• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Holden Herefords

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We did try an Angus bull once and once was enough. Sold him for $900 and spent around $600 fixing the corral he damaged.

Soapweed said:
I Luv Herfrds said:
We did try an Angus bull once and once was enough. Sold him for $900 and spent around $600 fixing the corral he damaged.

Which is harder, fixing corrals or prolapses?

Since I haven't had prolapses that hasn't been a problem. Their craziness now that is a problem. And if I would be able to capture a premium it would be more than offset by the bigger cost of the crazy haired blacks. Heck I don't even need a cage to tag the babies. I have always been able to capture a price as good and many times better than the black hairs are getting.
But the biggest kicker and it is the one why I wouldn't touch those black hairs, is I value my family and their safety. What would it cost to send a loved one to the hospital or even lose one. I am not going to gaamble with my families safety. Heck I don't evben need a cage to tag the babies

Larrry said:
Soapweed said:
I Luv Herfrds said:

Since I haven't had prolapses that hasn't been a problem. Their craziness now that is a problem. And if I would be able to capture a premium it would be more than offset by the bigger cost of the crazy haired blacks. Heck I don't even need a cage to tag the babies. I have always been able to capture a price as good and many times better than the black hairs are getting.
But the biggest kicker and it is the one why I wouldn't touch those black hairs, is I value my family and their safety. What would it cost to send a loved one to the hospital or even lose one. I am not going to gaamble with my families safety. Heck I don't evben need a cage to tag the babies

I hear about these wild black cows all the time, and yes you can get some bad eggs, but I have seen them in most every color.
What I do find amusing is one prominent Hereford breeder that post here on ranchers picked up some Black Angus hfrs for his little boys 4H projects. :?

Are they man man killers or not? :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Larrry said:
Soapweed said:

I hear about these wild black cows all the time, and yes you can get some bad eggs, but I have seen them in most every color.
What I do find amusing is one prominent Hereford breeder that post here on ranchers picked up some Black Angus hfrs for his little boys 4H projects. :?

See the ideas stuck in ones head sometimes are not the true indicator of what the actual breed is for example prolapse etc.

The thing is I will stick with the Herewford because of the temperment is better with thew Herefords as a general rule. My families safety I will not gamble with.

As per Angus for a 4H project those were hand picked and halter broke, not an indicator of the whole breed. Just one little snapshot.

The biggest thing is If someone wants to throw out accusations on the herefords and try to run the breed down, I can play that game. That is what I was showing. The sad part is some breeds will work for one guy and not the next. We all are raising beef and should be joined in beef production and not trying to run their neighbors choices down.

Larrry said:
Soapweed said:
I Luv Herfrds said:

We probably only have about fifty baldy cows (with Hereford blood in their veins), but some of our very orneriest cows are some of these. Right at the moment, the Kosmo Kid is nursing a hurt big toe from kicking at one of these baldies. I hadn't done a real spiffy job of sorting heavies, and this baldy's calf was not born in the heavy lot. The Kosmo Kid was trying to tag her calf out in the pasture, and she chased him up on top of the flatbed of the pickup. He kicked at her in retaliation. Probably had the baldy shown "more milk" I'd have had her sorted out with the heavies, and her calf would have gotten tagged with the cage. :wink:

I have a long-time friend who ran Hereford cows with his uncle back in the 1960's. A registered Hereford cow was on the warpath, and she chased my friend up on a fence. She had one horn that was just about grown back around into the side of her face. As my friend dove for the top rail of the fence, he instictively kicked at the cow. His foot went through between her horn and her head, and she took off dragging him. His back was hurt bad enough that ranching was no longer an option, and he has since been involved in another successful career.

There are bad actors in any breed of cattle. Neither Herefords or Angus have corners on the market when it comes to dispositon, good or bad.

Larrry said:
yep and prolapses in the Angus breed.

Larrry, sorrry if I come acrosss as picking on Herefords. I was mainly posing an absurd question to an absurd observation.

Soapweed said:
I Luv Herfrds said:

Yes thats the way it came across.

I have never boughten an animal from Holden but look at them. They have built an empire that few can match. Sure they have promoted their cattle but they could not have had quality behind it to have survived and thrived for probably 70 years or more I am guessing. Same goes for Ace and his cattle they have survived and thrived.

I just wish that all those cars out on the highway nowdays you didn't have to crank them to start them. :wink:

Larrry said:
Yes thats the way it came across.

I have never boughten an animal from Holden but look at them. They have built an empire that few can match. Sure they have promoted their cattle but they could not have had quality behind it to have survived and thrived for probably 70 years or more I am guessing. Same goes for Ace and his cattle they have survived and thrived.

I just wish that all those cars out on the highway nowdays you didn't have to crank them to start them. :wink:

I think your forgetting it was a Hereford breeder that started the running down of Holden's Herefords, and then used experiences with one Black Angus bull to paint them all as corral bashers. :roll:

I remember when the neighbors Limousin cattle got in with our cows. To get them out we just let the Limos out run our cows and then rode in between them.

Does that mean all Limo's are flighty?

Oh wait that was a bad example. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'm thinkin there might be to much calvin goin on about this time of year. Its starting to sound like a bunch of junior high school girls around about now. :evil:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Larrry said:
Soapweed said:

well that all hinges on whether or not the state will let me bring them into MT without bangs - to be adult bangs (find out March 12)... if not i'll try earlier this coming fall. I walked thru most of that herd while they were calving and it was no different than walking thru my cows as far as temperment - mind you i wasn't messing with their calves on the ground with the calf bawling that may or may not have triggered the "berserk", "i'm gonna run you over, plant your butt in the ground, and go after your family" gene.

just like there are angus that won't eat your lunch, won't die without "extra added nutrion to replace high powered genetics", won't break down before they turn 6... there are herefords that don't have eye or prolapse problems.

cris - i know, as your tag name applies - you love your cattle and are passionate about the breed. we all are, but its like trying to sell a rancher and a farmer the same thing... it just don't work. its like asking kit pharo to use a sav sire and vice versa (trying to put it in terms all you shorty breeders can understand :p ) - it just ain't gonna happen and from personal experience i quit trying cause in their eyes I just come off as a dumb ass. I guess my point is cris, i've been painted with that same broad brush that Ken kind of commented on and it really isn't fair. there are folks within the hereford breed that think the same dang thing you do about the bloodlines i use and will never use them because of it. they got burned too and that is hard to change their mind on for good reason. I just don't put it on the "bloodline" so much as what the breeder does in terms of making excuses for it. I don't have a clue in your situation and don't really want to know. this is a fight you don't need to win and you won't win here. just take comfort in what you are doing and take pride in the fact that you won't be a "hereford" breeder that let the problems of the breed get the best of you.

oops - edited to say. i ain't a prominant breeder so you must have been talking about someone else, sorry.

Hereford76 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Larrry said:

well that all hinges on whether or not the state will let me bring them into MT without bangs - to be adult bangs (find out March 12)... if not i'll try earlier this coming fall. I walked thru most of that herd while they were calving and it was no different than walking thru my cows as far as temperment - mind you i wasn't messing with their calves on the ground with the calf bawling that may or may not have triggered the "berserk", "i'm gonna run you over, plant your butt in the ground, and go after your family" gene.

just like there are angus that won't eat your lunch, won't die without "extra added nutrion to replace high powered genetics", won't break down before they turn 6... there are herefords that don't have eye or prolapse problems.

cris - i know, as your tag name applies - you love your cattle and are passionate about the breed. we all are, but its like trying to sell a rancher and a farmer the same thing... it just don't work. its like asking kit pharo to use a sav sire and vice versa (trying to put it in terms all you shorty breeders can understand :p ) - it just ain't gonna happen and from personal experience i quit trying cause in their eyes I just come off as a dumb ass. I guess my point is cris, i've been painted with that same broad brush that Ken kind of commented on and it really isn't fair. there are folks within the hereford breed that think the same dang thing you do about the bloodlines i use and will never use them because of it. they got burned too and that is hard to change their mind on for good reason. I just don't put it on the "bloodline" so much as what the breeder does in terms of making excuses for it. I don't have a clue in your situation and don't really want to know. this is a fight you don't need to win and you won't win here. just take comfort in what you are doing and take pride in the fact that you won't be a "hereford" breeder that let the problems of the breed get the best of you.

oops - edited to say. i ain't a prominant breeder so you must have been talking about someone else, sorry.

Around here your "prominent " :D

your "Broad Brush" comment was just what I was pointing out,

I really hope your boys get to use those hfrs for 4H projects. This border deal drives me crazy. I used to bring bulls up from Jordan and had to get them here before the end of March. Always cut it close to get them tested.
The Bangs deal we don't vaccinate so we don't get false positives as they say we have eradicated it. MT vaccinates thinking it will suppress a out break but they can test positive. At least that's how I got it figured. Two programs, I hope they both work but they don't work well together. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Hereford76 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I really hope your boys get to use those hfrs for 4H projects. This border deal drives me crazy. I used to bring bulls up from Jordan and had to get them here before the end of March. Always cut it close to get them tested.
The Bangs deal we don't vaccinate so we don't get false positives as they say we have eradicated it. MT vaccinates thinking it will suppress a out break but they can test positive. At least that's how I got it figured. Two programs, I hope they both work but they don't work well together. :?

So fill in the blank:

Around here -

Hereford76 = prominant hereford breeder
Big Muddy = _________ angus breeder
:)

i guess if being in the minority makes me prominant ... i'll take it, never will otherwise!

Hereford76 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Hereford76 said:

So fill in the blank:

Around here -

Hereford76 = prominant hereford breeder
Big Muddy = Just another angus breeder
:)

i guess if being in the minority makes me prominant ... i'll take it, never will otherwise!

:D :lol: :lol: :D

Larrry said:
Soapweed said:
I Luv Herfrds said:

You'd better sell all your animals then regardless of color! Any animal can step on ya accidentally, Hereford or otherwise. If you think angus are crazy, try Chi's or tarantaise. And we used to calve a herd of mixed cows for a doctor and named a nice little hereford cow "kamikazi" when she calved. She would turn plumb crazy for 2 weeks after calving and would injure you if she could get ya pinned down. Then she was fine. I hate painting any breed with a broad brush, but your statement is pretty sillly! :roll: Animals will equal wrecks regardless of breed. To think otherwise makes you a pretty sorry cattleman. :wink:

After working feeder calf sales for a number of years I have come to the conclusion that I do not like crazy cattle of any breed or cross. The only breed that makes me extremely nervous is purebred chi's as they can and do kick like a mule. The best solution is to turn bad actors into beef at the earliest possible opportunity.

leanin' H said:
Larrry said:
Soapweed said:

You'd better sell all your animals then regardless of color! Any animal can step on ya accidentally, Hereford or otherwise. If you think angus are crazy, try Chi's or tarantaise. And we used to calve a herd of mixed cows for a doctor and named a nice little hereford cow "kamikazi" when she calved. She would turn plumb crazy for 2 weeks after calving and would injure you if she could get ya pinned down. Then she was fine. I hate painting any breed with a broad brush, but your statement is pretty sillly! :roll: Animals will equal wrecks regardless of breed. To think otherwise makes you a pretty sorry cattleman. :wink:

I hope you feel better about yourself now that you called me a silly sorry cattleman.

So sorry that you missed my point in my post.

Soapweed I put the business end of a pitchfork into that bulls face when he did a bluff charge on me. Hubby laid a steel fence post across his head for the same reason.
I would rather not do either but sh*t happens and its gotta be done.

Knew a gent years ago that raised some of the nicest tempered Angus cattle I ever saw. If we were buying Angus it would have been from him. But by the time we did buy an angus bull he was already gone along with his herd.

Ace its like a p*ssing contest and I will stick by my herd and breed and my opinion and if others don't like it that is their right. I just could not care less.

Latest posts