• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I went for a 4 miles walk with dark clouds all around but heaviest to the west and east. It has never failed to rain and soak me to the beige outfit I was born in, under such threatening conditions, until today. Nary a drop.

The forecast is now revised to say it is raining now and will continue for several hours. Sadly they are wrong.

UPDATE: It just started and now up to 5 drops per square yard or slightly under a meter for y'all in Canada. I just cleaned my rain gauge and now wait.

Just heard from the Alaska rancher man and he says the Fairbanks fires are within 30 miles and he is taking on heavy ash so heavy the chickens have gone to roost. His area is on evacuation standby.

Last edited:
It rained on Thursday 02. It rained on Friday 0.4. It rained on Sunday 0.15. Today it is a beautiful 72 degrees with a slow drizzle. Had some big wind and thunder boomers but not the big thunder shower. B stopped in her earlier and I asked if he had cut more hay. He said they thought about it but held off. If the radar map was correct Nicky should have got some rain too.

We had a light thin drizzle for 3 hours that helped cool things down and clear the air, but didn't do anything moisture wise. Ione had a flashflood and they have a lot of mud to shovel.

Although not what I had hoped we would get moisture wise, I am thankful for the cooling and air freshening.

Where are you located? It doesn't say on your profile. I would expect hay would be very expensive where you are if you could even find it.
I'm feeding 2 year old grazer that I stockpiled because it was cheap.$75 a bale then.This year I bought some heavy,heavy wheat hay for $150 a bale before there was a bumper crop of hay made around hear from the April rains.5x5.5 bales of this year's grazer are $100 per bale and I made 128 bales off of 40 acres I took a chance on planting.Then the rain came.Thank goodness.

Between Abilene and San Angelo, Texas. I would call it West Central Texas.

It's obvious the seasons are changing - finally. I need a light jacket early mornings here - mid-40's lately. S'posed to be back in the upper-80's to low-90's for highs by the end of the week. Pleasant days for finishing up projects for the year compared to the 100+ days, but sure a challenging time to straighten out calves. They don't call it national dead calf month for nothing.

What's it like at your place?
View attachment 2935

D-R-Y

Attachments

• 20230807_185857.jpg
    20230807_185857.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
We got zip other than a mist that dried as fast as it hit. Threating again today but not holding my breath even though the fair and rodeo starts today. It is cooling some and that helps save on watering. Now with covered stands, I doubt rodeo will bring on the rain like it has in the past.

It was 54 at 5:45 when the sun was thinking about coming over the hills. The forecast was for a high of 85 today. But now at noon it is just hit 70. I don't think it will make 85 which is fine by me. A thin cloud cover but they don't look like rain clouds.

No rain from all those days of threatening clouds. Now clear skies and cooler nights. The morning dew is the only sign of moisture. 61 at 5 AM with 97 the forecast high for today. The drought continues despite being taunted by 3 hay cuttings and the fair and rodeo. Umbrellas and rain wear sales are at an all time low this year. I visited the nursery yesterday and noticed the cactus selection was larger than ever before and succulent sales were off the charts. :cautious:

109 today, 107 tomorrow, 103 Thursday, 98 Friday, and then tapers down to 88 over the next 10 days. One day says rain possible at .01%. I think the weather forecaster is basing that on me choking from the dust on hay field road and hacking up some phlegm. I have an inquiry out looking for camel riding lessons and how to look sassy in a turbine. :cautious:

It's been very nice here. Wonderful, in fact.
Now we have Tues-Friday of 90 degree weather, then a cool down to more normal temperatures.
We want to go camping in the mountains before snow flies. Cousins went up Monday only to
move back down today. Too many funerals to attend and a 60 year class reunion next Wednesday.

A dear long time friend and former classmate passed away on Sunday; she has NO family so 2 other close friends and I were there when she departed. That funeral is next Tuesday morning. Then our former pastor passed away yesterday evening and the son of Mr FH ag teacher passed away too.

It is over 100 here today. We gathered the broken mouth cows and hauled them to B's corral. 19 trailer loads of them. Tomorrow we will work the calves in the morning and haul them to my corral in the morning. Early afternoon we will sort the cows and load them on to trucks to ship them to the plant. 100+ degrees is ideal weather to wean calves? Right? I had the first load to the corral. I found 2 bee nests. It is a good thing I don't wear a wedding ring because the bees found my ring finger. It is swelled and itchy now.

Wife's foster sister passed on the 3rd. We went to the service on Friday. Good service extremely well attended. But I could have done without the 4 hour + drive each way. But we wouldn't have missed it.

Last edited:
We sorted and worked the calves. Hauled 117 calves to my corral. Sorted the cows by owner and shipped 119 cows off to the plant. Started a little before 7:00 and I got done at 2:45. At one point B said it is too hot for an old fat man. I agreed. And I am 18 years older and fat too. It is 103 today. To hot to be working and weaning calves.

We sorted and worked the calves. Hauled 117 calves to my corral. Sorted the cows by owner and shipped 119 cows off to the plant. Started a little before 7:00 and I got done at 2:45. At one point B said it is too hot for an old fat man. I agreed. And I am 18 years older and fat too. It is 103 today. To hot to be working and weaning calves.
Too hot to be doing anything. I pretty much refuse to work cattle when it's so hot. Too bad you couldn't have waited til next week.

Too hot to be doing anything. I pretty much refuse to work cattle when it's so hot. Too bad you couldn't have waited til next week.
Yep, but they were schedule with the plant. We would have to come up with a better excuse than it is too hot. But it is done. The cows have been there for a couple of hours now. Teh calves are bawling out in the corral. But there is 6 water troughs spread around totally 1,000 gallons of water. My corral hadn't been used in months and irrigation water over flow always runs through the corral so it is covered with grass and weeds. No dust. And 2 loafing sheds and the north side of the barn to provide shade. I will walk through them 3 or 4 times a day. The chute is in the middle of the corral so if one even looks suspicions it will be into the chute for some doctoring.

Latest posts