• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF USA meeting for live cattle producers only

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flounder

Reaction score
R-CALF USA meeting for live cattle producers only
Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 11:57 AM

by Peter Shinn

The R-CALF USA annual meeting is underway in Omaha. But it's certainly not for everyone.

R-CALF CEO Bill Bullard told Brownfield attendance is expected at between 400 and 500 cattle producers. That's about a tenth of what shows up at the annual Cattle Industry Convention. But Bullard said the R-CALF annual meeting is targeting a specific segment of the cattle industry.

"We're not here to talk about beef processing and the beef industry," Bullard emphasized. "We're here to talk about the live cattle industry and what changes need to be made so live cattle producers can remain independent business people in the United States."

According to Bullard, the meat packing industry sees beef production as "the last frontier" for vertical integration. And Bullard said that means the R-CALF USA convention has three specific focus areas.

"It's marketing issues, it's trade issues and it's animal health issues," said Bullard. "Those issues combined truly do effect the long-term viability of our industry."

The R-CALF USA annual meeting runs through Saturday at the Omaha Holiday Inn Convention Center. Pre-registration is not required to attend.

Related Links:
R-CALF USA Convention Program

Interview with Bill Bullard (5 min 29 sec MP3).

http://www.brownfieldnetwork.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=37FE1E1F-E760-0A6E-C77616A7B8149F3B

tss

Richard Doolittle said:
Geeze, this just leaves the dead cattle producers out in the cold!! :lol:

For the BRAIN DEAD producers, there's always the NCBA convention. I think it's called something like The World Wide Beef Industry and Mega Packer Exposition Dog and Pony Convention.

Sandhusker, your envy is showing!

That largest gathering of PRODUCERS of live cattle in the nation at Reno is a little hard for you to comprehend. BTW, cattle feeders ARE producers, too. They are simply adding extra pounds, tenderness, and flavor to the great quality calves the cow-calf producer sends him. And sometimes needing to improve the lesser quality calves SOME producers stick him with.

I'm sure you would be mentally challenged trying to keep up and comprehend the educational speakers presenting Cattlemens' College material, the fine staff outlining progress of Checkoff projects for the Joint committees of Federation div. and CBB members.

Of course, the proposed policy brought to the Resolutions committee by the dues members of state affiliates, would be imcomprehensible to you because you cannot understand that there are thousands of cattle producers who do not agree with your ideas.

Most likely, paying for entertainment and meals on your own dollar wouldn't be familiar when attending a meeting, either. That is just the way NCBA members do things to make our dues go further in supporting our issues.

And, I'm just getting started..........

mrj

mrj said:
Sandhusker, your envy is showing!

That largest gathering of PRODUCERS of live cattle in the nation at Reno is a little hard for you to comprehend. BTW, cattle feeders ARE producers, too. They are simply adding extra pounds, tenderness, and flavor to the great quality calves the cow-calf producer sends him. And sometimes needing to improve the lesser quality calves SOME producers stick him with.

I'm sure you would be mentally challenged trying to keep up and comprehend the educational speakers presenting Cattlemens' College material, the fine staff outlining progress of Checkoff projects for the Joint committees of Federation div. and CBB members.

Of course, the proposed policy brought to the Resolutions committee by the dues members of state affiliates, would be imcomprehensible to you because you cannot understand that there are thousands of cattle producers who do not agree with your ideas.

Most likely, paying for entertainment and meals on your own dollar wouldn't be familiar when attending a meeting, either. That is just the way NCBA members do things to make our dues go further in supporting our issues.

And, I'm just getting started..........

mrj

So... was the Farm Bill misrepresented (lied about) there as well or is that reserved for press releases? If your speakers have the same degree of truthfulness as your leaders, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear them. If I want to hear BS, I'll pull up Hillary's website from the comfort of my home.

I see where Steve Dittmer was escourted out of the R-Calf convention by Bill Bullard and two security guards. Who is Steve Dittmer and what kind of threat does he present to the R-Calf organization that would require such strong arm tactics?

Here is what Steve Dittmer wrote:
Bully Bill

Is R-CALF really the free and democratic, open-to- scrutiny, grassroots organization it claims?

Does R-CALF firmly hold its positions and invite contrasting points of view to debate the issues?

Bill Bullard and a pair of security guards said no!

After I sat quietly in the back of R-CALF's convention and listened to President Max Thornsberry talk about convention rules ("No personal attacks," "Only honorable, respectful and humble statements."), R-CALF CEO Bullard's report and Russell Frye's report on R-CALF's legal activities, Bullard came with two security guards and told me I was to leave. The guards followed me all the way to the front entrance. Bullard refused to give any reason. I represent two media organizations. Evidently, R- CALF does not allow all media to attend their conventions any more. As for Thornsberry's rules, they don't appear to apply to everyone. Are they hiding something?

Is R-CALF feeling the pressure from lower membership numbers and half the staff they used to have? Is this reaction the kind of cornered mentality that comes from looking around and realizing most of your leadership and many hard workers are gone? Or realizing that your allies are long-time beef industry enemies, far left labor unions and activist groups judged radical even by Washington D.C. standards?

Or is it the realization that the truth hurts them with a lot of rational cattlemen who can see beyond the end of the weaning pen's loading chute? We thought they were proud of their reasoning and their stands. We've reported the facts as they have represented them. Except, of course, for the "facts" they told that weren't facts, as Swifthorses.com demonstrated to the world. Now that the dissenting board members and lots of chairmen and members have departed, are they paranoid a reporter might hear something to indicate new discord among the Remnant R-CALF's purged and perfectly aligned ranks?

Just wondering. After all, I attended the last three R-CALF conventions and found plenty to inform the industry about - the idea of conventions. But were it not for drastically unhappy R-CALF members themselves exposing the seamy underbelly of R-CALF political infighting, neither you nor I would have known about it then. Only member desperation revealed R- CALF's transgressions.

In 30 years attending cattlemen's meetings, I've never been forced out of an open convention session. At NCBA's meetings, a reporter can attend committee sessions with much more detail being disclosed about policies, strategies and finances than R-CALF ever disclosed in open sessions. And some of the committee sessions at NCBA are better attended than R-CALF's general sessions. In Omaha, no more than 110 people attended the morning's general convention session.

Bullard told the audience their membership mushroomed to 18,000 in 2005 because the industry had never seen anything like the "excitement" of R- CALF's lawsuit against USDA. (Pretty expensive excitement, costing the beef industry many millions of dollars.) Joel Gill and Membership Co-Chairman Herman Schumacher freely admitted that many members signed up every family member, all the kids and all the neighbors they could to make sure membership numbers looked good.

They are claiming 12,000 members now but since the numbers revealed on Swifthorses.com indicated their 18,000 member strength was really only around 11,000, how many of today's 12,000 members are real? If one adjusts by 50 percent or just subtracts 6- 7,000 members from their claimed total using last year's algorithms, one arrives at roughly the same numbers: about 5-6,000 members.

The truth is we have been telling the facts about R- CALF's messages as they spoke them and as they issued them. We don't have to exaggerate R-CALF's positions and activities to make them unusual, often radical and, sometimes, entertaining. Our opinions about their actions and policy are just that, our analysis of where their policies and actions would lead the industry.

Evidently, they haven't like our analysis.

Just the way Bully Bill handled me is the way he & R-CALF would like to "restructure the beef industry," as Bullard said. They want to muscle into the courts and into Congress and restructure things so government - the only bully big enough to pull it off - sets size limits on businesses, decrees who can own what property, forbids modern business methods and ropes America off from the rest of the world economy. And the industry and consumers can like it or lump it. Incredibly, in Omaha, he actually called this R-CALF version of the economy "free enterprise!"

They've demonstrated their pique by removing eyes and ears from their proceedings. Are they hiding something again? Or are they just bullying someone away they don't agree with?

Apparently R-Calf's meetings are only open to those in agreement with there policies. It's unforunate when any organization removes those in attendance having a different view.

Its kind of like when I signed up for hunting under Block Management- I made sure it was clear that I could deny access to or remove anyone from my property for absolutely NO challengeable reason and without having to give cause....Because I don't want a few folks that I know to be and have a history of being crooks, liars, or cheats wandering around on my property....
I've never had to exercise that right- BUT
Dittmer would be one of those ones never allowed on my property.....

Come-on folks- look back thru history- he's caused disruptions before- and then even when he was allowed the information, came out and printed huge distortions and lies......
I can't believe that western cow folk can be suckered in by a paid Packer whore lobbyiest like Dittmer...

Sounds like Dittmer hit a raw nerve, OT!

The real question is, does R-CALF allow ANY ag media (other than their clones) to cover their convention and report on ALL happenings?

Or........the better question may be, is there anything newsworthy to cover at a closed R-CALF convention?????

mj

mrj said:
Sounds like Dittmer hit a raw nerve, OT!

The real question is, does R-CALF allow ANY ag media (other than their clones) to cover their convention and report on ALL happenings?

Or........the better question may be, is there anything newsworthy to cover at a closed R-CALF convention?????

mj

The Dittmers that sell themselves to the highest bidder- that then will use any type of lies, deceit, innuendo, corruption, and large sums of Corporate money to influence the public and Congress/Government are at the center of the main thing wrong with this country...They always hit a raw nerve with me- and should with all honest Americans....

Their ability to hide the money sources behind foundations and commissions is sickening......

And last night it was sickening to me to see that besides the revelations of the organization George Soros is funding for him-- McCain has wrapped his campaign around numerous lobbyists and that many of his top advisors are paid Corporate lobbyists....I think the news was reporting that 11 or his top 13 campaign officials are registered or work for registered lobbyists- some even while they are working for the campaign--- while he espouses he is the peoples Champion to clean up corruption in D.C. :roll: :( :( :mad:

Its the reason the voice of the common voter means nothing to those that are in D.C. anymore- and especially to the droves that have been in D.C. too long....

RHR said:
Apparently R-Calf's meetings are only open to those in agreement with there policies. It's unforunate when any organization removes those in attendance having a different view.

It's unfortunate when any organization has to put up with the vindictive pure grade-A horseshit that R-CALF had to put up with on Dittmer. If you think he's simply an honest reporter with a different opinion who was wronged because he's just happened to write a story that rubbed leadership wrong..... :roll: The man was removed because he was there to do nothing but cause trouble - that's what his BS "foundation" is paid to do. He's not a reporter, he's a hired gun who job is to write negetive "press releases" via his one-man foundation. He's stretched the truth and written out and out lies time and time again. He redefines yellow journalism.

Kicking him out probably saved him from the arse-kicking he has coming. Anybody that knows me will tell you that I'm generally a pretty calm and joking-around type of guy - but that worthless bastard makes my blood boil. He's just a pimple on the ass of society.

Like Jan Lyons after she left NCBA went to work for Dittmer.

Please go to www.a gribusinessfreedom.org and click on the "Make a Contribution" button to make a contribution. You may also review issues of the Sentinel. Contributor's identities are kept confidential. Contributions may be a business deduction – consult your tax professional. Contributions are not deductible as a charitable contribution.

The recent elections have made the road ahead more challenging than ever. Please help us preserve the freedom for you to innovate and adapt to the 21st century consumer. Thank you.

Jan Lyons

AFF Chairman
Steve Dittmer

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14550&highlight=dittmer

You r-whiners are in typical form here!

Checking out the AFF website, I recall the basis for your hatred of Steve Dittmer, a person who incidentally, is head and shoulders above you for moral character, honesty, and accuracy in print!

It is worth checking www.agribusinessfreedom.com and going ack to the Sunday Feb. 13, 2005 column titled "Two Conventions A Study in Contrasts".

Sandhusker, what sort of "trouble" has Dittmer caused at previous r-calf conventions he has attended? Other than his honest opinion of what transpired at that 2005 convention, that is? Was he carrying posters or other paraphernalia indicative of some sort of disruptive demonstration he had planned????

In so far as kicking people around, that sort of intimidation might be an r-calf type thing, and he was probably fortunate to be removed without getting his necktie turned into a noose, in that crowd.

Your name calling is disgusting at best, and probably about as close to libel as one can get, but r-calfs' house attorneys can probably weasel you out of it.

RobertMac, while I don't KNOW that NCBA gives any support to AFF, I'd be proud if they did. I do know there are NCBA members who are also memers of AFF in order to support the good investigative reporting to expose those who would damage the food industries (including cattle producers) in this country.

mrj

MRJ, "Checking out the AFF website, I recall the basis for your hatred of Steve Dittmer, a person who incidentally, is head and shoulders above you for moral character, honesty, and accuracy in print! "

The guy is nothing but a cheap propaganda spewer. And please don't pretend you are concerned about accuracty in print when your beloved NCBA prints bold-faced lies about the farm bill and you remain silent.

If I may interrupt your Dittmer argument for a quick question for any of the RCALFers that went to the meeting. Did they pass the resolution that allows them to kick out any affiliate or member that has membership in groups that they don't agree with?

Latest posts