• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Next HOT breed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
katrina said:
cab is a scam.. I can prove it...We had first hand experiance.They forgot to put the tag on the brisket so they just cab them all.. :roll: Yeah Ot you would like that!!

Katrina- did you give back the premium payment/profits you got from those you didn't think should be certified CAB :???:

I've never had to worry about being part of a fraud or scam- as our cattle ALL meet the black angus requirement...

What is the requirement? When I was in college Irsik and Doll said 51% black hide was the only requirement. At that rate how many Holsteins qualify. FY! that was spring of 04.

Not trying to be smart wanting to learn.

There is no requirement that either the sire or dam be any percentage Angus. All the requirements deal with is what the carcasses grades, oh and that it is supposed to be "Angus" :wink: :wink:. Of course, who is to really say what Angus is today? Far be it from me to suggest that "Purebred" Angus might have a touch of something else in them.
Unfortunately the hide color is real hard to tell when it is off so there is quite a bit of rolling carcasses CAB that shouldn't "qualify." It is a very successful marketing scheme that at best is misleading the consumer. At least with the Hereford program there is a physical requirement that would make it impossible to qualify without having Hereford in them.

The British scheme requiers all cattle marketed as "Aberdeen Angus" to have been sired by a pedigree Angus bull. This at least guarentees the product to be what it is supposed to be and the Angus breeders stimulate their market for bulls and semen.

rancherfred said:
There is no requirement that either the sire or dam be any percentage Angus. All the requirements deal with is what the carcasses grades, oh and that it is supposed to be "Angus" :wink: :wink:. Of course, who is to really say what Angus is today? Far be it from me to suggest that "Purebred" Angus might have a touch of something else in them.
Unfortunately the hide color is real hard to tell when it is off so there is quite a bit of rolling carcasses CAB that shouldn't "qualify." It is a very successful marketing scheme that at best is misleading the consumer. At least with the Hereford program there is a physical requirement that would make it impossible to qualify without having Hereford in them.

I know of more then 1 bunch of Longhorns that have been paid CAB premiums.

LazyWP said:
rancherfred said:

Undoubtedly the best meat they have ever gotten.... :lol:

Jinglebob said:
LazyWP said:
rancherfred said:

I like Longhorn meat, if the critters are fed right, BUT, my favorite is Kbar2's LimmyXRedAngus. Now that is GOOOOOODDDDDD EATIN

I'm not sure about the protocol now but at Cargill in High River Canada, my wife used to work there as a inspector. They had a guy who could barely speak english and if it was black it got a angus stamp might have changed now.

Great marketing scheme though , but has it gone to far can you really call Mcdonalds a premium market those angus burgers are the worst fast food i've ate. My favourite is the angus weiner though, not enough lipps and @@@holes angus the next best thing. To me the've pushed it to the point where its just becoming commodity beef.

LazyWP said:
Jinglebob said:
LazyWP said:

I like Longhorn meat, if the critters are fed right, BUT, my favorite is Kbar2's LimmyXRedAngus. Now that is GOOOOOODDDDDD EATIN
I have eaten good and bad in about all breed types. I think there is more difference with in each breed as between the breeds. The thing about CAB, is that the people can identify with it. They "think" it is superior. Maybe so, but maybe like McDonalds hamburgers, one tastes just like the last one. Doesn't mean it's great, but it is consistent. At least up north anyway. I ate one at5 the airport in Huston and it was weird. Not really bad, but tasted different than any I have eaten up here. When the kids were stationed in Louisiana, that was one of their main complaints, they couldn't find as good of beef as they were used to around here, that they had grown up. Different, might be better, but maybe not. With CAB, it is consistent. Doesn't mean it is the best, but people tend to like to taste the same thing for what ever they are eating. If you grew up eating flat tasting baby beef that was a little tough, anything else might not seem as good. Kind of like people who complain about grass fat beef. the ones who don't care for it are the ones who've never eaten any grass FAT beef. Just grass fatten at. Fat is fat. Proven time and time again. Just very hard to grass fatten cattle in this country. The growing season is not long enough.

Whoever heard of anyone advertise a "Simmental burger"- or "Gelbvieh steaks" :???:
Nope thru CAB and the other angus promotions they have imprinted in the publics/consumers minds (either rightly or wrongly) that angus means the top beef product...And it has been a fantastic marketing program for the beef industry as a whole...

I just saw an advertisement on TV for Dunkin Donuts announcing their fried egg and "angus beef" burgers.....

I just want to breed good cattle, we have purebred and commercial the main thing is are they worth keeping or not. All of us are trying to raise the best animal we can that meets the needs of our individual operation as well as the needs of our customer. I

Gizmom

Yep good cattle come in many packages. Your package might be different than your neibors and so on. You can't beat crossing a good cow to a good bull

Reading the coments on here is proof the the Angus guys have done so much better job of marketing than anyone else. The folks on ranchers.net are way more in the know than the average person and we still don't know what CAB really is. People see Angus in the name and think CAB. There are many branded Angus products riding on CABs marketing. ANd Katrina if what you say is the truth, and all the cattle in one group quailifed for CAB that is one of the best groups of cattle ever killed.

Effects of Breed and Genotype
Scientific evidence suggests that non-genetic effects, such as pre-slaughter diet, have much
greater influence on beef flavor than do additive and non-additive genetic effects
(Gregory et
al., 1994). Heritability estimates reported for beef flavor intensity (Gregory et al., 1994;
Wheeler et al., 2001; Riley et al., 2003; Nephawe et al., 2004; Dikeman et al., 2005) typically
have been very low (0.04 to 0.07), suggesting that less than 10% of the variation in beef flavor
may be attributed to additive genetic effects. Even though a few reports (Wheeler et al., 2004,
2005) indicate that beef flavor may be moderately heritable (h2 = 0.26 to 0.40), direct selection
for improved flavor characteristics is impractical due to the difficulty and cost of measuring
phenotype. Additionally, comparisons across a broad spectrum of cattle breeds and biological
types have revealed few meaningful differences in beef flavor (Koch et al., 1976, 1979, 1982;
Wheeler et al., 1996, 2001, 2004, 2005), suggesting that preferential use of specific breeds to
improve beef flavor has very limited potential.

The minor among-breed flavor differences that have been documented (Figure 6) tend to be
moderately correlated with breed differences in marbling (Gregory et al., 1994). Marbling is a
moderate to highly heritable trait (Ritchie, 2005). Furthermore, moderate to strong, positive
genetic correlations of marbling and(or) % IMF with beef flavor have been reported (Gregory et
al., 1994; Riley et al., 2003; Wheeler et al., 2001; 2004; 2005). Genetic relationships between
beef flavor and marbling (or %IMF) suggest that selection of cattle for increased marbling or IMF
would result in gradual improvement of beef flavor.

Mike said:
Effects of Breed and Genotype
Scientific evidence suggests that non-genetic effects, such as pre-slaughter diet, have much
greater influence on beef flavor than do additive and non-additive genetic effects
(Gregory et
al., 1994). Heritability estimates reported for beef flavor intensity (Gregory et al., 1994;
Wheeler et al., 2001; Riley et al., 2003; Nephawe et al., 2004; Dikeman et al., 2005) typically
have been very low (0.04 to 0.07), suggesting that less than 10% of the variation in beef flavor
may be attributed to additive genetic effects. Even though a few reports (Wheeler et al., 2004,
2005) indicate that beef flavor may be moderately heritable (h2 = 0.26 to 0.40), direct selection
for improved flavor characteristics is impractical due to the difficulty and cost of measuring
phenotype. Additionally, comparisons across a broad spectrum of cattle breeds and biological
types have revealed few meaningful differences in beef flavor (Koch et al., 1976, 1979, 1982;
Wheeler et al., 1996, 2001, 2004, 2005), suggesting that preferential use of specific breeds to
improve beef flavor has very limited potential.

The minor among-breed flavor differences that have been documented (Figure 6) tend to be
moderately correlated with breed differences in marbling (Gregory et al., 1994). Marbling is a
moderate to highly heritable trait (Ritchie, 2005). Furthermore, moderate to strong, positive
genetic correlations of marbling and(or) % IMF with beef flavor have been reported (Gregory et
al., 1994; Riley et al., 2003; Wheeler et al., 2001; 2004; 2005). Genetic relationships between
beef flavor and marbling (or %IMF) suggest that selection of cattle for increased marbling or IMF
would result in gradual improvement of beef flavor.
Thanks for posting this Mike. I have read several of these but couldn't remember where. The Argentinians used to be the go to guys for forage based fattening and genetics as that was all they had for years and eat more beef than anyone. But their government and our "best" grain and grain fed genetics have screwed that deal up I read.

canadian angus said:
I guess it was answered on another post, what ever bull you can lease the cheapest!

CA
Works for me.... :D

How ever, I'd rather put it, what ever GOOD bull you can lease the cheapest. I take it you sell bulls so don't like the competition?

:lol:

Take a patch of ground, that is too rocky or steep to farm; add a few cows for several generations; and my guess is, the survivors should be "your" hot genetic package if that's your rock-patch, or mountain.
I have a favorite color, but that is immaterial, as well adapted cows come in several of those.
As far as breeds go, there is probably some that fit about anywhere. They're just not all the same breed.
Popularity is like ostriches...

Folks, the CAB brand is exactly that, a BRAND. Started in 1978, when pretty-much any black beef animal was surely an Angus or Angus-cross in the U.S. So, the 51% black hide pretty-well cinched the Angus part in those days. But there are 10 carcass specifications that have to be met, so definately not just "black ones" make CAB.

Today there are several black breeds and we all know that. No reason to waste time worrying about it because it is what it is. However, only 23% or so of the 51% solid black cattle pass the carcass measurements to make it into CAB. Marbling in that ribeye has to be in the middle-Choice and higher range. That's the biggest hurdle to clear. Nine other carcass specifications are also important, but they are not as difficult to achieve as the marbling.

Whether you like the CAB brand or not, it brings dollars back from the packer (825 lb. carcass x $3.00/cwt = $24.75 / head, plus the Choice-Select spread). Packers don't buy cattle on hype, they buy them on value and CAB is just another value aspect due to quality. Cuss it if it makes you feel better, but CAB is not stating proof of registration of Angus cattle. It's a brand name that was invented when there was no such thing as branded beef (besides on the hide, of course). A McDonald's Angus burger is not CAB, as CAB doesn't own rights to the word "Angus".

Being mad at the Angus people for inventing it is like being mad at the guy that invented toothpicks to sell. Heck, that's not a toothpick, it's a sharpened piece of kindling!! The only thing to be mad about is that someone else thought of it first.

If you've got a different color or breed of cattle, then go forth and multiply! Be succussful with what makes you successful. Run a cow that makes you happy, fits your management and earns you profit. That's the NEXT HOT BREED for you! We all need consumers to DEMAND BEEF!

Here's a link to the specs on their web site:

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

Latest posts