• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Your Greatest Rodeo Hero

Help Support Ranchers.net:

canadian cowgirl, you hurt me very deeply. saying that cowboys have the best stories is a very nice compliment. to say though, that we may be full of bs is an outright injustice. i've been told that i can tell a dang good story, but then i've been told by the same people that im full of bs. this hurt, and i do mean hurt. it was tragic, i tell ya. hell, im still in therapy over that one. just because someone may embellish the facts or resort to their imagination to come up with the particulars does in no way mean that they are full of bs. just because someone tells a story that you think is bull doesnt mean it "couldnt happen". lol. what gets me though, is the stories that noone believes are the ones that really did happen. where is the logic in that. a good rule of thumb, if it sounds to bizaar to be true, there was probably a cowboy or two and some spiritous bevearge invloved. you can bet the farm though, it did happen.

Red Lemmel, his brother Rory and a couple others were all traveling together. They had really been pickin' on Rory. So when they got to Calgary, they had to pack their gear bags a loooooonnnnnnnggggg ways. They were all whining about how heavy their bags were. When they got behind the chutes, they discoverd that Rory had hid a cement block inside each of their bags. :wink:

I guess, (seein' as how I never rodeo'd) I'll have to put a word in for Tom Miller. He was the first guy to win the average in the saddle broncs 3 years in a row at the National Finals. The gave him the Feek Tooke Award. Rod Warren done it again a couple years ago. I don't know igf he got an award or not.

Tom always was awful pretty on a saddle bronc, he is still a dang good hand and he's sure helped lots of bronc riders in this country, to go on and do good things. I feel fortuanate to have him for a neighbor.

They always said his older brother John could ride as good or better, but he wasn't interested in going down the road. I guess he was interested in other things. :wink:

They are both good hands anywhere you put them and Tom is still starting some colts and raises a few real good ones. As does John. Both are good ropers in a draggin' pen.

Tom judges now for the PRCA and if they don't use their spurs, they don't get much of a score.

Just ask Dan Mortensen and as I heard it, Rod Warren. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awe tumbleweed_texn im sooo sooo sorry! but the guys i hear stories from are usually full of BS! im not sayin all y'all are full of BS just some :p but those ones are the greatest! i love the hard to believe ones, cuz there so funny! are man look ive put another person in theripie maybe i should just go be a hermit ontop on the mountain! :cry: :wink:

well anyways sorry to hurt u!

Katy

canadian_cowgirl----somehow, my dear, I believe tumbleweed_txn WILL recover from the obvious wounds you have inflicted!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Then, again, THE TRUTH ALWAYS HURTS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My hubby and I love to go and hang with some of the older cowboys around here just to hear their stories....course, one story is never the same...twice!!! :wink: :wink:

my greatest rodeo hero is a man named bruce griffin, he owned and operated blue river rodeo company out of kansas city missouri, bruce had out standng bulls and horses, some of the bulls went to PBRs. the reason i say he is my rodeo hero is because i worked for him , i learned a lot form that old man, i learned the resposiblity of taking care of livestock and equipment , i learned some doctoring skills , i learned a bit about the buisness end of rodeo, the two biggest compliments i ever got from bruce was when and unexpected accident happened to his son and he had to go to the hospital and bruce looked at me and said '' phil their all yours , you can handle it " this was during a finals rodeo for the United Rodeo Association, and the second compliment was after he sold out he told me i was a good man and that he appricieated the work i put in over 8 yrs , when he told me that my eyes swelled up and i turned away , he was a hard but fair man to work for and rarely ever told you that you did a good job, bruce is still alive and kicking , works on saddles and other tack ,and trades some riding horses from time to time , to me he was what rodeo was about , top stock and the love of bucking animals , and timed event stock, and he was allways there to help a guy out and give advice to a old seasoned vet or a new guy just wanting to try his hand

I can't believe no one has mentioned Larry Mahan and Freckles Brown. Both were world champions and real competitors. I never got to meet Freckles, but did get to meet Mahan when I was in college. I had thought he was probably about 10 foot tall, but he was really a little guy. He certainly set the trend for future cowboys with his style and the way he was with the press.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
BMR,

Was it Jessie? Hes Ryans son and does a darn good job of fighting bulls.

I can't remember which one it was now. He did a pretty nice fight but i think he was wearing a brace on his knee and it gave out right at the end of the fight.

JB metioned the Lemel and Miller brothers. They sure fit the mold of the tough old time hands. Other toughes that would only be know as regioanl were the Macdougal brothers "Ben and Mac", Johnny Ley, Kenny Maclean, Lensgrav`s, Preszelers, Hoffers, Longbrakes and on and on.

The reason I mentioned the above was that they all were all tough mostly ranch raised cowboys that could fill the boots of any tough hand known on the national scene.

Will Rogers would probably get my vote. If not the best roper of all time, he was sure one of the best. A video called "The Roping Fool" featuring his ability is classic. Try to see it if you've not previously had the chance. He even ends up roping a mouse with a piece of string, while attired in his bed clothes. It is great entertainment.

Will Rogers was also such a tremendous philosophizer. His witty remarks were profound three quarters of a century ago, and they are just as pertinent today.

cowwrangler said:
Midnight,a black bronc from the early years,i dont remember if any ever rode him ,or if they did. there was very few

They have an arena named after him in Fort Macleod AB. Out front they have a metal mural<statue type thing> of him bucking. In this mural he has his front feet on the ground and he is kicking out behind. However the horse is completely verticle. His back hoofs are directly over his front hoofs!
When I firt saw it, I started thinking of Will James drawings. You know how he used to sensationalize his broncs. I didnt think a bronc could buck like that.
Well apparently from what others have told me "Midnight"really bucked like how the mural depicts :shock:
Its a darn wonder that he didnt turn cart wheels!

Anyway I guess my favorite rodeo star thats alive today would be Jill Bishops barrel horse "Chick".

Mrs.Greg said:
Yes JB...those American Judges do pick on poor Rod :cry:

:wink:

I get the impression that Canadian rough stock riders only go to the NFR for day money because they are not allowed to win the championship in the judged events :lol:
What annoys me is when they come up here, not only do the get a fair deal but sometimes it seems at the smaller rodeo the judges are extra generous to the bigger names from down south in the hopes they will come back next year and bring their friends.
Maybe im cynical but I dont like judged events no matter what they are. Seems like politics is everywhere as far as equine events. Just last weekend I had a team roper complaining about it. You would think team roping would be honest because its not judged but apparently there are ways that the deck can be stacked. :roll:

There was an old draft mare our neighbors used to have bucked like that-she was never ridden as far as I know-they couldn't get her loaded but she'd lead ok so they lead her to the rodeo behind a putt putt john deere-buck her four days then back on the hay mower. They say she'd stand right on her head.

RoperAB said:
When I firt saw it, I started thinking of Will James drawings. You know how he used to sensationalize his broncs. I didnt think a bronc could buck like that.
Well apparently from what others have told me "Midnight"really bucked like how the mural depicts :shock:
Its a darn wonder that he didnt turn cart wheels!

Oh laddie! You just need to get out more. Yes, the horse could move just as Will James drew them. He didn't make it up you know.

I haven't been around all that much and I've seen horses who bucked so hard they would throw themselves. And don't think them old time horses couldn't buck. :wink:

I still think Will James was the best artisit when it came to bucking horses. :)

Freckles Brown – Rode Bulls until he was in his 40's (??)

Story - Fit to be told here!
One of my old roommates "Sleepy Avant" had his leg blown of in
Korea and rode for years with an artificial leg.

He bucked off at the Cow Place right in front of the announcer who said
"Are you Ok Sleepy"?
Sleepy "I broke my leg"!
Announcer "Medics – Medics"!
Sleepy "That's Ok – It's my wooden leg"!
Announcer – "Forget the Medics – Bring in the Carpenters"

Movie "J W Coop"
Most of the facts in the movie are true - I was there - Prescot Arizona 1957/1958(?) - The Gal that through the other Gal in the Swimming Pool was in real life Clif Robertson's sister-in-law

Latest posts