• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I feel the same as soapweed,I started to reply to this post a few days ago but I could'nt get it to sound smooth like Soapweed's.I had a big gelding that was stove up in his front legs about 10 years ago he was about 10 and unrideable I was alot poorer than I am now and sold him thru a butcher pen and most likely used the money to feed my young family.My family was poor when I was young and we survived on venison and chicken I can't hardly eat venison now and back then I would have eaten horse to get away from venison.When your hungry you will eat what ever is served.If it was a choice between goat or horse I would eat the horse,not to mention some nasty old swamp buck.The whole time growing up I can only remember butchering 1 cow and that was an old bone thin holstein.I remember butcchering a shetland pony also used it for dogfood.

katrina said:
Even though I agree with the most of you. From Ropers post you can see how passionate he is for this cause. And a person has to commend him for that...

So do you commend Hillary Clinton for being passionate about wanting to become President? :wink: :)

Just funnin' ya, Katrina. :) RoperAB is a clear-thinking good guy. I just think that the Horse Industry needs packing plants. If packers are disallowed, conditions will be ruined for everyone who likes horses, from breeders to trainers, working ranchers, trail riders, rodeoers, race horse enthusiasts, teamsters, kids on palomino ponies, you name it. This is one of those issues that we would rather stick our heads in the sand and pretend doesn't exist, but the problem of how to dispose of unusable horses is one that will not go away. Passionate horse lovers will see multitudes of starving-to-death suffering equines if the horse meat industry is put out of business.

That's a big NO on Hillary.
And I agree totally with you..... But I can understand and relate to roper. He isn't mean and stays to the point. And it's okay to disagree on this view. Maybe I just have a weakness, a small crack in the armour for this subject...

Well there are a lot of guys who trade in their wife for a younger model. Thats 3 kids later and after her best years are really gone.
There are lots of employers that fire there faithful workers just before they qualify for thier retirement plans. Lots of companies dispose of their faithful workers for other reasons to. Mostly over money.
So if the majority thinks its okay then it must be alright. Sure haul old faithful Dobin to the Packers.
If your having problems with a younger horse there must be something wrong with the horse. Whatever you do dont seek help from a professional trainer! Much better to just haul him to the slaughter plant and search for a replacement horse that will fill in for you.
He will be shoved in a pen full of grained up scared horses. Let them fight it out before they founder. Those packer guys really care about horses. Haha Im sure the horses recieve good medical attention because the type of person that would work for a horse slaughter plant would probable be a horse inthuseast.
When there day comes the horses are lead about a dozen a time<cant remember the number anymore> into the bloody kill floor. The horses are lined up and every horse knows whats coming next.
A guy walks down the line with a gun. Bang, bang, bang, bang, etc down the line they drop one after another. Every horse watches the horse next to him getting killed and the big hooks on cables swinging the corpse of that horse away.
But heck for $300 or $400 its worth it. The majority says so on here.
Although since the packer up here is now breeding his own horses they are buying less and less from the public anyways.
I was raised to believe that if it was your horse that you where the one reasponsible for him. If you crippled the horse from starting it to young or working it to hard then it was your duty to see the end result of your handy work. None of this paying a vet to do the deed or getting paid by a packer to your job. Doesnt matter what the reason, if your horse has to be put down then I was always raised to believe that it was the owners duty as a man to do it himself. But heck im a dinosaur! Much better for owners not to see the other side of things.
As a Christian if you read your bible in revelations those Angels are riding horses. No dog angels in the bible that I know of. No chicken angels. But who am I to say that a horse has a spirit, heart or soul. If others classify a horse as livestock there is nothing I could ever say to change that.
I guess I now understand why I will never be one of these guys who drive a new pick up or pull a fancy trailer behind it.

RoperAB said:
Well there are a lot of guys who trade in their wife for a younger model. Thats 3 kids later and after her best years are really gone.
There are lots of employers that fire there faithful workers just before they qualify for thier retirement plans. Lots of companies dispose of their faithful workers for other reasons to. Mostly over money.
So if the majority thinks its okay then it must be alright. Sure haul old faithful Dobin to the Packers.
If your having problems with a younger horse there must be something wrong with the horse. Whatever you do dont seek help from a professional trainer! Much better to just haul him to the slaughter plant and search for a replacement horse that will fill in for you.
He will be shoved in a pen full of grained up scared horses. Let them fight it out before they founder. Those packer guys really care about horses. Haha Im sure the horses recieve good medical attention because the type of person that would work for a horse slaughter plant would probable be a horse inthuseast.
When there day comes the horses are lead about a dozen a time<cant remember the number anymore> into the bloody kill floor. The horses are lined up and every horse knows whats coming next.
A guy walks down the line with a gun. Bang, bang, bang, bang, etc down the line they drop one after another. Every horse watches the horse next to him getting killed and the big hooks on cables swinging the corpse of that horse away.
But heck for $300 or $400 its worth it. The majority says so on here.
Although since the packer up here is now breeding his own horses they are buying less and less from the public anyways.
I was raised to believe that if it was your horse that you where the one reasponsible for him. If you crippled the horse from starting it to young or working it to hard then it was your duty to see the end result of your handy work. None of this paying a vet to do the deed or getting paid by a packer to your job. Doesnt matter what the reason, if your horse has to be put down then I was always raised to believe that it was the owners duty as a man to do it himself. But heck im a dinosaur! Much better for owners not to see the other side of things.
As a Christian if you read your bible in revelations those Angels are riding horses. No dog angels in the bible that I know of. No chicken angels. But who am I to say that a horse has a spirit, heart or soul. If others classify a horse as livestock there is nothing I could ever say to change that.
I guess I now understand why I will never be one of these guys who drive a new pick up or pull a fancy trailer behind it.

Sure haul old faithful Dobin to the Packers.

For every faithful old Dobin there are ten plain old ordinary horses.

Chances are, if a person is having problems with a younger horse, that person will still have problems with that horse even after spending a substantial amount of money hiring a trainer. The owner could just as well save time and money, sell the first horse to someone who can get along with it, and buy a gentle more suitable horse for what they need.

There is so much expense and time involved in breeding and raising horses, that I am doubtful that packers actually have a program of doing so for just the horse meat market. There are enough horses already available of the size and age needed, for sale cheap, that there would be no reason for them to take the risks involved in raising horses strictly for meat.

I was raised to believe that if it was your horse that you where the one reasponsible for him. If you crippled the horse from starting it to young or working it to hard then it was your duty to see the end result of your handy work. None of this paying a vet to do the deed or getting paid by a packer to your job. Doesnt matter what the reason, if your horse has to be put down then I was always raised to believe that it was the owners duty as a man to do it himself.

Here is a question for you, RoperAB. Do you never sell a horse? Do you take every horse that you ever owned and own it until it dies? Then if it is suffering, do you put it down, or do you just let it suffer until it dies?

I have owned several hundred horses total through the years. Very few ever became near and dear enough to actually be considered almost a member of the family. I have always tried to take the best care possible of all of these horses, and they have always had plenty of grass and water, and hay when the snow gets deep. Each of these horses is for sale at the right price. Some horses I even lose money on, but they have a good home here until someone else buys them. That is where I figure my moral obligation ends. I would rather sell an old horse to a packer than I would sell a horse to someone who wouldn't adequately feed and care for them.

If others classify a horse as livestock there is nothing I could ever say to change that. I guess I now understand why I will never be one of these guys who drive a new pick up or pull a fancy trailer behind it.

This is irrevelant to the arguement at hand.

I do respect you, RoperAB, but I just don't agree with you on this particular topic. Trust me on this one, there will be much more long-term suffering in the horse world if packers can't process unusable horses into meat. Have a good day.

Well said, Soapweed. I'm not too wild on the thought of horse packers either, but they serve a purpose, and we would not be better off without them.

I have to agree with Soap and the others-- I've seen many a horse that would have been/was better off going to the Packer....

you said
For every faithful old Dobin there are ten plain old ordinary horses.

Ordinary"Dude" horses are created by their owners. You have to change your program to fit the horse.
I guess that says something about the wealth of today. Years ago you had to take the cards thaty was delt to you. Now a days most just look for an easier horse that will make them look like a hero.
Dont get me wrong, not every horse will make a top reiner. But the majority of horses are capible of more than what there non pro handler could ever use.

you said
Chances are, if a person is having problems with a younger horse, that person will still have problems with that horse even after spending a substantial amount of money hiring a trainer. The owner could just as well save time and money, sell the first horse to someone who can get along with it, and buy a gentle more suitable horse for what they need.

Thats why I said the owner should go to the trainer. To just send the horse is a waste of time. Ask any pro trainer and he will tell you that most of his business goes like this. The owner creates the problem, the trainer fixes the problem. The owner gets the horse back and creates another problem or the same problem all over again. The trainer fixes the horse again, then the owner gets the horse back and scews it up again and the whole process keeps going because the problem isnt the horse. Its the non pro who owns him.
Trainers also dont have to cost a fortune. I did barn chores for trainers to get lessons from them. To this day I still go to trainers. My trainer himself even goes to other trainers<clinics>. Nobody ever lives long enough to learn everything there is to know about training horses.

you said
There is so much expense and time involved in breeding and raising horses, that I am doubtful that packers actually have a program of doing so for just the horse meat market. There are enough horses already available of the size and age needed, for sale cheap, that there would be no reason for them to take the risks involved in raising horses strictly for meat.

Yeah except that the market has been so flooded up here for the last several years that the packer is thinking a head of time. Like I said before. The PMU industry is on its way out.

you said
Here is a question for you, RoperAB. Do you never sell a horse? Do you take every horse that you ever owned and own it until it dies? Then if it is suffering, do you put it down, or do you just let it suffer until it dies?

After reading this thread, no. Im no longer training for other people. I dont have a clue what im going to do but whatever it is I will not be training and selling horses to others. Your thinking im full of crap but its the Gods honest truth :(

You said
I have owned several hundred horses total through the years. Very few ever became near and dear enough to actually be considered almost a member of the family. I have always tried to take the best care possible of all of these horses, and they have always had plenty of grass and water, and hay when the snow gets deep. Each of these horses is for sale at the right price. Some horses I even lose money on, but they have a good home here until someone else buys them. That is where I figure my moral obligation ends. I would rather sell an old horse to a packer than I would sell a horse to someone who wouldn't adequately feed and care for them.

I never sold a horse knowingly to a bad home. I consider the packers a bad home as well as some non pro. I always screened my buyers. I never sold to just anybody.

You said
I do respect you, RoperAB, but I just don't agree with you on this particular topic. Trust me on this one, there will be much more long-term suffering in the horse world if packers can't process unusable horses into meat. Have a good day.

I think your a good guy to. But I think you are trying to justify something that you know deep down inside of you is really wrong.
Doing the right thing is hardly ever the easiest or most profitable thing to do.

Here is a question for all of you. How many of you have ever been in a horse slaughter plant?

I've never been to a slaughter plant, nor do I intend to go. My old faithfuls stay here until they die (are put down), but the ones who don't make the cut go. I've seen a 'professional trainer' who is far crueler, day in and day out, than a slaughter plant could ever be. I would imagine quite a few of his horses end up in Fort Macleod, as once that fear response is built up so high, its hard to get past it. Thank goodness there are better trainers out there, but there is more than one form of cruelty, if you look for it, and one is not necessarily more evil than the other.

DJL
That trainer sounds like someone who catters to the "dude" market. Force turns out the lifeless, braced, mouth wide open type of horse most non horseman want.

Lets talk about the transport from the auction mart to the slaughter house.
Sometimes they can be in the liner for more than 24 hours without rest, water or food in trailers that provide little protection from weather extremes. They are often forced onto double-decked cattle trailers<liners> with ceilings so low they injure their heads. Many horses injured, lame, pregnant or blind it doesnt matter they are all packed into the trailer. Downed animals are unable to rise and you all know what they are going to look like on the other end. Have any of you seen what a thick skined, heavy boned bull looks like when he is forced out of a liner with ceilings that are to low? I have seen it more than once at the auction mart where I used to work. Imagine what these horses look like.
Then you have workers using electric prods, poke and beat the horses' faces, necks, backs and legs as they are shoved through the facility and eventually into the kill box which I have already describedin other posts.

What about horse thieves? What a great place to liquidate stolen horses. Take them to the buyers hidden yards, get the cash and then they are processed before you know it.

Soapweed
It amazes me that Christians would support an industry that goes against the teachings of the bible. Remember it tells us in the bible that your not sapposed to eat hoofed animals that do not have a split hoof.

RoperAB said:
DJL
That trainer sounds like someone who catters to the "dude" market. Force turns out the lifeless, braced, mouth wide open type of horse most non horseman want.

Sometimes they can be in the liner for more than 24 hours without rest, water or food in trailers that provide little protection from weather extremes. They are often forced onto double-decked cattle trailers<liners> with ceilings so low they injure their heads. Many horses injured, lame, pregnant or blind it doesnt matter they are all packed into the trailer. Downed animals are unable to rise and you all know what they are going to look like on the other end. Have any of you seen what a thick skined, heavy boned bull looks like when he is forced out of a liner with ceilings that are to low? I have seen it more than once at the auction mart where I used to work. Imagine what these horses look like.
Then you have workers using electric prods, poke and beat the horses' faces, necks, backs and legs as they are shoved through the facility and eventually into the kill box which I have already describedin other posts.

What about horse thieves? What a great place to liquidate stolen horses. Take them to the buyers hidden yards, get the cash and then they are processed before you know it.

Soapweed
It amazes me that Christians would support an industry that goes against the teachings of the bible. Remember it tells us in the bible that your not sapposed to eat hoofed animals that do not have a split hoof.

Roper I don't want to argue with you as I can tell your passionate about your horses. I think most that have posted on here in favor of horse packers will also support humane handling of those horses. Most of us ranchers have grown up with stock and care for them but I have seen horse starve because people wouldn't do the right thing ie. ship or have it put down. I also saw a program about these people adopting some of these PMU mares when the contracts were being dropped, Some of these horses found a far worse life then when they were on the line.

A real good "letter to the editor" concerning horse slaughter is in the Tri-State Livestock News, in the Saturday, August 19, 2006 edition. It was written by Paxton Ramsey from Devers, Texas. I am not going to type all of it, but will hit a few of his points. The following is excerpts from Mr. Ramsey's letter.

Stories are told about horses being stolen, abused and mistreated during transport to slaughter. But we already have laws against these practices that cover all horses, not just those destined for processing.

We can deal with mistreatment of horses under laws already on the books, without passing a horse-slaughter ban. I believe eliminating the processing of horses as a management option actually poses a risk to horse welfare.

At the hearing, the Ag Committee heard witnesses, including horse welfare and veterinary experts, discuss the options for handling as many as 90,000 unwanted or abandoned horses that will have to be cared for. They discussed the costs related to this care, the unintented mistreatment of these animals in non-regulated rescue facilities, and the environmental concerns of disposing of horse carcasses. The Committee feels that HR 503 fails to address any of these issues.

The most compelling reason for cattlemen to oppose HR 503 is that it sets a drastic and dangerous precedent for regulating animal agriculture. The bill basically says that you can follow all regulations to the letter in terms of humane treatment, transport and processing, but we're still going to ban horse slaughter simply because some people find the practice disturbing. If we allow that to happen, what's next? If we let our likes and dislikes determine animals' eligibility for slaugher, production agriculture is in really big trouble. While all this may all seem like common sense to cattlemen, I can tell you that's not the case for the folks on Capitol Hill.

Members of Congress are being bombarded by those who want horse slaughter banned. So far, 203 members of the House have signed onto the bill as co-sponsors, and it only takes 218 representatives to guarantee passage into the House.

The cattle industry needs your help as we approach a crucial September vote on this bill. This is a great time to contact your representatives and let them know that HR 503 is a huge threat to your livelihood, and that we can't let the emotions of a few drive our nation's agriculture policy.

If there's one thing my visit to Washington D.C. really drove home, it's that this is a very tough vote for members of Congress. They know the impact on agriculture is mostly long-term, while the ire of the bill's proponents will be hositile and immediate. If cattlemen get complacent on this issue, it's going to be too easy for congressmen to let emotion carry the day when they cast their votes.

Make it a point today to get to a town hall meeting, make a phone call, or send a letter or e-mail to your congressman asking for a "No" vote on HR 503.

Paxton Ramsey
Devers, Texas

I just dont see how protecting horses from COMMERCIAL SLAUGHTER is a threat to the cow/calf guy. If anything if people stopped eating horse meat this could only help the beef industry because they will be looking to eat other forms of protein such as beef. This could be a great way to expand the beef market.
You know they dont allow and will never allow the commercial slaughter of dogs and cats in North America. This has no effect on the cow/calf guy.

RoperAB said:
Ordinary"Dude" horses are created by their owners. You have to change your program to fit the horse. I guess that says something about the wealth of today. Years ago you had to take the cards thaty was delt to you. Now a days most just look for an easier horse that will make them look like a hero. Don't get me wrong, not every horse will make a top reiner. But the majority of horses are capible of more than what there non pro handler could ever use.

Not everyone can be a top-notch horseman, but should that prevent them from enjoying a horse ride? A few weeks ago, when we visited Jackson Hole, we had occasion to watch two groups of completely "dude" riders as their horses crossed the highway. Probably none of these people were highly competent riders, but that sure didn't stop their enjoyment in having a good time on a trail ride through beautiful mountain scenery. They enjoyed the experience much more because they were riding a dog-gentle non-performance horse than they would have on the best cutting horse in the world. They'd have been scared silly on an athletic fast moving equine. This was probably one of the few times that many of these people would ever ride a horse, period, but they were making fond memories. It all goes back to "different strokes" for different folks.

RoperAB said:
After reading this thread, no. I'm no longer training for other people. I dont have a clue what im going to do but whatever it is I will not be training and selling horses to others. Your thinking im full of crap but its the Gods honest truth :(

Please don't change your whole way of life because of some off the cuff comment I have made. Keep doing what you are doing. I'll bet you are very good as a horse trainer, and I'll bet any horse that a person buys from you would be represented in a truly honest manner.

I am just sticking up for what I believe is right, and that includes the processing of horses. There is the proverb "waste not, want not". Personally, I don't want to eat horses, but if there are people in this world that like to eat horses, far be it from me to tell them not to. Many products are made from horses, including cosmetics, medicine, and gelatin used for making jello. Pet food is made from horses, and also soap. Without animal by-products, many conveniences in our daily lives would not be possible. That is why I bring up "waste not, want not". Just dumping all of these unusable horses in a landfill would not only pre-maturely fill up the landfill, but it would eliminate the valuable by-products that are made from (I hate to be blunt, but) dead horses.

I believe in allowing others to live their life as they see fit, as long as they don't infringe on my rights. Just because there is a viable horse processing industry, doesn't mean that you or I can't bury our favorite old horses up on a hill, and have the whole community come in for a funeral service. I am not infringing on your rights to dispose of unusable horses in any way you see fit. If the ban on horse processing goes through, my "rights" to sell horses to a packing plant have been infringed upon.

If the horse packing industry goes by the wayside, will the beef industry be next? That would darned sure infringe on my very livelihood. If the bleeding heart liberal do-gooders get their toes in the door by eliminating the processing of horses, the cattle business and the rest of animal agriculture could be the next to go.

Yes, RoperAB, you are very passionate in your love for horses. I am just as passionate in my love for ranching, and desire to do anything I can to allow the ranching business to continue.

RoperAB said:
I just dont see how protecting horses from COMMERCIAL SLAUGHTER is a threat to the cow/calf guy. If anything if people stopped eating horse meat this could only help the beef industry because they will be looking to eat other forms of protein such as beef. This could be a great way to expand the beef market.
You know they dont allow and will never allow the commercial slaughter of dogs and cats in North America. This has no effect on the cow/calf guy.

Most horse meat gets shipped overseas, to markets that would probably not buy our beef anyway. Belgium and France are big buyers.

I have eaten horse meat on a few occasions, unknowingly. Back when I was in college in Chadron, Nebraska, during the 1970-1971 term, in the cafeteria at CSC we were served a pinkish sweet-tasting meat. It didn't taste terribly bad, but we joked that it was probably horse meat. A few months later, it was determined that the Chadron Meat Center had illegally sold horse meat to the college, calling it beef. With the crime uncovered, a lawsuit was filed. I am not sure what penalties the Chadron Meat Center had to pay, buy I'm pretty sure that the place was shut down.

So I am a "tainted" man. I have also eaten my share of bacon and other pork products. Since hogs don't chew their cuds, I am tainted in this respect also. These atrocities probably account for my off-the-wall viewpoints of Life. :shock:

Have a good day.

I think horse slaughter is a very necessary evil.Plain and simple.

My father is an order buyer,he attends 6 sales a week,i worked sale barns from 6 till 15,and ive seen it all.Im not saying its right,but while were at it,why dont we do somethin about the way they transport packer cows,what about all of the broken legged,bad eyed,blind,prolapsed beat down cows and bulls they shove in a double every day?Im not saying i agree with it,but why not do something about that too,oh wait,because it would cost the cow man money...So what about the man that has bought horses all his life for a living,is he really that different than a cow buyer?
The horse order buyer dosent want anything to suffer and niether does the cow man,but still the horse buyer and what he does is painted out to be so evil...Ijust dont see how one is so worse than the other,theyre both doing the same thing... In an animal rights advocate's eyes,if they can get the horse slaughter stopped,then surely they can get the more severe cattle,pig ,and whatever else slaughter banned also.Its a mudslide effect,and in my opinion,if this thing gains enough momentum,in a while we'll all be eating grass or going to jail for eating meat....just wait and see...

Oh but you say,the horse buyer will drug a horse just so they can stand the sale and transit,well its alot more than we do for any other kind of animal....and if someone wants to drag god and the bible into this,which i dont think is appropriate to question someones faith over this,we can go there.....Ecclesiastes 3:19 For the fate of people and the fate of the animals is the same.As one dies,so does the other;they all have the same breath. Pertaining to not eating an animal w/o a cloven hoof,it was also said not to eat swine,however this was in the old testament if i am not incorrect.

Me personally im not going to eat a horse out of free will,but i would rather there be somewhere to take them instead of causing a mass suffer that would SURELY occur w/o the plants.I guess it all boils down to personal beliefs and morals.If it were up to me,id keep them around,and do my best to tighten up some loose ends in all livestock markets,maybe even equip some of the larger markets w/ processing facilities,or something similar,therefor reducing transit on weakend,injured animals,but what do i know...

just $0.02 from a 17 year old,it aint worth much but its all i got.

ropesanddogs said:
I think horse slaughter is a very necessary evil.Plain and simple.

My father is an order buyer,he attends 6 sales a week,i worked sale barns from 6 till 15,and ive seen it all.Im not saying its right,but while were at it,why dont we do somethin about the way they transport packer cows,what about all of the broken legged,bad eyed,blind,prolapsed beat down cows and bulls they shove in a double every day?Im not saying i agree with it,but why not do something about that too,oh wait,because it would cost the cow man money...So what about the man that has bought horses all his life for a living,is he really that different than a cow buyer?
The horse order buyer dosent want anything to suffer and niether does the cow man,but still the horse buyer and what he does is painted out to be so evil...Ijust dont see how one is so worse than the other,theyre both doing the same thing... In an animal rights advocate's eyes,if they can get the horse slaughter stopped,then surely they can get the more severe cattle,pig ,and whatever else slaughter banned also.Its a mudslide effect,and in my opinion,if this thing gains enough momentum,in a while we'll all be eating grass or going to jail for eating meat....just wait and see...

Oh but you say,the horse buyer will drug a horse just so they can stand the sale and transit,well its alot more than we do for any other kind of animal....and if someone wants to drag god and the bible into this,which i dont think is appropriate to question someones faith over this,we can go there.....Ecclesiastes 3:19 For the fate of people and the fate of the animals is the same.As one dies,so does the other;they all have the same breath. Pertaining to not eating an animal w/o a cloven hoof,it was also said not to eat swine,however this was in the old testament if i am not incorrect.

Me personally im not going to eat a horse out of free will,but i would rather there be somewhere to take them instead of causing a mass suffer that would SURELY occur w/o the plants.I guess it all boils down to personal beliefs and morals.If it were up to me,id keep them around,and do my best to tighten up some loose ends in all livestock markets,maybe even equip some of the larger markets w/ processing facilities,or something similar,therefor reducing transit on weakend,injured animals,but what do i know...

just $0.02 from a 17 year old,it aint worth much but its all i got.

17 or 70 that was well said Ropesanddogs you have your feet firmly planted on the ground and your head on straight. I agree 110%.

More plants around the country would reduce transit time but with these plants closing it is just making things worse.

Latest posts