• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Your favorite American president

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OT since you are into horses I will use Buck Brannaman and Monty Roberts for examples.
Brannamans one book called the Far Away Horses or any of the Roberts books are pretty much an autobiography of the men.
Not only do they not abuse women or children but because of the
abuse and poverty<especially Brannaman> they lived through they are the opposite. They know what it feels like to be abused, so not only are they not abusive but they would be the first ones to speak up against abuse or the first ones to step in and stop abuse.
About "Class in society" and Brads remark about "drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer court and see what you get."
Charles Dickens grew up in poverty worse than what most could ever imagine.
This idea that poor people will steal because they are poor actually strikes me as funny because I always thought that poor people are poor because they do not steal.
Anyway its been my experience that if your ever down on your luck that its always going to be the poor guy who doesnt have much thats going to offer you help.
The rich guy isnt going to help because he doesnt know what its like to need help. Or if he did need help his "Daddy" would probable be there to bail him out.
Old Timer did you know Elmer Keith? He was from MT. Elmer never struck me as a thief or a man of low moral convictions.
What about WW1 hero Alvin York? What about most of your armed forces and im not talking about the ones who get good commisions away from action either. Guys like Clinton or Jr. who got out of Vietnam or guys like Reagans son who got out of Vietnam because he had a cist on his butt.
Wasnt it Jesus who compared a rich man going to heaven like a cammel going through the eye of a needle?

RoperAB- I don't think wealth or poverty has anything to do with it- some very poor people grew up in loving and caring households- some wealthy grew up being abused and emotionally neglected... Its if you were raised in an abuser atmosphere that keeps the cycle perpetuating- and many times without help cannot be broken....

Some psychologists feel that much of your personality and temperament is formulated by what you see and do in your first 5 years of life...

All I know is that if you work with child abusers and spouse abusers you will find that the majority of them grew up in an abusive home....

Paul Bernardo and Karla Holmoka are the most evil Canadians who have ever lived. They both had good early childhoods. Especially Karla Holmoka.

Here are some American names that come to mind that had good early childhoods. Charles Manson is the only exception but his girls that did the killings came from good families as far as I know.

Ted Bundy

Jeffrey Dahmer

John Wahne Gacy

Green River Killer Gary Ridgeway

Manson Girls

OT for a victim of violence to go out and do the same thing to someone else that is inocent is sort of like a police officer who goes out and steals. The Police officer should know better. Just as the victim of violence knows what it feels like to be a victim. Sort of the way that people who have never been in combat are usually the ones hollering first that we should be quick to go to war.
I dont agree with the idea of being imprinted into a sexual serial killer. I know of to many people who have overcame a lot to become what they are today.

Not to put words in OT's mouth, I think what he means is the TENDENCY to abuse is higher when a person grew up abused. This has been substantiated over and over. Of course, there are exceptions. But
I agree with him.

Ever notice a person that grew up with an alcoholic father, usually marries
someone that has a drinking problem? Same thing as what OT is
talking about.

Hard to not be dysfuctional if you were raised in a dysfunctional household.

Roper- I don't know about the others you listed-
but Ted Bundy was from a very dysfunctional family- child of an unwed mother that moved in with her parents and tried to pass Ted off as her adopted stepbrother -the grandfather they lived with was mentally unstable and quite violent to all in the household...

Gacy- was the son of an alcoholic father, that was both a child abuser and spouse abuser....

As far as the Mansons, much of that was drug connected, but most were from split families...
Squeaky- had a father that both physically and sexually abused her

Blue was from a split family that had an emotionally abusive mother that kept teliing her she wished she would die...
Susan Atkins came from a very dysfunctional family-- she had alcoholic parents that were both violent to each other and to her- and saw nothing wrong when her older brother and his friends were having sex with her....

Roper- I didn't buy a lot of it years ago- but after 30 years of doing post incident investigations on violent and sexual crimes- many many times the pattern would be there....

Just being from an abusive background does not mean you have to turn out to be an abuser or serial murderer- but when you look at those that are the abusers or perpetrators of violent crimes, many have that background....

And I still think Clinton got his thrills out of demeaning women- including Hillary......

RoperAB said:
For a victim of violence to go out and do the same thing to someone else that is inocent is sort of like a police officer who goes out and steals. The Police officer should know better. Just as the victim of violence knows what it feels like to be a victim. Sort of the way that people who have never been in combat are usually the ones hollering first that we should be quick to go to war.
I dont agree with the idea of being imprinted into a sexual serial killer. I know of to many people who have overcame a lot to become what they are today.

Time and time again, people who watch their loved ones die from emphysema just keep right on smoking themselves. :???:

OT said
Ted Bundy was from a very dysfunctional family- child of an unwed mother that moved in with her parents and tried to pass Ted off as her adopted stepbrother -the grandfather they lived with was mentally unstable and quite violent to all in the household...

Mother Teresa was born in war wracked Albania to Catholic refugees. Her father died when she was only eight years old. Ted Bundy had things pretty darn good compared to a lot of people!
Theodore Robert Cowell was born on November 24, 1946 to Louise Cowell following her stay of three months at the Elizabeth Lund Home for Unwed Mothers in Vermont. Ted's biological father, who was an Air Force veteran, was unknown to his son throughout his life. Shortly after his birth, Ted and his mother moved back to the home of his grandparents in Philadelphia. While growing up, Ted was led to believe that his grandparents were his parents and his natural mother was his older sister. The charade was created in order to protect his biological mother from harsh criticism and prejudice of being an unwed mother.
At the age of four, Ted and his mother moved to Tacoma, Washington to live with relatives. A year after the move, Louise fell in love with a military cook named Johnnie Culpepper Bundy. In May 1951, the couple was married and Ted assumed his stepfather's last name, which he would keep for the rest of his life.
Over the years, the Bundy family added four other siblings, who Ted spent much of his time babysitting after school. Ted's stepfather tried to form a bond between himself and Ted by including him in camping trips and other father-son activities. However, Johnnie's attempts were unsuccessful and Ted remained emotionally detached from his stepfather. According to Stephen Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth's book Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer, Ted became increasingly uncomfortable around his stepfather and preferred to be alone. This desire to be by himself increased and possibly led to his later inability to socially interact comfortably with others.
As a youth, Ted was terribly shy, self-doubting and uncomfortable in social situations. He was often teased and made the butt of pranks by bullies in his junior high school. Michaud analyzed Ted's behavior and decided that he was "not like other children, he looked and acted like them, but he was haunted by something else: a fear, a doubt -- sometimes only a vague uneasiness-— that inhabited his mind with the subtlety of a cat. He felt it for years, but he didn't recognize it for what it was until much later." Regardless of the humiliating experiences he sometimes suffered from being different, he was able to maintain a high grade-point average that would continue throughout high school and later into college.
During his high school years, Ted appeared to blossom into a more gregarious young man. His popularity increased significantly and he was considered to be "well dressed and exceptionally well mannered." Despite his emerging popularity, Ted seldom dated. His interests lay more in extra-curricular activities such as skiing and politics. In fact, Ted had a particular fascination with politics, an interest that would years later temporarily land him in the political arena.
Following high school, Ted attended college at the University of Puget Sound and the University of Washington. He worked his way through school by taking on several low-level jobs, such as a bus boy and shoe clerk. However, he seldom stayed with one position for very long. His employers considered him to be unreliable.
Although Ted was inconsistent with his work outside of school, he was very focused on his studies and grades. Yet, his focus changed during the spring of 1967 when he began a relationship that would forever change his life.
Ted met a girl that was everything he had ever dreamed of in a woman. She was a beautiful and highly sophisticated woman from a wealthy Californian family. Ted couldn't believe someone from her "class" would have an interest in someone like him. Although they had many differences, they both loved to ski and it was during their many ski trips together that he fell in love. She was really Ted's first love, and, according to Ann Rule, possibly the first woman with whom he became involved with sexually. However, she was not as infatuated with Ted as he was with her. In fact, she liked Ted a lot but believed he had no real direction or future goals. Ted tried too hard to impress her, even if that meant lying, something that she didn't like at all.
Michaud writes that Ted won a summer scholarship to the prestigious Stanford University in California just to impress her, but at Stanford, his immaturity was exposed. He writes, "Ted did not understand why the mask he had been using had failed him. This first tentative foray into the sophisticated world had ended in disaster."
In 1968, after his girlfriend graduated from the University of Washington, she broke off relations with Ted. She was a practical young woman and seemed to realize that Ted had some serious character flaws that took him out of the running as "husband material."
Ted never recovered from the break-up. Nothing, including school, seemed to hold any interest for him and he eventually dropped out, dumb-founded and depressed over the break-up. He managed to stay in touch with her by writing after she returned to California, yet she seemed uninterested in getting back together. But Ted became obsessed with this young woman and he couldn't get her out of his mind. It was an obsession that would span his lifetime and lead to a series of events that would shock the world.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/bundy/2.html

OT said
Gacy- was the son of an alcoholic father, that was both a child abuser and spouse abuser....

Again Gacys childhood was a hell of a lot better than a lot of people who went on to be wonderful people.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gacy/begin_2.html
Chicago's Irish inhabitants and Mr. and Mrs. John Wayne Gacy marked the day with celebration. It was St. Patrick's Day and Marion Elaine Robinson Gacy and John Wayne Gacy, Sr. welcomed their first son into the world at Edgewater Hospital in 1942. John Wayne Gacy, Jr. was the second of three children. His older sister Joanne was born two years before him and two years later came his youngest sister Karen. All of the Gacy children were raised Catholic and all three attended Catholic schools where they lived on the northern side of Chicago.
The neighborhood in which Gacy grew up was middle class and it was not uncommon for young boys to take on part-time jobs after school. Gacy was no exception and he busied himself after school with a series of part-time positions and Boy Scout activities. The young Gacy had newspaper routes and worked in a grocery store as a bag-boy and stock clerk.
Although he was not a particularly popular kid in school, he was liked by his teachers and co-workers and had made friends at school and in his Boy Scout troop. He always remained active with other children and thoroughly enjoyed outdoor scouting activities. Gacy seemed to have a very normal childhood with the exception of his relationship with his father and a series of accidents that affected him.
When Gacy was eleven years old he was playing by a swing set when he was hit in the head by one of the swings. The accident caused a blood clot in the brain. However, the blood clot was not discovered until he was sixteen. From the age of eleven to sixteen he suffered a series of blackouts caused by the clot, yet the blackouts ceased when he was given medication to dissolve the blockage in the brain.
At the age of seventeen, Gacy was diagnosed with a non-specific heart ailment. He was hospitalized on several occasions for his problem throughout his life but they were not able to find an exact cause for the pain he was suffering. However, although he complained frequently about his heart (especially after his arrest), he never suffered any serious heart attack.
During Gacy's late teens, he suffered some turmoil with his father, although relations with his mother and sisters were very strong. John Wayne Gacy, Sr. was an abusive alcoholic who physically abused his wife and verbally assaulted his children. Although John Sr. was an unpleasant individual, young Gacy deeply loved his father and wanted desperately to gain his devotion and attention. Unfortunately, he was never able to get very close to his father before he died, something which he regretted his entire life.

OT said
As far as the Mansons, much of that was drug connected, but most were from split families...
Squeaky- had a father that both physically and sexually abused her

Blue was from a split family that had an emotionally abusive mother that kept teliing her she wished she would die...
Susan Atkins came from a very dysfunctional family-- she had alcoholic parents that were both violent to each other and to her- and saw nothing wrong when her older brother and his friends were having sex with her....

Where are you getting your info from but I watched a show not so long ago on biography chanel on the Manson girls. Those girls were weak-willed people who were naïve, gullible and easy to lead. Manson also used LSD and amphetamines to alter their personalities to his needs. But they lead me to believe on biography that most of the girls came from good families. Its just that they got all caught up in the liberal hippie movement.

OT said
Just being from an abusive background does not mean you have to turn out to be an abuser or serial murderer- but when you look at those that are the abusers or perpetrators of violent crimes, many have that background....

I agree but but do a web search on Karla Holmoka. Thats what shocked so many about her. She came from a good background.
The only thing that Bernardo could complain about was that when he was 16 his mother told him he was illigetimate. Big deal! Lots of kids wish they were adopted!
There are no excuses! Just choices! Buckle up, tough it out and do the best you can. Nobody said life was fair or easy.
If your parents are not suitable role models. Go to a library and read about someone who is.
But its unfair to label victims of abuse as future abusers! This is the point that im trying to make. You dont hear about the good people who have made something out of themselves. Only the wack jobs that try to use their past as an excuse<frustrating>

Where are you getting your info from but I watched a show not so long ago on biography chanel on the Manson girls. Those girls were weak-willed people who were naïve, gullible and easy to lead.

How do you think some of these became weak willed - neglect, mental and physical abuse can lead some to be weak willed, easy to lead people, that have little self esteem...

As far as my info- most is coming from my memory- some from the notes I haven't got stuffed away in boxes...I was certified an instructor at the Law Enforcement Academy and taught at several academies and training centers in the Northwest to local, state, and federal investigators for several years...Even had a few of your mounties attend our recall, regression, forensic hypnosis, and body language and truth verification classes...One of my co-instructors was an FBI profiler that taught a bit of profiling to show how to utilize the reading of body language and regressed recall.....

Heres a website I found on serial murderer profiles-- not a bad read....

They were mostly intelligent children. Seven of the 36 subjects had IQ scores below 90, most were in the normal range, and 11 had scores in the superior range, above 120.

More than half of those surveyed in the Criminal Personality Research Project (partially funded by the Justice Department, USA) had mental illness in theier immediate family. Half had parents who had been involved in criminal activities. Nearly 70 percent had a familial history of alcohol or drug abuse. Every single one of the murderers were subjected to serious emotional abuse during their childhoods. All of them developed into what psychiatrists label as sexually dysfunctional adults, unable to sustain a mature, consensual relationship with another adult.

http://www.criminalprofiling.ch/character.html

JB,

James Carville was/is a Klinton operative that coined the phrase "drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer court and see what you get." He delivered this accusation against Paula Jones to discredit her after she came forward with accusations of sexual assault against Bill Klinton. This is called the nuts and sluts defense, where the accused tries to damage the credibility of the accuser and diminish the accusation. I consider such attacks against an accuser to be assault part 2.

From OTs link
Not all murderers come from broken, impoverished homes. Many of them started life in a family where family income was stable and sufficient. More than half lived initially in a family that appeared to be intact, where the mother and father lived together with their son. Almost all serial killers are white and hetween 20 and 35 years of age.

OT do you remember Richard Jewell? I will use him for an example because everybody on this forum must remeber the case. He was accused by the FBI of having involvement in the Centennial Park bombing in Atlanta during the Olympic Games. The FBI had no physical evidence or eyewitness testimony against Jewel. He remained a suspect. The reason? He fits the profile of such a bomber. He was a police groupie who wasn't successful in a law enforcement career, he was the first person to find the package, and, of course, he lives with his mom. Kind of a sick guy. No girlfriend. And he liked to go hunting. What else could the FBI do? Did it matter that a voice print analysis failed to conclude that he made a 911 call warning park officials of the bomb before it went off? And did it make a difference that it was nearly impossible for the caller to have made it to Jewell's position in the park in time for him to alert others to the presence of the package? Of course not. What did matter was that Jewell looked like the individual who they were seeking and that was enough. Profilers after all are brilliant - and now glamorous,well almost as glamorous as Horachio on CSI Miami! How could they miss?
Then the news media immediately jumped into the case with their own profiles and covicted Jewel in the court of public oppinion and pretty near drove the poor guy crazy.They said Jewell had a hero-complex. It was just a matter of finding a little physical evidence to please a jury and everyone would be happy. Dont forget he lived at home and took care of his old mother!What a sick ba$tard!
Bottom line is that they were completely wrong about Jewell.
You know TV shows like "Profiler" or more modern ones like "CSI " must make real detectives laugh their asses off. You cant beat old fashioned detective work. Profiling is only effective when you know the individual that has done the crime. Profiling can predect future behavior for that individual. But its use questionable when you dont know who you are dealing with. Its lazy, bad police work to just go by the crime and then try to find someone who fits the profile. Or thats what my Father <Chief Of Police>used to say and he was in law enforcement for 25 years.

I can't tell you about the Jewell case- I've never looked at it...And profiling is just one tool like the polygraph, forensics, interviewing, document evidence, computer assessment, etc. that can be used to solve a crime... In fact developing a full profile is seldom used, except in major and high profile cases due to the lack of trained profilers.....And your father is right- nothing takes the place or is better than old fashioned on the street patrol and footwork investigation...But sometimes you end up in situations where you've exasperated every lead- you would be derelict in your duty if you didn't try and use every tool...And a knowledge of who fits the profile of your crime will sometimes aid you in getting that info- or bringing forth a suspect....

I know many of the interviewing techniques that we taught are probably still hard at use right now down in Guantanamo- as it was the CIA and military that developed many of them- and the more you know of their profile, customs, family life the better they work...

I suppose you'd really flip if I told you I've successfully worked cases with psycics :lol: :lol:

Red Robin said:
knownothing, try crayons, they'll be more entertaining for you . Or maybe try sobering up. You might enjoy life.

Red Robin try not posting your insults and your attempt at wit it will save space for the rest of those posting with some wit and good points.

CattleRMe said:
Red Robin said:
knownothing, try crayons, they'll be more entertaining for you . Or maybe try sobering up. You might enjoy life.

Red Robin try not posting your insults and your attempt at wit it will save space for the rest of those posting with some wit and good points.
...and what did you just do you hypocrite? Typical "independant".
I'm yet to see anything posted by you that was either witty or good.

Red Robin said:
CattleRMe said:
Red Robin said:

...and what did you just do you hypocrite? Typical "independant".
I'm yet to see anything posted by you that was either witty or good.

Notice I said others...........

I'm far from perfect but I can admit can you?

Faster horses said:
As for me, I got a laugh out of Red Robin's comment.
Broke the monotony. :wink:

You got a laugh out of someone making assumptions about another that are serious?

Latest posts