• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Texas border crossing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
You think downers don't get processed in Mexico?

You pick one company and then paint the entire US packing industry with a broad brush? What do you think can be said of Canada using that same logic?

Like to ask yourself why the US has a supposed ban on processing downers and Mexico doesn't? could it be because downers are at the highest risk of having BSE and as the world knows but apparently you have forgot again the US is a BSE affected country and Mexico isn't?
Want to bet Mexico can ship bone in meat out of their country too but the US can't

Like it or not The US has to follow the rules of a BSE AFFECTED COUNTRY but Mexico doesn't :wink:

Tam said:
Sandhusker said:

You pick one company and then paint the entire US packing industry with a broad brush? What do you think can be said of Canada using that same logic?

Like to ask yourself why the US has a supposed ban on processing downers and Mexico doesn't? could it be because downers are at the highest risk of having BSE and as the world knows but apparently you have forgot again the US is a BSE affected country and Mexico isn't?
Want to bet Mexico can ship bone in meat out of their country too but the US can't

Like it or not The US has to follow the rules of a BSE AFFECTED COUNTRY but Mexico doesn't :wink:

While it is difficult to argue with your reasoning, you really should lighten up because that really burns. No wink.

Tam, "Do you mean R-CALF lied when they took credit for getting MID taken out of MCOOL"

Nope, don't mean that at all. How did you come up with that? I just think it's funny as hell that you CVC members alternate between telling us how R-CALF has no credibility, is going down, etc… and then telling us all the legislation R-CALF has stopped, borders they've closed etc…

Tam, "Just because some can be traced back doesn't mean ALL can be traced back and if R-CALF would not have had MID taken out of MCOOL you would have been able to trace ALL cattle even those in ALABAMA."

R-CALF wisely doesn't see the need of setting up a new bureaucracy with so many unknowns about it when much of the country can already do what MID is supposed to.

Tam, "Is Texas not "cattle country" Sandhusker IF Texas is behind the rest of you out there in US CATTLE COUNTRY and Texas raises more cattle than all of Canada. I'd said Texas better get with the times "

Any non-brand area better get with the times and either brand or come up with something that works.

Tam, "What is testing 40,000 slaughter animals telling your trading partners? Will they ever know your incidence rate? "

It's telling our customers that we're not really interested on finding our incidence rate. What's Canada's?

Tam, "Well Sandhusker until you can explain how the US will not be shipping BSE infected cattle and Beef to Mexico, the US "A BSE AFFECTED COUNTRY" should keep all their beef and cattle at home and not be forcing it on countries or is this another do as I say but not as I do thing."

Now you're argueing with the USDA. I don't think the US should be forcing their product on anybody. I've said many times that the person writing the check should make all the decisions on what they buy and what they don't buy. That should be a given, but in a world with the WTO, NAFTA, etc…. common sense is a thing of the past.

Tam, "You never answered my question if Mexico wasn't to care about your non existant ID system in a BSE affected country because they didn't have one, why did R-CALF demand it Canadian Cattle? Do as I say not as I do right Sandhusker."

When you look at the CDC's estimate that your incidence rate is 26 times higher than ours and the USDA's insistence that we're both in the same boat in spite of irrefutable evidence to the contrary and the USDA's out right lying and inability to define the risk, a little extra is called for.

I take it you have no way of assuring us that we aren't bringing down BSE from Canada. Considering your pointing out the problems with our feed ban, would you care to tell us again why it is good for us to accept your product?

Tam, " Like to ask yourself why the US has a supposed ban on processing downers and Mexico doesn't? could it be because downers are at the highest risk of having BSE and as the world knows but apparently you have forgot again the US is a BSE affected country and Mexico isn't? Want to bet Mexico can ship bone in meat out of their country too but the US can't
Like it or not The US has to follow the rules of a BSE AFFECTED COUNTRY but Mexico doesn't"

I realize all that Tam – don't know what you're arguing about. If you followed and understood the exchange between Q and I, you would realize that after his weak attempt at excusing your rationale that has been proven wrong by the actions/inactions of Mexico, Japan, Korea, etal, I was warning him about making industry-wide insinuations based on the actions of one packer.

Tam said:
Sandhusker said:

No way Mexico doesn't have BSE...as much trade that has gone on between Mexico and the USA in the past, they have BSE...they are just not looking!!!!!!!!

Sound familiar??????

Note: above statement made with sarcasm.
Macon, where is our sarcasm icon???

Let the calvinball begin! Sandh one incedent :???: Last year the USDA FSIS suspended inspections at 12 US plants for the same reasons they did at westland and 14 the year before just check with TSS. It only happened once :roll: :oops: Ok, none of those made the national news does that mean you don't count those incedednts. An USDA audit released in 2007 showed that processing downers in the US happens on a regular basis and when caught the companies invloved were fined. So give me a break , it has been explained to everyone on here why mexico has less stringent restrictions on canadian cattle when compared to the US. So shut borders, cry your eyes out and make canadians go around the US. Yeah the US is entering a recession so prohibiting business that makes sense. So in conclusion sandH i expect you to make a personal attack, insult or to go off on some tangent. afterall everyone on here knows that is what you do when you figure out you can't win a debate or are proven wrong.
:cowboy:

RobertMac said:
Tam said:
Sandhusker said:

No way Mexico doesn't have BSE...as much trade that has gone on between Mexico and the USA in the past, they have BSE...they are just not looking!!!!!!!!

Sound familiar??????

Note: above statement made with sarcasm.
Macon, where is our sarcasm icon???

Dang it, RM, I thought of that this morning and forgot to write it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUESTION said:
Let the calvinball begin! Sandh one incedent :???: Last year the USDA FSIS suspended inspections at 12 US plants for the same reasons they did at westland and 14 the year before just check with TSS. It only happened once :roll: :oops: Ok, none of those made the national news does that mean you don't count those incedednts. An USDA audit released in 2007 showed that processing downers in the US happens on a regular basis and when caught the companies invloved were fined. So give me a break , it has been explained to everyone on here why mexico has less stringent restrictions on canadian cattle when compared to the US. So shut borders, cry your eyes out and make canadians go around the US. Yeah the US is entering a recession so prohibiting business that makes sense. So in conclusion sandH i expect you to make a personal attack, insult or to go off on some tangent. afterall everyone on here knows that is what you do when you figure out you can't win a debate or are proven wrong.
:cowboy:

I didn't realize so many plants were processing downers. Is that the reason Mexico cited for the descrepancies in policies?

Since a large part of or economic problems stem from our unsustainable trade deficit and considering the fact that NAFTA turned two trade surpluses into two trade deficits, a sound arguement can be made that the current trade situation with Mexico and Canada is fueling our recession.

Before you talk about me losing debates, remind me of your answer about how Canadian BSE is being stopped from coming down here. Remind me again how you're "Catching them all". Tell me again how BSE positive cattle can't be transported up there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before you talk about me losing debates, remind me of your answer about how Canadian BSE is being stopped from coming down here

There is no answer to that, any more than there is an answer to how many cattle are affected in your country. Unless you and we kill every animal and test it, there will never be an answer to that question, and you know it.

Time to think up a question that can be answered.

Ask a question that has no answer enough times, and perhaps people can be diverted from the true question, which is how can anyone guarantee that it's not being processed and recycled every day right in your own backyard with your own cattle?

Can you prove to me that it isn't? :!:
100% prove? :!:
Like we're supposed to do? :!:

NO YOU CAN'T. :shock:

The fact is that our country and yours are at the same risk level, and both remove SRM's from cattle at processing, which keeps said SRM's out of the human food chain, which next to testing at slaughter is the best safety net available at this time. There is no difference between our cattle and yours as far as BSE risk goes. They are the same.

Now get on board with mandatory ID, throw in some age verification, and inspectors on duty whenever livestock are being slaughtered, and maybe we can get both of our systems equal in all ways, not just BSE risk. Time to catch up and get with the times. :wink:

Oh ya, the trade deficit you have did not come from NAFTA. There are lots of studies out there that show a net gain from NAFTA, but they are not politically correct thinking at the moment, so don't get much attention. I think if you did some research you'd find it came from a strong currency and that giant swooshing sound made by a good portion of China's exports flying onto Walmart shelves. Now that the U.S. dollar is cheaper you will see that deficit dropping. Your exports will become more affordable for other countries to buy.

Kato, "There is no answer to that, any more than there is an answer to how many cattle are affected in your country. Unless you and we kill every animal and test it, there will never be an answer to that question, and you know it."

There is an answer to that, Kato. It is, "It is not being stopped". That answer also refutes the statement, "We're catching them all".

Ta Da!!!!! there is the obtuse tangent- NAFTA . Calvin and hobbs must have trained you personally how to play calvinball.
It really scares me if you are a banker and do not realize the key reasons for the US economy going in the dumpster. If you want an explanation i can give you one but you will probably deny it .
This ought to be fun.

QUESTION said:
Ta Da!!!!! there is the obtuse tangent- NAFTA . Calvin and hobbs must have trained you personally how to play calvinball.
It really scares me if you are a banker and do not realize the key reasons for the US economy going in the dumpster. If you want an explanation i can give you one but you will probably deny it .
This ought to be fun.

Let's hear it, Einstein.

As predicted you want to be an a$$. The reasons for the US economy are multifacorial but the largest influence dragging down your economy is the Iraq situation. Instead of using labor in the production of valuable items the US is spending a billion dollars a day to be in iraq and what is the return on that investment on labor. DING DING DING you got it right ZERO returns on that investment. And when combined with national debt in the trillions and the interest payments on top of that you economy starts to drag down not to mention the sub-prime morgage fiasco. This is where it all starts. Why do you have a trade deficte because your goverment is spending money in Iraq instead of producing valuable products. Do I need to simplify more? O R D O I N E E D T O L O U D E R A N D S L O W E R? :lol:

QUESTION said:
Why do you have a trade deficte because your goverment is spending money in Iraq instead of producing valuable products. Do I need to simplify more? O R D O I N E E D T O L O U D E R A N D S L O W E R? :lol:
Pretty simple analogy isn't it? Wrong but simple. We had trade deficits when we weren't in war.

Guys i am not taking trade deficite, but your government pouring money down a bottomless pit and you go around blaming everything else. Just think what the US would be like had 1.46 trillion been poured into the US economy in the past 4 years. What kind of security system could be set up for that money? Oh well keep on blaming everything else but back to the original topic. The US mexican border states can do what you want but blocking the border will have reprecussions that may not be so good. But i guess your govrenment officials know you guys can't compete when the playing feild is level. :roll:

You made some valid points on our economy, I won't argue that, but there is just no way a conversation can be had on the economy/recession without the trade deficit being a major part of that discussion. In order to finance that deficit, we are borrowing 2 BILLION dollars a DAY. We will have to pay that back, + interest! The alternative is to sell assets, but that in turn lowers your capacity for payment. Our government has resonded not by addressing the problem, the deficit, but by treating the symptoms - they just print more money. That just creates more problems and puts us in a death spiral where negetive factors feed each other. The only proper way to deal with this is to stop the deficits, and since every flipping free trade deal we've gotten into has resulted in a deficit, it's not hard to figure out where to start.

Many of you can't seem to figure out that our actions at the Mexican border are aimed at the Mexicans, not Canadians - just as our actions at the Canadian border was aimed at the USDA/AMI and not Canadians. If you want to live your life as the perpetual victim, there will always be somebody out to get you.

Oh Sandy, Your actions at the mexican border were not aimed at canadians BUT it still hits canadians, just as you aimed at the USDA/AMI and collateral damage was the canadian producer. Maybe you guys should take more time and and look at who is standing in the background before trying to blow up your target. Or maybe use a smaller weapond to kill a flea the bazooka might be a tiny bit big. Be real, stopping canadian cattle from going into mexico isn't supposed to hurt canadians :roll: Oh well keep on making excuses, oh we didn't mean to do that sorry. When you get caught in the crossfire time after time the apoligy gets kind a hard to accept as genuine.

QUESTION said:
Oh Sandy, Your actions at the mexican border were not aimed at canadians BUT it still hits canadians, just as you aimed at the USDA/AMI and collateral damage was the canadian producer. Maybe you guys should take more time and and look at who is standing in the background before trying to blow up your target. Or maybe use a smaller weapond to kill a flea the bazooka might be a tiny bit big. Be real, stopping canadian cattle from going into mexico isn't supposed to hurt canadians :roll: Oh well keep on making excuses, oh we didn't mean to do that sorry. When you get caught in the crossfire time after time the apoligy gets kind a hard to accept as genuine.

Where did I ever say either border action wouldn't hurt Canadians? I said it wasn't aimed at Candians. Again, you're the perpetual victim. You're in the crossfire because you willingly walked into it.

So now what are you saying that canadians were the target or you just want as much damage done as possible as long as not too many americans don't get hurt? Sand you say you want canadians to target other markets so they are not so dependant on the US market and when we to that and get acess to other international markets you go ahead and try to interfere. Sorry but i do not buy it that canadians are not the target of this action. You border states want to stop canadian cattle from going into mexico, how can they do that when they cannot stop those same cattle from entering their own state, talk about hypocracy. I wonder how long this will last and if it will take some trade retaliation maybe slowing the flow of oil to the US.

Latest posts