• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ben, the master plan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben Roberts said:
Sandhusker said:
Ben, " Packaging meat for retail sale, has to be Federal Inspected that is law,.."

But how much of the imported actually is?

VERY LITTLE

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Yep, and we're finding that is biting is in the arse.

Sandhusker said:
I just looked it up. Product from animals that went back and forth would have to have that information available at the retail label. Product that comes from different countries, such as ground beef, would have all countries listed alphabetically.

Well thats fine, but whats that going to cost? How will the aforementioned cattlemen that grass in Canada make it known that their animals are multinational? How is the paper going to flow from cattle producer to the feedlot to the packer without a national ID program?

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sandhusker said:
I just looked it up. Product from animals that went back and forth would have to have that information available at the retail label. Product that comes from different countries, such as ground beef, would have all countries listed alphabetically.

Well thats fine, but whats that going to cost? How will the aforementioned cattlemen that grass in Canada make it known that their animals are multinational? How is the paper going to flow from cattle producer to the feedlot to the packer without a national ID program?

Rod

Why do you need a national program for a regional practice? Why can't they keep track of them like they keep track of drug free?

Sandhusker said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sandhusker said:

Rod

Why do you need a national program for a regional practice? Why can't they keep track of them like they keep track of drug free?

My point exactly...........if it leaves the country,it follows the same laws as all imports................good luck

Sandhusker said:

Sandhusker, I'm not familiar with your drug free stuff, so you'll have to enlighten me. But let me toss a scenario your way. This is not an exceptional scenario, but rather something that happens each of every day in reasonably substantial numbers:

Producer A calves his critters out, then sends the pairs over to Canuckville to grass them for the summer. He gets them back and backgrounds for a few months, then sells them to a feedlot for finishing. BUT, he had a few lates and some summer calvers that he kept at home. Or he had some grass at home and kept some at home while the rest went on vacation in the sunny north.

Now the feedlot recieves this mixed bag of critters. Some all-american, some multinational. None ID'ed, since individual ID tagging isn't a requirement of export or import, just branding and vaccinating. The feedlot finishes them off, then ships them to a private slaughter house where they're quartered. From the slaughter house, they're shipped to a variety of packing plants.

So how do you keep track of this, INEXPENSIVELY?

Rod

HAY MAKER said:
My point exactly...........if it leaves the country,it follows the same laws as all imports................good luck

Thats just it HayMaker, what you guys are suggesting isn't even remotely the same as all imports. In other industries, "Made In" a particular country means that a certain percentage of parts were made in that country and assembled in that country. Look at your truck. It doesn't say Made in the USA, even if it was manufactured in Dodge City. It says "ASSEMBLED in Dodge City" or assembled in Mexico. Why? Because 60 or 70% of the parts in that vehicle were built outside the US.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sandhusker said:

Sandhusker, I'm not familiar with your drug free stuff, so you'll have to enlighten me. But let me toss a scenario your way. This is not an exceptional scenario, but rather something that happens each of every day in reasonably substantial numbers:

Producer A calves his critters out, then sends the pairs over to Canuckville to grass them for the summer. He gets them back and backgrounds for a few months, then sells them to a feedlot for finishing. BUT, he had a few lates and some summer calvers that he kept at home. Or he had some grass at home and kept some at home while the rest went on vacation in the sunny north.

Now the feedlot recieves this mixed bag of critters. Some all-american, some multinational. None ID'ed, since individual ID tagging isn't a requirement of export or import, just branding and vaccinating. The feedlot finishes them off, then ships them to a private slaughter house where they're quartered. From the slaughter house, they're shipped to a variety of packing plants.

Rod

First of all, I doubt this scenario covers a large percentage of the total herd in the US. However, there is no one way that you have to use to identify the cattle. Those cattle that stayed home will not have the CAN brand, so there's no question with those. As far as the rest, don't they have to be ID'ed when they cross the border now?

Actually I read a news article on the internet within the last month so you can probably google it and find it.

To sum up the article.... China wanted USA beef only and would agree to import beef. Evidently the agreement with most countries is that once the beef is here for 100 days it is shipped out as USA beef (no longer a product of any other country) and China only wanted USA beef. The trade negotiations kept insisting on them accepting the 100 day rule and they finally relented but as you can see they aren't allowing any beef imports.

Rod said:

Rod, your argument is exactly why the packers don't want COOL...they can no longer ship meat supplies freely across borders so they can pit producers of one country against producers of another.

Ben, MCOOL works...I just finished a piece of salmon my wife bought from Sam's. She bought it because it was a product of USA, not China. With MCOOL on food, countries like China can be held accountable for their products. What I can't understand is why Canadians would be against MCOOL...it should help them sell their superior products!

I'm not sure a label on the meat will gain the producers anything, (to much room for manipulation by the packers for me, as we are seeing that now, but we will have to live with it from now on because "it is law", then tell me where the fairness is. What will gain the producers, for their hard work and improvements, is for the cattle producers to take control of the cattle industry. Why are you so fearful of doing that? ,

Been watching this MCOOL arguement, it goes back and forth. Too much room for manipulation by the packers ,everyone says. Thats right ,BUT when the Packing Plant system from ScoringAg is used , manipulation is captured in real time every second of every hour of every day of every week of every month of operation of every animal or part of a animal moving through a packing plant at the speed of commerence. No room for cheaters ! Even commingling can be tracked.

RobertMac said:
Rod said:

Rod, your argument is exactly why the packers don't want COOL...they can no longer ship meat supplies freely across borders so they can pit producers of one country against producers of another.

Ben, MCOOL works...I just finished a piece of salmon my wife bought from Sam's. She bought it because it was a product of USA, not China. With MCOOL on food, countries like China can be held accountable for their products. What I can't understand is why Canadians would be against MCOOL...it should help them sell their superior products!

Canadians are not against mCOOL as long as ALL meat is labeled including US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I welcome the opportunity to lay a package of quality barley fed Candian beef with a Maple Leaf on it along side a package of Eared Southern US beef labeled as such.

The arguement is caused by idiots who think a piece of meat from an animal BORN IN CANADA but fed chicken crap in the US and then slaughtered and labeled in a US plant as product of Canada??????????
One would have to be a complete fool to think that is likely to happen! :roll:

Put everything on a level playing field and label it whether US or imported and we'll sure as hell meet you head on.

OVI wrote:

And who the HE!! are you to think you should tell a foreign country how to market the product once its in their own country Thats where a big part of the burn is about imports-- all these treaties and and little papers arrogant Presidents keep signing that continues to give away our sovereignty-- and all these countries/foreigners and illegal immigrants that then come along and scream about their "rights" so the can shirttail on the US economic system....
Now Oldtimer you aren't crticizing Ronald Reagan are you or is your memory once again as selective as all get out????

He was the one who signed CUSTA which was the precursor of NAFTA.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1079/is_n2132_v88/ai_6536491
But that has been pointed out to you before hasn't it??

:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Put everything on a level playing field and label it whether US or imported and we'll sure as hell meet you head on.

There's the ticket Bill. A level playing field. No fear of "cool" from your truly either.

Sandhusker said:
First of all, I doubt this scenario covers a large percentage of the total herd in the US. However, there is no one way that you have to use to identify the cattle. Those cattle that stayed home will not have the CAN brand, so there's no question with those. As far as the rest, don't they have to be ID'ed when they cross the border now?

That scenario may not cover a large percentage of the total herd in the US, but it covers a rather large number of mom and pop butcher shops in small town US. So unless you'e willing to put every one of those small town butcher shops out of business, you'll need something that works for them too.

On the ID front, I forgot about that CCIA tag. But how will that help you once the animal is quartered? Your slaughter houses can't make the necessary entries into the CCIA database.

Nothing about COOL is "easy", as was discovered by your seafood COOL. Thats why I believe its going to be extremely expensive for producers, both yours and ours.

RM,

The point of all my ramblings with Sandhusker is that I'm not afraid of COOL, but rather afraid of anything that increases costs of our product, whether it be American or Canadian. Those costs will come out of our pockets, while any premiums that can be had will go straight into the packers pockets.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
The point of all my ramblings with Sandhusker is that I'm not afraid of COOL, but rather afraid of anything that increases costs of our product, whether it be American or Canadian. Those costs will come out of our pockets, while any premiums that can be had will go straight into the packers pockets.

Rod

I fully agree, Rod, even though Sandhusker is my banker. :wink:

Rod, "On the ID front, I forgot about that CCIA tag. But how will that help you once the animal is quartered? Your slaughter houses can't make the necessary entries into the CCIA database."

Aren't they keeping track of the drug-free animals after they're quartered? If the slaughter house can't make data entries, they'll either not buy those cattle or they'll fix it so they can. We're not building a rocket here.

Soapweed said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod

OK, get your equipment lined up - the sale is next Saturday. :wink: :lol:

Bill said:
RobertMac said:
Rod said:

Canadians are not against mCOOL as long as ALL meat is labeled including US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I welcome the opportunity to lay a package of quality barley fed Candian beef with a Maple Leaf on it along side a package of Eared Southern US beef labeled as such.

The arguement is caused by idiots who think a piece of meat from an animal BORN IN CANADA but fed chicken crap in the US and then slaughtered and labeled in a US plant as product of Canada??????????
One would have to be a complete fool to think that is likely to happen! :roll:

Bill, I take no offense at you denigrating my cattle...my customers know better. :wink:

About the only way you can get that Maple Leaf on a package of your meat is to sell through Randy!!! :eek: :shock:
Randy, hope things are going well for you and Pure Country.

Bill, here is a label alternative for you and Rod..."Imported from Canadian". That's about all you can hope for from Tyson and Cargill. :lol:

I could care less about COOL, like i've said many times before, I just don't see the signifincance in it. But, I will guarantee this, within two years after the implementation of COOL the cattle producers won't be any better off for it!

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Soapweed said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod

How many more costs can there be? The packers/processers already have the needed information NOW! We're not building this from scratch, we're just sending the information one step down the line!

Also, why are you just looking at costs and ignoring the benefits?

Latest posts