• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

West River Lockout landowners are bad folks...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wild-eyed atheist Eastern liberals

This is great R2!!!!...I think you beat them to the draw on this 'handle'.....

I've spent A LOT of time in the West...and compared to the East....ESPECIALLY the South....it is a different mind-set. I'm not saying it's better or worse...it just different....and that's what makes the world go-round I suppose.

I've always said that as far as the South goes....that we should require a passport to visit as we are almost like a separate country down here!!!

You know LB, i have never said the critters were mine....i have said ours. I have said that because they are yours and mine and everyone elses in between in this great state and country. What i dont understand is how you can compair the amount of feed a deer eats to you renting your pastures to someone. THe deer that hit your car is yours also. Help to manage them more and just maybe it will help, but by not your sure to have more wrecks around your area

There IS a program here in SD many people who are reading this today dont know about and its called a "walk in area"

THe state PAYS the landowner to allow hunting on their land as long as the hunter WALKS IN. The landowner has every chance to be reembursed for the animals they raise on their land IF the landowner wants to sign up for such a program, but then the landowner wouldnt be able to say who,what and where and when anymore and thats the problem here i think. The landowner can specify what type of critters are ok to hunt there i do believe and if they allow trapping and such. What the landowner wants is to be compensated by the state for the animals eating what little most do ( and Most of the time you would never be able to even tell they were there) and yet say who what where when and why and then still cry and moan because you feel you should be allowed "x" amount of licenses a year to sell to your customers.

There are programs out there and if you look at the maps, ALOT of your neighbors take advantage of that. I dont have a clue as to how much is paid by the state what so ever but is sure is more than your getting now. I also believe it is a huge success because of the millions of acres that are enrolled throughout the state. I am sure there are problems with some also but anytime you deal with the public/state there are a few bad eggs that may just ruin it for everyone. Hopefully that wont happen. Maybe we should ask the readers here on this sight how many of you are paid for the hunting privlages on your land by the state or province you own land in and how many would take advantage of that situation. I really feel some want their cake and want to eat it to.

Just to throw another cup of gun powder on the fire :shock: ...

If some parts of the world didn't have so many that shoot everything that moves, maybe there wouldn't be "wildlife" troubles.

Too many deer, and gophers but you shoot the coyotes. Makes sence to me :roll:

Too many deer, and gophers but you shoot the coyotes

if we could just train the Coyotes to eat only the gophers prairie dogs and doe deer it would all work out......

or teach the lambs, sheep, and calves to dig holes to hide in until the coyte moves on to it's natural prey......

and...
paying to shoot Coyotes and Prairie dogs is preditor control....

and.. for LB.."And who shoots gophers? And why?"

I shoot gophers.....sharpens the aim and keeps the population under control..

South Dakota hunter how much of a little bit do deer eat and if they only require alittle bit how come they can destroy a whole haystack or feed pile in a little while?

I have lost a couple calves over the years to coyotes, but instead of chasing the natural gopher controllers down, I changed where I calve.

I have had deer eat at my alfalfa bales, I switched how I stack them, putting greenfeed or grass hay outside of the alfalfa.

I don't shoot badgers either, the holes in the hay fields are less damaging than being overrun by gophers.

It's easier to work with nature rather than fight it. Isn't that what all the guys that calve later say? I still calve in January but a few small changes make life so much easier.

We have about 2000 acres in the Walk-In program. We like it because it attracts the type of hunters who are just that - hunters. Not the kind that chase the deer down with their pickup, drive through fences, ect. We get $1/acre, which isn't much, but it's money laying on the sidewalk. We don't have to anything. No guiding or anything. So what if someone walks across my land? He or she isn't hurting it. Plus, it's only for about 3 or 4 months of the year. And I am getting a little cash for it. And the game warden can do his or her job, making sure the laws are obeyed. That's their job. I would not like it if they were unable to do their job. I actually don't mind getting stopped, because I know then that the non-locals are probably getting checked too.

I shoot gophers too. Otherwise the blade gets dull in a hurry when I mow my lawn.

Jason said:
I have lost a couple calves over the years to coyotes, but instead of chasing the natural gopher controllers down, I changed where I calve.

I have had deer eat at my alfalfa bales, I switched how I stack them, putting greenfeed or grass hay outside of the alfalfa.

I don't shoot badgers either, the holes in the hay fields are less damaging than being overrun by gophers.

It's easier to work with nature rather than fight it. Isn't that what all the guys that calve later say? I still calve in January but a few small changes make life so much easier.

Not all of us can move our cows to calve Jason. If you just have a handful I can see this working. Don't have problems with the deer and the bales, badgers no problem, but can't work with the coyotes so shoot all Isee. Deer population comes up when i do and the wild birds too.

sdsu rancher--Does everyone get a $1 an acre for walk-in - area?

Where does the money for the walk in come from?

{Quote--sdsu rancher--So what if someone walks across my land? He or she isn't hurting it. Plus, it's only for about 3 or 4 months of the year. And I am getting a little cash for it. And the game warden can do his or her job, making sure the laws are obeyed.]

We aren't worried about having someone on our land if they ask permission. You have chose to turn your place into walk in area and signed a contract to have Co's come on without permission and you are also getting paid for that. That's your choice and that is great.

FH - do you have a link for the story so we could all read it? We must be doing something wrong here in South Dakota because we haven't gotten nearly the press you folks have.

Steve - I'd probably shoot gophers too if I didn't have prairie dogs and predators to thin out, although I won't let anyone shoot a badger around here. Those feisty fellows eat prairie dogs like a coyote or mountain lion will, but they don't eat any of our livestock. You've gotta respect them too - they take care of themselves, stand their ground when threatened, and kow-tow to no one, animal or human. Kind of a kindred spirit to some of the hearty souls who settled this "great American desert" and still defend it.

LB, I think their excuse was that our Chamber of Commerce helped sponsor it and they were against that. We also found out that a group from up by Kalispell called, "Friends of Animals" caused a lot of the 'correspondence' shall we say?

I'm sure there was a connection because every letter and phone call we got called our contest 'barbaric'. It was like that was what they were fed, so that's what they said.

If you want to read the story, go to billingsgazette.com (Friday, Jan. 6)and click on archives and put in 'coyote' on search. That story was picked up by the AP and went out to 23 states. A fellow from ND sent me the article that ran in the Minot paper. His comment was "Way to go! A mountain lion was spotted in a cornfield near Ryder and folks here thought the animal rights activist should go pick some corn."

We have had a lot of support too. Woolgrower magazine is going to run the results, pictures of the winners, etc.

We got a real good guest opinion that ran in this week's Fallon County Times. It is on our website, so if you want to read it, just go to falloncountytimes.com. I really don't know how to post a link. There is some good stats there and I think you would enjoy reading it.

If i am right, it believe each walk in are is assessed for payment by what they can bring for the hunter....in other words, what they got to offer. I am sure a barren far west pasture like will only supply big game, prairie dogs and coyotes and such, where you may get east river and find ducks, geese, pheasant, turkey, deer....ya know what i mean? It is growing in popularity every year...more and more acres every year.....Know the crazy folks out west have put a bill togather and submitted it to the legislature saying the game fish and parks needs to get legislative approval to purchace any land......thats nothin but crazy! I would like to hear LB explain why that is a good deal....especially since it is purchaces with hunter $ from licenses and such...why should they have to ask? Do we call a special session every time they want to purchase somethin? What are they afraid of? Taxes? I believe the GFP pays the same taxes on the land any landowner would for that property but i may be wrong,,,if so i am sure LB will let me know.....(here come the cutn and pastn!!) :wink:

Southdakotahunter said:
If i am right, it believe each walk in are is assessed for payment by what they can bring for the hunter....in other words, what they got to offer. I am sure a barren far west pasture like will only supply big game, prairie dogs and coyotes and such, where you may get east river and find ducks, geese, pheasant, turkey, deer....ya know what i mean? It is growing in popularity every year...more and more acres every year.....Know the crazy folks out west have put a bill togather and submitted it to the legislature saying the game fish and parks needs to get legislative approval to purchace any land......thats nothin but crazy! I would like to hear LB explain why that is a good deal....especially since it is purchaces with hunter $ from licenses and such...why should they have to ask? Do we call a special session every time they want to purchase somethin? What are they afraid of? Taxes? I believe the GFP pays the same taxes on the land any landowner would for that property but i may be wrong,,,if so i am sure LB will let me know.....(here come the cutn and pastn!!) :wink:

A couple things, Fish and Game have no business being in the land ownership. They just drive up the land prices which drive up the base in taxes, which keeps younger generations from buying into the farm or ranch business. They should just stick to the job they were created for, taking care of what ever they do. I would like to see where they pay taxes on it too.

I think there are different levels of payments, as someone else said, depending on the area and how many other walk-ins there are around. I don't know that it is based on how much the landowner could get. That could vary a lot by the amenities and accomodations offered. As far as where the money comes from, I really don't know. I would guess that it comes from license sales, but again I don't know for sure.

I really dont think the GFP is in the business of trying to see how many they can put out of business or keep from getting in.....the land prices have been problems for a long time, long before this ever came up. The problems, i feel anyway, comes from EVERYONE who is purchacing land. One of the biggest problems with it is the purchace of land by hunters of out of state..and i think you can blame alot of that on the stock market....the stock market sucks, realestate looks attractive...where ya gonna put your $$?? some can be blamed on ranchers and farmers too. they are paying the $ for the land even when they are still getting the same for cattle and corn as they did 20 yrs ago...that dont sound real smart to me.

Part of the GFP's responsibility is to try to suppy the hunter with the best hunting experience possible. Just like fishing, camping, whatever. If purchasing land for that because of the lack of hunting oppertunities unless you pay is a bad thing, then i curse the GFP! Got any better ideas what they should do with the money they get from hunters and fisherman? We could be like texas and have very little public lands. I really dont think it should go into the general fund.
Maybe you should blame your neighbor who is selling it to the GFP. If you were selling, would you sell it to only one certain person or group or whoever has the $$? I know what i would do.

Part of the GFP's responsibility is to try to suppy the hunter with the best hunting experience possible. Just like fishing, camping, whatever. If purchasing land for that because of the lack of hunting oppertunities unless you pay is a bad thing, then i curse the GFP!
What law says GF&P has to supply hunters with anything but a license that the hunter has to pay for himself?

Got any better ideas what they should do with the money they get from hunters and fisherman? We could be like texas and have very little public lands. I really dont think it should go into the general fund.
Yes, I have a better idea what to do with any extra money GF&P raises – put it into the general fund to pay the owners of the game you're shooting. After all, the game belongs to the public and they have more right to that money than the folks we have hired to "manage" the public's game.

And as for being like Texas with very little public land? Sounds like a great idea to me.

This letter to the Rapid City Journal was in today's paper. He has some good points!

Trespassing

I'd like to make a few comments regarding Patrick D. Malone's Jan. 25 letter. If someone is hunting, he or she should know exactly whose land they are on. If they go onto someone else's land, it is their fault, not the landowner's and they should be arrested.

If someone is trespassing and gets hurt, who is liable? The landowner.

The lockout is not about money. It is about landowners' rights.

Pertaining to the $2,000-$3,000 to hunt. If you owned land and had to pay S.D. property taxes and liability insurance, you would also charge to hunt.

SCOTT KUDLOCK
January 29, 2006

Latest posts