• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Here we go, WET again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
3words said:
Denny said:
I had a 120 acres of silage corn to seed and between breakdowns and mud it's very late getting it in I planted 20 acres on saturday and got all the wettest fields yesterday another 80 acres I've got 20 acres left to seed but its rained all night and I bet it's a muddy mess. I'll get the planter home and fix what broke at dark then do a little planting tonight if it dries off enough. I'm 2 hours from being done but that could be days away. Oh do we have grass It'll be fun haying thats for sure unless it rains every other day.

Yes there is lots of hay and all it wants to do is rain every second day.I baled enough black hay last year and i don't want to do that again,so thinking might just get a custom guy in and silage it.Then at least i know i got lots of feed and good feed.

That sounds like a good idea. :D
It's hard to beat good silage. I even have a Big Auggie 14 mixer wagon I'd sell you cheap. We have a heck of a time finding a silage crew that will come way down here. I like it bagged as the sealed bags keep a year or two if you don't need them.

That is the only experience i have had with silage was bagging it,and it worked good and the dairy cows milked well off of it.Sold the cows and the quota in the 90's,and went to beef cows.Always have baled everything since,but i'm fed up with baling black hay that even makes poor bedding.Time to try something new,it's going to cost quite a bit to get the silage crew to chop it,but what is a black hay bale worth?How about 500 of them?Even the bales that still had a bit of green in them i called it good feed,but on a normal year i would be calling those bales my crap hay.

Latest posts