• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Unbelievable

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm with rancher all the way on this argument. Up here, welfare is way too easy to get and alot of lazy SOB's that could be working are collecting it! Some of those make more money per month than what we do working darn near every day of the year, no matter what the conditions are. I watched a story on the farm news where the Mexicans are coming up here to work doing manual labour and appreciating the paychecks to send back home. The Mexicans are getting these jobs because alot of Canadians will not lower themselves to doing that kind of hard work. "It's too hard!" they claim. Lazy, lazy whining people! So they sit on their butts and wait for their welfare check. Another example of how easy it is to get welfare..... a girl I worked with in a restaurant was a single mother with two kids working 40 hour weeks. She still didn't quite have enough to look after her family, so she went to welfare and asked for a little help on top of what she was making in wages and tips. They told her no, but if she quit her job completely, they'd give her all the money she needed. She said no, and struggled along on her own, because she wanted to keep on working. Alot of other folks would've said fine, I'll quit and let the gov't pay my way through life.

Shelly said:
Amen! It just p***** me off knowing there are able-bodied people sitting on their duffs and bleeding the system dry off the backs of us who work our fingers to the bone!

Are you talking about the poor people in New Orleans or the ones at the top living off of fraud like Tyson? I think they are equally guilty of their inheritance.

Both classes must remember that the great equalizer is death and it can not be cheated. I am always humored at the emotions that sensational sermons on the rapture elicit from people. We all have a short amount of time. We must remember the big picture.

My mother said they closed down the schools in Alexandria, La to send the school busses down to help evacuate.

My family in Louisiana is thought to be okay. Most were in Baton Rouge. Some still unaccounted for (an OBGYN) Dr. who probably has his hands full. Still do not know about the extent of property damage. Personally, my prayers are out to all of them, the rich, the poor, the quick and the dead. We should all use this time to observe the way we want to influence the world through the poignant pictures we are seeing.

One of the true measures of a country is in how it responds to the immediate needs of its own people in times of crisis. It appears that the folks who have suffered the most in this disaster are not considered to be worthy of rescue or help in a timely manner and this will certainly be a deciding factor in the future of the powers that currently hold office. I do applaud the Governor of Louisiana for speaking out and telling the Federal Government to get of its a$$ and do something. I am horrified by the apparent lack of response to the crisis and what has been allowed to happen there with the looters etc. Who in their right mind would shoot at their saviours and try to prevent help from arriving?? That is totally nuts. We in Canada are sending what help we can and already people here are asking how they too can help.

The realityof the whole deal is the MIDWEST PAY for all disasters. n'uff said! As for New Orleans...............a disaster waiting to happen..guess what ...it happened! :roll:

I feel for those people in New Orleans, I truly do. But how does that saying go? The Lord helps those who help themselves? Those folks didn't have to live like they did, they chose to. And they were told to leave the city, many chose not to. And why overturn rescue boats and try to shoot helicopters out of the sky? If they want help, use a little common sense. These people are just irrational! As far as I can tell, they're not even trying to help themselves. They're just sitting around wailing and complaining and doing nothing! If they have the energy to break into buildings and loot them for totally useless stuff, then they could get some energy up to try and get themselves out of this situation!

OK, now I'm probably going to catch alot of flak for this, but it's my right to voice my opinion. Nuff said.

Ron wrote:
I do applaud the Governor of Louisiana for speaking out and telling the Federal Government to get of its not nice and do something. I am horrified by the apparent lack of response to the crisis and what has been allowed to happen there with the looters etc.

The Mayor and the Govenor dropped the ball Ron. Bush declared the city a disaster area before either of them. Each of them had information of impending disaster on FRIDAY!!!!!!!!! Mandatory evacuation was not declared until Sunday! and not very convincing then.

Have you seen the hundreds of flooded school buses that could have been used to transport these people OUT? They are sitting in the parking lot with water up to the windows.

The plan had been rehearsed many times. It works from the local government up, not from the Feds down.

When Bush called the Mayor to tell him of his Declaration of Disaster, it is being said that he asked the Mayor, "WHAT ARE YOU WAITNG FOR?"

The Govenor of Louisiana's handling of this fiasco is a pity. I am glad I don't depend on her to take care of me. She's a typical Democrat. Blame it on someone else. :???:

"It is the worst in all of us to be opportunists when it is at the expense of someone else."

I think this summarizes the top and the bottom.

As for the mid-west being immune from "natural" disasters, don't be so smug. I have been in earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and floods and duststorms (no volcanos yet). All of these were equal opportunity disasters. Ironically it was these same events that brought out the best that I have seen in people.

I have seen more of the worst of people brought out by our equally motivating emotion: greed. I had a college roommate whose father worked at Enron.

"The sins of the father are passed on to the sons."

Don't be swayed by the obvious incorrect actions taken by a relatively few shown on the media. There are courageous people out there right now. You will never hear all of their stories but I know on my best day I am not as good as some of them.

Mike, I must admit to not having seen the same amount of coverage as you have. I guess I saw the Governor long after he "should" have responded. We get only coverage that the local networks want us to see and nothing to the extent that you get. It is a terrible time for all those folks and this is something that was waiting to happen and God knows, it will happen again. It appears that the seasons are not only early but more intense. Our "Fall" is about two to three weeks early this year and living beside a lake, I can see more geese now than usual for this time of year. Everything is going all to hell and in fine fashion.

I don't imagine we would be seeing any of this suffering if the stranded people were white, because they wouldn't be there. They are there because they are black and they are poor. Racism is so embedded in the american psyche that the poor black population wasn't even considered when evacuation was called for. All the authorities cared about were the people who could evacuate on their own, mostly whute people.
Ask yourself this; why didn't the authorities have a plan for evacuating the poor people? Maybe because they would rather have them killed? Think of the money the government will save not having to help these people.
The US makes me sick.

It's this type of attitude that breeds racism.

Consider the reality of this situation.

There was litterally THOUSANDS of victims that first endured a hurricane and then endured flooding. That in itself is going to lead to a rescue effort of a magnitude that this nation has never experienced before.

It's so easy to sit and blame when you are not faced with the realities of the situation. Armchair experts is right.

This was the largest natural disaster in the history of this nation so how can anyone think it's possible to rescue, feed, and get clean water to that many homeless people within a day when there is so many people who have not yet been rescued? GET REAL!

A lot of the problems that were not addressed in a timely manner was because there was problems being addressed of higher priority. It was more important to rescue folks from rooftops than feed and water those who were already rescued.

There was so many leaving the city that it was difficult to get in. There was no power or communication to get the word out on ALL the resources that were needed. There was no plumbing which led to further problems.

The logistics of having all these compounded problems at the same time, with minorities that are used to blaming someone else for their problems, lead to total chaos.

Doesn't matter what color those people were, THERE WERE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF THEM that all needed saving at the same time under extremely difficult conditions for rescue efforts.

Can't some of you understand the logistics of this situation?

There is only so many helicopters and so many boats available at one time. The people in the domes that needed food and water were second in priority to those who needed to be rescued. That's the story that is not being told.

Of course the liberal media is going to play this "poor me" race card for all it's worth and drag the war into it.

I guess these left wing administration blamers would rather have our troops fighting terrorism at home instead of abroad while we split our resources between subway bombings, burning skyscrapers, and flood victims. NOW THERE'S A REAL SOLUTION!

BUSH BLAMERS.......sheeesh!

It's so easy to sit back, watch CNN, and play the race card when you are not faced with the reality of the situation.

Naturally the poor black people would blame society for forgetting them while the helicopters and boats were busy rescuing their relatives. Blame is second nature to these folks.

Just consider the logistics of hundreds of stranded folks on roof tops and the time it takes to get to all of them in the air and in boats.

These folks chose to stay and yes, maybe some of them couldn't leave but I sure see a lot of stranded cars sitting under water. I'd have to beleive that some of those cars still ran. They blame the government for not being able to get to all of them at the same time.

It was not safe to rescue many of these victims from helicopter INITIALLY due to the strong winds.

It was not safe to rescue many of them due to those who were shot at for helping.

THE POLICEMAN THAT REMAINED ON DUTY WERE BUSY DEFENDING THEIR STATION??? Does that tell you anything about the dangers being faced?

Unless we were there, we can't possibly understand the logistics of this situation. Many of the excuses for the amount of time it took are legitimate.

Many of these folks chose to live in a flood zone and they chose to stay when they were warned to leave.

WHO ARE YOU GOING TO BLAME FOR THAT RED RIVER?????

~SH~

ARMY TIMES
september 02, 2005

Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans

By Joseph R. Chenelly
Times staff writer

NEW ORLEANS — Combat operations are underway on the streets "to take this city back" in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"This place is going to look like Little Somalia," Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard's Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. "We're going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control."

Jones said the military first needs to establish security throughout the city. Military and police officials have said there are several large areas of the city are in a full state of anarchy.

Dozens of military trucks and up-armored Humvees left the staging area just after 11 a.m. Friday, while hundreds more troops arrived at the same staging area in the city via Black Hawk and Chinook helicopters.

"We're here to do whatever they need us to do," Sgt. 1st Class Ron Dixon, of the Oklahoma National Guard's 1345th Transportation Company. "We packed to stay as long as it takes."

While some fight the insurgency in the city, other carry on with rescue and evacuation operations. Helicopters are still pulling hundreds of stranded people from rooftops of flooded homes.

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and police helicopters filled the city sky Friday morning. Most had armed soldiers manning the doors. According to Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy Grishamn, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship Bataan, the vessel kept its helicopters at sea Thursday night after several military helicopters reported being shot at from the ground.

Numerous soldiers also told Army Times that they have been shot at by armed civilians in New Orleans. Spokesmen for the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome were unaware of any servicemen being wounded in the streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot wound sustained during a struggle with a civilian in the dome Wednesday night.

"I never thought that at a National Guardsman I would be shot at by other Americans," said Spc. Philip Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. "And I never thought I'd have to carry a rifle when on a hurricane relief mission. This is a disgrace."

Spc. Cliff Ferguson of the 527th Engineer Battalion pointed out that he knows there are plenty of decent people in New Orleans, but he said it is hard to stay motivated considering the circumstances.

"This is making a lot of us think about not reenlisting." Ferguson said. "You have to think about whether it is worth risking your neck for someone who will turn around and shoot at you. We didn't come here to fight a war. We came here to help."

As Clinton would say, we need to feel their pain as they shoot at our soldiers.

YOU LOOT, WE SHOOT!

~SH~

I know it seems like eternity to get the help to arrive, but we have to remember one major thing. Rescue workers (EMT, firemen, etc.) couldn't go in until the area was safe. That is one of the first things taught to rescue personnel. If multitudes of rescue personnel would have swarmed into the city as the flood waters were rising, there would have been more people in trouble. Then who would be left to help now?

He's 77 years old. Try to imagine him driving his family out in wall to wall traffic. We don't even know he's "with it" enough to drive. That's the point, some are infirm, elderly, have no cars, and some are stupid. That doesn't mean we should blame them or abandon them.

You don't real real well do you Reader? I blamed no people that deserve welfare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you think Fat's has some money, he could have made plans. If he is 77 and has no money then I guess he might fit the system. I will blame and abandon and shoot and ask questions later on any that are hindering the operations of helping others that need it. Bet they all move back in and want the government handout again.

I said fat people that could work, not fat people that deserve welfare. Enough said of subject, I am going to head to the shop and hit my thumb with a hammer. Makes more sense than this arguement to me.

Hey Agtech, what all have you heard about the levies leaking. Pictures I saw on the Calgary news last evening, showed areas flooded on one side of a levy where it LEAKED, and not flooded on the other side where it didn't spring a leak.

I don't want to argue on this social services debate. If everyone took care of their own, we wouldn't have this problem. That's all I'll say.

I am interested in knowing how much of the damage and flooding could have been PREVENTED by maintaining, repairing and upgrading the levies.

Different people have said that the levies were built for level 3 hurricanes and Katrina was a 5. This may be so, that doesn't mean that ALL the flooding was not preventable. What portion of it was?

Some of the levies were built over a 100 years ago and basically maintained but not completely rebuilt. Perhaps that is the problem. Bandaid repairs to satify the minimal government standards are all too common.

bse-tester said:
Some of the levies were built over a 100 years ago and basically maintained but not completely rebuilt. Perhaps that is the problem. Bandaid repairs to satify the minimal government standards are all too common.

Sounds like a corral if it ain't broke it doesnt get fixed till the cows get out then patch it up and get the work done.

The section of the levy that broke was a section just overhauled. So much for that theory. More money into the levy maybe it would have broke in more places.

I don't know about the levees around N.O.- but in other areas many of the levees, dams, roads and govt. buildings were part of the WPA work projects- maybe we need some program like that again- make the able bodied housing project welfare recepients work to rebuild and strengthen the levees, possibly learning a trade while doing it... But the unions would scream, the free enterprise capitalists would scream, the civil rights people would scream--- so instead we will use billions in tax dollars to rebuild the levees and new project houses, give them more welfare and forget about them that way...

Latest posts