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!! PRAYERS TO ALL WHO ARE EITHER WASHING AWAY OR BURNING UP....SEEMS TO BE NO HAPPY MIDDLE RIGHT NOW!!

Very lucky yesterday - - - we only got 0.3" but about 15 miles west they got 4.5" to 5.5" in less than an hour!

Two mojor highways ( one north of Indy and one at the south edge of Indy ) washed out. The news said it will be about 2 months to get US 31 back open!

We are still having a hard time putting up hay as we are getting about an inch a week devided into about 3 rains a week ( mostly every other day) the row crops ae loving it and so is the pasture.

So far the news said June is 10" over normal! My motorcycle thinks I have left town! Fly spray does not stay on cattle very long! But I think the flies are having a hard time as they ae not as bad as they could be!

Good Morning America is reporting that the south west and particulary Texas is finnally getting rain - - - -I hope this is true.

We have had at least 0.2" 7 out of the last 8 days and 4 more in the forcast!

Sunny most of the day yesterday and blue sky this morning. Serious glare and reflection off all the water in the fields. Hope to get back to spraying crops tomorrow even though it will be much too wet, the crops are in a weed and wild oat frenzy. We are always 3 weeks or less to the next drought but I have to say, boy am I tired of rain (for now).

If you are tired of the rain now,wait until you start haying.I still have a lot of black hay from last year,and sure hope we don't have a repeat of that again this year.Poor hay makes even poor bedding.

Waldorf branding rained completely out guess we'll try again later had six friends and nine horses came down from Meadow to help. We did work the first calvers a bit trying to get the one group to mother up when moved. The men held them for two hours and three heifers never did find their calves-hard to put a value on mothering ability and herdability but if they don't have it there is a cost.

Waldorf branding rained completely out guess we'll try again later had six friends and nine horses came down from Meadow to help. We did work the first calvers a bit trying to get the one group to mother up when moved. The men held them for two hours and three heifers never did find their calves-hard to put a value on mothering ability and herdability but if they don't have it there is a cost.

It is also one of the things that is impossible to judge by looking through replacements. One more reason to keep records of cows and keep your own females.

Northern Rancher said:

You use a dog on moves? Seems like a dog just has to be there to bring out the prey/predator instinct and make cows pay a little more attention to their calves.

3words said:
If you are tired of the rain now,wait until you start haying.I still have a lot of black hay from last year,and sure hope we don't have a repeat of that again this year.Poor hay makes even poor bedding.

don't even want to think about last year :mad: just hope that it knows when to shut it off, any time soon would be ok :D :D

Latest posts