• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Disgusting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Now DCI is involved--it would be interesting to see whether the help was asked for or mandated, either way I would say it still will take some time, but at least there will be some sort of action in the end. Based on the KELO news tonight, it sounds like they received so much feedback after their show last night that maybe that is what helped get DCI involved. State's Attorney did contact KELO to clarify that the horse was "not found tied to a tree, but in a pen."

DCI Investigates Horse Theft

The Division of Criminal Investigation is involved in the case of Dually, the stolen horse. KELOLAND News received dozens of emails, phone calls and faxes, from Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas and California, from people who want to see whoever stole Dually brought to justice.

Horse lovers are angry. Not only that someone would steal someone else's horse, but also that someone might have abused it.

"I would want to know who that person is and put them in prison right away," Riley Riepma said.

Thirteen-year-old Riepma has been riding horses since she was two. She shows them now and just finished in the top 10 at the nationals in New Mexico.

Riley says stealing a horse is nothing like someone stealing a car.

"Because horses are living creatures and they have feelings. They can't be replaced," Riepma said.

Dually was taken from the Stanley County Fairgrounds over the 4th of July weekend and was found the next morning with rope burns around his face and legs. He's still being cared for at a veterinary clinic.

Iif you ask anyone who has ever owned a horse, they'll tell you, they're like family.

"That's just about as bad as a sister or brother," Riepma said.

Riley's grandpa, who also shows horses, is just as disgusted.

"I can't imagine anyone abusing a horse to the point where it can't be used and might have to be put down, " Ron Wieman said.

Tthe Stanley County State's Attorney, Tom Maher says Dually was not found tied to a tree, but in a holding pen at 921 1/2 Sale Barn Road in Fort Pierre. He's says anyone with reliable or first-hand knowledge should contact the Stanley County Sheriff's office.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=88319

Sorry for the cut and paste--I just thought this was strange--I find it strange that DCI gets mentioned in KELOland, but State's Attorney doesn't give that news to his constituents. I notice that it says it is 'his' investigation, also.

Quest for information continues in Dually case
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Friday, Aug 07, 2009 - 12:54:41 am CDT

FORT PIERRE — Stanley County State's Attorney Tom Maher said Thursday he is continuing his investigation into alleged theft of the rodeo horse Dually, but declined to give any details about the investigation's progress.

Maher is asking for any witnesses to come forward to the police with information. Even people who didn't witness a crime in progress might have useful information, Maher said.

"Sometimes it takes a little time for the dust to settle," he said. "There might have been some people right away, the first week, who saw something but didn't know what it was. If somebody took my dad's car and ditched it down by the park, they might have seen an Escalade down by the park but didn't think there was a crime to it."

Maher said several people have come forward with useful information in the past week.

"Now that this has had quite a bit of time laying out there in the press, there's some of those people that might say, 'I saw so and so' or 'I saw this, maybe I should talk to the police,'" he said. "We've had some people like this."

But Maher declined to answer several questions about the status of the investigation. He would not speculate about possible charges or speak to whether he believes this investigation is simple or complicated.

"I think there'll be a time when the truth will come out, and it will come out when there's been a full, detailed investigation," Maher said. "I'm going to have to remain silent."

But Maher said the investigation is proceeding.

"I'm trying to get it done," he said. "What am I considering? I'll decide that once I'm satisfied I have the facts."

Copyright © 2009 Capital Journal
http://www.capjournal.com/articles/2009/08/07/news/doc4a7bc16410110037240108.txt

I live a long ways from Fort Pierre, I have no idea of what really happened or what was done to the horse. All I know is what I read and what I hear. Every time the story is told it gets worse.

We have seen things like that happen before. A group of punk kids, (young adults) with nothing to do but get drunk. Envoy might be involved. Someone says "we should hide her horse and make her believe it was stolen" no more is said about it. Pretty soon a couple of the group leave, looking to find something more exciting. Then they think about the comment. A half hour or so later they return to the group and say "we got the horse". They all join in, who knows what will happen next.

Rodeo horse Dually released from clinic
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 - 10:05:41 pm CDT

PIERRE -- Owner Wendy Halweg said her horse Dually was released Aug. 5 from the veterinary clinic where he has been recovering for the past month.

Dually had been under veterinary care since July 5, when he was recovered injured outside a house on Sale Barn Road in Fort Pierre after disappearing from his stall on the Stanley County Fairgrounds.

Halweg said Dually is still slowly recovering.

"He's just healing," she said. "I'm wrapping legs and cleaning every day. He's confined to a stall and we walk him for exercise each day. We're making progress -- slow progress."

Dually is still being monitored by a veterinarian and is due for a checkup next week, Halweg said.

Halweg encouraged anyone with knowledge about the incident where Dually disappeared from his stall and was recovered injured to contact law enforcement.

"If anybody has information, don't think that it's not needed," she said. "If they've seen anything or have anything to come forward with, that would be great."

Update of sorts--no movement from the prosecutor, but I think the little CapJournal is doing its best to keep it in the media. I sure feel bad--the wheels seem to be grinding.

Maher: Investigation continues in Dually case
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Tuesday, Sep 01, 2009 - 01:00:26 am CDT

FORT PIERRE — Stanley County State's Attorney Thomas P. Maher said Monday he is still investigating the July 5 injury and alleged theft of the rodeo horse Dually.

"The investigation is continuing," Maher said.

Maher said the investigation has had developments but declined to discuss them with the Capital Journal, a stance he has taken since the beginning of the case.

Maher declined to address criticism by some rodeo riders about the perceived slow pace of the investigation.

"I'm not going to go there," he said.

As state's attorney, Maher is investigating how Dually came to be removed from his pen at the Stanley County Rodeo Grounds and found by a Stanley County Sheriff's Deputy outside a house on Sale Barn Road, and how he sustained rope burns and other injuries.

Maher has said in past interviews he will not seek arrests until he is certain he has a case capable of standing up in court.

http://www.capjournal.com/articles/2009/09/01/news/doc4a9cb7c78c2cc136432432.txt

At Central States Fair they said that Wendy had gotten an attorney, to make things happen a little faster.....
I want to take my hat off to capital motors for every vehicle bought, they donated $100.00 to Dually..... :tiphat:

Do not know the answer to this one. Other than this tidbit of info in the paper, this is the first of any info since about the 5th of August. DCI was to be involved, and in my opinion, that would be a good thing, but we won't hear anything from them but through an indictment. My understanding is that an indictment can always be amended, just as another arrest warrant can be made out for a new perpetrator.

A few weeks ago the scuttlebutt had it that one of them was hiding out in our fair county......fwiw.

As frustrating as it is, I think that based on how the justice system operates today it seems better for investigators to go slow and careful and avoid the possibility that a lawyer can get off the guilty based on a stupid procedural issue or other such nonsense.

RSL said:
As frustrating as it is, I think that based on how the justice system operates today it seems better for investigators to go slow and careful and avoid the possibility that a lawyer can get off the guilty based on a stupid procedural issue or other such nonsense.
What Justice System!! ----The same one that's in Washington !! :mad:

They have issued a warrant

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/09/29/news/top/doc4ac27587aee86914600451.txt

NEhusker said:
They have issued a warrant

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/09/29/news/top/doc4ac27587aee86914600451.txt

thanks for the update. i hadn't heard that news yet. hopefully that kid will get whats coming to him. i wonder about the others that were involved?

Latest posts