• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Disgusting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

FH, of course there is no valid excuse. There are, however, some decent people who are very hyper, and when excited for whatever reason, may not even think to check to assure that the trailer gate is latched, or that someone else may have tied a horse to the back before driving off. Tragic, but not criminal excepting that all ignorance can have 'criminal' results.

I didn't intend to protray that the people harming the hrse are not guilty. However, why are names printed BEFORE charges are made? Stuff on the internet should respect that, don't you agree? "Everyone" in a community may "know" something, which upon investigation proves to not be true at all. I don't know the facts, and doubt many people truly do.

Whomever is guilty deserves proper punishment, and many of us would like particularly diabolic , probably illegal, punishment to be administered. Fortunately, we live under rule of law. It does sound as though the guilty parties may not be safe in that community. HOpefully, all those who witnessed and did nothing to stop, that abuse will also be punished.

If rumors are correct, this may be a strong wake up call to get serious about punishing recreational drug use and abuse.

mrj

These incidents need to be handled swiftly and harshly by the ag community in order to keep HSUS or PETA from using it to paint animal users as animal abusers. They want us to appear heartless, but it is apparent that we all care deeply that abuse such as this occurs.

Sheriff: Arrest will come soon in horse theft case
Delay in arrest not reflective of problems with investigation
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009 - 12:40:38 am CDT

FORT PIERRE — Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun said Tuesday arrests will come in the case of alleged horse stealing despite a delay.

Rathbun submitted his department's investigation on Friday to Thomas Maher, the part-time Stanley County State's Attorney. Rathbun said the delay in getting a judge's signature on an arrest warrant is reflective of a busy schedule, not any problems with the case.

This is normal procedure for an investigation where arrests were not made on the scene, Rathbun said.

"We looked into all the different names that were being tossed around," Rathbun said. "This is the procedure we go through. You turn it in and request a warrant, and when you get a warrant then you do the arrest."

Rathbun said much of the information circulating about who was involved in the horse stealing case and what happened to the horse rodeo Dually is incorrect. He said his department took time to investigate rumors before settling on suspects deputies believe committed crimes.

In the incident in question, Dually was found by a Sheriff's Deputy in a residential neighborhood of Fort Pierre early in the morning on July 5, the day after he had competed in the barrel riding competition at the Fort Pierre Fourth of July Rodeo. Dually, who had been left in his pen in the Stanley County Fairgrounds by his owner Wendy Halweg, was recovered with rope burns and other injuries of undetermined severity to his legs and other parts of his body.

After arrests are made, the Stanley County Sheriff's Department will release details about charges.

"It's just a matter of waiting," Rathbun said.

Some of you may need to read a couple of times the news story posted by Twister Frost.

The points of my earlier posts remain the same: we no longer hang people on conjecture, suspicion, and accusation. Arrests, trials, and convictions must come first.

mrj

Kola, you're being obtuse! Ever heard of the concept of "innocent until proven guilty"?? It's an idea that has been introduced some time ago. It might be fun for you to read up on it. :lol: What MRJ is saying is a fact of our legal system. Golly, you'd jump on a grizzly bear's back if you thought you could make him squeal :!: :shock:

HP

Oh, I don't know, I just couldn't help myself this morning. :lol: Maybe I have some work to do today?? Better see about that. :shock:

kolanuraven said:
mrj said:
Some of you may need to read a couple of times the news story posted by Twister Frost.

The points of my earlier posts remain the same: we no longer hang people on conjecture, suspicion, and accusation. Arrests, trials, and convictions must come first.

mrj

You must know these boys

kola:

I told myself I was going to stay outta this...but enough is enough.

High Plains is right...you are outta line for your comment. I don't think MRJ (or I, for that matter) have a clue who did or did not do this. Yes, we both, and likely others on this very site probably know or know of some of the rumored people who supposedly did this.

When the names of those who are indicated are announced, it's a pretty good chance that we know or know of them or their families; if the reports about the perpetrators being involved with rodeo and from the area are even close to true. Kola, have no doubt, MRJ (and others including me) will support throwing the book at these jackasses.

You see Kola, you brag about how you know so much about our West River lifestyle. However, I think one little thing you might forget is South Dakota is small and our ranching and rodeoing community is even smaller. The Dakotas and our rural communities are really one small town connected by one really long road.

My point in all of this is, that, MRJ (and myself) hope they hang the abusing jackasses when they are convicted. But, lets let a jury convict the right individuals rather than "we" convict who "we" might think they are...

Make sense??? Trust me we all want the right thing to be done here...to the right people.

And, High Plains and MRJ are correct what ever did happen to innocent until found guilty?

Kola...you're a good person who's heart is in the right place, but in my opinion, your track in getting this will allow for a derailment.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

kolanuraven said:
Turkey Track Bar said:
kolanuraven said:
You must know these boys

kola:

I told myself I was going to stay outta this...but enough is enough.

High Plains is right...you are outta line for your comment. I don't think MRJ (or I, for that matter) have a clue who did or did not do this. Yes, we both, and likely others on this very site probably know or know of some of the rumored people who supposedly did this.

When the names of those who are indicated are announced, it's a pretty good chance that we know or know of them or their families; if the reports about the perpetrators being involved with rodeo and from the area are even close to true. Kola, have no doubt, MRJ (and others including me) will support throwing the book at these jackasses.

You see Kola, you brag about how you know so much about our West River lifestyle. However, I think one little thing you might forget is South Dakota is small and our ranching and rodeoing community is even smaller. The Dakotas and our rural communities are really one small town connected by one really long road.

My point in all of this is, that, MRJ (and myself) hope they hang the abusing jackasses when they are convicted. But, lets let a jury convict the right individuals rather than "we" convict who "we" might think they are...

Make sense??? Trust me we all want the right thing to be done here...to the right people.

And, High Plains and MRJ are correct what ever did happen to innocent until found guilty?

Kola...you're a good person who's heart is in the right place, but in my opinion, your track in getting this will allow for a derailment.

Cheers---

WHAT ?????

Is it a sin to ask if someone if they know someone else?

I the earlier post it seemed as if this poster had knowledge or knew these people.

EXCUUUUUUUSSSEEEE the hell outta me :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No Kola is isn't a sin. Actually what difference does it make if she knows them or not? I think MRJ would say what she said if she did or did not know them.

So what if she knows those who have been rumored to do this? Does that preclude them from being innocent until proven guilty? Does it change if she doesn't know them?

Is it a sin to judge someone before proven guilty?

Cheers---

kolanuraven said:
Just a random question?

You never asked just a random question before?

Earlier posts of this poster seemed to show a familiarity with the people....and FORGIVE ME...but I just asked a question.

Do I need to clear any questions with you from now on???

You and I both know these kids will walk scot-free?

Kola...

It's America...as of now you can question whoever you want, just as I can. Get on with your bad self.

I highly doubt (99.99% sure) they will not get off Scot free. I am more confident of that each day. The State will not release on indictment that will not stand up in court. Period. I think they are working very hard to have the strongest case possible.

You'll probably run me up the flag pole for this, but I personally worry they will not get a fair trial in Pierre/Ft. Pierre, or for that matter anywhere West River. Everyone wants prosecution and conviction in this case, and so much so, I think our community is willing to convict non-guilty parties just to have conviction. So, I really hope the state's case is so strong that doesn't happen. According to the Rapid City Journal this morning, there are two suspects named in the case they took to the State's Attorney, who is now waiting on the judge's signature.

One thing I think many probably fail to understand in the rural Dakotas, is many of our counties have part time state's attorneys, many of whom don't live in the community they serve. And the same is true for judges...they have a wide territory with many counties to serve as well. I believe the circuit Ft. Pierre is in has 14 counties in it's jurisdiction.

Until then, let's pray for Wendy and Dually; and for a fair, sound, and prompt prosecution and conviction.

Cheers---

State's Attorney: Horse-theft investigation will take time to get right
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Friday, Jul 17, 2009 - 02:42:16 pm CDT

PIERRE — The Stanley County State's Attorney said Friday he is taking time to make sure he has a case which will stand up in court in the incident of a horse allegedly stolen and abused July 5.

Thomas P. Maher said he has no timeline for arrests in the case, though he acknowledged facing popular pressure to take action quickly.

"People are real worked up," Maher said. "I don't have a deadline, nor do I have a timeline. I work on a file and I'm basically gathering information."

The Stanley County Sheriff's Department submitted its report on the incident to Maher July 10. Now Maher said he is conducting a further investigation to make sure he can get convictions for anyone who is arrested.

Maher said anger over injuries suffered by the rodeo horse Dually has made the investigation more difficult.

"This affects people's willingness to cooperate with law enforcement," Maher said. "They get dodgy and don't want to get involved."

Also slowing the investigation is the mobile lifestyle of many people in the rodeo community Maher wants to interview.

"Cowboys, they don't wait around to stay in contact," Maher said. "They're moving from one place to the next, going from one rodeo to the next. There's some of those people that might have important information."

While Maher declined to predict whether or not arrests would come out of his investigation, he said his investigation is by-the-book and encouraged people to wait for the process to conclude.

"The thing to do is just wait and see like we do with all these other crimes that are committed," Maher said. "There'll be charges or not. That's what we always do. The process works itself out."

Maher said he will seek a judge's signature on arrest warrants only when he is satisfied his case will stand up.

"I wish I could tell you that something will happen," Maher said. "As soon as I give a date then that becomes some sort of artificial deadline. I watch the file until I'm satisfied. I don't pull the trigger until I am — and I'm not. There's stuff that comes in from day to day. I'll change my decision when I see that I'm satisfied."

Copyright © 2009 Capital Journal

Mrs.Greg said:
I'm gonna jump in and prob pisss everyone off here.What these boys did to that horse is totally disgusting,no doute at all about that but often we forget that humans trump animals. These boys need help,if the Meth story's true,they have a mind altering addiction that needs treatment...NOW. The dad sticking up for his troubled teen who he knows needs help...FRIG who wouldn't do that if he can talk to the judge and get him into a rehab center perfect!!

I love animals esp horses but I think we need to remember that they're are troubled humans involved here....

troubled humans......i hate to admit it but i'll agree with you on that one, but whether there were drugs involved or not, i don't feel it makes one dam bit of difference :!: if they were high on something then i say just add a few more years on to thier sentence for drug use....they will sober up in an 8X8 cell.

Mrs.Greg said:
I'm gonna jump in and prob pisss everyone off here.What these boys did to that horse is totally disgusting,no doute at all about that but often we forget that humans trump animals. These boys need help,if the Meth story's true,they have a mind altering addiction that needs treatment...NOW. The dad sticking up for his troubled teen who he knows needs help...FRIG who wouldn't do that if he can talk to the judge and get him into a rehab center perfect!!

I love animals esp horses but I think we need to remember that they're are troubled humans involved here....

You know Mrs. Greg, you make some very valid points. I still hope they get conviction, and if the suspects are on drugs, I hope they can get them straightened out too.

Meth is horrid stuff. They say you are addicted after you use it once. One of my high school friends will tell you that is a true statement in his case. Jason is very smart, a great husbandryman of animals (particularly cattle and horses,) and a talented athlete both in the arena and on the field, and he got mixed up in the stuff. He went from being a guy who played football and rodeoed at a Div. 1 college, both on scholarship; while maintaining a 3.5 GPA or better and graduating in four years to then managing a first rate feedyard, to nothing...in short order. All because of meth.

Jason now day labors for my Dad. My Dad sees the potential. Jason went to rehab at one of the finest Meth rehab facilities in the US. They flat told my Dad over 95% of their patients relapse. :shock: And that is at the best treatment facility. Imagine the rates at an average facility?

I will say, Jason smoked his fair share of pot in high school. I personally believe this was his hook to taking bigger and bigger risks in the drug arena. I will also say I think Meth abuse/addiction is a larger issue in rodeo than most of us want to believe; and I think it is worse in some events than others.

Thanks Mrs Greg for bringing this to light. I still hope the perpetrators get the book, irregardless of substances they were under the influence of, but I also hope they can get treated too.

Cheers---

PS Where have you been hiding? It's nice to see you back!

Justin said:
Mrs.Greg said:

troubled humans......i hate to admit it but i'll agree with you on that one, but whether there were drugs involved or not, i don't feel it makes one dam bit of difference :!: if they were high on something then i say just add a few more years on to thier sentence for drug use....they will sober up in an 8X8 cell.

:agree:

Cheers---

Latest posts