• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Conneally Freightliner

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
Denny said:
We weighed our bulls today our top gaining bull is gaining 4.27#s per day and he's a Freightliner son lowest gainer was a Red angus at 3.4#s per day.My favorite bull an Alliance son is gaining 3.97#s per day.I was really happy with their progress.The bulls are getting 9#s of 14% cattle feed,12#s of wet distillars grain and 2nd cutting clover grass mix hay.

Why do you want a yearling bull to gain that much? I like a calf to wean off with no creep in the 700's and gain about 2.75 ADG. 1400 lb yearling bull weights are impressive but not practical unless you plan on supplementing that calf all breeding season. There is a difference between fattening steers for slaughter and developing bulls for breeding. I'm not trying to throw you under the bus but personally this is what I prefer.

I did'nt think they would gain that much the first 100 days of winter they were gaining 2#s per day on the heifer ration they would'nt have made a 1000#s by turnout the bulls have been on the new ration since Feb 1st.I would like a calf to wean off at 700 lbs also but our poor grass and lack of last year put a limit on weaning weights..Our calves normally average 550#s at weaning not 700 it takes lots of high dollar fertilizer here to get those weights..

Besides your nasty pm you are showing a very slanted view, help could be available.

We have very good genitics up here, yes we do use AI and proud of it. In your book learnin, try something that has a world view and you may be surprized that the world is not flat, or stops at the Good Old USA Border.

When you realize that, life could be alot more fun. Have a good one.

CA

canadian angus said:
Besides your nasty pm you are showing a very slanted view, help could be available.

We have very good genitics up here, yes we do use AI and proud of it. In your book learnin, try something that has a world view and you may be surprized that the world is not flat, or stops at the Good Old USA Border.

CA

For the record I was sent an equally nasty PM. I understand that you AI and AI to some of the same bulls we do down here. I have had enough with Canadian producers downgrading US producers and their associations. I've got thousands of great cattle breeders to choose from down here without tainting the herd with "canadian angus".

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
canadian angus said:

CA

For the record I was sent an equally nasty PM. I understand that you AI and AI to some of the same bulls we do down here. I have had enough with Canadian producers downgrading US producers and their associations. I've got thousands of great cattle breeders to choose from down here without tainting the herd with "canadian angus".
You know what I think your full of ****...Canadian producers DO NOT downgrade US producers...but boy there are some...you for one that sure does get really ignorant with the Canadians posters on here...look at how you treated a 14 boy and a 16 year old girl that just happens to be Canadian,coincedence I think not. Grow-up and try getting a more positive attitude in life,you'd come across as a much nicer person.You don't believe what I said,do a poll ask Americans only to answer if they think the Canadians downgrade the American producers..I trust you you'll be surprised.

WHSH:

I have been on this site a LONG, LONG time. Long before it was this cool format. I rarely have seen the Canadian be disrespectful, unless someone has been disrespectful to them. Generally folks are respectful, unless YOU give them a reason to be otherwise.

You WHSH are disrespectful to just about EVERYONE on this board, Canadian, American, or otherwise.

If you were smart and wise (which by the way are two different things) you would open your eyes and mind and learn there are great operations raising great cattle of all breeds in all states and countries.

You and I both can learn something from every single person who posts on ranchers.net. Instead of criticising everything others do and say, try and find what you can take home from it. That is how one improves themselves and their operations.

I have no idea how old you are, but you act like a 13 year old girl. I'd say act your age. Straighten up. Heck I work with 13 year olds who are more professional and mature than you.

TTB :wink:

Turkey Track Bar said:
WHSH:

I have been on this site a LONG, LONG time. Long before it was this cool format. I rarely have seen the Canadian be disrespectful, unless someone has been disrespectful to them. Generally folks are respectful, unless YOU give them a reason to be otherwise.

You WHSH are disrespectful to just about EVERYONE on this board, Canadian, American, or otherwise.

If you were smart and wise (which by the way are two different things) you would open your eyes and mind and learn there are great operations raising great cattle of all breeds in all states and countries.

You and I both can learn something from every single person who posts on ranchers.net. Instead of criticising everything others do and say, try and find what you can take home from it. That is how one improves themselves and their operations.

I have no idea how old you are, but you act like a 13 year old girl. I'd say act your age. Straighten up. Heck I work with 13 year olds who are more professional and mature than you.

TTB :wink:[/quo

Gee TTB what have against 13 year old girls. :wink:

Very sorry for the interuption between Northern Rancher and myself, just trying to get a point across. Cory and I have known each other for a long time and the who's on first was supposed to be the end of a fun time. The neat thing about message board is you can vent your biased opinion and have fun or bad and it seems this has gone that way.

I did send an e mail to the lad in question, saying that our cattle were not mad but crazy to live in this climate and got this in return.Inbox :: Message
To: canadian angus
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:11 am
Subject: Piece of s***
You're a piece of s*** and thanks for giving me another reason to donate $100 more dollars to R-Calf in honor of you. I'll be dipped in s*** before I'll let some foreign bastard belittle my country. You need to worry less about R-Calf and more about where your next post feed ban positive is coming from

In now way did I belittle any children knowingly if that is implied and only bantered about the childness anout BSE and the protectioness of the USA.

If I in anyway upset the ranching public in any way I DO SAY SORRY.

CA

I hope Canada doesn't ever get pisst and turn off the oil spicket...since we have such a hell of a time drilling new wells or creating refinery capacity, or stop shipping fertilizer down here. We'll be in a world of hurt beyond tit for tat for the BSE hysteria non-issue. If you guys up North ever heard Johnny Smith and his radio rants you'd understand where some of the nastiness from this region originates. My wife and I have had some wonderful vacations in Canada, and have always found the people to be very friendly and hospitable.

What is it about Freightliner that makes him a good bull? When I look at him I ask myself the question "How does he help to produce a more economical and desired product"? With an IMF EPD of .11, a REA EPD of .20, $G of 7.3, YG of 1.71, and a $B of 31.78 I feel that the industry has passed him by. It would be very hard for me to sell a Freightliner bull simply because we are seeing a lot of people who are savy to what the $ values support and the ultrasound represent. I am in no way "calling anyone out", I would simply like to know what makes him better that a bull with a great set of EPD's and values.

Angus Breeder said:
What is it about Freightliner that makes him a good bull? When I look at him I ask myself the question "How does he help to produce a more economical and desired product"? With an IMF EPD of .11, a REA EPD of .20, $G of 7.3, YG of 1.71, and a $B of 31.78 I feel that the industry has passed him by. It would be very hard for me to sell a Freightliner bull simply because we are seeing a lot of people who are savy to what the $ values support and the ultrasound represent. I am in no way "calling anyone out", I would simply like to know what makes him better that a bull with a great set of EPD's and values.

The $ value epds are based on the assumption that all cattle have the same metabolic rates. They are just mathematical calculations, error going in, error coming out.

The marbling and ribeye are above 0, but has ultrasound proved to be 100% accurate? I don't know. Never have Angus breeders used more information, but choice cattle are dropping. I don't know the answer to why is that?

If Freightliner is producing cattle that work, that makes him a good bull. I haven't used him, but his epd's sure aren't the main reason.

Angus cattle in general have the genetics to marble. Ribeye can get too small, but not a huge problem. Basic ease of calving, reasonable milk and good mothering cows are all that have built the breed. Anyone that selects too far for 1 trait will find themselves not in fashion in short order.

I understand that the ultrasound data is not rock solid but on a proven bull there is carcass info on thousands of calves. For illustration purposes lets pick a bull similar to Freightliner and assume he has higher $ values and higher EPDS "straight across the board", then why would you not use that bull. I am not saying that the calves are no good or unmarketable, there are just more economically profitable bulls in the breed from which to choose. I am not going to argue on what works for me will work for you or vice versa. Simply put with so much data at our fingertips and so many high caliber bulls to choose from I feel that those bulls with a $35.00 values would fade into the sunset quickly.

Topic of Connealy Freightliner has turned interesting. I understand why cattlemen that raise their cattle on grass and make their cows work for a living like Freightliner. They flat are able to turn forage into lbs. of beef. Pretty important in our business I believe.

I am an advocate for EPDs but their are a great many traits that are important that they are unable to measure. As for the dollar indexes that the breeds have turned out well lets just say its going to take some time before I am a believer.

I had a visit with a ring man that works a lot of sales in this area and we were on the topic of the lack of strucural corrrectness of some of todays Angus cattle and he said "pretty much everyone can add and subtract but the real breeders look at their cattle".

In our country the snow is deep and cold for a good spell, you can give me all the EPD's you want, they have to work and last. We also raise Red Angus and do love the Stayability Epd. Does tha not cover most of the things that we look for. Was at Buffalo Creel sale one time and they were talking about new Epd's that was wanted by the Black Angus people that could muddy the water more.

If you look at the Percision cattle the claim to fame is making them a way to frail. As NR and I bantered back and forth we both make our cattle work and the hustle easy doing cattle work for us and there isn't an Epd foe it.

A Rancher said one time,* I was asked what does a good cow look like, and he told them the one that brings me home a good calf each fall and is rebred, and you learn to like what she looks like.*

That will work for most, epd's is a tool and you can hammer or dig with a tool too.

CA

It is entirely possible to have fancy cows that can range and forage.

Management is a huge issue. I have read articles about older cows showing the younger ones what to eat.

I have bought cows that "never saw any grain" and fell apart because they were waiting for the second cut alfalfa from Sept 1 on.

I bought 33 purebred females this past fall from central Alberta, the cows lost 200 pounds in the first 2 months here, they had to walk for water and feed. Got an ext granddaughter in that bunch......geesh....maybe she'll make a recip.

My cows regularly make it to 14 years with many going to 18.

Structure, udders and feet, disposition, desire to calve, mothering ability, all traits that are not by the numbers.

The Freightliners were hard coommodities to buy today-topped the sale. I sell the majority of my cattle on a carcass grid and I put pretty much zero weight on the Angus $ E.P.D.'s. My major concern is the factory-my cowherd-they are the kind of the cattle that can get a job there and keep it for a long long time. I've done all right with cattle that 'the industry' has passed by-I like them-they grid like bandits and they are thrifty to run.

Latest posts