• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

They weather guru's said .5. We got .17 so that makes not quite .5 total. Disappointing but we'll take it. We lost our irrigating water and was hoping it would rain enough to give us a second cutting on one field that was cut early. That would be a first for grass hay in 50+ years, but it's iffy now. Guess time will tell.

It is 45 this morning. Out of habit this summer the bath room window was wide open. That will wake you up when you go to take a morning shower.

.05 last night. Makes it unbearably hot. Yesterday the heat index was 106 with a 95 deg temp. I just cannot handle the heat with this humidity. I tried to get a baler hooked up to the tractor by myself yesterday. Jack was just not a good one on the baler. Then the hitch was one that had the swivel ball in it. After an hour and nearly getting heat stroke, my wife came to help me. Next fun time was connecting the power shaft. I just hate those Constant Velocity joints at the tractor.

We got a little shower night before last too. High of 70 yesterday, we gathered and brought the yearling heifers home. Couldn't have been a nicer day to do it!! I almost didn't have enough clothes on, which is a good problem in Aug ;)

It is 45 degrees out this morning. Makes changing irrigation a entirely different level of fun. Zooming across the field on a quad in a light summer shirt after having the hands in the water might not be as much fun as you would think. But 70 degrees in the afternoon after a month of over 100 is glorious. I will take that trade every day and twice on Sunday...... wait it is Sunday!!! Does that mean I have to go change the irrigation again?

We got 0.2 of an inch in that shower night before last. Even had a few puddles in the driveway.

The coolest morning temperatures here have been in the high 50s and donning a light jacket takes care of any discomforts and is easily removed when our highs hit the mid-80s to mid-90s. Only one rain about .25 inches since the middle of June. Our irrigation is still full ditch and most alfalfa growers have their 4th cutting in the works.

This morning was the first in a while with no smoke and a clear sky with a white moon and bright twinkling stars. Not a lot of hope for unirrigated rangeland, but otherwise irrigated pasture looks great for fall pasture after 2 cuttings of horse hay and now grown enough to bring the cattle back in a week or two.

Cold front came through in the night. North wind and 76 deg. Maybe I can get something done this afternoonn. Cowdog has to go to the vet this monr. Get some growth cut off. Prob take all day....

Same front made it here yesterday around 6pm.Temps dropped 24 degrees and got a few scattered cloud bursts out of it.For right now life is good here.Of course with the heat that we have all could change in 25 days.We are still making it to the high 90s and my truck read a 100 degrees all afternoon long today until the front hit.Calves aren't liking it at all.Mesquite tree shade and a slight breeze is only thing keeping them alive.

I lost yesterday having to babysit my cowdog. 2 hours of surgery for growths and x-rays. He is about 12 or 13 he was a rescue. Looks like he has heart problems including a growth at the base of the heart. Also a mass at the spleen that could just be a big blood clot. Now the poor guy is on diuretics like I am? We usually go pee together, so now it will just be more often..... Today is 80 deg high, and maybe tomorrow then chance of rain. Then 10 deg over normal by the weekend. I am going to try to get some spraying done..

I lost yesterday having to babysit my cowdog. 2 hours of surgery for growths and x-rays. He is about 12 or 13 he was a rescue. Looks like he has heart problems including a growth at the base of the heart. Also a mass at the spleen that could just be a big blood clot. Now the poor guy is on diuretics like I am? We usually go pee together, so now it will just be more often..... Today is 80 deg high, and maybe tomorrow then chance of rain. Then 10 deg over normal by the weekend. I am going to try to get some spraying done..
Bless your heart for 1) rescuing him and 2)caring enough to take care of him.
Darn dogs don't live long enough.

Bless your heart for 1) rescuing him and 2)caring enough to take care of him.
Darn dogs don't live long enough.
So true!! I have had many dogs in the last 40 years. My Dad wouldn't let me get another one after mine ran off during a storm. She was scared to death of storms and we farmed a place 60 miles from home evey weekend. He wouldn't let me take her with us.... The day after I got married I got 2 border collies from the same litter. A real mistake as far as cowdogs... I had a good blue heeler, but she got shot with her 2 pups by a local big name farmer/stockman. I had a lab and a golden that were basically yard ornaments. then had a beagle/something that showed up one day in the pasture and stayed for 15 years... This guy is the only one that has been in the house. He has his own couch, eats when we do, sleeps at the foot of the bed, and is our family.... He can find a newborn calf in some of the worst brush ever. Since he has arthritis, I put him of the back of the 4wheeler and drive back and forth working upwind from the downwind side of a pasture. He will want to jump off when he hits a scent. Then he shows me where the calf is and hunts a place to take a dump!!! Every time!!!! Then I have to beat him to the stock tank, his favorite place when it is over 70 deg....

We finally had a good rain. It rained all day yesterday. It was the first rain since the middle of June. It cleared out the light smoke and dropped the temperature. Temperature now 71 at noon and 61 this morning. We have a fall feeling in the air. Irrigation ditch still full and possible 5th cutting looking good.

I found another dead raven in my yard that died from the West Nile virus. That is 3 in two weeks. Now that I can have my windows open and enjoy the air, a skunk has decided to take up residence at the neighbor's early every morning. I think he comes for the dog food they leave out. The dog barks and he sprays.

Latest posts