• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Loos Angus Cow Herd dispersal and more...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Katrina I've been called worse lol. If they're feeding their bulls in a feedlot Jason how does that make them the 'best' cowboy ranch. I do know that I have to bid against the biggest cowboy ranch in Canada where I get my bulls so that should tell you something about what they look for. Like Katrina said-god bless her heart-if you are luckly enough to find a bull supplier who raises them the way you like you better stick with him. for someone who calves April/may it's pretty hard to buy bulls from a winter calver-the cowherds are managed completely different. Mind you if your cows are calving in January and breeding off the grass in April send me a catalogue because I'm interested. One thing though if you are at a master feeders you might as well buy a fat one-anything you see that's lean on a heavy grain diet is truly sorry. I was looking through some bull test bulls once and a breeder trotted a 'lean' one by me-he looked like Keith Richards on a bad day.

I have switched back to private sales. I held my own auction at the farm for a few years and was getting beat up on the calves. Guys were looking at the actual weights and wanted the 1100 pounders in December.

I would keep them for 2's and do pretty well, PFRA would buy the 2's but not the calves.

The best I did was $8400 on a bull that should have went to an A.I stud, but I didn't have a show reputation. The guy from Alta was at the sale but didn't even wave his hand.

I had quite a time with the auctioneer and ringmen, they wanted to play games but I tried to run a 100% honest, no rafter bids sale. They got caught running up a customer from Nebraska by me and I fired the ringman. The auctioneer was upset but came back for the next 2 sales.

I had repeat customers that placed orders with me for cattle, and 1 sale, I only sold 4 head to bidders in the seats. What was the point of spending 10K to host an event where you make almost no extra income?

Since returning to private sales, I have sold out the yearling pen and not had to keep 2's. I quit doing ultrasound, epds, early weaning, catalogues and advertising, and I took a 300 to 500 dollar drop in average price. I don't miss the sales at all.

Jason how many 'show' bulls did Alta EVER market in the last ten years-give me a break. I've been involved with the company since it was Western Breeders through the change to Alta and now to Genex-there's been some cattle that were shown that they've added to their lineup but it sure as heck isn't the sole criteria. Post the bulls pic-data and pedigree and I'll give you my opinion why maybe they didn't purchase him at 'THAT' time-maybe he was a head of his time or something but don't blow smoke about having to show cattle to get in an A'I stud.

I wish it was that easy. I just got lucky is all-but if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard a story like Jason's I wouldn't have to work anymore. That Hereford's sire is dead and gone with no more semen left-he'd worked well for me and my customers so when I found the son I liked off him I bought him. Not saying Jason's bull isn't good but I am saying that not being a show guy wasn't the reason. Being a sire selector isn't the world's easiest job either.

Actually Sandy if you did some research you would see that there alot of people who have cattle (bulls) that are very active in Genex and ABS... Makes sense don't it.... Who else but people who have a stake in this buisness to make the calls...... Do you think that the people on the AQHA board don't have the same interest??? Or APHA??? Jeeze get real!!!!

Northern, that was the reason the buyer gave. I thought it was pretty lame as did several attendees of the sale.

The bull was a son of Hoff Tradition.

This link should work for pedigree and epd's

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=20213329&2=2434&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C242227252E23&9=5B525D

As it turned out he wouldn't freeze semen, so I guess it was for the best a stud didn't get him.

His actual scan data was ribeye 12.8 , marbling 4.7 fat thickness .27

bw 86lbs Aug 31 /00 by June he weighed 962 and by Sept 24 he weighed 1464. The ultrasound would have been done on that Sept date.

I have the catalogue pic but need to figure out how to scan it in.

Jason I have had much the same experience with auctioneers,ringmen, and the traditional sale approach. In 2005 we switched to sending out a catalogue with the prices listed on the bulls. We have an open house /sale in march. If there is more than one interested party on the sale day bidding opens to those parties only. Any bulls not sold at the sale remain for sale at the catalogue price. This has worked very well for us. We may loose some of the hoopla and reaction bidding, but our customers do not have to deal with rafter bids and ringmen running the bulls to the pass out price. Another advantage is that we usually have a few of the top priced bulls left over for after sale buyers. It prevents a snow storm or BSE announcement from causing the best bulls to sell for cheap and the lower dollar bulls being passed. We find that all the lower priced bulls usually sell at the open house.

Nothing turns people off than getting run by a 'ringworm'-you guys selling private treaty like that are probably better off in the long run. It's hard to say on your bull Jason but it could of been the pedigree-i don't think they've ever had a Hoff bred bull in their lineup for whatever reason. Back when I calved early and really was into performance I used the old Hoff Validictorian bull from ABS-they'd grow out of their hides too. When I'm critiquing the companies lineup I tend to just look at what works in my own little world but guess they're selecting bulls that are going to be used worldwide. I know they've had bulls that they've sold gallons of semen on in Brazil etc that you wouldn't use in North America. Probably ninety percent of my sales will come from two or three bulls-most of my customers are commercial guys and will use a bull year after year if he works.

Jeeze katrina that was kinda my point. If I had bought NR bull do ya think genex would be knocking down my door wanting to sell semen. Me thinks not. It's a good deal for NR but it's tuff for the little guy with no name or connections to get noticed. Even though his cattle, like Jasons are just as good or maybe even better.

I disagree with some of your assumptions. We are neither a large operation or employed by, or associated with any semen sales company. Three years ago Semex came out and purchased a bull from our sale.
(WJW Double U Freedom Fog)

If they purchased your bull you are aren't ya??? Who's semex I've never heard of them???Did you sell alot of semen? Never heard of the bull either...... What breed is that elwapo?

Guessing a Gelbvieh...

Semex is a Canadian company..www.semexusa.com is their US website.

website for him

http://www.semex.com/di/beef/semex.cgi?lang=en&beef=view&breed=GE&av=&view=143&sid=1169679045RK

thanks IL. See an absolute nobody can get lucky Katrina. They drew a pile of semen on him. Dont know how much they have sold as I didnt retain a semen share. I have used him and he has sired some real easey fleshing calves that do well in our conditions. My daughter has a 4-H heifer out of him due to calve any day now

Well elwapo, you were an absolute nothing (I don't think you were, you obviously had at least some reputation of having nice animals in the breed but compared to (Insert giant Angus Stud here) you are right) but you aren't anymore to some extent... His mom looks like she was a real nice cow and the calf on the webpage looks pretty solid... I am really starting to warm to those Gelbviehs....

Really liked those that you posed earlier this month, you have a nice herd.

Latest posts