• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ben, the master plan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Ben Roberts said:
Bill, how about a load of eared steers, or #2 Okies born in the USA, fed in Canada, slaughtered in the USA, and labeled Product Of Canada. Dosen't that make you feel proud!

And therein lies my second objection to COOL. I know dozens of Montana/Dakota cattle producers that send their calves to Canada for grass in the summer, then finish and slaughter them in the US.

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban. You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada. Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

Rod

Rod, M-COOL is a pro-tec-tion-ist n: an advocate of government economic protection for domestic producers through restrictions on foreign competitors. M-COOL is now and always has been aimed at Canadian beef, started by a protectionist group, through that groups lack of knowledge of the importance of Canada in our cattle industry.

Another issue is, this same group keeps saying "we are not in the beef business, we are in the cattle business." but yet they want the consumers to pay for their protection in the meat sector. I'll be glad when this M-COOL thing is over, then we can move on to more important issues that face our industry in the USA and Canada.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Oldtimer said:
Under the current rule it would be and should be labeled Product of Canada

SHOULD be labelled a product of Canada? :roll: The animal is BORN in the US, spends the MAJORITY of its life in the US, is SLAUGHTERED and PROCESSED in the US, so therefore it SHOULD be labelled a product of CANADA? Eesh. No wonder you COOL guys haven't been able to get that boat to float. The idea is ludicrous. Use some common sense for crying out loud.

Your Product of Mixed Origin might work. But now you're stuffing screws into proud US cattlemen who just happened to find a way to make more money by utilizing excess Canadian grass. I can see why they're vehemently opposed to the idea.

Oldtimer said:
And who the HE!! are you to think you should tell a foreign country how to market the product once its in their own country :???:

And who the HELL are you to think you can just stuff any countries label on beef that spends the majority of its life in YOUR country? Talk about arrogance. You can't build a product in the US, use a little of our resources, and put MY countries name on it, just because you can't think of anything better to do.

Many of your vehicles use Canadian parts. Should they be stamped Made in Canada too? How about anything made in the US that uses Canadian raw resources? You realize of course that you'd have almost nothing labelled Made in the US, right?

And talk about misleading a consumer. Product of Canada, yet its only spent 20% of its life here. It was born THERE, was fed YOUR feed, was processed by YOUR countrymen and was sold by YOUR packers.

:roll: :roll:

And who the HELL are you to think you can just stuff any countries label on beef that spends the majority of its life in YOUR country? Talk about arrogance. You can't build a product in the US, use a little of our resources, and put MY countries name on it, just because you can't think of anything better to do.

I guess you better just send it to a different country then-- eh...

Rod- What do you think is happening now? The USDA is allowing the Packer/retailers to remove all Canadian Labeling- and relabel with a US label and pass it off as US beef....

This is the fraud we're trying to end...I don't care if they put every place the cow took a sh*t on the label-- as long as they put the truth....

And all this Canadian/Mexican/Uruguain/Aussie/etal beef coming in today is not Product of the USA as the Packers purport it to be......

Oldtimer said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:
Ben Roberts said:
Bill, how about a load of eared steers, or #2 Okies born in the USA, fed in Canada, slaughtered in the USA, and labeled Product Of Canada. Dosen't that make you feel proud!

And therein lies my second objection to COOL. I know dozens of Montana/Dakota cattle producers that send their calves to Canada for grass in the summer, then finish and slaughter them in the US.

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban.
Under the current rule it would be and should be labeled Product of Canada or Product of Mixed Origin-- as it was not born, raised, and slaughtered in the US...It could have got exposed to some of those dangerous Canuck chemicals that Kathy keeps telling us about....

You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada.
Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

And who the HE!! are you to think you should tell a foreign country how to market the product once its in their own country :???: Thats where a big part of the burn is about imports-- all these treaties and and little papers arrogant Presidents keep signing that continues to give away our sovereignty-- and all these countries/foreigners and illegal immigrants that then come along and scream about their "rights" so the can shirttail on the US economic system.... :roll: :( :mad: :mad:

Rod

Oldtimer, are you a Native American? If not, what country did your ancestors immigrate from, looking for a better life in this country? My ancestors immigrated from Wales, and i'm proud they had that opportunity at time when they could immigrate with less restrictions.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Oldtimer said:

Rod- What do you think is happening now? The USDA is allowing the Packer/retailers to remove all Canadian Labeling- and relabel with a US label and pass it off as US beef....

This is the fraud we're trying to end...I don't care if they put every place the cow took a sh*t on the label-- as long as they put the truth....

And all this Canadian/Mexican/Uruguain/Aussie/etal beef coming in today is not Product of the USA as the Packers purport it to be......

Oldtimer, how are the packers/retailers removing Canadian labels, and relabeling with a US label and pass it off as US beef?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer, how are the packers/retailers removing Canadian labels, and relabeling with a US label and pass it off as US beef?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

The beef is coming in in boxes--with Product of Canada- plant and lot (shift) stamped right on them...They are removing the beef from those boxes, repackaging, then stick a US label on them (USDA inspected) and passing them off to US consumers as US beef.....

Well reading these posts,tells me the packer lovers are alive and well,Mandatory Country of Orgin is law,period.
The USA cattle man needs a means of identifying his cattle,where is the gain for all the improvements in a mans herd,where is the rewards for all the hard work if its to be comingled with beef from Canada,argentina mexico all stamped USDA ?
Who has been gaining from this comingling method for decades,its not the cattle man its the multinational packers ........M COOL will start the fairness,the captive supply reform act will finish it .................good luck
PS My opinion on cattle taken out of the country for any reason is no USDA stamp,when we loose the ability to guarantee health,the cattle loose the right to be stamped, and I dont care if they are out a day or A YEAR.

Ben, "Rod, M-COOL is a pro-tec-tion-ist n: an advocate of government economic protection for domestic producers through restrictions on foreign competitors"

Those "restrictions" already exist, Ben! The labels are already on the boxed beef. The animals are already hot branded. The Canadian won't have to do anything that they'they're not doing now. COOL is just plain common sense.

Ben, "Oldtimer, are you a Native American? If not, what country did your ancestors immigrate from, looking for a better life in this country? My ancestors immigrated from Wales, and i'm proud they had that opportunity at time when they could immigrate with less restrictions."

I'll bet your ancestors came in legally and assimilated as mine did.

HAY MAKER said:
Well reading these posts,tells me the packer lovers are alive and well,Mandatory Country of Orgin is law,period.
The USA cattle man needs a means of identifying his cattle,where is the gain for all the improvements in a mans herd,where is the rewards for all the hard work if its to be comingled with beef from Canada,argentina mexico all stamped USDA ?
Who has been gaining from this comingling method for decades,its not the cattle man its the multinational packers ........M COOL will start the fairness,the captive supply reform act will finish it .................good luck
PS My opinion on cattle taken out of the country for any reason is no USDA stamp,when we loose the ability to guarantee health,the cattle loose the right to be stamped, and I dont care if they are out a day or A YEAR.

Hay Maker, True in what you say, M-COOL is law, but in what terminology, will it be implemented? Will it benefit the producer or the multi-national corporations? We don't know that yet, my guess is it will be the multi-national corporations!

I'm not sure a label on the meat will gain the producers anything, (to much room for manipulation by the packers for me, as we are seeing that now, but we will have to live with it from now on because "it is law", then tell me where the fairness is. What will gain the producers, for their hard work and improvements, is for the cattle producers to take control of the cattle industry. Why are you so fearful of doing that?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben, "Rod, M-COOL is a pro-tec-tion-ist n: an advocate of government economic protection for domestic producers through restrictions on foreign competitors"

I think of myself as a Nationalist- and the M-COOL as being Nationalistic....I'm a believer in Jeffersons writings that we should not be importing products we do or can produce- and should be exporting only those items we have an excess of.... I'm still a strong believer in promoting the USA first and waving the Stars and Stripes...God- Country-Family- Honesty come first....I suppose in this Globalist New World Order that makes me evil-- but so be it..... :roll:

Nationalism, in its broadest sense, is a devotion to one's nation and its interests over those of all other nations

na·tion·al·ism(nsh-n-lzm, nshn-)
n.
1. Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
2. The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.

3. Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.

Ben, "Oldtimer, are you a Native American? If not, what country did your ancestors immigrate from, looking for a better life in this country? My ancestors immigrated from Wales, and i'm proud they had that opportunity at time when they could immigrate with less restrictions."

My ancestors immigrated from Germany-- but also did it legal- according to the immigration laws of the United States of America- and went thru all the proper paperwork, quarantine and health inspections, then learned and USED the English language, and applied and became US citizens as our law provides.....

Ben Roberts said:
HAY MAKER said:

Hay Maker, True in what you say, M-COOL is law, but in what terminology, will it be implemented? Will it benefit the producer or the multi-national corporations? We don't know that yet, my guess is it will be the multi-national corporations!

I'm not sure a label on the meat will gain the producers anything, (to much room for manipulation by the packers for me, as we are seeing that now, but we will have to live with it from now on because "it is law", then tell me where the fairness is. What will gain the producers, for their hard work and improvements, is for the cattle producers to take control of the cattle industry. Why are you so fearful of doing that?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

First M Cool,then Captive supply reform act then the check off,you want to see a fight ? watch the check off when M COOL is enacted,cattle men are going to demand the check off promote "Beef Bred Born Raised in the USA"
Packers know this and are trying to position themselves to derail M Cool.
Im not sure what you are asking Ben,Im not fearful of much including putting the cattle industry control where it belongs,in the hands of cattemen,if you know of a better way than organizing and demanding fairness let's hear it.....right now R CALF is doing what the cattle men want ,demanding fairness.................good luck

Oldtimer said:
Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

The beef is coming in in boxes--with Product of Canada- plant and lot (shift) stamped right on them...They are removing the beef from those boxes, repackaging, then stick a US label on them (USDA inspected) and passing them off to US consumers as US beef.....

If it is happening the way you say it is, bring legal action against them, and I don't believe a court in this country (well maybe yours, but you would loose on appeal) would uphold your case.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:
Ben Roberts said:

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

If it is happening the way you say it is, bring legal action against them, and I don't believe a court in this country (well maybe yours, but you would loose on appeal) would uphold your case.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben--It already has been brought up to authorities- I was involved in part of an investigation regarding it years ago with the swinging beef being relabled...It is against the state laws of probably every state in the nation...

The Montana Attorney General and County Attornies Assoc agreed its illegal under Montana law-- but since its "condoned" under the USDA's labeling rules, and it involves interstate trafficking then the States cannot prosecute...

But that doesn't mean that it still isn't a FRAUD--just that its a government/Administration backed one....

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Ben Roberts said:

So tell me you COOL guys: How will beef like this be labelled? Wasn't born here, will only spend 90 - 120 days of its life here, and will be exposed to your poorer feed ban. You're nuts if you think we'll allow it to be labelled Product of Canada. Its fine to draw a line, but you'd better come up with a plan for this 'multinational' beef. Perhaps you haven't been able to, and thats why COOL hasn't gotten off the ground?

Rod

I just looked it up. Product from animals that went back and forth would have to have that information available at the retail label. Product that comes from different countries, such as ground beef, would have all countries listed alphabetically.

Hay Maker, you are correct again, R-CALF is demanding fairness! That is what every-other cattlemen's organization has done, and failed to bring fairness into the cattle industry. Look at what happened to the NCBA started out as a cattlemen's organization in early 1900, today it is controled by the packers. What happened to R-CALF in seven short years, both of these organization went to Washington, DC and started demanding before they had a membership large enough to carry any power or authority. The cow/calf producers have the control of this industry, until a truck backs up to their chutes, that is when we loose the control of our industry! What I believe you and most of the cattlemen are fearful of, is keeping that control, you want someone/something to do it for you. Well my friend someone else making changes for our industry, and I don't like the changes they are making for our industry, do you?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Oldtimer said:
Ben Roberts said:
Oldtimer said:

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben--It already has been brought up to authorities- I was involved in part of an investigation regarding it years ago with the swinging beef being relabled...It is against the state laws of probably every state in the nation...

The Montana Attorney General and County Attornies Assoc agreed its illegal under Montana law-- but since its "condoned" under the USDA's labeling rules, and it involves interstate trafficking then the States cannot prosecute...

But that doesn't mean that it still isn't a FRAUD--just that its a government/Administration backed one....

Oldtimer, removing meat from a shipping container is not against the law, or is it fraud. Packaging meat for retail sale, has to be Federal Inspected that is law, not against the law or fraud. J.O. Armour (son of the founder of the Armour meat-packing empire) wrote in his autobiography " The Meat Inspection Act of 1906 was the greatest form of advertisement the meat packers ever had"

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Oldtimer, removing meat from a shipping container is not against the law, or is it fraud.

It is when you remove it from a box marked Product of Canada or Product of Uruguay-- put it in a new package with a US stamp/label, put it in the meat counter and knowing/purposely pass it off to US consumers as a US product...

That my friend is out right FRAUD.....And that is what is happening big time in this country today....

Ben, " Packaging meat for retail sale, has to be Federal Inspected that is law,.."

But how much of the imported actually is?

Ben Roberts said:
Hay Maker, you are correct again, R-CALF is demanding fairness! That is what every-other cattlemen's organization has done, and failed to bring fairness into the cattle industry. Look at what happened to the NCBA started out as a cattlemen's organization in early 1900, today it is controled by the packers. What happened to R-CALF in seven short years, both of these organization went to Washington, DC and started demanding before they had a membership large enough to carry any power or authority. The cow/calf producers have the control of this industry, until a truck backs up to their chutes, that is when we loose the control of our industry! What I believe you and most of the cattlemen are fearful of, is keeping that control, you want someone/something to do it for you. Well my friend someone else making changes for our industry, and I don't like the changes they are making for our industry, do you?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Ben,cattle men dont want others to control the industry,they want fairness,and I for one dont care who,how or where it comes from,I only know of one group demanding fairness today.......R CALF
Is it fair.......for the cattle man to identify his product,this makes all the hard work worthwhile
Is it fair ......for the cattle man to demand the check off promote domestic product,cattlemen are tired of paying advertising for their competition
good luck

Latest posts