• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Dixie Chicks are back. :)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo said:
Toby Keith and his song right after 911. I have a special love of his song "Blue Moon", listened to it during night calving. Toby Keith tells it like it is, Dixie Chicks can just kiss my A$$ and move to IRAN for all I care. HMW, are you pickin' a fight or do you really like the Dixie Bi*#%@#?????

Way to tell it as it is Hanta Yo. They are highly overrated around here... like Nickelback and that garbage. I don't see how they can call themselves country though.

theHiredMansWife said:
TimH said:
Johnny Cash had a song out,years ago and the title escapes me, but one line in it went something like this.......

".....just work on harmony and diction,
play your banjo well,
and if you have political convictions,
keep them to yourself."

The One on the Left is on the Right

There once was a musical troupe
A pickin' singin' folk group
They sang the mountain ballads
And the folk songs of our land

They were long on musical ability
Folks thought they would go far
But political incompatibility led to their downfall

Well, the one on the right was on the left
And the one in the middle was on the right
And the one on the left was in the middle
And the guy in the rear was a Methodist

This musical aggregation toured the entire nation
Singing the traditional ballads
And the folk songs of our land
They performed with great virtuosity
And soon they were the rage
But political animosity prevailed upon the stage

Well, the one on the right was on the left
And the one in the middle was on the right
And the one on the left was in the middle
And the guy in the rear burned his driver's license

Well the curtain had ascended
A hush fell on the crowd
As thousands there were gathered to hear The folk songs of our land
But they took their politics seriously
And that night at the concert hall
As the audience watched deliriously
They had a free-for-all

Well, the one on the right was on the bottom
And the one in the middle was on the top
And the one on the left got a broken arm
And the guy in the rear, said, "Oh dear"

Now this should be a lesson if you plan to start a folk group
Don't go mixin' politics with the folk songs of our land
Just work on harmony and diction
Play your banjo well
And if you have political convictions keep them to yourself

Now, the one on the left works in a bank
And the one in the middle drives a truck
The one on the right's an all-night deejay
And the guy in the rear got drafted

I don't think it means what you think it means. :wink:
That song was metaphorical for the political divisions of America during VietNam. And people's inability to respect others' opinions (it destroyed the folk group and was wreaking the same havoc in the US). ...Not to mention the fact that political ideologies aren't static (read the last stanza)
Johnny Cash was actually fairly clear in his feelings about not only VietNam in that era, but Iraq in ours. He didn't support either one...
And a lot of Johnny Cash's songs were socio-political commentaries.

Thanks for posting the rest of the song. I was only refering to that one or two lines. What that means to me is that a singer or artist of any kind should keep their political views to themselves or be prepared to face the consequences, economic or otherwise, of using the stage to present their views.
Personally, when I pay money to get in to a concert it is to listen to the music and watch the show and not to hear the artist's political views or opinions. It pisses me off when singers or actors spew anything other than the talent that I paid to see, on my dime.
I have no problem respecting other people's opinions. I hope that others can respect my right to not buy their records,if I choose, when I don't agree with their opinions. That was my point. If they feel strongly enough about their position to speak out about it ,they should be able to take any heat that it might create and not whine about it . :)

TimH said:
Thanks for posting the rest of the song. I was only refering to that one or two lines. What that means to me is that a singer or artist of any kind should keep their political views to themselves or be prepared to face the consequences, economic or otherwise, of using the stage to present their views.
Personally, when I pay money to get in to a concert it is to listen to the music and watch the show and not to hear the artist's political views or opinions. It p***** me off when singers or actors spew anything other than the talent that I paid to see, on my dime.
I have no problem respecting other people's opinions. I hope that others can respect my right to not buy their records,if I choose, when I don't agree with their opinions. That was my point. If they feel strongly enough about their position to speak out about it ,they should be able to take any heat that it might create and not whine about it . :)

How many of Johnny Cash's songs have you heard? :???:
He certainly wasn't one to be saying people should keep their opinions/politics out of their music.

So far as the Dixie Chicks, I honestly don't remember any whining. I remember the uproar with Toby Keith (speaking of people who should keep their politics to themselves, eh?) but I don't really remember anything else.

And judging by the fact that they're currently #1 for music sales at Amazon, despite the fact that it'll be three weeks before anything is shipped, it would seem there are a lot of people who are happy to see them back.

I doubt if anyone cared, they just didn't pass up an opportunity to give their (low) opinion of the Dixie Chicks. I realize this is probably not what you wanted to hear but the Dixie Chicks cooked their own goose.

Go Alan Jackson!!
Go Merle Haggard!!
Go Toby Keith!!
Go Charlie Daniels!!
Patriots ALL!!!

theHiredMansWife said:
considering how many people have opened this topic (including yourself, FH :wink:) it would seem quite a few people care.

:roll:

theHiredMansWife said:
TimH said:
Personally, when I pay money to get in to a concert it is to listen to the music and watch the show and not to hear the artist's political views or opinions. It p***** me off when singers or actors spew anything other than the talent that I paid to see, on my dime.

How many of Johnny Cash's songs have you heard? :???:
He certainly wasn't one to be saying people should keep their opinions/politics out of their music.

So far as the Dixie Chicks, I honestly don't remember any whining. I remember the uproar with Toby Keith (speaking of people who should keep their politics to themselves, eh?) but I don't really remember anything else.

And judging by the fact that they're currently #1 for music sales at Amazon, despite the fact that it'll be three weeks before anything is shipped, it would seem there are a lot of people who are happy to see them back.

Whatever. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I guess you missed this part of my post........."I have no problem respecting other people's opinions. I hope that others can respect my right to not buy their records,if I choose, when I don't agree with their opinions. That was my point. "

FYI, I've probably heard every song Johnny Cash ever recorded. As well as every song the Carter Family ever recorded(on 78's)..... you have heard of them , haven't you there Toot's???? :roll: :roll: :D

Faster horses said:
I doubt if anyone cared, they just didn't pass up an opportunity to give their (low) opinion of the Dixie Chicks. I realize this is probably not what you wanted to hear but the Dixie Chicks cooked their own goose.

I'm not entirely sure being #1 in sales, three weeks prior to release is exactly the best way to "cook their own goose", eh?

And I realize you don't get this, but there are a lot of patriots who aren't particularly supportive of this war, or the president.
confused-smiley-013.gif

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it."
Edward R. Murrow

'Night. :)

theHiredMansWife said:
Faster horses said:

I'm not entirely sure being #1 in sales, three weeks prior to release is exactly the best way to "cook their own goose", eh?

:)

But look at who they have to associate with now to get that #1 spot-- Got ran out of Gods country- had to move to LA- most the common folk want nothing to do with them anymore--now have the following of all the fruits and greenies from Liberal-Land.......

Sounds like about as good a place for them as France :wink: :lol:

YUP I'm with you, FH. I don't understand why someone would bring up such a contentious subject unless the someone needs to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Ranchy said:
Yep, when the DCs started pickin on good ole cousin Toby, they went down considerably in my opinion. :roll:

Toby and George are the bestest of the bestest! :cboy:
:nod: :nod: get to see George June 3..yummm.

Angus..you just can't talk about Nickleback that way :evil: :D

The Chicks want to talk they have to take the flack, maybe some people like them BUT the fact was going to be not very many on ranchers would...period!!

Yeah, it was easy for me to pass on them because I didn't like them before they started flapping those big mouths.

HMW, your quote from Edward R. Murrow not withstanding, they were disloyal, but if you think they're "way cool" go ahead and waste your money. I wouldn't spend a nickel on anyone who would slam our president and our country in a time of war. If what they said didn't bother you, that's sad. It bothered me.

Maybe you can enlighten some of us old folks who grew up listening to Johnny Cash and the Carter Family. Like Tim H, I've heard every song they ever recorded that I could lay my hands on and I never remember Johnny, or June for that matter, ever dissing this country or our president. How about giving us an example?

Mrs.Greg said:
Ranchy said:
Yep, when the DCs started pickin on good ole cousin Toby, they went down considerably in my opinion. :roll:

Toby and George are the bestest of the bestest! :cboy:
:nod: :nod: get to see George June 3..yummm.

Angus..you just can't talk about Nickleback that way :evil: :D

The Chicks want to talk they have to take the flack, maybe some people like them BUT the fact was going to be not very many on ranchers would...period!!

OOps. Wrong band. lol. I was listening to Far Away. I meant bands like AFI, AntiFlag, Rancid and other garbage, including "snoop Dog", black eyed peas---to me, that isnt music-juat a bunch of druggies yelling into the mic. lol.

theHiredMansWife said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7MG4G/ref=dixie-vid_header/002-8336923-9721659

Their new album (the Dixie Chicks) will be released on May 23rd. Three weeks til release and they're already #2 for sales at Amazon....

theHiredMansWife said:
Number 2 OT. Five stars at iTunes for the album's first single... Apparently a lot of people disagree with you. :D

theHiredMansWife said:
Oops.... They're up to #1 right now.
Not even released yet... :lol:

theHiredMansWife said:

And I realize you don't get this, but there are a lot of patriots who aren't particularly supportive of this war, or the president.
confused-smiley-013.gif

theHiredMansWife said:
Personally, I don't have to agree with someone's politics to enjoy their music. :)

HMW, you started this thread and are promoting the Dixie Chicks for all of the wrong reasons. You are happy as a hog in a mud puddle that they are doing so well, and selling so many music albums. You like to pose as a tolerant compassionate individual, but don't tell me you don't also like a good fight. I tried to let this deal slide, but woke up tossing and turning and mad, and realized I wouldn't be able to sleep until I spoke my piece.

The Dixie Chicks are anti-American. Therefore, I tend to consider those who would buy their music as also anti-American. If you could just buy their album, and enjoy it without flaunting it, that would be your prerogitive. That would be sort of like "don't ask, don't tell", and what you did within the confines of your own life would be your own business. Instead, you are choosing to wave a red flag in front of a bunch of bulls. Then when we all gang up on you, you will be crying in your beer because we all ganged up on you. :???: :?

You live in a rural setting, but you are not true to your rural roots.

maybe you should have started this in Political Bull instead of here?
confused-smiley-013.gif

"The first single from their new album, entitled "Not Ready To Make Nice", debuted exclusively on MSN Music on March 16, 2006............and is about the political controversy that has surrounded the group. The lyrics include: "I'm not ready to make nice/I'm not ready to back down/I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round/It's too late to make it right/I probably wouldn't if I could/'Cause I'm mad as hell/Can't bring myself to do what it is you think I should" "

back during the initial comments about President Bush, another topic kind of got shoved under the rug. the chicks had made an ad for peta that was supposed to debut about that time. (allegedly they were getting such a bad rap about the pres comment they were afraid the peta ad would destroy any remaining fan loyalty they had so they paid peta $10,000 to not run the ad). the ad is against fur but in my opinion any support for peta is not good support. i think the ad was to say something like "we'd rather be naked than wear fur" or something to that effect. below is the photo that was made for the ad and the link to an article

peta.jpg

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/dixie-chicks.html

well, they might "rather be naked than wear fur" but i think i'd "rather have my eyes poked out than see Natalie naked".

Hired Mans Wife, I think you're here just to pick a fight....The way you address your husband shows that you are dominating, overbearing, and get a real kick out of arguing....Lady you have serious issues that maybe you need to address with some counsiling...
We are family here and you knew this type of thing would not go over very well and that was your agenda. Shame on you...

I don't really care for the Dixie Chicks one way or the other.....BUT....they can say what they want because this is America and that what all this WAR, etc is baiscally about , right?? Freedom and a life free of supression is the ultimate goal, right?

All this yap about them is doing the Chicks more good than anything....they're getting free advertising out of it by word of mouth alone. People will buy the CD to see just " how bad" and rebellious they really are.

Want to hurt them....quit talking about them. Best way in the world to sink anyone's boat is to let them be forgotten.

Latest posts