• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Loos Angus Cow Herd dispersal and more...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

el wapo congrats. You have a good looking set of Gelbvieh cattle, from what you post here. You should be proud.

Katrina and others....there are lots of relatively unknowns who have bulls picked up by semen studs all the time. Our place is a good example of it. We (our partners and us) sold a very proven bull to ABS a little over a year ago. It happened to be the first bull we've had at a stud for a LONG, LONG, LONG TIME. For the most part both of us deal more in the circles of commercial cattlemen than in the circles of registered cattlemen, and both operations are long established outfits. Ours in Red Angus, theirs in Hereford until about 10 years ago, and they now have both Hereford and Red Angus.

You have to remember that if a company or individual in any business develops a good relationship with another, they're likely to be back. I'm sure that is one reason why some breeders have a lot of cattle in a particular stud. It seems that once with a semen company, if they like dealing with you, they'll look again. On the flip side, if they don't have a good experience it will a tough sell to get them to come look again. And, I'm not necessarily talking about cattle, but people. We've flat been told by one company that they don't really like dealing with another breeder (who we asked if they'd consider partnering on a bull with.)

My point to this is that you have to promote, prepare and present your cattle well. Further, you have to know who you're dealing with. We've found Semen companies don't like to be called, they'd rather be emailed, and don't do it a day before the sale. There are lots of spring sales...they don't generally have time to just pop over!!! And, with lots of things you have to know the right person at the right place. We're very humbled that ABS chose to do business with us, and we'll do our best to keep that relationship a good one.

One last thing to remember, is that the larger semen companies do the bulk of their business in the dairy world--like well over 90% of their sales--so you have to have a bull that fits the mold of what they think they need. When working with a companies with that much dairy influence, the numbers, as in EPDs, had better line up with the stars, or the companies likely won't even nibble, much less bite.

Again, congrats to elwapo and NR.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

All I'm going to say is that it's a cheap blow to NR to say that the only reason his bull made sire is because he works for the company.. Cuddles to everyone who has a bull, but don't cheapen it cause NR sells semen.

It's OK Katrina-it's pretty funny to think that a hick from the sticks would have that much influence lol. I'll let my wee Hereford bully stand on his own merits lol.

I didn't mean that because you work for genex , thats the only reason your bull made stud NR. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings. He wouldn't be there if he wasn't worthy. My genex book came today and for a hereford he looks good. But I still say working for genex helped, nothing wrong with that. You most likely paid your dues. Do you think ya could call off your girlfriend now? :wink:

TTB - By the looks of a certain Major League son Lazy Ace sent a pic of, I could see your stud bull list grow this spring!

Latest posts