• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan to ease all-cow mad cow testing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
1. Japan to ease all-cow mad cow testing Aug.1 (Kyodo 07/01/2005)

The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry revised a bylaw Friday to ease Japan's blanket testing of cows for mad cow disease starting Aug. 1, ministry official said.

The change in the bylaw under a special law on measures on mad cow disease will set out a new standard requiring testing only slaughtered cattle over 20 months of age for the brain-wasting disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

The standard will be eased in line with a proposal made in May by the Food Safety Commission of the Cabinet Office calling on the government to ease the blanket testing.

The panel endorsed an expert task force recommendation in March that cattle slaughtered at 20 months of age or younger be excluded from tests for mad cow disease, saying even if young cattle are excluded from the test, ''a resultant increase in BSE risks in meats will be extremely low.''

Japan banned imports of Canadian beef in May 2003 and of U.S. beef in December 2003 after the discovery of the first cases of the disease in the two countries.

After finding its own first case of mad cow disease in September 2001, Japan began testing all domestically slaughtered cows before their meat entered the market. It required foreign-raised cattle bound for Japan to be similarly tested.

Finally the Japs have heard the voice of reasoning. Let's just hope the consumers there will be confident enough to buy North American beef if and when the ships start sailing.
Just makes me wonder now if the USDA will have the gonads to simply require cattlemen/feedlots/packers to keep a few records and identify calves.

Quote: "The change in the bylaw under a special law on measures on mad cow disease will set out a new standard requiring testing only slaughtered cattle over 20 months of age for the brain-wasting disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy."

Quote: "The panel endorsed an expert task force recommendation in March that cattle slaughtered at 20 months of age or younger be excluded from tests for mad cow disease, saying even if young cattle are excluded from the test, ''a resultant increase in BSE risks in meats will be extremely low.''"

Wait a minute, Sandman said Japan wanted tested beef and were willing to pay for the testing? Are you suggesting Sandman was wrong again?

~SH~

Yup, and www.scoringag.com is the only point-to-point traceback system that can let the Japanese read the details in Japan as Mike Posted(Just makes me wonder now if the USDA will have the gonads to simply require cattlemen/feedlots/packers to keep a few records and identify calves).

~SH~ said:
Quote: "The change in the bylaw under a special law on measures on mad cow disease will set out a new standard requiring testing only slaughtered cattle over 20 months of age for the brain-wasting disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy."

Quote: "The panel endorsed an expert task force recommendation in March that cattle slaughtered at 20 months of age or younger be excluded from tests for mad cow disease, saying even if young cattle are excluded from the test, ''a resultant increase in BSE risks in meats will be extremely low.''"

Wait a minute, Sandman said Japan wanted tested beef and were willing to pay for the testing? Are you suggesting Sandman was wrong again?

~SH~

Instead of flapping your lips, would you care to flap open your wallet and bet me?

The problem is the Japanese government is not the ones buying beef. The Japansese Consumer is the one who has to buy into the testing rules. I'm not so sure they are convinced.

Mike said:
Finally the Japs have heard the voice of reasoning. Let's just hope the consumers there will be confident enough to buy North American beef if and when the ships start sailing.
Just makes me wonder now if the USDA will have the gonads to simply require cattlemen/feedlots/packers to keep a few records and identify calves.

The consumers will return to U.S. beef. Some feedyards and plants are already certified under the BEV program. Others will initially qualify under the A40 carcass guidelines.

Mike said:

BTW, was the voice of reason R-calf or the NCBA and their packer associates? Just could not resist.

agman said:
Mike said:

The consumers will return to U.S. beef. Some feedyards and plants are already certified under the BEV program. Others will initially qualify under the A40 carcass guidelines.

I have been hearing the Japs are not gonna accept the A40 Carcass business because it does not designate Chronological age. Only Physiological age.
The cattle will be source and date verified only. Might be a rumor?
In that case the BEV program needs to fly. Fast.

Voice of reasoning? Wasn't Penn!

Mike said:
agman said:
Mike said:

I have been hearing the Japs are not gonna accept the A40 Carcass business because it does not designate Chronological age. Only Physiological age.
The cattle will be source and date verified only. Might be a rumor?
In that case the BEV program needs to fly. Fast.

Voice of reasoning? Wasn't Penn!

Wrong, A40 will be a go.

This is also a part of the email that came about Japan

It appears that Canadian beef derived from untested cattle verified to be less than 21 months of age may be allowed for import by Japan later this year - perhaps in October. Please note that exports of beef derived from cattle verified to be over 20 months of age and from cattle whose age can not be verified will not be allowed for import by Japan in the foreseeable future. This means that over 90-95% of Canada's federally-inspected processed beef will not likely be eligible for export to Japan on the basis of this regulation change until mid-2006 or possibly into 2007.
Work is proceeding on developing a carcasses physiology assessment method for determining the maximum age of specific cattle slaughtered in Canada. The USA is promoting their "A40" system as an alternative to providing documentary proof on the age of individual cattle. The "A40" system is claimed to identify carcasses derived from cattle less than 17 months of age (most are15-16 months, with youngest being 12 months). This system, if adopted in Canada and approved by Japan would likely allow up to 20% of federally inspected processed beef to be eligible for export to Japan. It appears that there is significant opposition to this approach within Japan's regulatory and political leadership. It also appears that there is significant opposition to this approach from Japan's consumer associations. It is not known when or if the Japanese government may approve use of carcass physiology assessment as an alternative for individual animal identification and birth date verification.

Agman, "BTW, was the voice of reason R-calf or the NCBA and their packer associates? Just could not resist."

The "NCBA and their packer associates" policy has caused us to leave over 2 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in Japan, have us on the edge of a trade war, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of Japanese consumers.

Sorry, I just could not resist, either.

Sandman: "Instead of flapping your lips, would you care to flap open your wallet and bet me?"

Your computer can detect flapping lips? I'm impressed! What am I doing now? Really? You can actually see that finger? LOL!

Sandman: "The problem is the Japanese government is not the ones buying beef. The Japansese Consumer is the one who has to buy into the testing rules. I'm not so sure they are convinced."

Ah what's wrong Sandman? Science winning out over food safety PERCEPTION again? Sucks to be you huh?

Sandman: "The "NCBA and their packer associates" policy has caused us to leave over 2 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in Japan, have us on the edge of a trade war, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of Japanese consumers."

First, you don't know if the Japanese parliament would have allowed tested beef to be imported. Mere speculation on your part.

Second, why are you worried about our export markets. Bullard isn't! Is this another thing you guys disagree about?

Third, how the heck can you be worried about being on the edge of a trade war WHEN YOUR CHOSEN ORGANIZATION LIED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF CANADIAN BEEF.

Fourth, how the heck did the USDA severely damage our products image to the Japanese consumers WHEN YOUR CHOSEN ORGANIZATION HAS LED THE BSE "FEAR MONGERING" CHARGE!

Lick your wounds!

~SH~

Sandhusker wrote:
"The "NCBA and their packer associates" policy has caused us to leave over 2 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in Japan, have us on the edge of a trade war, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of Japanese consumers.

Canadian losses are 7 billion (and the tally rises daily). Our herd is 1/7 th the size of yours: 7 Billion x 7 = 49 billion

Considering recent posts referring to r-calf's statements: http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2941

snip

Bullard is the executive director of R-CALF USA, a maverick organization of ranchers fighting to keep the U.S. border closed to Canadian cattle......

Bullard argues that the border needs to remain sealed .......

But he is also quick to remind ranchers of a more practical benefit: In the two years since the U.S. border was sealed, beef prices for American ranchers have never been higher........

"You are now being rewarded in the best functioning industry you've seen in at least 15 years," Bullard said .......

Just 7 years old, R-CALF is reaping the benefits of soaring beef prices and growing protectionist sentiments among ranchers and farmers, as evidenced by mounting concerns about the flood of agricultural imports ....

But it was R-CALF's successful legal action to stop the USDA's efforts to reopen the U.S. border to Canadian cattle that ignited its popularity with ranchers.........
..etc

end snip

I think, I as a Canadian livestock/beef producer can safely say:

The "R-calf and their anti-beef associates" policy has caused us to leave over 7 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in previous export markets, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of all consumers who have listened to their messages about the Canadian Industry (which by the way can be applied to your US industry also, as the USA has a native case)

In perspective (herd sizes) how does $49 billion sound Sandhusker?

SH, "First, you don't know if the Japanese parliament would have allowed tested beef to be imported. Mere speculation on your part."

I'm specualting that they would and you're speculating that they won't. It wouldn't cost anything to find out. If I'm right, we're back in business, not leaving that $175/hd on the table. If you're right, we got a free shot and can eliminate a possibility.

SH, "Second, why are you worried about our export markets. Bullard isn't! Is this another thing you guys disagree about?"

Why do feel it necessary that I agree with Bullard on everything? If I agree with him, you label me a R-CALF clone, if I disagree you think you've found a nickel. BTW, Bullard is on the record of being for fair trade.

SH, "Third, how the heck can you be worried about being on the edge of a trade war WHEN YOUR CHOSEN ORGANIZATION LIED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF CANADIAN BEEF."

I've asked you to prove R-CALF wrong, but you can't do it. Once again, SH, what is the prevelance of BSE in the Canadian herd?

SH, "Fourth, how the heck did the USDA severely damage our products image to the Japanese consumers WHEN YOUR CHOSEN ORGANIZATION HAS LED THE BSE "FEAR MONGERING" CHARGE!"

Nice try on deflecting the blame to someone else, but gee, SH, have you noticed what started all the recent bad press? Sit down on your milk stool and think real hard.

You're flopping more than a bass on ice. First you moan that R-CALF is going to turn consumers against beef, then you claim that the media doesn't hold them credible, and now you're back to wailing about them. Please let us know for future reference if people listen to R-CALF or not - and then stick to your position.

Sandhusker wrote:
You're flopping more than a bass on ice. First you moan that R-CALF is going to turn consumers against beef, then you claim that the media doesn't hold them credible, and now you're back to wailing about them. Please let us know for future reference if people listen to R-CALF or not - and then stick to your position.

The media may not hold them as a credible source but that doesn't stop r-calf from releasing their own news reports: 112 of them from Jan 01, 2005 (as per their R-CALF USA News Releases and Statements) and does not include the flyers distributed, display advs (!!), or any counted under their other categories.

Compared to: (also from their web site)
"R-CALF USA In the News
Here's the buzz - newspaper, magazine, and radio coverage of R-CALF USA across the nation. .... I found 3 items listed for independent newspaper, magazine, and radio coverage of R-CALF USA's activities across the nation."
They must not have deemed the others worthy to list under that category.

SSAP, "In perspective (herd sizes) how does $49 billion sound Sandhusker?"

If you are trying to use herd size as a perspective, you would also have to say you have to say you have the equivalent of 28 cases of BSE in your native herd (4 x 7). Are you comfortable with that?

S.S.A.P. said:
Sandhusker wrote:
"The "NCBA and their packer associates" policy has caused us to leave over 2 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in Japan, have us on the edge of a trade war, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of Japanese consumers.

Canadian losses are 7 billion (and the tally rises daily). Our herd is 1/7 th the size of yours: 7 Billion x 7 = 49 billion

Considering recent posts referring to r-calf's statements: http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2941

snip

Bullard is the executive director of R-CALF USA, a maverick organization of ranchers fighting to keep the U.S. border closed to Canadian cattle......

Bullard argues that the border needs to remain sealed .......

But he is also quick to remind ranchers of a more practical benefit: In the two years since the U.S. border was sealed, beef prices for American ranchers have never been higher........

"You are now being rewarded in the best functioning industry you've seen in at least 15 years," Bullard said .......

Just 7 years old, R-CALF is reaping the benefits of soaring beef prices and growing protectionist sentiments among ranchers and farmers, as evidenced by mounting concerns about the flood of agricultural imports ....

But it was R-CALF's successful legal action to stop the USDA's efforts to reopen the U.S. border to Canadian cattle that ignited its popularity with ranchers.........
..etc

end snip

I think, I as a Canadian livestock/beef producer can safely say:

The "R-calf and their anti-beef associates" policy has caused us to leave over 7 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in previous export markets, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of all consumers who have listened to their messages about the Canadian Industry (which by the way can be applied to your US industry also, as the USA has a native case)

In perspective (herd sizes) how does $49 billion sound Sandhusker?

Sandhusker responded:
If you are trying to use herd size as a perspective, you would also have to say you have to say you have the equivalent of 28 cases of BSE in your native herd (4 x 7). Are you comfortable with that?

I admit to opening myself up to your response.... point taken
As of today, we haven't found 28 cases (even using WB and with a current testing ratio above yours), but we do realize the $ 7 billion loss to our industry
My point was giving r-calf the credit they feel is due to them (closed Canadian border), as per their latest statement from Texas and referenced in my previous post:
"The "R-calf and their anti-beef associates" policy has caused us to leave over 7 BILLION dollars on the table (and the tally rises daily), have allowed our competition to gain a considerable foothold in previous export markets, and has severely damaged our product's image in the eyes of all consumers who have listened to their messages about the Canadian Industry (which by the way can be applied to your US industry also, as the USA has a native case)"

Latest posts